• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W - Brawl + to Melee

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
All things aside, the two are very different games.

I kinda got into the habit of playing Brawl GaW like Melee GaW, and things turn out pretty good for me...

MaxTheSlayer

Smash Cadet
I secondary G&W in melee and i main G&W in brawl they're wayyy too different. Never tried G&W+ though

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully it isn't to choppy for the first video but, here go two videos. One is B+ the other Melee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5PHNhfaOK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mb1Wqbj7wM&feature=related

Some differences in how I play
-I play Melee Game and Watch pretty defensive. If I played aggressively, I would only use F-air, the down side if I do use the F-air repeatedly is that I'll get predictable with it.
-I play G&W in Brawl+ aggressive; the buffs on his attacks for speed and damage are great. There are more mix up approaches in B+ that are reliable and safe to approach with(B+ fair/Nair/Bair). The speed up on the Neutral B(pan/sausages) has made Neutral B safe as a approach for a good number of match ups in B+.

Similar in moves, yes pretty similar. There are very little changes.
-Downtilt in Melee pops opponents up while in B+ it sends them horizontally; in Melee the Downtilt can also send them horizontally.
-Game and Watch in Melee does not have the parachute with him to glide back to the stage after the use of the upB in B+.
-Neutral A(s) are different; Brawl+ Nair is a fishbowl and Melee Nair is Parachute.
--------------
So hes not that much different than in Melee, you might enjoy him.
-Do you have any videos?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Okay, I have a few questions.
1. Dair is one of my favourite combo starters as G&W in Brawl+, does this still work the same in Melee?
2. From what I've seen, his Nair Parachute seems to be a sort of killing move, is this true?
3. Can he still do aerial combos as well as in Brawl+? Or is that too aggressive?
4. So, Bair isn't as good an approach in Melee?
5. From the video you showed me, his style seems to be approaching with short-hopped aerials and Dtilt, is this pretty much it or is there more I'm missing?

Thanks guys!

P.S.
@Max
The Brawl+ version is pretty much just buffed in every way, pretty much the same playstyle.

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I have a few questions.
1. Dair is one of my favourite combo starters as G&W in Brawl+, does this still work the same in Melee?
2. From what I've seen, his Nair Parachute seems to be a sort of killing move, is this true?
3. Can he still do aerial combos as well as in Brawl+? Or is that too aggressive?
4. So, Bair isn't as good an approach in Melee?
5. From the video you showed me, his style seems to be approaching with short-hopped aerials and Dtilt, is this pretty much it or is there more I'm missing?

Thanks guys!

P.S.
@Max
The Brawl+ version is pretty much just buffed in every way, pretty much the same playstyle.
1. Yes, Dair can be used for combo starters. You can grab right after the Dair or you can Dair to a Dtilt and then jump and Nair.
Some info about the Dair: It still has the two consecutive hits, and it can still spike(it can only spike in the opening animation of the attack)

2. Nair, Fair, Forward Smash are your killing moves in Melee. The Dair works pretty good at higher percentages.

3. A: You can air combo with Uair several times, Bair to Nair, Uair to Fair on most characters.

B: Hmmm...aerial combos being too aggressive...well in Brawl+ you can spam the Nair(fishbowl) and juggle with it, you can also Nair to a Bair which is pretty sick...In Melee you really can't be to aggressive in your attempts of doing aerial combos with Game and Watch. You have to set them up with grabs first; this is the only time you'll know when you will be able to connect aerial combos, and is the best way of reducing the chances of being punished for vs. you just spamming any aerial move into another aerial move in hopes of a combo.

4. Number four is depending which match up you are dealing with. You can't use Bair as a approach in all match ups.

5. Its safe to approach with a Dair from above, your pretty right on though. You prob. didn't think of Dair since you really can't DI with it that much in Brawl+. You can DI the Dair so that you land behind your opponent so he won't be able to grab you. If you think hes going to downsmash right next to you, you can grab him before he does.
- There is one more thing your missing as a approach...but thats going to have to come with practice and knowing when its safe to use it.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Thanks Prophet, and the rest of you guys, you've really helped and I'm probably gonna start maining him.
Looks like my list of characters just got longer, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Roy, Pichu and Mr. G&W
My friend borrowed Melee and I'm getting it back soon cause he just bought a copy, so then I can test him and give out my verdict.

Once again thanks for all your help guys!

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Prophet, and the rest of you guys, you've really helped and I'm probably gonna start maining him.
Looks like my list of characters just got longer, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Roy, Pichu and Mr. G&W
My friend borrowed Melee and I'm getting it back soon cause he just bought a copy, so then I can test him and give out my verdict.

Once again thanks for all your help guys!
No Problem, and welcome to the Melee Game and Watch Boards.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
the main difference between brawl+ gaw and melee gaw is that gaw in melee is really a bad character and still feels incomplete in some aspects of his gameplay. brawl+ gaw feels much more complete and has more options. you take the good things that gaw has in brawl+ for granted(a complete sheild, better roll, better dodge, better spot dodge, better ko ability) so you better be ready for a much worse character if you step into melee game and watch.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
the main difference between brawl+ gaw and melee gaw is that gaw in melee is really a bad character and still feels incomplete in some aspects of his gameplay. brawl+ gaw feels much more complete and has more options. you take the good things that gaw has in brawl+ for granted(a complete sheild, better roll, better dodge, better spot dodge, better ko ability) so you better be ready for a much worse character if you step into melee game and watch.
I'm used to maining bad characters, don't worry. And he looks like a lot of fun from the videos I've seen.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Okay guys, I tried out G&W yesterday, and he is awesome!
My only issue with him at the moment is I keep trying to use his Up-B in combos like in Brawl/Brawl+ but because of special fall and other changes it doesn't work. I just need to get out of that habit.
His shield is... odd, but it hasn't really bothered me.

Expect to see me around here now!

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
Okay guys, I tried out G&W yesterday, and he is awesome!
My only issue with him at the moment is I keep trying to use his Up-B in combos like in Brawl/Brawl+ but because of special fall and other changes it doesn't work. I just need to get out of that habit.
His shield is... odd, but it hasn't really bothered me.

Expect to see me around here now!
Cool! A new Gdub in Melee =D !!!

Yeah that was a habit I had to fix in the first days of Brawl. Whenever I played Melee again I kept UpBing to Dair; it will recede in time =) .

His shield is one of the worst shields in Melee so you want to light shield almost all the time. And if you don't feel liking putting any time into getting use to light shielding(it won't take to long), you can always register a perfect shield. Just read on how to do this from this following thread created by BlueYoshi: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238852
-I personally just stick to manually setting up a light shield in my matches.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Cool! A new Gdub in Melee =D !!!

Yeah that was a habit I had to fix in the first days of Brawl. Whenever I played Melee again I kept UpBing to Dair; it will recede in time =) .

His shield is one of the worst shields in Melee so you want to light shield almost all the time. And if you don't feel liking putting any time into getting use to light shielding(it won't take to long), you can always register a perfect shield. Just read on how to do this from this following thread created by BlueYoshi: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238852
-I personally just stick to manually setting up a light shield in my matches.
I always try and lightshield when I can, but I never knew that! I gotta try it, thanks!

QERB

Banned via Warnings
does anyone sometimes like to regular shield purposely so that you can get a shield grab?

alot of times after gw's light shield takes a hit, gw moves back too far out of grab range.

i supposed you could still wd out of shield and grab but in some situations that would take too long to work consistently

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
I always try and lightshield when I can, but I never knew that! I gotta try it, thanks!
Thats why I mentioned it! =D

does anyone sometimes like to regular shield purposely so that you can get a shield grab?

alot of times after gw's light shield takes a hit, gw moves back too far out of grab range.

i supposed you could still wd out of shield and grab but in some situations that would take too long to work consistently
Qerb is right though. Light shielding does have more knock-back when it is stricken. You don't want to light shield and then try to grab with it. What you can do is use light shield then switch to regular shield before the opponent tries to attack your shield. If he does attack your shield, try to go for a shield grab.

Top Bottom