• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Full Stage List Striking - New name

SuSa

Banned via Administration
In a competitive scenario, your opponent shouldn't strike wrong. They should know your character and what advantages they gain on each stage relative to their own character. This is more competitive, even if the stage is still in ones favor.

Yes, yes it does. If you're a character who is bad on every single legal stage - or is only good on 2-3 of them, your character is simply bad. Pick a different character, move on with your life.

Again, you're using characters on "good stages" (Snake sucks on Halberd, IDC what anyone else says. he ****ing blows nuts). This puts them at an ADVANTAGE and makes it PLAYER VS STAGE/PLAYER. I know you're one for a very liberal stagelist, and I am as well. My point is - if your character can't handle the majority of the stages, pick a new character.

Because as a Snake main, I wouldn't strike RC or Japes, and many people would stupidly try to take me there. This just shows how little they know of Snake's shenanigans.

Also some people may strike stages they do poorly on as players, which I do agree lowers the competitive aspect - but this stage may actually be "beneficial" to their characters. [I actually ban Halberd usually as Snake...**** that stage I hate it]

If you're both essentially removing (a liiiiittle) under 1/2 the stage list, you are coming to a compromise on the "fairest 3 stages" for the battle. Allowing the person who makes the final decision to only have a slight advantage at best if you were any good in your striking.

If you aren't good at striking - better study up.

Whether or not the stages that people come to an agreement on to play is the "fairest" will depend upon each player, making each match as playervsplayer as possible, with as little unfluence on the stages as possible.

:nifty::leek:

ADHD

Smash Hero
You are trying to remove something SO DEEPLY embedded within the smash competitive scene that no one would consider taking this seriously. I don't see what is wrong with the counterpicking system when game 1 is played on a generally more forgiving terrain, and there are 2 opportunities respectively for each player to make up for a loss equally.

SuSa

As stated, I don't care if it's deepy embedded into the community and the majority of this thread is to make a ****ing point.

It's so important to us, but we don't want to take the initiative to fix it.

EDIT:
And lol@u for thinking Game1 is played on Forgiving terrain.... game1 is so biased towards certain members of the cast who shine on these "neutral stages" it's hilarious!

ADHD

Smash Hero
As stated, I don't care if it's deepy embedded into the community and the majority of this thread is to make a ****ing point.

It's so important to us, but we don't want to take the initiative to fix it.

You are the one that thinks it should be fixed; I am not. Gosh ****it **** color tags.

EDIT:
And lol@u for thinking Game1 is played on Forgiving terrain.... game1 is so biased towards certain members of the cast who shine on these "neutral stages" it's hilarious!

Exaggerations, exaggerations, exaggerations. Game 1 may be biased towards THREE characters out of a cast of approximately 10 times more than them, but.. what about the others? Do you really think that Ice Climbers on battlefield are that detrimental to the victory screen?

I also meant forgiving as in less interfering and character-specific advantageous. Please, convince me that rainbow cruise with Metaknight is as biased as Ice Climbers on battlefield.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman

Part 2 - Characters[/center]

The second part to our counterpick system is the ability to counter your opponents character. This is also an uncompetitive rule, that has become a standard for our community. Most every other competitive game, you pick your characters and that's it. You can't swap, you're stuck until you win or lose. This means choosing a viable character is an important factor in winning.

What games have you been playing? I've been heavily involved with the fighting game community for years, and Counterpicking is fairly viable unless it's

A) A Team Tournament
or B) SBO.

Without a character counterpick system, many characters become unviable. Characters whom are easily infinited by DDD for example. Would you take the risk of double-blind picking your character?

The double-blind system is actually competitive and essential to keeping tournaments run in time. Without it, people may constantly be trying to counterpick eachother before the match even starts. It often doesn't happen like that, but it occasionally does so they agree on a double blind.

However let's take two mains. A DK main and a DDD main. They agree on a double blind.

The DDD main is at an advantage if he stays DDD, while he could be countered - the DK main is a DK main. He will not be as skilled with his secondary as his main, and going his secondary may be a huge risk for him. Without a counterpick character system, DK becomes less viable. You can't counterpick your opponent the next round if you lose, and you essentially get locked into an "unwinnable" matchup.

So why is a rule in place, when the only purpose it serves is making characters more viable? Why don't we have other rules in place to make a large portion of the cast more viable? Banning infinites? Banning small-step CG? Banning Meta Knight? It's essentially because we are living a double standard.

Without a counterpick system for characters - the undisputable best character, Meta Knight, would be the best choice to be locked into a match with. He essentially becomes the center of the metagame. To best avoid ever being countered, go MK. This centralizes the metagame around one character, and may eventually lead to further changes taking place.

With a counterpick system, with Meta Knight allowed - our current system - the best option to counter your opponent, is to switch to Meta Knight. Your opponent, whom may switch their character before you counter them, may also switch to Meta Knight to avoid the counter - and instead go in an even match-up. This centralizes the counterpick system around Meta Knight.

With a counterpick system, but with Meta Knight banned, every character can be counterpicked. The system does not revolve around picking Meta Knight to counter your opponent. The system is now revolving around soft counters and being the better player.
So let me get this straight. Let's say we're playing 3s. I know you're going to bring up "Hey, this is brawl, not Street Fighter", but you can draw a lot of parallels between 3rd strike and Brawl, and one is imbalance with Chun and Yun. Let's say I'm playing Ryu, and I get matched up against Ken, who in 3s is just a much more solid, much more viable pick. Better footsies, better normals, better everything. Now lets say I play against a Ken player, and I lose, and I want to counterpick... the only viable option for me to counterpick is Yun? Because he's leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else? That's as stupid as saying "Let's pick O. Sagat against a Dhalsim because my Ryu got scraped. Not because I'm familiar or experienced with the character, just because of statistics. Because that's what counts, am I right?"

Let's look at SF4. In SF4, many argue Sagat is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else(but most of these people are idiots who can't deal with an uppercut.) While he has a few 7-3 in his favor, most of his match-ups are 6-4. Now by that standard, that means every person would be smart by picking Sagat against ANY character in SFIV. That means that Ryu, Rufus, anyone gets scraped by Sagat.

Well, why is it that when Project Blocks rolled around Combofiend decided to pick Cammy against Wong's Rufus? Sagat is also 6-4 v Rufus, so why Cammy? That's because there are other elements involved inside counterpicking aside from "Hey, this is a better match-up." It comes down to player skill an experience as well.

You know what isn't competitive? Making un-researched and unsubstantiated posts about what is competitive and what isn't, in fact debating about it in the first place. This bull**** was going on when I left here and has been continuing ever since. And every time I come back here, I always see this stupid BS, and it always dissuades me from picking up this game again. Because scrubs like you don't learn. Counterpicking has been there far longer than you've been in the world of gaming... now if you don't like it? Then that's fine. Hell, I don't counterpick myself. But it's a viable, and certainly an important tactic in games of this stature.

And it doesn't matter whether it's Brawl or not. In a match up based game, Counterpicking is always important, and for some players it's essential.

Now if everyone is picking Meta Knight to counterpick, is that a problem? No. It's a viable tactic. If you don't believe me, please post your dilemma on any fighting game forum aside from this one and prepare to get laughed at.

Some of these posts just astonish me sometimes.

Prawn

Smash Master
I also meant forgiving as in less interfering and character-specific advantageous. Please, convince me that rainbow cruise with Metaknight is as biased as Ice Climbers on battlefield.

this ****ing this 100000x ****ing times.

your janky *** stages give huge *** advantedges to certain members of the cast that are not comparable to the "advantedges" on neutral stages.

even mk on ****ing delfino or halbered or ps1 is a ****ing *****. those janky stages are completely advantedgous to the few top tiers and make many characters absolutely inviable

please tell me that battlefield vs ics makes more characters unviable, they're "easier/easiet" top tier and high tier matchups(d3, falco, diddy, marth kinda and im sure a few others) are in no way unviable vs ics based on a neutral being played other than maybe a select few on fd which a lot of characters should investigate considering ROBs and Snakes should make this their favorite neutral lol

edit: also this guy won mlg or something so he might know what hes talking about

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
"Let's pick O. Sagat against a Dhalsim because my Ryu got scraped. Not because I'm familiar or experienced with the character, just because of statistics. Because that's what counts, am I right?"

Let's look at SF4. In SF4, many argue Sagat is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else(but most of these people are idiots who can't deal with an uppercut.) While he has a few 7-3 in his favor, most of his match-ups are 6-4. Now by that standard, that means every person would be smart by picking Sagat against ANY character in SFIV. That means that Ryu, Rufus, anyone gets scraped by Sagat.

Well, why is it that when Project Blocks rolled around Combofiend decided to pick Cammy against Wong's Rufus? Sagat is also 6-4 v Rufus, so why Cammy? That's because there are other elements involved inside counterpicking aside from "Hey, this is a better match-up." It comes down to player skill an experience as well.
John12346's rephrase said:
"Let's pick Meta-Knight against a Ice Climbers because my Mario got scraped. Not because I'm familiar or experienced with the character, just because of statistics. Because that's what counts, am I right?"

Let's look at SSBB. In SSBB, many argue Meta-Knight is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else(but most of these people are idiots who can't deal with a Shuttle Loop.) While he has a few 7-3 in his favor, most of his match-ups are 6-4. Now by that standard, that means every person would be smart by picking Meta-Knight against ANY character in SSBB. That means that Mario, Snake, anyone gets scraped by Meta-Knight.

Well, why is it that when [Tournament] rolled around [Player 1] decided to pick Peach against [Player 2]'s Olimar? Meta-Knight is also 6-4 v Olimar, so why Peach? That's because there are other elements involved inside counterpicking aside from "Hey, this is a better match-up." It comes down to player skill an experience as well.
If Brawl and SFIV really parallel each other that closely, then I shouldn't have much trouble translating that into Brawl slang for myself to understand.

Why pick Peach over MK while fighting Olimar? Might have to do with he'll have a 60:40 no matter he picks and that he doesn't want to look like a tier whoring idiot?

Also isn't Old Sagat soft banned or something? Metaknight isn't. So there's no real guarantee my rephrasal would even happen. [Player 1] might just go for MK regardless.

SuSa

edit: also this guy won mlg or something so he might be biased in what hes talking about
Fixed.

@Wall of text guy

Want to know why he didn't pick Sagat? Because AFAIK, stages don't alter the matchups of that game. Character advantage alone has already been proven in Brawl to not always be what determines the match. Matchup experience plays a huge part of that, look at Richbrown vs M2K please.

Then look at these same matches, and how they change depending on the stage. If I ever see an IC's dominating on any non-neutral stage, I'd be shocked. If they win Game1, they're likely to lose Game2 if the opponent is of their skill level and counterpicks wisely, and than the IC's get to counterpick Game3 and it comes down to their opponent being able to outplay them on a level that likely isn't even in their advantage, considering the main one is banned by their opponent. :awesome:

Game1 has been proven to be the most vital game in the set, and that should be a no brainer.

Want to bring me some examples where character and stage selection are vital? I only saw character in your post, and I'm dealing with the system as a whole for the SSB series dealing with characters and stages but I don't think you bothered to read far enough into my thread to see that.

Also it's amazing people aren't seeing the true message behind this thread. Oh, and that as pro-ban as I seem to be, I'm rather impartial. I was close to beating top MK's in my region before I left the scene, and I'm certain with some practice I could get to the level where I'm beating them or coming close again. :cool:

SoCal ftw before anyone says "lol ur region"

Veel

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to preface my post by apologizing to Susa: apparently my last post was very unclear as we have had several misunderstandings and miscommunications (if that is even a word, lol). I'd like to ask your forgiveness and to please to bear with me so that we might resolve the conflicts in our understandings of the current counter picking system.

Hmmmmmm...

Define "competitive."
It might be easy to sort of just shrug off this post as insignificant, however, I believe it is crucial to take some time to examine this, as this definition is foundational to any argument about the rule set (or at least as I understand it) and as such should not just be reduced to an ill fitted, common, denotative definition (this would be just relating competitive to the root word competition).

I will argue that there are two levels of relevant competition. (I am doing this because I believe some level of misunderstanding and conflict has arisen as we do not have an adequate base as to converse about what is and isn't competitive so on with the wall of text. :c)

The first level is competitive play. This is what we are generally discussing when we colloquially throw out the word competition or competitive. Competitive play is what we actually do at tournaments (or at least attempt to). Competitive play has been famously characterized by Sirlin's philosophy: competitive play is playing to win. The goal of competitive play is to win within the tournament system, (or any other medium) while forgoing any self made ideals such as "I don't want to play (or have you play) in a specific way because I find it to be lame, unfair, unfun, etc." Therefor I will define this first level of competition or competitive play as actively playing with the practical and realizable goal of winning. Competition at this level has no room for ideals whatsoever as the practical reality of the goal of winning cannot be resolved with them.

The second level is competitive organization. By this I don't mean we fight each other to be the best at organizing, no, what this level of competition is is how we control, promote, and operate our competitive play(which in this community and all gaming communities is done through the tournament system). I would assume, because at the level of competitive play there is a clear and practical goal guiding that which is competitive(the goal of winning), that there are also overarching goal(s) that characterizes what is competitive at the level of organizing competitive play, or competitive organizing.

If we stop and think about the nature of competitive organizing it breaks down to is this: the competitive community(everyone who attends tournaments) is attempting to create most successful rule set possible for competitive play. So the objective goal should be that which benefits competitive play, the competitive community and tournaments in general. When you consider that which is necessary and advantageous for all three you are left with the one factor that becomes the objective standard of what is competitive at the level of organizing: the number of people you have.

Consider the character ranking or how people generally gauge the caliber of a tournament: its is done via number of attendants. Without people there are no tournaments and there is no competitive play. So it is obvious that tournaments need some people but after a certain base minimum does getting more people actually increase the quality of the competitive play?

To this, I would argue it does. Think back to to when you first picked up the game and played with several friends. You learned the game, enjoyed it, and wanted to get better and test your skill. So, logically, you attend or host tournaments. At this point you realize you suck and start working to get better, how do you do this? Among many other things you go out and play different people and THIS is a chief way of getting better(A.K.A. you continue going to tournaments). The more people you have the bigger the pool of play styles is you have to play against, thus instead of staling your game around a few people's play styles you learn to deal with new and different styles, characters etc and your game improves.

Yet there is another factor here that has yet to be discussed: time. The medium for competitive play is the tournament system. And how does this work? Do we have one tournament only for the entire life of a game? Obviously not. We have several tournaments over a long indeterminate span of time, thus you wouldn't want to aim to get as many people as possible for one tournament but instead to get as many people as possible over the average life of a competitive game(this number is debatable... perhaps 1-2 decades).

Thus, we arrive at the definition for competition at the the level of organizing competitive play or competitive organizing. Competitive organizing is the manner in which the competitive community promotes, controls and operates tournaments with the goals of getting as many people as possible to attend tournaments and to get people to continue to attend tournaments for as long as possible. (From here you can argue about the ideal frequency of tournaments and which factor is more important but that is another discussion.) Therefor what determines if a rule is competitive or is uncompetitive is based solely on the amount of people it brings to a tournament and the number of times it facilitates people to go tournaments.

Now let's take a some time and examine the ramifications of this theory of competitive organizing and its consequential definition of what makes a competitive rule set. At first, this might seem insane as any rule set could be viewed as competitive if it gets a significant amount of people to consistently go to tournaments. For example items on high with bomb-ombs only turned on could be considers highly competitive under this rule set.

Theoretically this is true, yet the stabilizer of this system is human nature and thus this would never realistically happen. To further expand on this let's imagine that a tournament actually adopted the above rule set. A few people might go along happily, yet the majority of the players would be extremely frustrated by the arbitrary and nigh unavoidable hazards. Over time(most likely after one tournament) everyone would stop going to such tournaments and it would kill competitive play. When people enter tournaments they hold an assumption that the main determinant of the tournament is their skill at the game under the rule set. Understandably, when the rule set of the game betrays this assumption and people waste several hours of their life training and traveling to a tournament, as well as their money, just to lose to an unpredictable event they will cease to attend tournaments.

Uhm. Restate your example please, I don't think I'm reading it properly.
The point was you evaluated the system's two aspects(counter picking stages and then counter picking character) separately and in that painted an inaccurate picture of the system when it was merged; to quote a line of your argument against the stage aspect:

The only disadvantage your opponent is placed at depends on the character whom they choose to use.
I was pointing out that in the current system the stage is picked before your opponent's character is chosen. This system rewards people for knowing how to play several characters (for example Olimar for a flat stage then Wario for a more areal stage) but still allows you to stick with a singular character if you are willing to shelter the clear stage disadvantage. Ergo the stage facet of the current system isn't an uncontrollable disadvantage but something you can work around through practicing several characters and strategy based on what characters your opponent is savvy with.

Please note the underlined, and explain to me in any way how that is any more competitive than picking something at random.
I believe you are referring to:

They have control over this factor so they are willingly placing themselves ata disadvantage. However...
It is because that they have control over this factor as opposed to no option why it has competitive value: as above it rewards players for playing several characters to minimize the damage done in the counter picking system. If we return to the definition a rule is competitive when it attracts more people to a tournament or facilitates people attending more tournaments. Simply anything that adds more depth to general game play is a bonus as you are always fighting people getting bored of the game. Think back to some of the great melee players like Azen who just stopped playing because he and his friends got bored.

It does intrude on the game, and it gimps the top tier characters. Without the counterpick system, many characters would simply be unviable. Why? Because of their matchups with _________ from the top/high tiers. By allowing counterpicks - you are nerfing the top tier by making certain ones of them have to deal with low-tier-but-even/disadvantage matchups. Is this neccessarily bad? That's something you have to look into our community for. It's a standard in the community to allow counterpicks - so many people would see this as a "good nerf"; but that doesn't change that it is, in fact, a nerf.

With a counterpick system, the number of viable characters rises. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but we don't just add rules to make characters more viable. If we did that, there would be a few more rules in place.
This is another mistake in communicating on my part. I understand that it effects the match but it does not intrude into the literal game play such as changing physics or limiting what a character may do mid play(which is what intended to refer to). Any who you are correct that enacting rules to boost characters for the sake of boosting characters has no precedent and more over that reason onto itself is not a justifiable reason to do so.

I should restate (and fix that) sentence to say many BBR members state he breaks the counterpick system (although it isn't honestly anything any one of the could deny... it's a widely accepted fact that having no counterpicks breaks a counterpick system...) and if I have some freetime I'll go find links, although they are scattered around all over the place. :urg: Would be easier to just ask a few BBR members yourself.
There is no need to go through the trouble; I was only concerned with the aspect of the BBR officially commenting/announcing that the system being broken by MK. Also, I can take it on good faith that several BBR members have that opinion; I do not really see you blatantly lying to help your argument. :)

It doesnt effect MK dittos, because how do you effect a ditto with counterpicks? Although if competitive play wants to avoid overcentralization - you don't want the only good/fair/even matchup you can always get; be Meta Knight.
Despite the fact that MK breaks the system on paper the reality is that not everyone uses MK, hell, for the first time at MLG a MK didn't win it. The only argument that I can make is that as a matter of fact that not everyone has converted to using MK yet even though he is the best option. I suppose the only thing from keeping MK from truly breaking the system is the over-dominance of the strategy to stick with one mastered character completely and the resiliency of people to stick with sub optimal characters either out of conviction or a queer strategy.

Also - the time out clause is to ensure tournaments run on time. I do not agree with how they are done (1 stock, 3 minutes) seeing as Lucario get's a nerf from this (compared to his 3 stocks) due to how his Aura works. However timeouts don't happen that often and I've yet to see a Lucario get timed out.

Sudden Death is not competitive due to the random Bob-omb factor. Nobody should lose a set because a Bob-omb decided it wanted to spawn right on top of their character.

Having a time out clause is existant because we have a timer. A timer is needed to make sure tournaments run in a course of allotted time. Without this, some tournaments may not finish on time and lose their venue. No venue = no tournament = no winners = no competition = needed for competition = timer = timer clause.

Follow that train of thought?
Again my inability to accurately identify what I meant has hurt my intended argument. :(

By the time out clause I was referring to general rule of granting a win by stock and then percent lead(which I then contrasted with sudden death.) The point of this being, which you yourself accurately concluded that this is a useful in it practicality despite that fact it is not technically needed. Several times you used the rhetoric that the system was not needed; while this has some appeal it is fallacious to say that which not needed should not exist(hence my argument.)

Also how do you feel about Dave's stupid rule?

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
If Brawl and SFIV really parallel each other that closely, then I shouldn't have much trouble translating that into Brawl slang for myself to understand.

Why pick Peach over MK while fighting Olimar? Might have to do with he'll have a 60:40 no matter he picks and that he doesn't want to look like a tier whoring idiot?

Also isn't Old Sagat soft banned or something? Metaknight isn't. So there's no real guarantee my rephrasal would even happen. [Player 1] might just go for MK regardless.
SFIII and Brawl parallel each other much more than SFIV and brawl do. Yun and Chun Li are Metaknight and Snake. And early in it's life-cycle, a large part of the SF community hated 3s with an unmitigated passion.

@Wall of text guy

Want to know why he didn't pick Sagat? Because AFAIK, stages don't alter the matchups of that game. Character advantage alone has already been proven in Brawl to not always be what determines the match. Matchup experience plays a huge part of that, look at Richbrown vs M2K please.

Then look at these same matches, and how they change depending on the stage. If I ever see an IC's dominating on any non-neutral stage, I'd be shocked. If they win Game1, they're likely to lose Game2 if the opponent is of their skill level and counterpicks wisely, and than the IC's get to counterpick Game3 and it comes down to their opponent being able to outplay them on a level that likely isn't even in their advantage, considering the main one is banned by their opponent. :awesome:

Game1 has been proven to be the most vital game in the set, and that should be a no brainer.

Want to bring me some examples where character and stage selection are vital? I only saw character in your post, and I'm dealing with the system as a whole for the SSB series dealing with characters and stages but I don't think you bothered to read far enough into my thread to see that.

Also it's amazing people aren't seeing the true message behind this thread. Oh, and that as pro-ban as I seem to be, I'm rather impartial. I was close to beating top MK's in my region before I left the scene, and I'm certain with some practice I could get to the level where I'm beating them or coming close again. :cool:

@unsubstantiated very little knowledge of competetive gaming outside of this f u c king game guy.

Maybe you should look up Soul Calibur or Virtua fighter videos then, where stage selection does very much so matter. As well as Tekken. SCIV is pretty stupid unbalanced from what I know with Hilde, and Stage Selection is vital because if she gets one hit it's an Auto K.O., and yet that game when played in a competitive mindset still allows for both stage and character counterpicking. But I don't think you bothered to read that far into the mechanics of competitive gaming when you made you're super "this is not a competitive strategy" thread, which was what I was debunking.

So far, you haven't proved ****. And if anybody listens to your argument at this point it's going to be really embarrassing to watch. Because it's not a very good one.

SuSa

Also how do you feel about Dave's stupid rule?
First off:
Holy. ****ing. ****. I had to go through and read all that a few times actually because halfway down I'd forget my line of thought for counterarguments. :urg: Just... oh god that was long...

I feel bad for giving you such a short reply, but I will conceed any arguments I don't counter as a win for your side. Perhaps someone else will be able to counter said points, but currently I don't think I can.

I agree with your definition of competitive play, and competitive organization being that which expands competitive play. (In the sense that more players = better for competition) - but using this as an example, the HOBO tourneys with the CP system fixed (can't say the magical two words) boosted attendance. HOBO, on average, with a fixed CP system was offering better attendance. Is that not more competitive then?

You used one example (MLG D.C) to counteract my statement, and I'm not saying he's downright unbeatable (MK) - but I am saying he breaks the counterpick system. You have to be much better than your opponent to beat them if they play Meta Knight. M2K obviously doesn't know the Olimar matchup (anyone that thinks he does, needs to go watch vids of him vs Brood and/or Rich) - but this isn't to downsize Rich, who did a **** amazing Job in a disadvantaged matchup, and also beat many other top MK's (somewhat hurting my argument... but I know Rich plays against MK's probably a lot more than they play against a top level Olimar)

If your argument had repeated results, it'd have more basis. But it does appear to be more of a fluke than a fact. It's a lot less likely to happen repeatingly, but rather happens occasionally. (Which then all of anti-ban jumps on the "SEEEEE MK DIDNT WIN" wagon...)

Also the counterpick system doesn't keep tournaments running (which is one of the far more important aspects) such as the time out clause does. We need a timer to keep tournaments running in a specific time, and a way to quickly resolve the event in case the timer runs out. This clause isn't needed for gameplay (as counterpicking is being argued that it is) but rather for the tournament, outside of gameplay. (Even though it affects gameplay as a side-effect)

I can't really argue against much else you said, or I can't think of an argument at this point in time (it's midnight)

Also what is Dave's stupid rule?

@unsubstantiated very little knowledge of competetive gaming outside of this f u c king game guy.

Maybe you should look up Soul Calibur or Virtua fighter videos then, where stage selection does very much so matter. As well as Tekken. SCIV is pretty stupid unbalanced from what I know with Hilde, and Stage Selection is vital because if she gets one hit it's an Auto K.O., and yet that game when played in a competitive mindset still allows for both stage and character counterpicking. But I don't think you bothered to read that far into the mechanics of competitive gaming when you made you're super "this is not a competitive strategy" thread, which was what I was debunking.

So far, you haven't proved ****. And if anybody listens to your argument at this point it's going to be really embarrassing to watch. Because it's not a very good one.
I think I pointed to SC somewhere and admit I have very little knowledge outside of that game other than me playing it for some enjoyment and realizing it has ring outs. I don't know it on a competitive level as I only attended one small local, ever, and did horribly because I wasn't a competitive player.....

However at this point I'd like to point at the wall of text above your post, and the fact you still don't see the main point behind this thread after me pointing it out oh so well to you. :awesome:

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
However at this point I'd like to point at the wall of text above your post, and the fact you still don't see the main point behind this thread after me pointing it out oh so well to you. :awesome:

[/color]
No, no no, I see the main point of your post. But it's a sh itty argument.

NNID
Budget_Player
In a competitive scenario, your opponent shouldn't strike wrong. They should know your character and what advantages they gain on each stage relative to their own character. This is more competitive, even if the stage is still in ones favor.
True. So you effectively have, at best, one stage per matchup; more realistically, almost always just one stage. Am I the only one who sees the problem with this?

Yes, yes it does. If you're a character who is bad on every single legal stage - or is only good on 2-3 of them, your character is simply bad. Pick a different character, move on with your life.
I agree with this 100%. Completely and totally. I'm not arguing for character fairness when I argue against striking all 3 games. Game 1? Yeah, we strike there because character fairness is pretty important in that game. But games two and three are to put you onto unfamiliar ground; force you into a bad position. This allows for stages that, with your method, would NEVER see play, to be played on quite regularly. Would you ever go to Brinstar with your method? RC? FD? SV? Probably not.

Again, you're using characters on "good stages" (Snake sucks on Halberd, IDC what anyone else says. he ****ing blows nuts). This puts them at an ADVANTAGE and makes it PLAYER VS STAGE/PLAYER. I know you're one for a very liberal stagelist, and I am as well. My point is - if your character can't handle the majority of the stages, pick a new character.
We agree on this, as said.

Because as a Snake main, I wouldn't strike RC or Japes, and many people would stupidly try to take me there. This just shows how little they know of Snake's shenanigans.
You wouldn't strike RC or Japes... even though you have far better stages? Yes, they aren't BAD snake stages. But snake has far better ones.

Also some people may strike stages they do poorly on as players, which I do agree lowers the competitive aspect - but this stage may actually be "beneficial" to their characters. [I actually ban Halberd usually as Snake...**** that stage I hate it]
Just FYI, who the **** would take a snake to halberd? Ban something else; only idiots would take you to halberd.

If you're both essentially removing (a liiiiittle) under 1/2 the stage list, you are coming to a compromise on the "fairest 3 stages" for the battle. Allowing the person who makes the final decision to only have a slight advantage at best if you were any good in your striking.
Yes, and I'm saying that this isn't a fair trade-off. You are trading a massive amount of knowledge needed in order to play the game for... "fairness". And not even being fair to the player, being fair to the characters. That's very poor reasoning.

Whether or not the stages that people come to an agreement on to play is the "fairest" will depend upon each player, making each match as playervsplayer as possible, with as little unfluence on the stages as possible
Please explain what you mean. First of all, why is PvS bad? Second of all, what do you even mean when you say PvS? Because the stage that has the very least PvS, FD, would be right out with this method.

Exaggerations, exaggerations, exaggerations. Game 1 may be biased towards THREE characters out of a cast of approximately 10 times more than them, but.. what about the others? Do you really think that Ice Climbers on battlefield are that detrimental to the victory screen?
Well, when ICs have BF as one of their very best stages? Yes, I do. It's a completely arbitrary buff to a character who, on a whole, has a lot of trouble dealing with any PvS elements. I've gone over this several times, in fact.

It isn't; a more fair comparison would be MK on Norfair, or Frigate, or Delfino. ICs on FD, on the other hand, is very well as advantageous for ICs as MK on RC or Brinstar is for MK.

this ****ing this 100000x ****ing times.

your janky *** stages give huge *** advantedges to certain members of the cast that are not comparable to the "advantedges" on neutral stages.
Well excuse me that you chose a character who can't deal with bad stages. :awesome:

even mk on ****ing delfino or halbered or ps1 is a ****ing *****. those janky stages are completely advantedgous to the few top tiers and make many characters absolutely inviable
Wait what? The only top tiers who enjoy those stages are MK and Wario. The rest of top tier whores out FD and SV. Furthermore, that's how **** works. You happened to chose a character who is bad at dealing with various strategies on various stages and can only really deal with gameplay when it goes exactly the way they want it to.

please tell me that battlefield vs ics makes more characters unviable, they're "easier/easiet" top tier and high tier matchups(d3, falco, diddy, marth kinda and im sure a few others) are in no way unviable vs ics based on a neutral being played other than maybe a select few on fd which a lot of characters should investigate considering ROBs and Snakes should make this their favorite neutral lol
Oh, it doesn't. It also doesn't matter.

edit: also this guy won mlg or something so he might know what hes talking about
Or, he might be ridiculously incompetent and biased and glides by on reaction time and gameplay skill, not actual game knowledge (in fact, I'm sorry to say, just about every top player I've met up with on the boards is EXACTLY THE SAME WAY-they are really, really good at the game, but either have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to rulesets, or are ridiculously biased, or both).

In fact, I've covered a lot, a LOT of what I'm rehashing here in this thread (which has been locked).

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
All of this is mostly directed towards Redrapper.

Hilde is banned in SCIV. Here's a link, but you need an account to view: http://www.8wayrun.com/wiki/Soulcalibur_IV_Tournament_Rules

"# Character Select: Winner Character Lock - If a player wins a match, they must chose the same character in the next match of the set. A player may only change characters after they have lost a match; or at the start of the next set.

* Algol and Hilde are banned. All other standard characters, including Star Wars characters are legal.
* All Customs, including Angol Fear, Ashlotte, Kamikirimusi, Scheherezade and Shura are banned."

Comparing 3rd Strike and SCIV for a moment, we see one scenario where the top of the metagame is out, and another where it is not. Whether or not we see such a thing happen here in Brawl is up to us, the users to discuss out fully.

And, to pipe in my own little bit...

As far as I know, Chun and Yun aren't banned in their game, Third Strike, but I do take some issue with your paralleling of it with Brawl. Keep in mind there are 19 characters in that game, with 2/19th of the cast reigning supreme. In Brawl, we have 1/37th of the cast reigning supreme. I think the percentage difference there is pretty significant.
Susa, Dave's Stupid Rule is a rule that prevents you from counterpicking a stage you won on in that set.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman

Hilde is banned in SCIV. Link, but you need an account to view: http://www.8wayrun.com/wiki/Soulcalibur_IV_Tournament_Rules

"# Character Select: Winner Character Lock - If a player wins a match, they must chose the same character in the next match of the set. A player may only change characters after they have lost a match; or at the start of the next set.

* Algol and Hilde are banned. All other standard characters, including Star Wars characters are legal.
* All Customs, including Angol Fear, Ashlotte, Kamikirimusi, Scheherezade and Shura are banned."

Comparing 3rd Strike and SCIV for a moment, we see one scenario where the top of the metagame is out, and another where it is not. Whether or not we see such a thing happen here in Brawl is up to us, the users to discuss out fully.

As far as I know, Chun and Yun aren't banned in their game, Third Strike, but I do take some issue with your paralleling of it with Brawl. Keep in mind there are 19 characters in that game, with 2/19th of the cast reigning supreme. In Brawl, we have 1/37th of the cast reigning supreme. I think the percentage difference there is pretty significant.
well you got me there at SCIV. @ Evo however she wasn't banned.

Also, number of characters shouldn't really account into that scenario for my comparison. So what if we have 19 characters compared to your 37, that doesn't make the matchup disparity any less different. The comparison was meant to be that the game has two characters who out and out dominate the rest of the cast. How does the size of the cast make a difference, if the matchups all end up in mostly 7-3's for each game. Hell, Sean's matchups are probably worse in some respect to Ganondorfs.

SuSa

You wouldn't strike RC or Japes... even though you have far better stages? Yes, they aren't BAD snake stages. But snake has far better ones.

Just FYI, who the **** would take a snake to halberd? Ban something else; only idiots would take you to halberd.
I don't have better stages. I have better stages in your eyes. RC is easily one of Snake's top stages IMO. I also take DK's and Falco's to Japes. Unless the Falco is intent on timing you out (assuming they take lead) it's not as bad as people seem to think, and overrate. But considering people always ban Japes vs Falco we don't see it much anyways, now do we? According to your logic, if I don't strike it me and that Falco are probably going there because no Falco in their right mind would strike their "best cp" would they? :awesome:

You might want to reread what I stated. I personally ban Halberd because I don't want the slight chance of playing it. On the flip side, I've had players ban Rainbow Cruise from my stage selection. That doesn't make sense to you because you're information is not player/stage based but character/stage based on the information of a majority of people whom simply cannot rework their playstyle to play on that stage, therefore believe it is bad for their character. In some cases this is true, but in many it is not.

The diversity of stages is only effected by the players. They will likely base their decisions on the matchup, and if the opponent counterpicks they have to strike a whole different list of stages depending on that character. This puts knowledge into which stages place you at a large disadvantage - which requires knowledge of the stage and your opponents character.

Currently just playing on a stage requires knowledge of the stage. No competitive player should be on "unfamiliar ground" unless they play in a region with a conservative stagelist - which is then hurting their region and is up to their region to be more liberal with the stages so as to prevent this. So your argument of "unfamiliar ground" is rather lacking base.

Hilde is banned in SCIV. Link, but you need an account to view: http://www.8wayrun.com/wiki/Soulcalibur_IV_Tournament_Rules

Susa, Dave's Stupid Rule is a rule that prevents you from counterpicking a stage you won on in that set.
I'm so glad someone able to argue points can do so for me in unfamiliar territory. For this, I thank you.

Also I only agree with Dave's stupid rule rule as far as counterpicks go - which would only effect Grand Finals. I don't think you should be able to counterpick a counterpick stage (which gives you the advantage) that you already won on. But also seeing as I view neutrals as counterpick stages themselves in some scenarios, this rule is a very grey line which goes into territory where you can't really draw a clear line anywhere...

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Also, number of characters shouldn't really account into that scenario for my comparison. So what if we have 19 characters compared to your 37, that doesn't make the matchup disparity any less different. The comparison was meant to be that the game has two characters who out and out dominate the rest of the cast. How does the size of the cast make a difference, if the matchups all end up in mostly 7-3's for each game. Hell, Sean's matchups are probably worse in some respect to Ganondorfs.
Well, the percentages were just a little thing I noticed. I wanted to see if it meant anything, is all.

well you got me there at SCIV. @ Evo however she wasn't banned.
Well, maybe the Evo results were part of the banning? lol

Anyway, given Third Strike and SCIV's communities having opposing views on banning, I honestly think doing the such a thing here in Brawl will be more of an "eye of the beholder(communtiy, w/e)" kinda thing aside from a "use other communities as a precedent" scenario.

I think we still have some further discussion to go through before we really reach any concrete conclusions.

I'm so glad someone able to argue points can do so for me in unfamiliar territory. For this, I thank you.
I haven't the slightest clue about how other fighting game communities work; I researched all that jazz. If the discussion gets into game mechanics, I'm fooked, lol.

NNID
Budget_Player
I don't have better stages. I have better stages in your eyes. RC is easily one of Snake's top stages IMO. I also take DK's and Falco's to Japes. Unless the Falco is intent on timing you out (assuming they take lead) it's not as bad as people seem to think, and overrate. But considering people always ban Japes vs Falco we don't see it much anyways, now do we? According to your logic, if I don't strike it me and that Falco are probably going there because no Falco in their right mind would strike their "best cp" would they? :awesome:

You might want to reread what I stated. I personally ban Halberd because I don't want the slight chance of playing it. On the flip side, I've had players ban Rainbow Cruise from my stage selection. That doesn't make sense to you because you're information is not player/stage based but character/stage based on the information of a majority of people whom simply cannot rework their playstyle to play on that stage, therefore believe it is bad for their character. In some cases this is true, but in many it is not.

The diversity of stages is only effected by the players. They will likely base their decisions on the matchup, and if the opponent counterpicks they have to strike a whole different list of stages depending on that character. This puts knowledge into which stages place you at a large disadvantage - which requires knowledge of the stage and your opponents character.
True, I suppose.

Currently just playing on a stage requires knowledge of the stage. No competitive player should be on "unfamiliar ground" unless they play in a region with a conservative stagelist - which is then hurting their region and is up to their region to be more liberal with the stages so as to prevent this. So your argument of "unfamiliar ground" is rather lacking base.
This. DEAR GOD THIS.

Also I only agree with Dave's stupid rule rule as far as counterpicks go - which would only effect Grand Finals. I don't think you should be able to counterpick a counterpick stage (which gives you the advantage) that you already won on. But also seeing as I view neutrals as counterpick stages themselves in some scenarios, this rule is a very grey line which goes into territory where you can't really draw a clear line anywhere...
Why? If my opponent won on the stage in the first round, why should he be able to CP me back to there?

Veel

Smash Apprentice
I agree with your definition of competitive play, and competitive organization being that which expands competitive play. (In the sense that more players = better for competition) - but using this as an example, the HOBO tourneys with the CP system fixed (can't say the magical two words) boosted attendance. HOBO, on average, with a fixed CP system was offering better attendance. Is that not more competitive then?
Absolutely and in every single imaginable way yes. Of course, ideally, one would want more data to smooth out extraneous variables but if such a rule set is shown to consistently yield better turn out then I would posit it is the only logical path for the community(however this is rather off topic and I think we can both see why your threads get systematically locked <_<.)

You used one example (MLG D.C) to counteract my statement, and I'm not saying he's downright unbeatable (MK) - but I am saying he breaks the counterpick system. You have to be much better than your opponent to beat them if they play Meta Knight. M2K obviously doesn't know the Olimar matchup (anyone that thinks he does, needs to go watch vids of him vs Brood and/or Rich) - but this isn't to downsize Rich, who did a **** amazing Job in a disadvantaged matchup, and also beat many other top MK's (somewhat hurting my argument... but I know Rich plays against MK's probably a lot more than they play against a top level Olimar)

If your argument had repeated results, it'd have more basis. But it does appear to be more of a fluke than a fact. It's a lot less likely to happen repeatingly, but rather happens occasionally. (Which then all of anti-ban jumps on the "SEEEEE MK DIDNT WIN" wagon...)
Your line of reasoning is absolutely accurate and pointing to a handful of exceptions is a weak apology, however this is not the what I was trying to get across. My argument is not amazing but it is simple: MK does break the system on paper and rationally there is no good reason not to simply just use him solely, yet, despite this, a very large percentage of competitive players do not use MK for whatever reason. With this is mind you will have several match ups that are either two non MK playing or one MK player and one non-MK player.

Let's examine the first of these two instances. Here, because MK is not involved the system functions properly, this is ideal and does exist, to a limited extent, in competitive play.

Now to examine the latter. The system functions yet significantly favors the MK yet players are still able to use other characters to an extent and some depth still remains. For example on flat stages a player might be able to effectively use IC, Diddy, etc. but switch to MK for the inevitable counter pick.

So my argument comes down to this: it seems MK should break the counter pick system, and maybe in time he will. Yet, for whatever silly reason, a significant amount of people opt not to use MK despite the disadvantage and this leaves the system in a fragmented state that still provides depth even if it does not function optimally. Until MK begins to approach a vast majority of tournament attendants the current system will remain competitive in that it adds to the depth of general competitive play (deeper game play translates to more of the game to experience which leads to a longer competitive shelf life.)

Also the counterpick system doesn't keep tournaments running (which is one of the far more important aspects) such as the time out clause does. We need a timer to keep tournaments running in a specific time, and a way to quickly resolve the event in case the timer runs out. This clause isn't needed for gameplay (as counterpicking is being argued that it is) but rather for the tournament, outside of gameplay. (Even though it affects gameplay as a side-effect)
I'll grant you that it is a more important criteria that a rule is necessary for competitive play(which this counter pick system is far from having) however competitive value is a justifiable basis for a particular facet of the rule set existing.

Also what is Dave's stupid rule?
No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

Edit: Grammars!

*Pro tip: don't post when you've gone 24+ hours without sleep.

SuSa

more stuffs =]
Yep, this is why they get locked. :awesome: We aren't even allowed to dance around the issue to try and provide evidence for my topic. It's very hard to when one entire argument that supports this topic with pure evidence and data is unmentionable.

I understand your point, and I do agree. It just seems BAWrl people pick characters that they feel closer to, rather than tier whoring. But that's not something you can really "prove" so until people flock to MK there isn't any hard data to point to. (Although many pros have been switching to MK, such as Ally - and I've been out of the scene way to long so he's the only one I know, sorry... but I do know there are others, and have been others (*looks at DSF's switch from snake to mk*)

Basically what it comes down to is this:
Yet, for whatever silly reason, a significant amount of people opt not to use MK despite the disadvantage and this leaves the system in a fragmented state that still provides depth even if it does not function optimally
Which I cannot counter-argue to any extent to have a strong foundation. This is true, and I can't really argue against that.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
This thread will be moved to Stage Discussion as most of the issues deal with Stage Discussion or involve talk about Meat Knight.

SuSa

I included Snake and IC's as well..

I don't understand how something that is discussing characters+stages falls under stages, but whatever. Still has a link from the other forum.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Moving a thread to stage discussion is kind of a "soft lock" to kill it slowly. This is obviously a discussion of rulesets.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Moving a thread to stage discussion is kind of a "soft lock" to kill it slowly. This is obviously a discussion of rulesets.
Y'think we should get a second opinion or something? Y'know, like from another staff member or an admin or something?

From my perspective, this DOES seem like it should be in Tactical.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Go****it, I'm missing all the fun.

Did we come to an agreement that striking for the whole list for all the games of the set is a bad idea?

You know, since you remove more than half of the stages, which kills a lot of depth?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Or, he might be ridiculously incompetent and biased and glides by on reaction time and gameplay skill, not actual game knowledge (in fact, I'm sorry to say, just about every top player I've met up with on the boards is EXACTLY THE SAME WAY-they are really, really good at the game, but either have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to rulesets, or are ridiculously biased, or both).
No.. I'm not the stupidest person to try to set the game up for hundreds of players just so I myself benefit. I'm tired of people claiming this just because I am going against their annoying, overly one-sided philosophies about the game. None of you can spew anything non-subjective unless it is about the stages technicalities themselves. Your arguments mean nothing other than your own opinions being repeated until they seem correct because dozens of other drones and tools quote them to say "QTFF" (i.e. Dark Horse).

Djent

Smash Champion
I was about to make a huge post about counterpicking in other games (Keits vs. Ryry in TvC @ EVO, anyone? :awesome:), but it looks like RedrappeR has it covered for the most part. I do want to add one thing, though. Season's Beatings: Redemption just took place this past weekend, and the title went to an Adon player. Now, I don't know if these matchups are still correct or not, but either way it proves a point: you CAN win playing an inferior character with a counterpicking system in place. It may not be the norm and it certainly isn't easy, but it's doable, so why is there even an issue?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
"I'm tired of people claiming this just because I am going against their annoying, overly one-sided philosophies about the game. None of you can spew anything non-subjective. Your arguments mean nothing other than your own opinions being repeated until they seem correct because dozens of other drones and tools quote them to say "QTFF" (i.e. <insert random who thinks FD is neutral here>). "

I find it amusing how this still works from our side.

NNID
Budget_Player
No.. I'm not the stupidest person to try to set the game up for hundreds of players just so I myself benefit. I'm tired of people claiming this just because I am going against their annoying, overly one-sided philosophies about the game. None of you can spew anything non-subjective unless it is about the stages technicalities themselves. Your arguments mean nothing other than your own opinions being repeated until they seem correct because dozens of other drones and tools quote them to say "QTFF" (i.e. Dark Horse).
Eh... That post came out wrong. Very wrong. As in, I'm sorry, that was a real ******* post of me to make. I used to get a lot of that vibe from you, but either I've stopped cherrypicking, or you've gotten better (Imma assume the former).

However, don't assault the philosophy. It's, in fact, ridiculously solid, to the extent where you can pretty much say that going against it is very literally assaulting the competitive nature of the game.

SuSa

Go****it, I'm missing all the fun.

Did we come to an agreement that striking for the whole list for all the games of the set is a bad idea?

You know, since you remove more than half of the stages, which kills a lot of depth?
Is depthness really better for competition though? Or is it something we prefer as to not be FOXONLYNOITEMSFINALDESTINATION?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You have to consider a few things in this regard.

First, Depth naturally fosters competition. If there are more options and concepts to deal with (stages fall under this blanket), there is more to learn in order to stay ahead of your competition. Being able to manage playstyles for a LARGE number of stages, is, IMO, an extremely important competitive skill.

Second, Depth also prevents a game from getting stale quickly.

Third thing is where philosophy comes in.

JP 3-Stage Brawl MAY achieve its goal of reducing MK to a somewhat acceptable level.

However, You lose a LOT of depth by cutting out the majority of the CP system.

Using as many stages as possible (With MK banned) offers a similarly balanced metagame, but you also maintain the competitive depth that the CP system offers.

SuSa

It fosters thought proccesses and knowing more than your opponent, not necessarily competition.

I agree with this guy:
The first level is competitive play. This is what we are generally discussing when we colloquially throw out the word competition or competitive. Competitive play is what we actually do at tournaments (or at least attempt to). Competitive play has been famously characterized by Sirlin's philosophy: competitive play is playing to win. The goal of competitive play is to win within the tournament system, (or any other medium) while forgoing any self made ideals such as "I don't want to play (or have you play) in a specific way because I find it to be lame, unfair, unfun, etc." Therefor I will define this first level of competition or competitive play as actively playing with the practical and realizable goal of winning. Competition at this level has no room for ideals whatsoever as the practical reality of the goal of winning cannot be resolved with them.

The second level is competitive organization. By this I don't mean we fight each other to be the best at organizing, no, what this level of competition is is how we control, promote, and operate our competitive play(which in this community and all gaming communities is done through the tournament system). I would assume, because at the level of competitive play there is a clear and practical goal guiding that which is competitive(the goal of winning), that there are also overarching goal(s) that characterizes what is competitive at the level of organizing competitive play, or competitive organizing.

If we stop and think about the nature of competitive organizing it breaks down to is this: the competitive community(everyone who attends tournaments) is attempting to create most successful rule set possible for competitive play. So the objective goal should be that which benefits competitive play, the competitive community and tournaments in general. When you consider that which is necessary and advantageous for all three you are left with the one factor that becomes the objective standard of what is competitive at the level of organizing: the number of people you have.
Also please remember I'm not advocating that we remove the counterpick system. I for one don't see competitive as it currently is (kind of like that locked character ruling of SCIV?) because than you are basing your character to be far more viable stagewise and matchup wise - otherwise you willingly place yourself at a disadvantage. I see that as competitive because of the word willingly. In fact - just that change alone would be good for our CP system.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
because than you are basing your character to be far more viable stagewise and matchup wise - otherwise you willingly place yourself at a disadvantage. I see that as competitive because of the word willingly. In fact - just that change alone would be good for our CP system.

so we should call the CP system the "would you like to willingly put yourself at a disadvantage?" system?

interesting.....subscribes for more goodness

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
""I don't want to play (or have you play) in a specific way because I find it to be lame, unfair, unfun, etc.""

This is where we hit the subjectivity problem.

Why should we ban a stage for playing a role in a match, when we know that stages are EXTREMELY rooted in Smash's game design? It's a PLATFORMING FIGHTER.

UberMario

Smash Master
I haven't read the entirety this thread, so I'm just going to sum what I read in the first post:

-You [Susa] believe character countering is not competitive

-You believe that counterpicking stages is not competitive

-You beleve Meta-Knight has no counters

-You believe there are no stages that MK is at a lesser advantage than on the others

-You believe that no one broke the counterpick system in a previous game. (SSB64? Isn't there a rule where you can't take a Ness to Saffron City? Melee? Aren't two laser-wielding characters and a puffball the primary (or near primary) reasons why Great Bay, Green Greens, and Jungle Japes are banned in that game? Keep in mind that the physics made less stages viable in Melee [and obviously SSB didn't have that many stages to deal with in the first place])

-You feel that the counterpick system should be changed or removed, what would you replace it with? Starters only? That would create an even more imbalanced system than you suggest we currently have. The only reasonable alternative IMO is stage-striking [on ALL legal stages, not just starters], with a largish roster of stages [all current starters and counterpicks, plus Hanenbow, Corneria, Green Hill Zone, Skyworld, and, to make it an odd total number of stages, Bridge of Eldin] with each player striking 11 stages [of the 9 starters, 13 counterpicks, and the five currently banned stages]. You don't want to deal with stages you hate or you think are ridiculous [i.e.Hanenbow] ? Strike them. After each player strikes 11 stages, that leaves 5 stages, and of those five stages, the two players agree on which stage to start with [or if neither player will agree, the stage highest on the "tier list" will be the one chosen], then either player can announce their counterpick AFTER the fight on the first stage takes place. [That way, you can counter with a stage that may make their PLAYSTYLE harder to pull off, since you already know what it's like from the previous match.] Using this method, the people that like starters can be happy [because they can strike all the "random, nonsensical stages" out that they hate] and people that love counterpicks can be happy [because if they are using a character that sucks on FD, they can strike that].

Susa (below) said:
In fact, I don't know where I said we should ban any stages. But rather strike from a very liberal stagelist.
Oh, that is what you want . . . . . alright then. lol

SuSa

so we should call the CP system the "would you like to willingly put yourself at a disadvantage?" system?

interesting.....subscribes for more goodness
You're still getting counterpicked, but you're willingly placing yourself in a position where you can have a disadvantaged matchup.

This would really weed out those 2nd match ____ mains to cover their characters weakness on counterpick stages. Thus truly showing the "viable" characters in the game and not catering to characters who only have like... one good stage and would always lose on their opponents counterpick.

:awesome:

""I don't want to play (or have you play) in a specific way because I find it to be lame, unfair, unfun, etc.""

This is where we hit the subjectivity problem.

Why should we ban a stage for playing a role in a match, when we know that stages are EXTREMELY rooted in Smash's game design? It's a PLATFORMING FIGHTER.
Not sure where I stated that. In fact, I don't know where I said we should ban any stages. But rather strike from a very liberal stagelist.

Also we can play on banned stages if both players agree to it.

SO ****ING GETTING A TEMPLE MATCH ONE DAY

EDIT:
@Uber
Might want to read the thread. Already suggested your last bit twice, but in a different manner.

Also about the Ness thing, is it because he's stupid good there or because he's stupid bad there? Because if it's the former, I don't see why the hell not I couldn't take my opponent there.

UberMario

Smash Master
EDIT:
@Uber
Might want to read the thread. Already suggested your last bit twice, but in a different manner.
Like I said I haven't read the entire thread yet, I only went by the first three posts in here.

Also about the Ness thing, is it because he's stupid good there or because he's stupid bad there? Because if it's the former, I don't see why the hell not I couldn't take my opponent there.

Stupid bad, he can't recover from the spaces in between the skyscrapers [whereas everyone else can], so all it takes is to interrupt his mid-air jump after a spike to finish him in those two channels.

Top Bottom