• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frigate Orpheon: Neutral or not?

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
I've heard many say that this level should be banned, but IMO it sounds just like the johns I heard about Melee's Battlefield. I'm thinking Neutral now, but a compelling argument could change my mind.

Kruton

Smash Ace
It's counterpick at TGP at the moment. I think it's a great counterpick stage, if you're dumb enough to let the stage flip kill you, than you reaallly deserve to die.

Locke66

Smash Cadet
it's pretty obvious when the flip is going to happen, esp. with the sirens and things. I agree with darkpaladin... seems like it should be neutral to me.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
the flip isnt a big deal and its not like its unfair to one person since its happening to both people on the stage.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen this stage or at least I don't think I have...where can I go to see it?

:3

ChewyChase

Smash Cadet
I'm siding with neutral, but I can see why people say it'll be counterpick.

Let's compare it to Dreamland 64, it blows wind on one side of the stage at a time, which may or may not affect all people. Everyone CAN potentially be affected.

This stage, it is even more likely because, unlike Dreamland, it TELLS you when it's going to flip, and it ALWAYS hit everyone.

Should be neutral, no different than Dreamland 64 in Melee.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Neutral. It's impossible to die, since it'll (at most) displace where you are, unless you're not trying to recover.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The flip changes the layout of the stage, so it isn't neutral. It's not how radical the effect is, it's how radical the change is. It's going to stay a counterpick.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
The flip is a random, forced interruption. Completely changes the momentum of an exchange, neutral stages don't do this. Pre-flip, The right side of the stage can't be edge grabbed at all. Counterpick.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Certainly seems neutral to me; it's easily less disruptive than the stage changes on Pokemon Stadium (Melee), which we got along with just fine. It's a very dynamic change, by it's not erratic or advantage inducing. A few people will die a few times getting used to it, but that applies to every stage. Heck, people still die to the ledges in Melee's Battlefield after years of practice.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Counter pick FOR SURE.
If you're recovering, and the siren starts to go off, you might not be able to make it back in time, and the stage WILL kill you. That's ********. The wind in Dreamland never killed anyone.

And this does happen, not in every match, but occasionally enough to keep it a counter pick.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
Look at the video I posted. If you are recovering during the flip, you are left to fall to your doom.
That was entirely Ganondorf's fault. He moved under the stage before using his up-b.

Most characters could stall their recovery to keep themselves alive should the alarm go off. I'm going to test this level out with characters who have limited recovery options like Mario to see how they fare.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Counterpick. I've seen people die during the flip lol
I have seen ONE person die from it. Those people are utterly, utterly careless and deserved it. It would not be this way in a tournament setting. People would not be careless.

This stage should be neutral, honestly.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I say neutral. I can agree with many people that this stage does no more than Dreamland 64 or Yoshi's Story (Melee neutral, which I'm suggesting now). Great stage. One of the few that SHOULD be neutral.

ThunderHero

Smash Apprentice
That was entirely Ganondorf's fault. He moved under the stage before using his up-b.

Most characters could stall their recovery to keep themselves alive should the alarm go off. I'm going to test this level out with characters who have limited recovery options like Mario to see how they fare.
Cant Mario cap stall? Cause in melee I know he could get a few extra seconds/a little more distance from caping before the ^b

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I have seen ONE person die from it. Those people are utterly, utterly careless and deserved it. It would not be this way in a tournament setting. People would not be careless.

This stage should be neutral, honestly.
That is true, every person I saw die during the flip had never played on the stage before. It was more of a shock thing I guess. :laugh: I'm sure they expected it if they played on it again.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
i love this stage as a stage, but one problem I see is some characters die if they get under the flip, some don't, if a pit, metaknight,dedede, etc grabs you when you the alarm rings, you die, they live with their too good recovery.

I say counterpick

Percon

Smash Lord
Interesting thing happened the other day...

Me and my friend were RIGHT next to each other, though he was on the ground and I just shorthopped (may have been the other way around... ah, who cares). Stage flips. He's in almost the exact same spot. I'm in the top left corner of the screen. 0_0

Doesn't mean too much... I think.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, the stage flipping isn't obstructive to the battle at all. It takes a fraction of the second, it doesn't affect you at all if you're in the air, and even if you're standing on the stage at the time, all it does is shove you off to the side a little bit (where you couldn't possibly fail to recover if you're paying attention). I don't think I've ever seen it kill anybody except people who have never played on the stage before and forgot to recover after falling off the flipping stage. So that doesn't seem like much of an argument for making it non-neutral.

There might be another problem, though. I saw a round on it the other day where an Olimar player got knocked off to the right on the asymmetrical version (that's the side with the platform that rises up and down). The platform was up at the time and he was coming up to the edge from underneath. He used the up-B and it didn't home onto the ledge at all, and he died. The chain was plenty long enough--it actually reached past the edge--but it refused to target it. That ledge probably has some kind of unusual mechanics, since when the moving platform is at its lowest point, it's completely level with the stage and the edge disappears. I'm not sure exactly what its properties are, though. Does it only affect tether recoveries? Is it just completely ungrabbable to everyone?

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, the stage flipping isn't obstructive to the battle at all. It takes a fraction of the second, it doesn't affect you at all if you're in the air, and even if you're standing on the stage at the time, all it does is shove you off to the side a little bit (where you couldn't possibly fail to recover if you're paying attention). I don't think I've ever seen it kill anybody except people who have never played on the stage before and forgot to recover after falling off the flipping stage. So that doesn't seem like much of an argument for making it non-neutral.

There might be another problem, though. I saw a round on it the other day where an Olimar player got knocked off to the right on the asymmetrical version (that's the side with the platform that rises up and down). The platform was up at the time and he was coming up to the edge from underneath. He used the up-B and it didn't home onto the ledge at all, and he died. The chain was plenty long enough--it actually reached past the edge--but it refused to target it. That ledge probably has some kind of unusual mechanics, since when the moving platform is at its lowest point, it's completely level with the stage and the edge disappears. I'm not sure exactly what its properties are, though. Does it only affect tether recoveries? Is it just completely ungrabbable to everyone?
There's nothing to grab on that side of the stage.

freetyme

Smash Cadet
One of my favorite stages (though I sadly haven't been able to play yet, just based on what I've seen). I don't see anything that would make it not "neutral". The flip is ridiculously fast. It's nothing like Spear Pillar (another one of my favorite stages) or Norfair because it's not super destructive and it affects everyone. This, of course, is just what I infer from videos.

Top Bottom