• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
There's nothing for indepth analysis, just general stuff. 2 big threads is enough for me to handle at once.

TL?

Smash Ace
Have any other ike mains tried to learn shulk? He's fairly intuitive for an ike player. His jab and dtilt can be used very similarly. He has the forward and down reach that brawl ike's forward air did(and more). Obviously there's plenty of differences as well but a lot of their tools that their games are based on work very similarly.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
Have any other ike mains tried to learn shulk? He's fairly intuitive for an ike player. His jab and dtilt can be used very similarly. He has the forward and down reach that brawl ike's forward air did(and more). Obviously there's plenty of differences as well but a lot of their tools that their games are based on work very similarly.
I have tried shulk. He is fun to use.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I co-main them. :4shulk::4myfriends:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I plan on making him one of my secondary characters. That Monado Buster art looks like its going to be really potent against the cast, especially the heavier characters.

^-^

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
I main them both. I use shulk more right now just because I don't have a gamecube controller lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Some people here are saying we have no video sharing thread, but if I recall san said the Griel Mercenaries thread was of sharing videos wasn't it? It says it on the first page.
Oh, I guess your Ike finder thread sorta counts as a video thread, even though it's not labeled on the title as such. I guess I'll remember to post relevant videos there later.

TL?

Smash Ace
I main them both. I use shulk more right now just because I don't have a gamecube controller lol
Yeah man I'm looking forward to that wii u version. Lack of gamecube controller is why I'm putting off trying to use marth properly for now. It would definitely help my ike game as well, as I find it hard to use bair precisely on 3ds. But overall I find ike to be fairly playable on handheld.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Oh, I guess your Ike finder thread sorta counts as a video thread, even though it's not labeled on the title as such. I guess I'll remember to post relevant videos there later.
Right now, I post most videos on the User thread, but I also put the best ones on the strategy thread. This won't really be needed as much with a full thread that discusses the videos.

supercoolmayo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-5095-7782
Shulk is downgrade to Ike to me. Attacks are slower, and he covers less space. I'd beaten all the Shulks I've gone up aganist with Ike

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yeah man I'm looking forward to that wii u version. Lack of gamecube controller is why I'm putting off trying to use marth properly for now. It would definitely help my ike game as well, as I find it hard to use bair precisely on 3ds. But overall I find ike to be fairly playable on handheld.
Yeah, my Pikachu isn't as good without a gamecube controller probably because of how I use my aerials with him, I can use Marth/Lucina really comforably on the 3DS, though. Ike though, my skill is great, but will be even better once I get my hands on the U version due to C stick Aerials, C stick Smash attacks are nice, but not as much as a game changer as the aerial variant, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Shulk is just Ike that stole Ike's nair landing lag, forward air, and jab hitstun. Just like Ike stole DDD's up tilt and pivot grab.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'm kinda upset how nearly every character has jabs that function properly on hit while Ike's doesn't work at times. Yoshi can mash Nair while being jabbed by Ike with low rage and trade hits with jab3. This shouldn't even be a thing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm kinda upset how nearly every character has jabs that function properly on hit while Ike's doesn't work at times. Yoshi can mash Nair while being jabbed by Ike with low rage and trade hits with jab3. This shouldn't even be a thing.
Yeah, even more annoying is that Yoshi gets KO confirms off of his Jab cancel, and I believe so does Rosalina.

It's like...the bias man.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Fear not, for a revolution should soon begin with us Ike mains once the Wii U version arrives along with the GameCube controller and adapter next month. I'm not sure how much of a difference a more viable controller option makes for the other characters, but I know with utmost certainty Ike will benefit immensely from it.

In spite of his shortcomings, I honestly do not see him as a bottom tier character, let alone the worst character. Sorry if this all sounds brazen, I'm just trying to remain optimistic. ^-^

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So Ike is bottom tier in Japan, hypeeeee
Keeping in mind that as I recall, even the Japanese are stating that the bottom tier in this game is nowhere nearly as terrible as it has been in previous games. Currently everyone looks viable, maybe certain chars have some noticeable counters, but most of the matchups in this game look pretty tame overall.

I mean...Ganondorf looks usable in tournament...even if only barely. General game mechanics are mad solid overall and keep 99% of bull**** under control.

Plus customs probably will be allowed competitively anyway, which also helps balance the game.

Last edited:

TL?

Smash Ace
Keeping in mind that as I recall, even the Japanese are stating that the bottom tier in this game is nowhere nearly as terrible as it has been in previous games. Currently everyone looks viable, maybe certain chars have some noticeable counters, but most of the matchups in this game look pretty tame overall.
I think jiggs straight up destroys slower/lagier characters. It feels like she can rest punish on block against most things ganondorf has. Also one tier list doesn't really represent japan, it's one dude's or one group's opinion. Tiers will shift depending on whether customs are on or not. I think Ike is the type of character that will move up with customs allowed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah...Jiggs could definitely be a balance problem. I'll be the first person to state that her buffs...are kinda absurd.

Though after watching the game a bit, I feel the changes to ledge mechanics actually sorta prevent her from being way too stupid. She's actually punishable on the ledge in this game, and characters being harder to edgehog means she has to work harder for gimps. Like I realize, one big reason she was so ******** in Melee was because her edge game was near impossible to contest. She also doesn't get a lot from the airdodge changes in this game, and while her air mobility is still incredible, other characters DID get mobility buffs (including Ganon iirc).

I still wouldn't be surprised if the character ended up top tier after Wii-U release. But there are some general mechanics to consider when analyzing the character.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Anyone else annoyed with the buffering system in this game?

Can't buffer a double jump + aerial, it just buffers the aerial (and likely to cause an SD)

Can't buffer a turnaround jab after an aerial, it doesn't turn around

Can't buffer 2 short hop bairs, it does a bair->ftilt instead

Can't buffer a crouch after jab

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Bring back brawl buffering :[

It seems they only let the latest input go through. I wonder if it will be the same for the Wii U.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I kinda got the hang of it. The buffering system in this game doesn't let you buffer multiple actions iirc.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I never really was able to get the hang of buffering. Was buffering the ability to inout an action while performing another?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You input an action in a certain frame window during your previous moves animation. In Brawl you could input multiple actions, however in this game you can only input one action which leads to undesired results at times, and makes some actions outright impossible.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
F-Tilt outranges it. You can't charge a smash but f-tilt works. I recommend just waiting for Sing to wear off personally then punish.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I kinda got the hang of it. The buffering system in this game doesn't let you buffer multiple actions iirc.
This is pretty much the deduction I made after I SD'd during a really tight tournament set Q.Q

I assume we'll all get used to it relatively quickly :p

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
I never really was able to get the hang of buffering. Was buffering the ability to inout an action while performing another?
Beawl buffering was last ten frames of your animation you start inputting the next thing you want to do. iE back throw dash attack or any of the things @ san. san. mentioned.

I as well can't stand the buffer system in this game.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I think the funniest part of the video is listening to the death noise slowed down

"ah..."

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I'm ok with the buffering. I prepared myself (Pun intended) to approach this game differently, so I'm not miffed.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
AllisBrawl will now redirect you to NintendoDojo.com It has a similar layout to AiB but I'll still miss it. NDJ just launched recently so I'm spreading the word. Ladders was a really popular feature of AiB and now it's back so I reccomend anybody interested in rankings to check out NintendoDojo.

(Really hope this isn't against the ToS lol)

Top Bottom