• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Bowser's looking to be a rather formidable opponent in this Smash. Back in SSBB's competitive environment, Ike and Bowser came even in match-up, if I recall correctly; this time, however, assuming that Bowser maintains his E3 build and that Ike plays very similarly to his SSBB counterpart, Bowser would have definitely outperformed him. Of course, we have to wait to see how the final build of the game turns out, as well as full gameplay footage showing any new properties Ike may have been given in his moveset to make a full analysis. Dang! Now I'm even more anxious to see how Ike turns out in this one!

I do not normally look for patterns, but I can't help but notice how buffed heavyweights like Bowser and DK had become, and maybe Charizard, too. If these characters can be made to be faster, then it's definitely possible for Ike to be as well. As A_Phoenix_Down mentioned, Ike's moveset will have to be significantly buffed if he's going to keep up with the competition. There several other variables to consider, though, such as how buffed or nerfed the other characters have become, and how the new physics engine will impact him.

^-^

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I don't think his moveset really needs to be buffed at all to remain relevant. All of his aerials would hold their own. Slow tilts and poor B moves are really all the needs to be addressed, especially with the improved ground game options. The biggest problem with Ike in Brawl was the global defensive options with air dodge, shield, etc. gave him problems, and all of those are easier to deal with now. I think Bowser is laughably easy in Brawl, but then again, there were no good Bowsers. Theoretically, though, he has some good options against Ike and can hold his own.

It was a joy to see some Bowser action on the 3DS but it's hard to say anything definite at the moment. People have yet to put into action the string/moveset potential of any character all that much.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
The Ike community prospering in the Brawl era was largely due to your efforts, san, especially with Apex 2010. Many other players were inspired to main Ike, including myself. Do you intend to main him as you did in SSBB? It would be nice to hear from you in the competitive scene again.

About Ike's moveset not needing any buffs for the next game, I hope you're right. As for the new physics of this Smash, I'm fairly certain he will adapt, especially if he retains his godly Jab from the previous; more hitstun along with less SDI would make it even deadlier.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Maybe... I've always switched around between Marth and Ike in Brawl. Ike definitely needs a huge improvement, especially with what I saw from Bowser in that Tournament a few hours ago. Marth's continuing to look even more terrible every time I see him in this game so maybe I'll completely main Ike this time! :D

Let's just hope we get some news for Ike soon... something that shows improvement too!
If your a talented Ike player. I bet every single one of us are. Anything is possible if your a great player. And we can take any character down!

@ san. san. I totaly agree with you! Yes I dont wanna see Ikes moveset change it was perfect. And Bowser finally is good in Smash 4! Bowser wasn't good nor he wasn't bad. And those people who were very good with bowser in ssbb, People beware because now bowser will give no syphany. Actually there were great Bowser mains.
@ Xuan Wu Xuan Wu His jab was great Sakurai needs to leave his jab lock!

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I don't think his moveset really needs to be buffed at all to remain relevant. All of his aerials would hold their own. Slow tilts and poor B moves are really all the needs to be addressed, especially with the improved ground game options. The biggest problem with Ike in Brawl was the global defensive options with air dodge, shield, etc. gave him problems, and all of those are easier to deal with now. I think Bowser is laughably easy in Brawl, but then again, there were no good Bowsers. Theoretically, though, he has some good options against Ike and can hold his own.

It was a joy to see some Bowser action on the 3DS but it's hard to say anything definite at the moment. People have yet to put into action the string/moveset potential of any character all that much.
Yes I absolutely love Ike's attacks, except for maybe his forward smash. I think a slightly quicker 1 handed strong looking down slash would definitely show his strength. His brawl forward smash bugged me cus the look of it struck me as if Ike couldn't handle the sword. But in general I think his moves should be executed a little faster. In brawl, he was unfortunately slow attacking and had slow mobility. Higher attack speed is the only improvement I feel he needs to move up the placements.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
You know Sakurai, those muscles aren't just for show. You should really show Ike actually fighting for his friends for once.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Heh, not entirely Smash-related but I had a dream the other day where I was playing Awakening and I checked Ike's stats at the bottom screen and it said, "Wife: Elincia".

We all know how that turned out. *cries in a corner*

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Utilt was fine start up wise..

I hate Ike's ftilt.. Mainly cause i'm trying to outspace but quick short range moves hit me out of it cause Ike extends his arms forward before the hitbox comes out...

Here's to hoping MK doesn't shut down Ike again.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm looking forward to using Ike this time around. He was good in Brawl, but here? He looks even more of a badass than he did before, with his Radiant Dawn outfit and the stern, fearless look on his face.

Heh, not entirely Smash-related but I had a dream the other day where I was playing Awakening and I checked Ike's stats at the bottom screen and it said, "Wife: Elincia".

We all know how that turned out. *cries in a corner*
I'm sure he found some nice, generic villager maiden to find comfort with over the mutilation of supports in his last game. Priam had to come into existence somehow.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm totally having :4myfriends: as a secondary.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
So, recently tried out Brawl again... the characters who I mained before taking a break from it feel a bit too slow at KOing people, but I've been liking Ike a lot more because of how he can quickly rack up damage and KO with Eruption.
So yeah, kind of excited to try him out in Sm4sh

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You know Sakurai, those muscles aren't just for show. You should really show Ike actually fighting for his friends for once.
Is anyone else worried that his catchphrase may not survive into Smash 4?

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
what do you guys think about his voice?
I believe his voice in Radiant Dawn is not the same one as it is in Path of Radiance.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
what do you guys think about his voice?
I believe his voice in Radiant Dawn is not the same one as it is in Path of Radiance.
It's the same voice actor, Jason Adkins, but he did sound more "older" in Radiant Dawn, at least. Kind of like how Solid Snake as Old Snake sounds older, but is still David Hayter.
Is anyone else worried that his catchphrase may not survive into Smash 4?
With all the memes of it, I'm thinking it will stay.

Last edited:

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
It's the same voice actor, Jason Adkins, but he did sound more "older" in Radiant Dawn, at least. Kind of like how Solid Snake as Old Snake sounds older, but is still David Hayter.

With all the memes of it, I'm thinking it will stay.
yeah I knew it was kind of different but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
During the JP direct, I saw two things about Ike

-it looks like QuickDraw SLIGHLY has less lag when it hits (or I'm blind)
-Great aether returns, now with blue flames

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
During the JP direct, I saw two things about Ike

-it looks like QuickDraw SLIGHLY has less lag when it hits (or I'm blind)
-Great aether returns, now with blue flames
Really, cause I saw red flames.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

I'm thinking Isaac might be a Assist Trophy again. :(

However we still have Ike to fight for his friend, Isaac.

:4myfriends:NO, ISAAC!!!!

:4myfriends:I will fight for my friend, Isaac!

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Yeah, Great Aether definitely has blue flames, but Ike's sword sword is gold and it looks like it might be glowing a little orange, which makes the whole attack appear a little reddish, despite the flames definitely being blue.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819

I'm thinking Isaac might be a Assist Trophy again. :(

However we still have Ike to fight for his friend, Isaac.

:4myfriends:NO, ISAAC!!!!

:4myfriends:I will fight for my friend, Isaac!
Yeah, I've given up hope for Isaac at this point. I only wanted three things out of Smash 4: Ike's return, Toon Link getting cut, and--most of all--Isaac's inclusion.

I guess 1/3 is good enough.

D

Deleted member

I just noticed that Ike's Smash 4 icon, :4myfriends:, has a nice easter egg in the way you post it through text only Final Destination +4myfriends: except the + is a : Stay classy Smashboards :shades:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
That is pretty cool.

I can't wait to play IkeMuscles

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
I know its already been confirmed but seeing Ike's blue eruption for the first time myself on Shofu's stream made me so happy :D

Daniee

Smash Cadet
Ike's new sound effects SUCK. Compared to Brawl, his attacks sound so weak and non-threatening when they land, and there's no audible *WOOSH* sound when he whiffs one.

I'm sad. Ike's sound effects in Brawl sounded so good and really contributed to my enjoyment of the character. :(

SirRob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirRobX
3DS FC
3394-4061-9856
I dunno if we already knew this, but from the Treehouse stream you can hear Ike's English voice is recycled from Brawl. ...Which means he'll still be fighting for his friends.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Man, performing aerials is weird when you've been conditioned to C-stick them. This demo's great though.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
I've watched some streamers play him he is almost identical. Run speed is a bit faster and some moves come out slightly quicker. Side not he still goes into free fall animation after aide B in the air which isn't fair because fox and falco can both jump at the end of there side B animations now....

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just did some Post-Release clean up within this forum as required by the staff. Please don't mind all the locked threads. This thread shall also be locked for a new one once the game comes out internationally, so keep that in mind as well.

The following threads still need to be made:

Match Ups
Stage Discussion
Q&A
Video/Critique - best to leave this one to a staff member

If someone wishes to create these feel free to. Just try to have a thought out OP, and be willing to make updates as necessary. If these aren't created soon I will go ahead and make them, which isn't as much fun.

Top Bottom