• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Freaky Twilight Fangirls Attack!

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1331]Freaky Twilight Fangirls Attack![/drupal]

It was a fairly long day for me today. But I finally got home, let my dogs out, made a sandwhich and sat down at my computer to watch the new episode of Unforgotten Realms on the Escapist. Now, on the Escapist they have a little side bar on the site that shows recent blog entries. Normally, I just ignore the side bar and watch whatever it is I'm watching. But one blog caught my interest: "I was attacked by Twilight fangirls today."

If I was in a debate about the difference between classic literature and modern literature, I'd probably make some kind of reference to Eragon as a modern classic. While I enjoyed reading the Eragon series I wouldn't call them "masterpieces," but I wouldn't be surprised to find people reading them when I grow old. And if someone suddenly starting bashing Eragon I'd probably try to have a debate about the book. But if said person was just being an incompetent jerk I would just say "whatever" and leave it at that. What I wouldn't do is hunt them down with a legion of nerds and try to kill them for not liking a book. It's a book, it's there for your amusement. Not to make you kill crazy.

The thing is, 99.6% of the earth's population is stupid. People, there's no reason to get worked up just because someone's tastes in entertainment is different from yours. If I brought up Half Life in conversation, and the person I was talking to didn't like it I would just move onto talking about someone else. I wouldn't start going on a rampant rage because they didn't enjoy a certain form of entertainment. Twilight fans, just because someone doesn't like a book that has a plot that feels like it's right out of a comedy anime doesn't give you the right to go berserk on them. Grow up and move on, it's just a book. Oh, and Edward is ugly as sin.

Chaco

Never Logs In
You sir just won my respect on so many levels.

I agree with every bit of that.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=1331]Freaky Twilight Fangirls Attack![/drupal]The thing is, 99.6% of the earth's population is stupid. Oh, and Edward is ugly as sin.
You are correct sir.

That was evil. Twilight makes you a psycho. ****ing Stephanie *forgets stupid author's last name*.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Oh my god. Oh my god.
This thread needs to be on national news.

finalark

SNORLAX
Oh my god. Oh my god.
This thread needs to be on national news.
Yes, yes it does! However, if it did I would probably have to lie low for a bit. Surround my house with a steel fence, a turret on top of my humble home, a number of guns lying around, and I would have to sleep with a Desert Eagle under my pillow.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Err, nevermind. Nobody that reads Twilight watches the news.
You're safe.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
So true. In art class about 2 days ago I heard 2 or 3 girls talking about getting the twilight dvd and watching all the comentary and extra crap and then debating over the books. it was creepy...but then again I guess I shouldn't talk. There are people on swf that would get into a serious talk about SSB, anime, video games, and the like. Still a good blog.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
There's one thing I've learned from all of this. No matter what you do, no matter where you go, there is no way to hide from Twilight.

finalark

SNORLAX
There's one thing I've learned from all of this. No matter what you do, no matter where you go, there is no way to hide from Twilight.
Exactly. It's a shame the fad just won't die. Oh well, in the meantime we always have awesome anti-twilight shirts that we can buy from the good old world wide web.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hey, that's my number. =P

Personally, my stance on the whole Twilight thing is...the books themselves probably aren't bad, and there's nothing wrong with people who like it...the problem is the waves of fangirls who saw Robert Pattinson, decided he was hot, and got into the whole fad. I have one friend who got into Twilight back when it first started (when the first book first came out). She really liked the books, so she re-read Twilight MANY times. Now she doesn't read it anymore and doesn't even like it all that much anymore because of all of the obnoxious Twilight fangirls.

So yeah, there are normal people who like Twilight. There's just also apparently psycho *****es like that who will be elitist and crazy.

Yay elitists.

I'd just like to say right now...for everyone stereotyping about Twilight, there are some stupid people but don't just stereotype and say that ALL people who like Twilight are crazy psychos who will defend it to the death. I know two girls who are perfectly normal people and aren't elitist about it at all.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Honestly, I can't really say the plot attracts anyone other than teenage girls.
It might be well written, but near anyone that knows girls well can write a book they'll love. Just make some sappy vampire love story, and they'll be all over it.

Nobody caught on to this cash cow of a concept until recently.

finalark

SNORLAX
Hey, that's my number. =P

Personally, my stance on the whole Twilight thing is...the books themselves probably aren't bad
I actually read the first book, and guess what? It was bad. It's like a politic, the style is really nice to listen to (read) but what it's actually saying sucks. I ignored the great writing style and examined the story, and once the word "shimmer" was used to describe a vampire in the sun I gave up on it. All it is is a crappy teem love story.

And come on, Steven King says that the book sucks. If you don't believe me then believe the master of dark fantasy!

EDIT: And another thing, it really pisses me off that now fantasy writers have decided "hey, let's be like Twilight" because of it's popularity. Come on, I preferred it when everyone wanted to be like Lord of the Rings, because that was an actual good book. Now look at the books you see, there's some book about vampires popping up everywhere. It's like targets on a shooting range.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Steven King? I still can't keep up with him, he writes faster than I can read.
The Shining was easily better than any Twilights.

Now that I think about it, I've never read a SERIES that was any good.

arch knight

Smash Lord
twilight = girl movie
underworld = guy movie

nuff said.

ive suffered the attack as well from my gf and her friends. however i didnt watch the movie yet. will power ftw!
.....but i sleep on the couch tonight :( :(

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Friends of mine got the movie and were going to watch it, so I decided to tag along just to see what it was all about. It wasn't bad, to be honest, although I may just have sucky tastes in things.

The reason a vampire's skin is described as "shimmering" in the sun is because that's what it's supposed to do. I don't entirely understand why, but their skin shines like diamonds in the sun, apparently.
I'm not pretending the plot was perfect, and it's kind of stupid how quick the two of them were to fall in love with each other. But it's not this awful piece of crap.

*Waits to be shot*

Not defending the elitists, I'm just looking to avoid the...stereotyping and endless Twilight-bashing because it annoys me as much as the opposite.

arch knight

Smash Lord
Steven King? I still can't keep up with him, he writes faster than I can read.
The Shining was easily better than any Twilights.

Now that I think about it, I've never read a SERIES that was any good.
Harry potter was ok and eragon was a shaky start to me.
Personally i would say that stephen king is running out of ideas his books are good but tend to have a reoccuring plot

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Harry Potter started getting bad after the second book, it just got too complicated, before, it was simple wizardry.

Dragons are just... a fad that will never die. Flying reptiles are just cool, I guess.

Name me any 2 books that have an identical plot, Arch. (King's work.)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I thought Harry Potter was good throughout all seven books, although I got bored of it halfway through and eventually got back into it because it took so long for the books to come out.

I thought Eragon was very well-written, I thought it implemented some really creative concepts...like, dragons and magic have been done before but I think Paulini had some really good approaches to them.

As for Steven King, I don't read most of his books, but I know someone who owns and has read just about all of them and has told me that they're similar. He didn't say identical, he said re-occurring.

From what I can tell, a lot of them share a theme.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have to agree, Straked. I really missed the episodic style of the the first two books. I really wish the series would have stayed that way.

Dragons will never die. Just so long as there is fantasy, there will be giant fire-breathing winged lizards.

And Firus, I would have to say that Eragon was really well written. However, I found the second book on the tedious side, I thought he dragged it out way to long.

And Steven King... it's been a really long time since I've read any of his works. The last thing I can remember reading by him was the Talisman, and that was ages ago.

EDIT: Oh **** it! I still didn't do multiqoute right!

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Ignorance spreads faster than the demonic love child of melting butter and pink eye.
Ignorance is also one step closer to knowledge these days.

And finalark, I'll have to agree with you on that. The second Eragon was "meh" I didn't really enjoy reading it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Twilight sucked (I'm glad Stephen King agrees with the bulk of us). I read the first book of the series and summarily hopped to the ending of the other three. The vampire glowing-in-the-sunlight thing didn't even bother me all that much, in all honesty. The writing style (I HATED seeing the world through Bella's eyes; it would have been nice if she would have had a little more substance to her), the character motifs, the conventions...it was just all very bland and unimaginative. Probably the most boring thing I've read in my life aside from the Lord of the Rings series (THIS IS NOT FLAME BAIT. I honestly did not like LotR and I will be more than happy to cite reasons why if asked).

Meier's other series, "The Host," is the one that deserves the accolades. Not this. That one was actually very interesting. It may not catch everyone's attention (re: some of the users posting in this blog) since it's still a love story, but at least it wasn't godawful and wasn't driven by the same teeny-bopper angst bull****.

And Fina, I see that you were referring to "other writers" using vampires in their fiction. Laurel K. Hamilton, Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, and countless others have included vamps in their stories wayyyyyyyyyyyyy before Meier even THOUGHT of putting Twilight to print. Vampires are very popular pieces of fiction and always have been. Meier just made it palatable to a broader audience, much like what J.K. Rowling did with Harry Potter and the wizard dichotomy. Just thought I'd point that out, bro.

Edit: Finalark, if you don't read the Dark Tower series (written by Stephen King) I'm going to eat you.

SUPER DOUBLE EDIT ABOUT KING: They have re-occuring CHARACTERS, sure, but they're not similar as far as plot goes. Tell me Hearts in Atlantis lines up with anything from his other books (aside from the Dark Tower) and then we'll talk about it.

Smooth Criminal

finalark

SNORLAX
And Fina, I see that you were referring to "other writers" using vampires in their fiction. Laurel K. Hamilton, Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, and countless others have included vamps in their stories wayyyyyyyyyyyyy before Meier even THOUGHT of putting Twilight to print. Vampires are very popular pieces of fiction and always have been. Meier just made it palatable to a broader audience, much like what J.K. Rowling did with Harry Potter and the wizard dichotomy. Just thought I'd point that out, bro.

Edit: Finalark, if you don't read the Dark Tower series (written by Stephen King) I'm going to eat you.
Of course I know that vampires have been in fiction long before Twilight was even conceived! I'm just saying that because of Twilight, vampires have started to become popular again.

I've heard of the Stephen King's The Dark Tower series by Stephen King but I haven't read them. I better to check them out before I become a victim of cannibalism.

D

Deleted member

The whole Twilight fangirlism thing is quickly spiraling out of control. In Circuit Court today, we had a chick who ended up getting fined because she called 911 when Borders wouldn't let her in at exactly midnight to get the movie.

I understand if you like it, but this ridiculous worship **** has to stop!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention earlier.

The other day I was fooling around with Google trying to see the little suggestions I would get. I typed in "when" for starters, and one of the options was "when is the world going to end". Right below that?

"when does twilight come out on dvd".

-_-

That second one is still there if you type in "when", but for whatever reason the first one isn't there unless you type more.

Still, the fact that Twilight was ever right below the world ending is...rather pathetic.

Actually, it's still pathetic since now the world ending isn't even as much of a suggestion as when Twilight comes out on DVD.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
We should all worship Calvin and Hobbes instead.
They might get their own animated TV series.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, I wouldn't really want that...

I read some Calvin & Hobbes back in the day and it was pretty good. I think an animated series would likely kill it.

Also, you are lacking a title. =P

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Awesome, if you're really serious, it's my favorite too. :bee:
I get the feeling I mention it too much.

Firus, it's already dead, it stopped running like, 11 years ago.
Animated series could only revive it.

Also, yeah. It's my custom title. Like it?

finalark

SNORLAX
They might get their own animated TV series.
When did this miracle of ultimate baddassery happen?

Okay, back on topic:

This is madness, people, it's a book! Not a god! You never see normal people acting this way, so why should you? I swear, there must be some kind of subliminal message hidden throughout the Twilight books. That's the only logical explanation that I can think of.

Also, something else sad: If I type in the letter "T" under Google search, the first thing that pops up in the suggestion box is Target. Right under it? Twilight.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Firus, it's already dead, it stopped running like, 11 years ago.
Animated series could only revive it.
I realize it's not running anymore, but that's not what I was saying. By "kill" I mean ruin it by trying to convert it to another media and trying to "modernize" it or something.

Either that or just a crappy translation from comic to TV show.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is that story for real? If it is, it is f*cking frightening. One thing that sucks about being a guy and getting beaten by girls...you kinda just have to take it.

Twilight has zero appeal to me. I read up to the end of the first page at a bookstore and put it back down again. I just don't get it. Seriously.

And I even know guys who are into it.

As for Eragon, I didn't get much out of that one either, though I did make it up to page 80-something before giving up. Not trying to impose my views on anyone else, but for me, it was very bland and typical. I've read much better works in the same genre. To be honest, I've read better videogame fanfiction. I wouldn't call it horrible, just very mediocre, at least in comparison to what I'm used to.

For a while, I was hearing scary things about Eragon fans too, but nothing like the Twilight fans.

Never got into Harry Potter.

After typing this post, I now hasten to make security arrangements. Man, I'm glad I'm not a teenager right now.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
I was rather humored by Twilight, mainly due to the fact that I was basically strapped down and forced to watch it.

Most painful, and yet, the funniest two and a half hours of my life.

The horrible acting, the horrible transitions, the horrible story, the SHIMMERING....Nothing about it appealed to me EXCEPT the fact that it was horrible. Many times, I begged my friend to let me go, it was so bad. Many times, I asked, "What can I do to let me leave?" But she just smiled and made me keep watching...knowing that it was tormenting me more than a seedless torrent...

But I felt triumphant sense after I finished the movie. Holy ****! I finished two hours and thirty minutes of TRASH! Two hours and thirty minutes of hell, and I didn't open my own wrists up! If I could take that, I knew I could take any other kind of torture in the world!

It was bad. I didn't like it. But at least some people can be accepting of other people's opinions towards things. Honestly, I liked the new Indiana Jones movie- it was good cheesy fun. I was often critisized by my peers for liking it, too.

I think I could write a chick novel fairly easily...

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I can't stand Twilight, I really can't. It's way too predicatble for me, and I can't stand the girls who consider themselfves 'Edward's Future GF'.

Yes, i've met girls who think Twilight is the best thing since life itself and will murder anyone who says otherwise. I just tend to ignore them, since I agree with the statement that they're stupid enough to obsess over something as stupid as a book.

twilight = girl movie
underworld = guy movie

nuff said.
Hey, i'm a chick, I hate Twilight. I wouldn't consider it a girl movie, maybe a 'mindless' or 'overrated'.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
"And Im pretty sure one of them bit my head." That story is great on so many levels. I mean I feel bad for teh guy but you have to admit the way he wrote it was in a comical light. This story made my day.

Top Bottom