• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Framingham, MA; July 28th (MA Bi-Weekly) Monthly Mass Madness 3: Rumble on Route 9

What price would make a difference to you, if you attended this tournament?

• At least $15

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • At least $10

• At least $7-8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At least $5

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • No more than $5

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • No more than $7-8

• No more than $10

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Any price is fine

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Proposition to have Pools at our next tournament:

Requirements:

16 total setups, I'll still consider doing it if we can get at least 12 setups, however 16 is the ultimate goal.

Why have 16 setups? Well a tournament of 40-60 people would want to have 8 pools. With our expected turnout to be between 40-50 people, that means roughly 6 people in a pool. Everyone would be guaranteed 5 games minimum unless you were put into a pool with only 5 people.

If we only had 8 setups, that would mean 1 TV per pool. In a 6 person pool, that would mean 15 total matches. That would take around 3 hours to finish.

However if we had 16 setups, that means 2 TVs per pool and we'd be done in about 90 minutes. That means EVERYONE will play 5 TOURNAMENT MATCHES in the first 90 minutes of the tournament! Most of the time people play one match and have to wait around for a while. Then if they get knocked out early it will be a while before TVs open up for friendlies.

My plan is to take the top 3 people from each pool to advance to a 24 person tournament. The winner of each pool will get a bye. This means we will only need 8 TVs for the tournament. The remaining 8 TVs will all be open to friendlies! Tell me that doesn't sound amazing!

I'd love for this to happen at this upcoming tournament. That's why I need anyone who can bring TVs, Cubes or VCRs to please let me through AIM, PM on the boards, or by posting in this thread that way I can add you to the list.

I really want to see this happen, because if it does, then it would probably be the funnest tournament in MA we've had since Cataclysm. But only you guys can make it happen. If you want to see pools, then bring a setup. If you can bring more than one, then please try and bring more than one.

TVs:

GameUniverse
RedSoxFan3
Elen

Total - 3

Cubes:

Questor
Elen
Game Universe (2-3)

Total - 4-5

VCRs:

RedSoxFan3
Elen

Total - 2

Blank Tapes (for VCRs):

Elen

Total - As many as Elen brings

Other Recording Equipment:

RedSoxFan3 (laptop)

Total - 1 laptop

Copies of Smash:

Questor
Elen
GameUniverse (2-3)

Total - 4-5

Extension Cord/Power Strips:

RedSoxFan3 (both)
Game Universe (1 power strip)

Total - 2 power strips, 1 extension cord

It's Round 3 of Mass Bi-Weeklies. (I know it's not really biweeklies but whatever lol) Our first 2 tournaments have both got great turnouts. Even last week had a good turnout with all the people who went down to Pound.

This next tournament I expect to be around 50 people or even more. The interest is out there and the tournament has been established. I'm sure this will get at least 40 people, so make sure you keep this weekend free. This could be one the of biggest tournaments in Eastern Mass in quite some time.

Tell your friends or anyone you know who loves to play smash brothers.

Also anyone who can bring TVs or extension cords, this would really help make this tournament run very smoothly. Last time I was a bit worried that we weren't able to get enough setups, but luckily the store had a spare TV and someone who lived a few minutes away was able to go back home and bring one out. So please please bring a TV if at all possible.

Game Universe
1251 Worcester Rd
Framingham, MA 01701
(508) 370-4263

Date/Time:

Saturday, July 28th
Singles Registration - 1:30 PM
Singles begins at 1:50 PM
Store opens at 11:00 AM

If you are going to be late, call someone who is already at the tournament or I supposed you could call the store to make sure you are registered. If you are going to be late, I can hold off a bit on calling out one of your matches, but I can't wait too long and hold up the tournament.

Note: Doubles is time permitting! (However it is more than likely it will happen. This is just in case crap hits the fan)

Doubles Registration will begin once Singles has ended. During this time there will also be a 30 minute break. At the end of the break, doubles will begin immediately. Those who are still getting food, taking a snooze, going number 2 whatever. I can give you a couple minutes to get back, but I wanna crank out the doubles tournament quicker than last time.

Entry Fee:

Singles - 10 per entrant
Doubles - 10 per team / 5 per person

The prize will be paid in cash. And the store will take a small cut from the pool.

Okay I'm thinking if we get a big turnout (at least 40+), we could adjust the prize pool for singles to include a prize for 4th place. However I definitely think 40+ should be easily achieved since the first one got 43 people and the second, in competition with Pound, got over 30 people to show up, we definitely have a good chance to reach 50+ and maybe even get close to 60 people.

Possible Singles Prize Pools

1st - 55
2nd - 25
3rd - 15
4th - 5

1st - 45
2nd - 25
3rd - 15
4th - 10
5th - 5

Doubles Prize Pool

1st - 55
2nd - 30
3rd - 15

Rules:

- Each TV will well labelled and rules will be on display around each setup in case there is any confusion amongst the rules or manner in which the tournament is to be run.

- All tournaments are double-elimination, which means that after you lose your first match, you enter into a losers bracket, and play against other people who have lost. If you've lost in the losers bracket, however, you're out of the tournament. The winner of the losers bracket plays against the winner of the winners bracket in the finals. The losers bracket finalist needs to win two sets, however, as the winners bracket finalist has yet to lose a set.

- Matches are best out of 3 with advanced slob picks and dave's stupid rule (which are explained below). ALL finals games (This includes losers bracket finals, winners bracket finals, and overall finals) are best of 5.

Advanced Slob Picks:

The first game in a set is double-blind, and the stage is random (using the random stages listed in the stage selection section).

The following applies to any game in a set played after the first:
The loser of the previous game declares the stage to be used, using any stage that isn't banned. The winner of the previous game then chooses his character. Lastly, the loser of the previous game chooses his character, and the game can start.

Dave's Stupid Rule:

No stage can be played more than once per match unless agreed upon by both players.

- All games are played with 4 stock, 8 minutes, and no items. Any tie that occurs is settled by comparing stocks remaining (More stocks = win). If there is a tie remaining after comparing stock, compare damage % (Less damage % = win). If a tie remains after comparing stocks and damage %, play out sudden death.

Restart Rule:

When a random stage is chosen for the first match of a set, you may immediately pause and restart the match as long as you attempt to do so immediately at the start of the match. (Just hold shield and hit start at the beginning of the match if you wish to avoid getting hit)

- Also before any stage is selected both players may agree to play on a specific stage or to not play on one of the random stages. (If both players don't like Battlefield, then you can agree that Battlefield will not be played if it comes up as the random stage)

Banning Stages:

At the beginning of the set, each player may ban one stage from being played.
Singles Random List: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, and Pokemon Stadium

Stage Selection:

Teams Random List: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64 and Pokemon Stadium.

Stages that are only banned in Singles:: Great Bay (Termina), Mushroom Kingdom II

Stages that are only banned in Teams Only: Fountain of Dreams, Mute City

Stages banned for Singles and Teams: Yoshi’s Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach’s Castle, Onett, and Kongo Jungle (DK Rap)

Pause Rule:

Pause may only be used to restart the match. Any other pause without permission from the other player or from a side judge is not allowed.

First offense is a one stock penalty. (This is not the current stock, but your final stock)

Second offense is loss of match.

Third offense is loss of set.

Fourth offense is removal from tourament.

Pausing when attempting to steal a stock in teams will be given a warning.

Depending on the circumstances of the match, the consequences may not follow the above protocol for any offense.

Additional Rules:

- For teams play, team attack is on, and stealing stock is allowed.

- Players may have a coach that can give advice to a player for one minute in-between games. As soon as the stage is declared, the coach may not be consulted until after the game finishes.

- Glitches that freeze a character, freeze the game, or simply make the game unfinishable are banned and using them will result in losing the entire set. For example, the Ice Climbers Freeze Glitch.

- Wallbombing and Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery. Wobbles Infinite is allowed. Stalling a game with any of these tactics will result in a loss of the entire set.

- Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.

- Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.

- Money Matches and friendlies: Keep in mind tournament games take priority over you. Try to get them out of the way during warmup time. Once the tournament has progressed specific setups will be open for friendlies only.

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
woot 1st post.

Coming to this again, and hopefully not going to suck again.

EDIT: aww, didn't get first post. just barely beat.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
I believe he said something around 20%, but that wasn't completely final last time we spoke.

The thing that worries me though is the cash prize will attract more good players, but the higher entrance fee could slightly reduce the number of people who attend. 5 dollars is pretty cheap and I think most new players don't feel so bad about losing 5 bucks. However most good players would like to see a bigger pot.

I'd like to accommodate everyone for pricing on the tournament. Please express what you'd like to see the price to be and if you'd still show up if it wasn't your ideal price.

Would everyone still go if the entrance fee was say 7.00 bucks? lol

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
$7 is probably good. $10 seems a little high for someone who knows they're going to lose, and I think with a lower entrance fee, you'll make up some of the money for prizes because of the number of people that will show up. With a $7 entrance fee, you get the same amount of money approx. 3:2 entrants ($21 for 3 people at $7, $20 for 2 people at $10), so if you think the price will have a noticeable effect on the turnout, go with a lower price.

The above paragraph may not make sense, but there's a decent point somewhere in there, I'm just too lazy to flesh it out and retype stuff.

Elen

Smash Lord
$7 is just too weird of an entry fee Quester :p $10 sounds good to me.

I'll definetely be at this again with 1 or 2 setups and a bunch of guys.

Odd pot ideas Redsox, but I think they could actually work well ^^ Nice job posting the rules right away this time btw ;-)

Step it up and come to this one guys. Theres plenty of notice this time, so this should be BIG!

Elen

Smash Lord
Th0rn the entrance fee we're talking about is for singles, not getting in the building xD Entrance to the store is free, entrance to the tourny isn't (obviously). ^.^ (And if you we're actually referring to singles entrance being free, then your crazy :-P)

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
$7 is just too weird of an entry fee Quester :p $10 sounds good to me.
yeah, but you haven't been coming in dead last the last 2 times.

and $5 could work too, I think you'd lose enough local and low-tier players with the $10 fee to impact the pot significantly.

Also, yeah, I'm just trying to get out of losing $10. But I have a point. Kinda.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
yeah, but you haven't been coming in dead last the last 2 times.

and $5 could work too, I think you'd lose enough local and low-tier players with the $10 fee to impact the pot significantly.

Also, yeah, I'm just trying to get out of losing $10. But I have a point. Kinda.
it's like a prerequisite that ppl new to the tournament scene get dead last for a while, lol. >_>;

would people really not come if singles cost $10? that's not that bad. I mean yeah $5 would be nice but...

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I can't come to this, I begin work in 4 days, and no free time until september-ish.

And yeah to new players getting last. I've gotten last in the previous 2 tournies I went to, even though I crushed people in friendlies before...

Also, people, whats wrong with $10? It would be the same as the store having a $5 entry fee, and having to pay $5 to play, except the store isn't even taking 50% of the $10. Don't be stupid people, go to this (even though I'm not)

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
I can be sure that at least 5 people wouldn't want to enter the tournament. And there could likely be more. Some of my friends from WPI said they wouldn't want to pay 10 bucks and they are better than I am. But they said they would pay 7 or 8 dollars.

And I think due to the fact that we have about 20% of the people who attend this, don't go to tournaments a lot, this could include them too. If the turnout for this one is affected, I think I'll try a lower price of 7 to 8 dollars for the next tournament.

Jinx

Smash Journeyman

Dunno why people would be willing to pay 7 or 8 but not 10... it's only $2 difference, but w/e... & make a poll on whether or not 2 ban wobbles.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
Wobbles is definitely banned. I almost lost to some ****ing huge newb at mlg because I missed 3 L cancels and he grabbed and wobbled me all three times.

Anyways ill be attending because I cant let scrubs like cwjalex keep winning these things :).

Elen

Smash Lord
Sweet. I want another rematch pat >=D Your mine this time ^^

highsmasher

Smash Cadet
Some of my friends from WPI said they wouldn't want to pay 10 bucks and they are better than I am. But they said they would pay 7 or 8 dollars.
Your friends go to a school that costs ~200k to get a degree from and they would let 2 or 3 dollars get in the way of a good smash tourny...?

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Do you know how broke you are in college? We get out and have 200K of loans.

Last time I checked you can't get out a loan to attend a smash brothers tournament.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Proposition to have Pools at our next tournament:

Requirements:

16 total setups, I'll still consider doing it if we can get at least 12 setups, however 16 is the ultimate goal.

Why have 16 setups? Well a tournament of 40-60 people would want to have 8 pools. With our expected turnout to be between 40-50 people, that means roughly 6 people in a pool. Everyone would be guaranteed 5 games minimum unless you were put into a pool with only 5 people.

If we only had 8 setups, that would mean 1 TV per pool. In a 6 person pool, that would mean 15 total matches. That would take around 3 hours to finish.

However if we had 16 setups, that means 2 TVs per pool and we'd be done in about 90 minutes. That means EVERYONE will play 5 TOURNAMENT MATCHES in the first 90 minutes of the tournament! Most of the time people play one match and have to wait around for a while. Then if they get knocked out early it will be a while before TVs open up for friendlies.

My plan is to take the top 3 people from each pool to advance to a 24 person tournament. The winner of each pool will get a bye. This means we will only need 8 TVs for the tournament. The remaining 8 TVs will all be open to friendlies! Tell me that doesn't sound amazing!

I'd love for this to happen at this upcoming tournament. That's why I need anyone who can bring TVs, Cubes or VCRs to please let me through AIM, PM on the boards, or by posting in this thread that way I can add you to the list.

I really want to see this happen, because if it does, then it would probably be the funnest tournament in MA we've had since Cataclysm. But only you guys can make it happen. If you want to see pools, then bring a setup. If you can bring more than one, then please try and bring more than one.

TVs:

GameUniverse
RedSoxFan3
Elen

Total - 3

Cubes:

Questor
Elen
Game Universe (2-3)

Total - 4-5

VCRs:

RedSoxFan3
Elen

Total - 2

Blank Tapes (for VCRs):

Elen

Total - As many as Elen brings

Other Recording Equipment:

RedSoxFan3 (laptop)

Total - 1 laptop

Copies of Smash:

Questor
Elen
GameUniverse (2-3)

Total - 4-5

Extension Cord/Power Strips:

RedSoxFan3 (both)
Game Universe (1 power strip)

Total - 2 power strips, 1 extension cord

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
Doing pools would be very cool. I would assume that you would seed the pools and not randomize them. If that were true I would recommend using DJ's tourney as a guide since most people showed up there as well as some common sense about how players have played in the past.

I can bring a setup and cube. :)

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
The tournament software is capable of sorting players by skill. So I'm going to grab a couple players who know the scene well enough and have them as well as myself double check the pools just to make sure everything is fair.

Plus in all likelihood, I'm going to do pick 3, which will allow for any minor margins of error for those who are in more difficult pools.

However once pooling is done, I will not make any changes to the 24 person bracket. The software will automatically give everyone who won their pool a bye. Then anyone who wins their first match will have to play a person who won their pool after.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
I've decided that if this tournament can be done using pools on a consistant basis, then I will leave the entry at 10 dollars. Everyone will be guaranteed numerous games early on without having to wait a long time. To me this is a much better situation and is worth the 10 dollars even for someone new to the smash scene who doesn't want to lose their money.

I'm sure this setup should keep everyone happy.

kirchinator

Smash Rookie
so wait, people new to the smash scene are basically destined to lose due to the lack of competition? ha if thats the case then I'm a little worried to go. I can brush up on my game by the end of july. only reason i keep saying i'm goign to atend and then ditch it is because i want to, but i hadn't played smash 2 months previous to the one in may. i'll seriously try to make this 1 if i can. i'll keep you updated. also 10 is fine, i don't mind. and that's literally 2 days before i get my lisence (darn). so i might need a ride. again, i'll keep you updated, so it doesn't seem like i'm posting for fun. also, i wouldn't mind a teammate for teams, but be warned, i'm terrible. lol

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
so wait, people new to the smash scene are basically destined to lose due to the lack of competition? ha if thats the case then I'm a little worried to go. I can brush up on my game by the end of july. only reason i keep saying i'm goign to atend and then ditch it is because i want to, but i hadn't played smash 2 months previous to the one in may. i'll seriously try to make this 1 if i can. i'll keep you updated. also 10 is fine, i don't mind. and that's literally 2 days before i get my lisence (darn). so i might need a ride. again, i'll keep you updated, so it doesn't seem like i'm posting for fun. also, i wouldn't mind a teammate for teams, but be warned, i'm terrible. lol
yes people new to the smash scene will most likely not do well in the tournament. or even friendlies. but the point is to get some practice in and play people better than you....so you get better. don't get discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom