• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Foxy Video Library/Critique

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Oh I watched part of that match up. You can definitely be him too. I'll drop the critique after I watch the whole thing.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Triple Post out of rage.

Here I'll tell you the three main points of the set.
  • You gave away stage control by jumping so high and/or walking away immediately after landing
  • Lasering inside his burst zone
  • Not trying to reset yourself to neutral after being put into a disadvantageous situation
Watch the set again and look for those three things and ask yourself what can I do differently to not get punished and how can I be the one punishing instead.
or
I know this is old but watch this and see what I do differently compared to what you did, even though there are still mistakes from both sides

Kuares

Pizza
I feel I played horribly in bracket singles but oh well, critique please even though I'm pretty sure I can guess 95% of the stuff I'm going to here haha
Hm, well in teams, you got hit by alot of deadweights. Just shield them. Always expect people see you coming in, bad approaches are still punishable, Snake Ftilted Hero and you ran in and he just did the same to you. It looks like you don't trust your team mate to follow up. Diddy's better at spiking than Fox so why go offstage when P-3's already there? One last thing, you stand around not doing much alot of the time. If you're free, just run in and grab or AC bair's/fair's so if people run into them you get free damage.

On a more singles note, learn more ways to get onto the stage from the ledge. I've seen Illusion onstage way more than I'd like, not that you were punished for it just learn something else. Mostly against sheik, you sat in shield and let him grab. Many of your aerial approaches were pivot grabbed. When you get an uptilt lock, but there's an opening somewhere, good chance they'll attack, so just shield grab them.

Sit down and practice JJC, again, you got punished for rapid jab alot.

Player-3 I'll get sometime after dinner.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
One last thing, you stand around not doing much alot of the time. If you're free, just run in and grab or AC bair's/fair's so if people run into them you get free damage.
thats way to strict and limiting. just bait, it leaves you uncommitted so you can react to approaches, but able to help your teammate if you have to. Fox is more of a support character imo, and hard committing to like fair is meh unless you have a reason

Sarix

Smash Ace
I finally have some Matches up for critique (please excuse my bad Lasering in these matches, I was struggling to pull off SHTL)

Vs :peach: (she is so hard to fight)
In the first video I think what caused the most problems was your attempts at SHTL. It's great when you can pull it off but if you're still working on it that is something Peach's will harp on immediately for easy damage.
In the second video I think what really hurt you in the beginning was taking :peach: head on in the air since that is where she is the most comfortable and it set you up for her to get some zoning going.

Overall I think you had a good mindset of trying to take her on more defensively I think one thing that may help is if you use SHDL or TL to try and condition a reaction instead of only camping by staying outside her range but close enough to punish (aka Burst Spacing).

Jet300

Smash Ace
I finally have some Matches up for critique (please excuse my bad Lasering in these matches, I was struggling to pull off SHTL)

Vs :peach: (she is so hard to fight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5jU_-wbdD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh7Rmrox2HM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Mb9dAiuwA
The first video, your SHTL was kinda the problem. This is how you must do SHTL right: Press your jump button and press B at the same time, and make sure you press it 3
times OK. So when you fight a Peach next time, try to press the jump button and B at
the same time, and press it 2 more times.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
In the first video I think what caused the most problems was your attempts at SHTL. It's great when you can pull it off but if you're still working on it that is something Peach's will harp on immediately for easy damage.
In the second video I think what really hurt you in the beginning was taking :peach: head on in the air since that is where she is the most comfortable and it set you up for her to get some zoning going.

Overall I think you had a good mindset of trying to take her on more defensively I think one thing that may help is if you use SHDL or TL to try and condition a reaction instead of only camping by staying outside her range but close enough to punish (aka Burst Spacing).
The first video, your SHTL was kinda the problem. This is how you must do SHTL right: Press your jump button and press B at the same time, and make sure you press it 3
times OK. So when you fight a Peach next time, try to press the jump button and B at
I know how to do the SHTL, its just I couldn't pull it off this time around in my match; my button scheme is set different than other foxes players.

@sarix yea I got to learn how to zone peach, don't know how other than to laser.

Sarix

Smash Ace
@sarix yea I got to learn how to zone peach, don't know how other than to laser.
I don't really think Fox can zone really as most of his moves push away opponents far enough that he can't constantly keep control of them. I would focus on just baiting her that or you can do what I've tried and improve your ledge game with ledge hopped double lasers and aerials. Unless the Peach is really gutsy I wouldn't imagine her risking possibly of not being able to get back onto the stage.

Kuares

Pizza
Honestly you did more damage using standing lasers than shorthop'd one, she's slow enough it looks like you can react to the approach and stop. Once she takes to the air to avoid the grounded ones, then SHTL.

Past that, you go punished for nairs at low percents(start of the 2nd match) pretty badly and you got killed for whiffed Up-tilts, try and avoid using those moves in those situations(opponent low%, you high%). Then there is Peach's fair, that stuff is safe to throw out and you got baited so much with that. It just looks like you aren't used to the speed she can put out moves.

What I might try to do is getting her into the air by using Fox's air stalling, when she tries to hit you, 2nd jump and dair her. If she doesn't go for you, just shoot lasers on landing. Pretty much zone her as Sarix said. Zoning for me that entails running away.

For the vids against Boss, keep track of C4's yo.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
I don't really think Fox can zone really as most of his moves push away opponents far enough that he can't constantly keep control of them. I would focus on just baiting her that or you can do what I've tried and improve your ledge game with ledge hopped double lasers and aerials. Unless the Peach is really gutsy I wouldn't imagine her risking possibly of not being able to get back onto the stage.
Honestly you did more damage using standing lasers than shorthop'd one, she's slow enough it looks like you can react to the approach and stop. Once she takes to the air to avoid the grounded ones, then SHTL.

Past that, you go punished for nairs at low percents(start of the 2nd match) pretty badly and you got killed for whiffed Up-tilts, try and avoid using those moves in those situations(opponent low%, you high%). Then there is Peach's fair, that stuff is safe to throw out and you got baited so much with that. It just looks like you aren't used to the speed she can put out moves.

What I might try to do is getting her into the air by using Fox's air stalling, when she tries to hit you, 2nd jump and dair her. If she doesn't go for you, just shoot lasers on landing. Pretty much zone her as Sarix said. Zoning for me that entails running away.

For the vids against Boss, keep track of C4's yo.
thanks I take all that info into consideration, but its gonna be tough trying to be best Peach. plus you know of any lasering exercise I could add to my training?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Random things I noticed.
Game 1
To start off, I must say I'm more impressed with your Fox that originally expected to be.

Did you know our Utilt beats Peach's Fair? I get Hero with it all the time.

Knuckles, your 2nd stock went so badly because you got so greedy it looked like you forgot what a grab was.

It looks like Ill's gameplay would be hurt if you started to SH Fair more and used more SH Nairs to interrput him using his aerial closer-to-ground aerials.

Examples stand here:
Fair would have beaten/traded with the approaching Dairs Ill did at :18
The whole 1:55 situation

There are several more examples but I wanted point out some not obvious ones. Just watch the match again and look for those situations, you took a lot of damage for it, especially your last stock iirc.

Game 2

...LOL, see the Nairs work! But why the hell are you playing the trading game with peach you were down percent wise??

Watch from :18 and see how you push yourself to the ledge. You're letting imaginary pressure from Peach get to you when her burst zone isn't even that big, not even with a turnip because you can react to turnips at that distance.

Work on juggling peach, you got 70(?) percent from trying to keep her in the air your 2nd stock.

Same stuff still applies from Game 1 too.

Basically as the set progressed you made more and more mistakes without fixing the old ones. Illmatic caught onto that and beat you more handily Game 2 than Game 1.

Okay vs. Boss
Game 1
I know I shouldn't say things like this I bet if you spaced yourself another Dacus after he hit you with the first one you could have baited it out of him and punished him.

Stop retreating so much. Learn the correct distance to laser and when not to too. At :25 you gave away the most obvious chance to sheild his Ftilt. He spaced himself for it homie. He dash sheild, released, walked forward. The Ftilt it easy to see coming. I'm being this nitpicky with you because you are winning.

Oh do you know, you spaced yourself for his Dacus (it looks like you didn't even know it) and he dash attacked, lucky for you tripped because if you didn't you would have dashed straight into it. When you space yourself for his Dacus you cover the option of that and dash attack.

That game shouldn't have as close as it was. He started capitalizing on the prementioned mistakes you made. It's obvious you are the better player but you need to focus on these things.

I'm not going to watch Game 2 because I know you won :p

Anyways check this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317800

Read that thread. Look at your vids (or any old replay) while keeping in mind of what's being said in the thread and what I critiqued you on. Read the critique and thread again, apply it in matches. Repeat the cycle until you get the handling of it all.

Good Fox.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
After fighting Tatsumaki for years with his Peach, I dedicated this match-up to memory. For starters, SHTL are essential in this match up, however if you are still under the works of perfecting it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with SHDL or even SHSL for that matter so long as you are spacing well and getting those little hits in. They add up trust me. Also, try to have enough space where you can bait and punish her. Peach loves being fancy in the air and will try to predict your laser to either dair you or strike with a solid crown to the snout and Fox does take some heavy hits from this princess if too reckless. If Peach tries to dair you to shield poke you, on the fourth hit of her dair, Fox can counter instantly with a utilt or Oos nair. Also Peach has horrible recovery and will most times try to stage spike you if you try to edge guard her too long. I believe around 80-90% Fox can recover from the edge in a slow roll and Peach is unable to autograb. I can't remember the percentage specifically, but I've done it on numerous occasions on Tatsumaki to gain a stock lead early if I could bait it. Peach is a bait and switch match-up in my opinion. Fox has the tools to beat her. She dies at around 110% with a fresh Usmash.

Also the easiest way I SHTL successfully is by changing my x button to specials since I jump with y. It's easier to reach and far better results if you want to try that way.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
^
I was actually pretty impressed this time. Even though you lost, you did very well. Nice job man!

If I get the chance, I'll see what I could do about a critique.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
^
I was actually pretty impressed this time. Even though you lost, you did very well. Nice job man!

If I get the chance, I'll see what I could do about a critique.
I specifically could use some help with his last stocks on the last two games and why I dropped the soap. I was pretty nervous so I played poorly on his last stocks (at least in the 3rd game)
Any help would be appreciated.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
@Talon
Is Jester going to record macthes on the next tourney?
I could always badger him until he does. We need more wiis that have infinite replay or recordable devices for streaming. That would be nice. We have too many epic matches that are not recorded. :(

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Hey Foxes I was on the stream at a local tournament for pretty much half the time, I thought maybe someone would watch. I really only recommend the Loser's Finals set vs Diddy Kong, the Ike/Pika guys was free and I got 3-0'ed by the Meta Knight (critique please?).
http://www.twitch.tv/digitalsaviorsgaming/b/316373246
0:26:00 Doubles
0:42:00 Doubles
0:49:30 Doubles
1:25:00 Doubles
2:29:00 Singles (vs Ike, Pikachu)

http://www.twitch.tv/digitalsaviorsgaming/b/316389177
0:35:00 Singles (vs Diddy Kong) (Loser's Finals)
0:57:30 Singles (vs Meta Knight) (Grand Finals)

And Kuares you should add this stuff to the OP, as well as the sets I had from two weeks ago.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Ah snap, forgot to critique the previous one. And now I'm busy too :\
Uh, maybe I'll soon get a chance. I did, however, watch the Ike/Pika match. I lol'd so many times :p
I was impressed with the way you strung your moves together though.

Kuares

Pizza
Trying to figure out the best way to link streams so all the info is there but I've been distracted by other things. Like tests. But after that I should be fine. Sorry I'm taking so long to update this.

I watched the match vs. MK and the commentators were right about you going in for kills way too much. I'll watch it again without the sound and see what I catch.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Ah snap, forgot to critique the previous one. And now I'm busy too :\
Hey it's fine, I beat that Diddy Kong in Loser's Finals in this most recent stream anyways :D

Uh, maybe I'll soon get a chance. I did, however, watch the Ike/Pika match. I lol'd so many times :p
I'd appreciate the critique.
I knew the Ike/Pika guy was kind of free so I played pretty flashy :awesome:

I was impressed with the way you strung your moves together though.
Thanks I was trying out TKD's method of "beast mode" that he keeps talking about and I really like it.

I watched the match vs. MK and the commentators were right about you going in for kills way too much. I'll watch it again without the sound and see what I catch.
You're right, I even knew that during the match, I just got incredibly nervous, which I do often when I'm on the stream for some reason, so I wasn't playing it very safe. Fishing for kills is a huge problem for me, though, I've got to work on that.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
37 seconds in

First thing i notice

Your not using laser correctly

Or at all to be frank

Camping with fox destroys rob

H1N1

Smash Journeyman
I find it to hard to keep up my lasering while trying to shield/catch/reflect robs projectiles. I'm getting better with fox no doubt

Wusi

Smash Cadet
Hai, I'm a German Fox player (picked him up Feb 2012) who just recently started playing offline (around April). I've been having some offline friendlies with German Snake main Draqo, tell me what you think :p . It's a friendly, but I tried to play top gear, more or less. Kinda did some silly things here and there, but I want to get criticized the hell out of myself. :213:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb83K5dgBU

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Hai, I'm a German Fox player (picked him up Feb 2012) who just recently started playing offline (around April). I've been having some offline friendlies with German Snake main Draqo, tell me what you think :p . It's a friendly, but I tried to play top gear, more or less. Kinda did some silly things here and there, but I want to get criticized the hell out of myself. :213:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb83K5dgBU
[COLLAPSE="stuff"]This is imo.
I saw some occasional reckless approaches(with short hop air dodge mostly) and some bad rolls. The way you used nair was kinda weird imo. Be careful how use use dair also. I think I saw some errors is lasering.

But other that, pretty good Fox. Didn't hunt for upsmash kills and had some interesting strings here and there. I *must* commend you for the way you used Battlefield though. The way you stringed your moves with the platforms proved to be useful. You clearly have some good knowledge about how to use BF well.

That's all I can say atm, sorry. Kinda busy doing irl stuff.[/COLLAPSE]

Regin

Smash Cadet
I don't have any video recording hardware so I can't upload my videos atm. I just wanted to let you guys know that the critiques and videos are all great. I know it's making everyone better :D. I'll try to get some footage from the ReSe tournament this weekend for you guys as well.

Shinymonkey8

Smash Cadet
I picked up Fox (Brawl, in fact) December of 2011, so I suppose one could say I'm fairly new to the scene. I've been to many tournaments including a national. Didn't do very well though. :/

Just recently acquired some recording equipment; some critique would be awesome! I'm always looking to improve.

Zerxion (Ganon) vs. Shiny (Fox) MM 1
MM 2
MM 3 :p
MM 4

I'm most definitely too aggressive; I know that much.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I picked up Fox (Brawl, in fact) December of 2011, so I suppose one could say I'm fairly new to the scene. I've been to many tournaments including a national. Didn't do very well though. :/

Just recently acquired some recording equipment; some critique would be awesome! I'm always looking to improve.

Zerxion (Ganon) vs. Shiny (Fox) MM 1
MM 2
MM 3 :p
MM 4

I'm most definitely too aggressive; I know that much.
You're pretty decent for just barely picking the game up.

Too aggressive, especially against a character like Ganon just wait for him to throw out a laggy move or commit to pretty much anything and then punish it

Shinymonkey8

Smash Cadet
You're pretty decent for just barely picking the game up.

Too aggressive, especially against a character like Ganon just wait for him to throw out a laggy move or commit to pretty much anything and then punish it
Mhmm, I'm pretty sure impatience is my biggest problem, which is definitely not something I want to be as Fox.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
I will definitely critique when you play against a better character. I like what im seeing so far :)

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I picked up Fox (Brawl, in fact) December of 2011, so I suppose one could say I'm fairly new to the scene.
for only a year in you look good.
what region are you???
edit: read WA
to bad you aren't EC :(

I think you should try to practice a bit without using shield. Like just replace it sometimes in friendlies with special or something so you die if you do it without thinking.

You shield a lot, and at your level of play vs ganon that's fine. But it really hampers your movement, and fox as a characters tends to want to shield a lot anyway imo, so being conscious of when to do it is extremely important. Learning to beat or bait out moves without relying on it will help you become a much better player, especially with foxs solid evasion game.

Top Bottom