• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox, Wolf, and Falco. How do they measure up?

blueblurr

Smash Rookie
What does everyone think about the differences between fox, falco, and wolf. Who's most tournament-worthy.

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
Wolf will probably be the most popular, I prefer Falco, he is a good middle gound between Fox and Wolf, with soem tricks of his own.

Also, Fox wont be used as much as he was in Melee IMO, and thats not a bad thing.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Wolf.

Good thing about Brawl is, it's alot more balanced than Melee, so hopefully in tournaments people will be using characters they actually like, as opposed to just using whoever's top tier.

Granted, in time Tournaments will no doubt just be:

Wolf and Pit only.

No Items.

Final Destination.

rove

Smash Apprentice
I'd have to say fox.
I'n melee he was a little crazy to control, but in brawl, hes meets my upmost standards.
I did smash with him in melee though.

Rash

Smash Ace
I adore the fact that Fox was toned down from his Melee self. With the new balance tweaks in Brawl, it's been shown that a character CAN be good without being too dominant.

The idea that so many people recognize the "adjustment" of Fox within the roster makes me happy.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Wolf's moves are fast, he just doesnt run that well. They really pack a punch. his >B is kinda weird too, but his Landmaster pretty much guarantees a kill. I dont really have any complaints with Falco cept his forward smash; kinda laggy. and fox is same old same old, pratically floating down with his reflector......they are all pretty balanced to me.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
LANDMASTER!

sorry, had to say it

seriously though, falco seems to be the best when it comes to projectiles(no limit on their range) fox covers medium distance fighting best. and wolf comes in as best up close. so realy its a matter of preference, but I think falco is the best, barely.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
I thought the best part about Falco was that his reflector can reflect odd projectile's like Pikachu's Thunder and whatnot. But Wolf's is good since whatever he reflects flys back faster....and Fox is just same old same old.....

.::Link::.

Smash Apprentice
the differences between fox, falco, and wolf.
Oh there is a difference? I hadn't noticed...

Fox/Falco/Wolf- Try their B moves.....Starting to see any similarities?

Its like the creators were like, "Hmm maybe the smashing population won't notice if we make these 3 characters virtually alike with minor move/weight differences."

The character list is disappointing with such characters as Wolfalcox.

Smash 4=No clones? We can only hope.

-Link-

Just because a character has similar B moves does not make him a clone.

Know what you're talking about before you sound like a smug idiot.

Micahc

Smash Ace
I adore the fact that Fox was toned down from his Melee self. With the new balance tweaks in Brawl, it's been shown that a character CAN be good without being too dominant.
Why do people jump to such hasty conclusions when the games only been out for just over a week?

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
They all can spam and camp, they should all be tournament viable.
I've never been a fan of playing them though.

Rash

Smash Ace
Why do people jump to such hasty conclusions when the games only been out for just over a week?
Because it's blatantly obvious that the game is better balanced and that characters who couldn't take on Fox for the life of them finally have a chance to do so in Brawl.

Wyvernkni

Smash Cadet
I once assumed Wolf to be a clone. Well, he's about as similar to Fox/Falco as Marth is to Ike. Not really.

Wolf seems to be tougher to fight against than the others, if not a little overpowering against most other people. An experienced Wolf player will probably have the upper hand against a player of equal ability playing Fox/Falco.

Tee-man

Smash Rookie
Falco for me

He's strong, he's fast, he has a good air game, his laserz pwn, he has pwnage taunts, he just Ownz

volbound1700

Smash Master
They are very different but if you want to say they are similar then look at Diddy Kong as well (has a similar up b rocket jump, similar movements, b is a shooting, has same round house, etc.) However, none of them are clones. Wolf is actually very different. Falco has 2 moves different then Fox but rest are similar.

Problem is their final smash. IMO Falco's should have been jumping in a fighter plane attacking the screen and Wolf's should have been to call his StarWolf squad. IMO that was one of the most dissappointing part about Brawl. IMO it just shows that they creators where lazy with these characters.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Fox is no where near as good in Brawl as he was in Melee, but Fox still kicks ***. In Melee, he as a 15/10. Nintendo lowered him by 8 points. Now he's a 7/10. That's very good. Marth is like a 7/10. Sheik is a 7/10. Its like the Melee 3 were all lowered so everyone else can know stand a chance. Long story short, Fox is worse, but still very good.

I have no opinion on Falco for now. I'm not a Falco expert, but am in the process of semi-maining him.

Wolf is the hawt. He is very effective in battle. The strongest of the three, yet strangely enough, he's not super slow. He has Mario's running speed, just about. Average speed, which is saying a lot since everyone just 'knew' Wolf would be the powerful, sluggish Star Fox character. Wolf probably is the best of the three.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Problem is their final smash. IMO Falco's should have been jumping in a fighter plane attacking the screen and Wolf's should have been to call his StarWolf squad. IMO that was one of the most dissappointing part about Brawl. IMO it just shows that they creators where lazy with these characters.
MY only Problem with the Landmasters is that Wolf is too short. I LOVE LANDMASTERS!!!!!!!
No really I do. If I was ever gonna make a tank, it would be a landmaster :laugh:

Maku

Smash Apprentice
Falco seems to be degraded in Brawl.
Fox on the other hand got some good improvements.
But, Wolf is the best of all 3. He can be a very tricky fighter in the hands of someone good.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wolf is slower then Fox and Falco. Falco has the best projectiles. Falco is the most all around character, and the best in the air. Falco > Fox > Wolf, just becuase wolf's smash attacks are predictable (and overused), and Wolf's aerials are the worst. Falco's uAir, dAir, fAir, and nB ftw! Fox's fAir and shine ftw! Wolf's....forward smash (easy to shield or shine) ftw...almost. >_> Wolf is really overrated, though. Falco's shine further proves why Falco is the best IMO.

LUCYMONO

Smash Rookie
All 3 are good. Fox and Falco are faster than Wolf, but Wolf has more power overall and he's got great smash attacks. Also of note... Wolf has less priority in his aerial up-A/down-A than Fox does, Wolf's side-B makes him dash diagonally, and Wolf's up-B doesn't shoot him as far as Fox's Inferno.

.::Link::.

Smash Apprentice
Just because a character has similar B moves does not make him a clone. Know what you're talking about before you sound like a smug idiot.

Woah...turn down the flames there buddy. I DO know what I am talking about...Perhaps they are just similar, but personally when I expect no clones that meant beyond the realms of stopping at similar and saying "Eh good 'nuff." I didn't say that they were 100 percent the same and I do know they are different. My problem is that they arn't different enough. So before you go into 'attack mode' maybe think of someone elses opinion and how it may be just as valid as your own.

-Link-

DarumaBlue

Smash Rookie
All three feel like very different characters, and I think the forum members are good and dedicated enough to Smash to know and "feel" that. A newbie might find Fox and Falco to be clones, but even a slight variation in say, fall speeds makes them different characters. That said, I'm not even open to the idea of putting Wolf in the same category as Fox and Falco. Way, way too different. Might as well throw in Luigi for comparison too.

I mained Fox back in melee and have found my play style (which did NOT use wavedashing or L-cancelling) to be little changed into Brawl. Falco, on the other hand (my secondary in melee) feels very different. I know some of the key moves are still around, but his new shine feels too sloppy and slow, and the side smash doesn't feel right, though I could believe the range and impact are similar to Melee Falco's.

All three are strong contenders, and I'd be hard pressed to say which is superior. But Fox has, most definitely, been pummeled with the nerf bat. I mean, furiously. Which is good. He totally deserved it.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Fox and Falco are akin to Mario and Luigi as of Melee, whereas Wolf would be more to Fox like Mario to Wario. For real, they are three very dynamically different characters. I prefer Falco, but that's just because he's awesome. I have discovered he can chain grabs together like crazy, a fact that very much annoys my Sonic-playing friend. His aerial game is also unbeatable.

BUT, I have discovered also that Wolf is a very fast and efficient character. I'm better with Falco, but that's just because I've been using him non-stop. Wolf's up-B is a KOing demon in sudden death, though.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
I don't play as either of them, but I fear Falco the most. His projectiles and shine are reason enough for me to be afraid.

Second, Wolf, third Fox. For no reason other than the fanbase of the 2. Wolf is just more common and more played.

blackninjaforevr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beefsloth
3DS FC
2681-2164-1047
Wolf is the easiest to do good with, and I thought fox was terrible until I finally played someone that was good with him and that changed my mind drastically. IMO Falco is terrible and worse than a lot of other characters.

Black/Light

Smash Master
IMO Falco is the best of the 3.

Fox is fast. . .and thats about it. Wolf is fast and strong but he doesn't jump good enuff for my teast.

Falco seems to be the most over all of the 3 but I can see Wolf being the most used.

Top Bottom