• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Trot canceling ??? (video)

lazychi

Smash Cadet
this is terrific news, i cant wait to see some vids of u and ur friends trying this out in an actual battle

BTW-It sucks how people on YouTube are bashing on your vid cuz they dont know whats going one >.>

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
How fast is foxtrotting compared to regular dashing? It probably varies with every character, but on average, is the initial dash animation slower or faster than the regular one?
It's the same speed.

I don't get your second question, there's only one type of dash...

So uhh... any answer on if you can still cancel the tripping animation with aerials?
Don't know. Tripping seems to occur entirely randomly.

oonoiroo check ur PMs when u got a minute
Will get to it.

I wonder if you could mix this with short hop double laser or even better, turn around in the air and shoot backwards while moving forwards.
You can jump out of a dash, so I guess. Wouldn't make a difference if you just regularly ran back though.

This is wonderful, just what the doctor ordered for this community. This discovery may quell some of the complainers.

I do have a question though, can a special be done out of it? I would love to fake someone out just to turn around and release a charged beam into their face... :laugh:
You can only Up B, Side B, and Down B. The only time you an actually Down B is during the initial frames of the dash(when you can initiate dash dancing).

Have you tried mixing this with jumping?
I don't get the logic in this. Yes, I guess. You can jump out of dashes.

Luthien

Smash Ace
It's the same speed.

I don't get your second question, there's only one type of dash...
I think the second question was pretty much the first.

I think Paper_Crane would like to know whether or not fox-trotting the same speed as dashing for every character. For example:

For Marth, the initial dash animation is the same speed as the rest of the dash. This is why this fox-trotting is the same speed as just dashing.

But say for a character like, I dunno, Zelda (just pulling a random person out of the air), if the initial dash animation is faster than the rest of her dash (meaning she starts fast but slows down after the first step), it would be faster to fox-trot than just usually dash.

And let's say for Fox (once again, random selection) has a slow initial dash animation, but after the first step he speeds up. It would be far more logical to just normal dash to move faster, correct?

So, reworded: Are certain character's fox-trots faster or slower than their normal dashes?

If I misinterprited the question, let me know.

Edit: nice new video! Sweet!

Adi

Smash Lord
Awesome stuff dude. It's sad that they removed Wavedashing because this mechanism of spacing will be even harder than wavedashing, resulting in just a bigger divide between casuals and competitives.

paper_crane

Smash Cadet
I think the second question was pretty much the first.

I think Paper_Crane would like to know whether or not fox-trotting the same speed as dashing for every character. For example:

For Marth, the initial dash animation is the same speed as the rest of the dash. This is why this fox-trotting is the same speed as just dashing.

But say for a character like, I dunno, Zelda (just pulling a random person out of the air), if the initial dash animation is faster than the rest of her dash (meaning she starts fast but slows down after the first step), it would be faster to fox-trot than just usually dash.

And let's say for Fox (once again, random selection) has a slow initial dash animation, but after the first step he speeds up. It would be far more logical to just normal dash to move faster, correct?

So, reworded: Are certain character's fox-trots faster or slower than their normal dashes?

If I misinterprited the question, let me know.
Yeah, that's what I was asking, thanks. So Marth's foxtrot moves at the same speed as his dash, but other characters may not?

Would anyone like to compare foxtrot and regular dash speeds side by side for a few different characters and tell us the results?

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
I have already answered that multiple times. It's the same speed =\

verditude

Smash Journeyman
From LeeHarris:
You can now smash the C stick up while running and your character will do their smash while sliding far. I know you could smash up while running in Melee but it is done much easier this time and it is more effective because you slide into place. It is cool as hell. Check out the videos on the Wifiwars post to see it done.
These videos are at http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/75 The C. Falcon one contains this tech.

Did you try this? Maybe it works for other C-stick smashes as well. If this does work, why is the foxtrot cancel more effective than cancelling a dash into a smash?

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Pretty much yea haha, but to change directions, you have to smash the direction of your trot then immediately they opposite way. Then you can continue that way or switch again if you want for juicy mind games.
okay, I understand how to do it but are you saying you need to change directions by smashing?

and go in-depth on the mind games bit.

3GOD

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8wygkxDyI

NEW VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tBzYAaGu0

ALSO SEE
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140981

Fox trotting is using the initial dash movement continuously to move. It is possible in Brawl. To do so, you must wait till the end of the dashing animation, then dash again.

In Brawl, you can only do this in one direction. To change directions, you must dash dance.

Every character can dash dance, but only with the initial frames of a starting dash. Because fox trotting uses the starting dash continuously, at the beginning of each "trot", you can initiate a dash dance. You can use this dash dance to change the direction of your fox trot fluidly.

You can also cancel the initial frames of a dash(in the range of what you can dash dance) with an Up Smash, Forward Smash(both ways, shown), Forward B(both ways), Down smash, and down tilt. I'm not sure how to get a down tilt though, as it has come out randomly. Quite possibly other normals are cancelable, but the dash dance makes that impossible to hard.

You can also run one way and immediately dash attack the other way with this.

Possibly the actual dash dance of brawl?
A few questions...

1) Ok, so you can only turn around in the first few frames of a dash, correct?
2) You may have addressed this already, but I take it that these initial frames (during which you can turn around) provide little distance?
3) However, if you let the dashing animation end, you can start another dash in the same direction ONLY?
4) This doesn't make sense - if the animation has ended, why can you not turn around?
5) Or are you actually dashing again BEFORE the animation has ended?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
From LeeHarris:
Did you try this? Maybe it works for other C-stick smashes as well. If this does work, why is the foxtrot cancel more effective than cancelling a dash into a smash?
Because canceling a dash lets you do any smash and side Bs, while the other way only lets you up smash. Fox trot also gives you more control of your character as you can change the direction of your movement very quickly.

A few questions...

1) Ok, so you can only turn around in the first few frames of a dash, correct?
2) You may have addressed this already, but I take it that these initial frames (during which you can turn around) provide little distance?
3) However, if you let the dashing animation end, you can start another dash in the same direction ONLY?
4) This doesn't make sense - if the animation has ended, why can you not turn around?
5) Or are you actually dashing again BEFORE the animation has ended?
1) Yes. You can only turn around in the first few frames of the initial dash animation
2) Yes. The window for dash dancing is so short that you don't get any practical distance.
3) Yes and no. You can in fact only dash in the same direction. However, you can dash dance as a way to turn around in place and thus when you combine the two, you get the effect of dashing in the other direction.
4) No. You're letting the initial dash animation end, and thus enter the dash cooldown animation. This dash cooldown can be interupted in the first few frames by performing another dash.
5)Read above.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's mostly because it's the same concept as it was in melee, and I've been around SWF for a while. So stuff like this I'll pick up pretty fast, because once you have the basic restrictions you can just think things out.

What I'm really looking foward to is what we might find a year or so from now. I can't wait to see how obscure some of the advance techs might be (moonwalking was pretty wierd, and at first pivoting made no sense to me).

dieslow

Smash Ace
this tech isnt very useful at all. u cant shield OR jump while in the dash animation so ur vulnerable to attacks.

edit: nevermind, u can jump.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Not bad... not yet convinced, but I definitely see what you're getting at. Also, shortening the name to just "trotting" might be a good idea. (So Fox doesn't get a big head ;) )

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
free bump since this came up again in Tactical discussion

BlueYoshiPinkShoes

Smash Apprentice
Long live Fetching!
Nice creative name, Percon.
I didn't wavedash in Melee, and I don't plan to FTC in Brawl, but, it will definitely silence some of the complaints.
Nice find!

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
I don't know if anyone has already said this before, but wouldn't it cause you to trip more likely?

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
It is a great technique, i used i a little in brawl. The problem is tripping though...Smash 4 will be the place to use it.

Top Bottom