• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox patch 1.10 changes

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Fox's jab infinite got removed. Complete BS if you ask me. They nerf Fox for no reason and he wasn't even a problem in the metagame.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm just surprised they didn't patch it out sooner

EDIT: Also shining airborne opponents now sends them at a more diagonal angle. Not quite a shine spike but there may be some use to this.

Last edited:

Hom3fly

Smash Cadet
Those dirty ********. I always said if they patched double jab I'd quit the character. The Ness matchup is our new worst enemy. I'm freaking out
where's our kill throw

Comorant

Smash Cadet
I'm more worried about the loss of Jab to Up Smash, Fox is gonna drop pretty hard in viability without that Kill Setup.

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
The jab combo was patched out?
Well, there goes hours of experimentation and practice. :glare:

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I knew they'd do it.

Not just taking away the jab cancels, I knew they'd give him a pointless shine buff to compensate.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
-Jab 2 knockback significantly increased, which kills the double jab combo.

Im like 90% sure the timeframe jab two automatically goes into rapid jab has lengthened significantly as well.

I think Upb is much easier to DI out of as well. Either that or the sweetspot seems much smaller. If that's the case, RIP firefox kills.

Can other people test shine for me? I think it may have a gotten a slight knockback buff. Still feels like frame 6 though.

Last edited:

Steam

Smash Hero
well getting jab infinited across the stage is pretty lame. no one should be surprised it got taken away.

Last edited:

Hom3fly

Smash Cadet
Literally jabbing them from one side to another did like ~25% and that's without DI, messing up, or the character being able to escape
It reallllly wasnt that bad

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Literally jabbing them from one side to another did like ~25% and that's without DI, messing up, or the character being able to escape
It reallllly wasnt that bad
It was character dependent, and your timing was probably off.

Hom3fly

Smash Cadet
There are very few who got infinited at low percents, Ness, Lucas, Wario, Bowser Jr etc
Im saying it didnt do much damage either way
Most damage came from downsmash at the ledge
One less kill option for a character who already struggles to kill

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^You act surprised that they'd patch out something that can basically trap your opponents for long periods of time

The dev team doesn't think about the fact that people use this combo to make up for his lack of kill confirms, they just see it as an unfair tactic that makes life for the other player very unfun.

Luig

Confused
I tried fox with the double jab combo and he seems less... fun. He loses his combos into kills and part of his main viability. They could have made it so it set up a kill, but you couldn't infinite it.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
You guys are aware that fox shine was hugely buffed right? you can now actually gimp people offstage ala melee.

colinies

Smash Cadet
NNID
CoLiNieS
This really sucks bad, it's not just the jab combo but it's everything it leads into. It really helped control the pace of the game and combo'd into so many variations for big damage. Welp, time to get more creative....I guess.

Tenretsujin10

Smash Apprentice
I've seen some Fox's do Jab 1-2 Upsmash, let's hope that's still a thing. (also, Jab 1-2 into turn around up-tilt still kind of works.)

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Shine spike can stage spike. <333333 Sucks about the jab nerf, but I think we can still get a dash attack off of it or it might just be a mixup situation idk. So many people are bad at getting out of combos in Smash 4, so it's hard to tell off of it's success sometiems.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
The reason for this nerf probably has a lot to do with For Glory. I can imagine that a lot of new players would face a good fox, get jab locked across the stage and KO'd before they knew what was going on. Smash is meant to appeal to everyone, even low level players, so it isn't surprising that something so frustrating for them to deal with got patched out.

tronfox64

Smash Cadet
I'm going to get hounded for this, but Shine feels like its coming out on frame freaking 1, and his jab connects with its finisher properly now. Also, If his jab2 > dash attack turns out to be a true combo, then I honestly see him having many more extremely early kill setups. Jab1 > Jab2 > Dash Attack > Uair starts to kill sheik at around 88% without any rage at all.

(Just do technique where you flick :GCR: > :GCD: + :GCA: for very quick dash attacks)

If all this is true, then this feels like it really gives fox some new tools.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Yeah, you need to hit with the tip of his jabs from my experience, that way they don't touch the ground before you get the hyphen smash off.

colinies

Smash Cadet
NNID
CoLiNieS
I'm going to get hounded for this, but Shine feels like its coming out on frame freaking 1, and his jab connects with its finisher properly now. Also, If his jab2 > dash attack turns out to be a true combo, then I honestly see him having many more extremely early kill setups. Jab1 > Jab2 > Dash Attack > Uair starts to kill sheik at around 88% without any rage at all.

(Just do technique where you flick :GCR: > :GCD: + :GCA: for very quick dash attacks)

If all this is true, then this feels like it really gives fox some new tools.
This could also lead into angled downward Fair > Up Smash, nice find

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
I was messing about on training, and i think you can still do jab 2>Jump cancel'd upsmash pretty fine
Also, i seemed to struggle to cancel the Jab2 into grab, but i was never able to do that 100% consistently so it may be placebo.
Either way, i managed to do Jab 2> Dash grabs/Cross up Pivot grabs to remedy it. It doesn't sound like anyone else had problems with this though so w/e.

Also, i tried adding perfect pivots to link the jabs back together and while extremely hard (have to pp then turn around to face the right way consistently) i might actually be working. I'll be honest though, i'm hardly diligent when it comes to checking how true any of these things were. I got no one to test with but CPU dummies.

But the jab 2> dash attack seems legit.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
The fact you have to hit the tip of the jab to get them to go upwards is hard, it's just like with Dtilt's tipper will send them upwards. **** Sakurai, we still don't have a throw combo that's guaranteed cause they can just DI Dthrow after all.

well getting jab infinited across the stage is pretty lame. no one should be surprised it got taken away.
It was insanely character specific, and you just had to DI upwards as Lucario, though yes, hard to escape.
Fox could jabjab Lucario, but Lucario just needed rage to kill Fox, so really, what can we do against Lucario now?

Hom3fly

Smash Cadet
More importantly WHAT CAN WE DO TO NESS NOW
THAT WAS OUR ONLY GOOD HIGH TIER MATCHUP WHYYYYY

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Not crazy about the changes, but I guess it makes sense - Nintendo seem to want less of the "whelp you can't do anything" in Smash 4 (for the most part). Like someone mentioned Fox wasn't a problem in the metagame at all, and in reality was a pretty balanced character even with the jab - maybe their logic was they sort of gave a buff in the shine to offset it - but its really not comparable.

What do people feel like this will do to impact Fox, their play and his place in the metagame?

*edit* couple more finds since I posted this - laser lag is pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Tenretsujin10

Smash Apprentice
They buffed his lasers by reducing endlag, It looks like Fox's Jab 1-2 have a sourspot and sweetspot regarding knockback: The sweetspot (tip of the 2nd jab) launches them at an upwards angle, allowing hyphen upsmash. The sourspot (not the tip of the 2nd jab) launches them horizontally away.

In terms of gameplay, Fox's jabs can still be used to setup combos, just removing a few options like Jab Jab Downsmash.

Top Bottom