• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox or Falco: Who's better?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Made this post over on the tier list thread, but then everyone remembered they were stupid and started discussing Pichu>Kirby again. Would like discussion plz.

I haven't made a long post on smashboards in a while and it was either this or study for a med school admissions test next week, so this is where my priorities lie. I know everyone likes KK's ties idea of Fox/Falco because it's easier due to how close they are, but the fact is that they aren't, one's better then the other. For years I've thought Fox>Falco, recently I've re-evaluated and can't come to a conclusion. So here it is, laid out for us to make a judgement.

Game play elements: Who is better at what?

Edge guarding – Tie. Fox's shine spike is about as amazing as Falco's lasers here (might not seem it, but stealing second jumps and forcing your opponent to recover in the position YOU want is awesome). Both have invincibility frame renewable ledge hop B Air taking out anything and everything and both can also on stage F Smash/D Smash/whatever if they want. Falco's D Air is awesome too, but it doesn't really accomplish what couldn't be done by listed above.

Outright kills – Fox. Don't get me wrong, Falco never has a problem killing with super strong F Smash and B Air and spike and edge guards and whatnot, but Fox's U Smash is better then anything Falco has on the ground and U Air is a better aerial finisher then anything Falco has (SDI isn't consistent yet and B Air in place of it gives screwed up DI fun). Vertical killing is just better these days and Falco doesn't have it as good.

Shield pressure – Falco. Fox's is more air tight frame wise and more difficult to get out of, but Falco's punishment disparity more then compensates. If Fox's N Air/D Air breaks through, he can't react in time to continue guaranteed, the opponent can implement defensive options, and the same is true of the shine. Fox's shine breaking through near the edge is awesome because it knocks the opponent off, but this makes it situational, something Falco's is not. Falco's shine's monster stun means you can react and continue a combo consistently from a hit, if D Air hits it leads straight into shine anyway. Both are about as good at escaping, with super awesome aerials and shine OOS being gay and broken. Shine grab is equally retardedly good for both.

Stage control – Falco. Fox has the best mobility in the game as well a lovely gun himself, but Falco has a gun which stuns and is thus lovelier. Powershielding isn't a particular threat as long as you don't laser in the “can be attacked following the PS range” and Falco has a lot of options avoiding PS'd lasers. The fact is he controls the movement game where as Fox is just the best at the movement game.

Comboing – Falco. Falco combos everyone (yeah, actually everyone) with the best launcher and spike in the game with loads of gay finishing from the likes of B Air, spike and quirky smash combos. Fox is so close with the lameness of a set knockback move with always guaranteed ish after (including possibly the best kill smash in the game) but falls back a bit against characters like Puff and Samus and generally people who fall down from the shine. His combos are also effected more by SDI, not just the fact that one day D Air (I'm sceptical but maybe) and U Air could be consistently avoiding the latter hits, N Air also starts to send too far. Falco is comparatively unaffected.

Grabs – Fox. This section kinda ties in with comboing but I thought it deserves its own. Both are amazing at forcing them with shield pressure and the aforementioned awesome of shine grabs, as well as both D Airs comboing into it (maybe Falco's slightly better at forcing due to lasers), but Falco's tricksies with messed up DI hits don't compensate for the cold hard gay of Fox's U Throw. Guaranteed combos on large portions of the cast with either edge guard or straight out kill from B Air/U Air. While Falco has grab combos against FFers sometimes, Fox still wins due to U Smash and CG, and later B Air/U Air.

Matchups:
These are all kinda my opinion, but I'll try to exercise conservatism when necessary. I've probably argued all of them in depth at some point but currently cba. It's fine if you have a differing view(though doubtless it's because I'm like 5 off yours and not worth debating), but if it's actually a view that opposes mine pretty drastically I'll discuss it in the MU thread gladly.

vs Themselves – Even. I might lean towards 55-45 Falco because of how much easier execution for him in the matchup is (Fox has to react to loads of **** with pinpoint accuracy while Falco can do some easy auto combos) but it's really close whatever.

vs Puff – Fox. I think Puff goes even with Falco because Falco still retains comboing, lasers (Puff is the best in the game at getting round these, but lasers are lasers) and high priority aerial awesome, but yeah Fox beats Puff like 60-40.

vs Sheik – Even. I think both go 50-50 with her, though the consensus is that Fox does better.

vs Marth – Even. Pretty much the same as above, though if anyone does better it's Fox by 5 or something negligible.

vs Peach – Fox. By like a lot. I think Falco wins 55-45, Fox on the other hand molests Peach. I won't quantify it, but it's ****.

vs Falcon – Even. I like Scar's 65-35 for both idea, though it often doesn't pan out this way because Falcon can punish mistakes pretty drastically and spacies players are often stupid.

vs IC's – Fox. Fox exploits everything that's fundamentally flawed about Icies pretty well (not the unholiness of Peach vs IC's but yeah). Falco wins slightly, people arguing 50-50 underrate that Falco has a one frame super separator that leads to him comboing the balls off which ever he chooses + he kills Nana sooo well.

Dr Mario, Ganondorf etc. (aka meh they can do OK in tournament tier) – Even. Both have advantages on all, though no greater then 60-40. Samus doesn't beat Falco, <3 Hugs but no.

Not tournament viable tier – Not worth debating, no real effect on tier position, suffice to say both always have the advantage.

Tournament representation:
I've gotta give this to Falco. Fox is extremely common and there are more decent Fox mains then any other character, plus he's probably the most common secondary, nearly every top player has a Fox. However, at the very highest level the only real Fox main representation is Jman who consistently places top 10 at nationals (not Lucky really, though I guess you can make an argument for him). He also probably places higher then any Falco on average (though don't quote me on this, I haven't checked). Jman could be thought of as an outlier player in this regard. Falco's representation on the other hand has Zhu, Shiz, Dr Peepee and arguably Lamchops all consistently placing very high. Overall, Falco does better. I think you can attribute this mainly to Fox's very high necessary precision, making him the more inconsistent of the two in tournament.

Would love to hear everyone's views, unless it's regarding my screwed up priorities.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Oh I also posted this regarding recovery, seeing as I missed it out in the first post.

Yeah, that's why I gave him the advantage. Falco isn't dead for leaving the stage either, illusion's a relatively decent recovery and near always the primary recovery used by both spacies. Seeing as both illusion's have pretty negligible recovery differences, I say a longer Up B with start up hitbox doesn't give a large advantage.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
About the recovery (which you might want to just edit in as a section in your first post), keep in mind nobody is successful on edgeguards 100% of the time. Let's say falco is knocked far off, he can't make it back no matter what. Fox can make it, and there is always the small chance your opponent will fail to edgeguard and fox will make it back.

Also, fox's better recovery allows him to go farther off stage to gimp enemies. Falco doesn't have as much leeway with that, because if he goes and attacks too far out, he won't be able to make it back.

I think fox does a tad better on most of the matchups on the other top characters. One more thing is that powershielding really hinders falco, but not for fox. Nobody powershields 100% of the time, but it's still something that is technically potential and kind of limits falco.

Not completely sure where I stand on this. Maybe some in depth tournament result study is needed too.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I kinda differ with you on some points. I know those are just your opinions, but I have mine, and, seeing as it's relevant to the topic, I wanted to share what I thought.

I agree with you on edge-guarding. Fox's shine ***** so much more than Falco's lasers, but one important thing is that Falco's lasers are so much safer because of transcendent priority and the fact that they're projectiles; you don't have to be put into any danger whereas the shine-spike requires you to be in close proximity.

For comboing, I feel like Fox and Falco are even. Falco has a lot of good combos using his standard arsenal, but, though Fox doesn't have many straight up "this just plain combos on other characters" such as pillaring, a lot of his moves just tend to flow (especially due to his speed), and the nair itself is great combo material.

vs. Falcon, Fox definitely ***** more than Falco. It's not, like, a "FOX IS 100x BETTER" but, although the difference is not great, I feel like it's significant enough to say that Fox is better than Falco at the Falcon match-up.

Also, illusion being the primary recovery is actually pretty bad... Besides the point that you should vary your recovery, the illusion has practically zero priority, and people can predict the illusion and react to the Fire afterwards seeing as the charge-up time is pretty long. I mean, Fox's FireFox is longer than the illusion (at least along the ground) and that's really useful. Just try rolling to the edge of FD and illusioning in a direction. Then FF backwards and you'll end up sweet-spotting the ledge. But that's only because you end up going over the ledge.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i think at the very top level with both players having amazing reaction speed and both have amazing knowledge of the matchup, that fox wins.

shine is only unreliable if you can't followup, buuut almost all atleast decent players can followup shine to basically anything you want(aerial,smash, shine) if they're not choking.

both players knowing the matchup i personally think fox. Falco does have it in terms of 'easyness' in the MU, but that shouldn't be considered at all if were talking two great players which i would hope is what we mean

raw speeeeeeeeed

edit- also yeah fox being able to go farther out makes for more gimp oppurtunitys, and falco is easier gimped because of the recover. two things that can definitely matter

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Kirby vs Pichu is highly relevant to Melee's metagame.

One of them will become mid tier. Give them time.
I don't mean to be rude, but this has nothing to do with the fox vs falco debate, it's completely irrelevant and it just detracts from thread.

OT: About the matchups, I think fox does noticeably better. Much better against jiggs, peach, and perhaps marth by a smidge. Peach and jiggs just give falco a lot more trouble, and given that they are being seen a lot in competitive play today, that needs to be taken into account.

About the falcon matchup: I'm leaning towards 60:40 instead, but that's been thoroughly debated on the main matchups thread, and it's not really a big issue in this discussion.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
you shoulda realized by his first post that he clearly wasn't serious, then the second woulda probably been just as obvious.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
you shoulda realized by his first post that he clearly wasn't serious, then the second woulda probably been just as obvious.
Yeah, I took it more seriously than I should have.
I just expected somebody with that many posts to make more mature posts in this thread...just forget the whole thing.:dizzy:

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I forget who said it, but more posts = you tend to care less about the quality of your posts.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
LOLoh boy...

Yeah I dont personally see why it's rude to assume someone is gay.. but w/e.

And yes, fox easily has better matchups. Fox is better. but matchup wise it is deffinately a turn up (wish i was talking about peach matchup so i could say no pun intended). I find vs. fox easier than falco dittoes, but that could be just because of my playstyle or some dookie.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
LOLoh boy...

Yeah I dont personally see why it's rude to assume someone is gay.. but w/e.

And yes, fox easily has better matchups. Fox is better. but matchup wise it is deffinately a turn up (wish i was talking about peach matchup so i could say no pun intended). I find vs. fox easier than falco dittoes, but that could be just because of my playstyle or some dookie.
Not about being called gay, it was just the dimwitted response I received that set me off.

Anyway yeah, fox does have better matchups. But of course, matchups are pretty much theoretical, and in regards to actual practice, falco has been doing a bit better tournament wise than fox has.
I feel there are a lot more people who go falco as a hardcore main than fox. Most people keep fox as a secondary or as a backup. That might have something to do with it.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
KK was a really good poster until like a month or two ago when he just started talking about how gay everyone is in every post.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
Not about being called gay, it was just the dimwitted response I received that set me off.

Anyway yeah, fox does have better matchups. But of course, matchups are pretty much theoretical, and in regards to actual practice, falco has been doing a bit better tournament wise than fox has.
I feel there are a lot more people who go falco as a hardcore main than fox. Most people keep fox as a secondary or as a backup. That might have something to do with it.
lol yeah I know. I was just trolling KK.

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
id say fox is better by like 1% but im not sure. falco has amazing options and combos just like fox. fox moves faster on the ground but falco definetly moves through the vertical faster and with lasers, they really compensate for his slower speed. falco is definetly really good though, and has a slight advantage in the fox falco matchup

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
falco. i thought his mu with peach was bad, but if its not, than i dont see any bad mus, but im sure he has at least one. anyway, falco's shffls are a very good approach to most chars, and his shine dair off a cliff (ledge) can be devistating, and the very fact he has such a good spike is win on its own. im not saying fox is BAD or anything, i mean, he has shdl, which id very good for racking up damage while the opponent comes. fox may have shdls, drillshine, and many other good things, but just not as many as falco.

so yeah overall im for falco but i like fox more so i main him.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You're gay.

umm you should probably grow up. you're not much help at all. why do you have so many posts, half of them are trash :(
You're gay.

KK was a really good poster until like a month or two ago when he just started talking about how gay everyone is in every post.
You're gay.

KK is getting down on the trees?! bull****

KK HIT ME UP LETS GET DOWN
Let's do ittttttttttttttttttttttttt

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
I always felt like Fox was a better char, Falco just seems easier to use at higher levels but I think that Fox can be played a lot more flexibly than Falco.

Also, to save KK the trouble, I'm gay.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Because then one of them would have a disadvantaged matchup? That's a bad reason.
it's not really a bad reason; the spacies are two of the three best characters, and the other top character (Jigglypuff) is extremely unpopular. That means that they make up a large part of the upper-level tournament population, so "being good against spacies" is a huge part of "being a good character". It makes sense both practically and mathematically.

If Falco were advantaged vs. Fox, it'd more than make up for Fox doing better against Peach, Samus, and other such characters that don't have a lot of representation. I guess if Fox ***** Jiggs like people used to think AND Jiggs gained in popularity, then it'd swing in his favor.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
I only read the first post. The way I see it, Fox is better. My judgement comes partly from him having no bad matchups and partly from him being more agile. A more agile character means it allows for more possibilities. In order to understand this concept imagine a perfect controlled Fox and a perfect controlled Falco. The more technique gets closer to perfection the higher the gap is (IMO, at least). What makes Fox kinda underachieving (or at least, not more achieving than Falco in tournaments) is the fact that the psychological side of the game is still more influencing than the technical one. Moreover, Fox players sometimes get blinded by Fox's flashyness acting reckless as a result.

On to the specifics..

Edge guarding – Tie. I agree with you. Both have Bair. Fox has shine, Falco lasers. Both have effective smashes. Falco has got Dair which covers better some positions but Fox is faster so his edgeguard is somewhat smoother.

Outright kills – Fox. Again, I agree with you. There's no real questioning here, expecially in NTSC. DI is way harder on vertical kills and Fox has got all the tools to capitalize on those. Usmashes, Uairs, and comboes leading to both finishers. Also, apart from killing moves themselves, both Fox and Falco usually kill by getting an opponent off stage and edgeguarding from them. Thanks to his agility, Fox has somewhat an easier time landing the Bair/Nair that will lead your opponent off stage.

Shield pressure – Even. I kinda disagree because I don't consider shield pressure to be really relevant. If by shield pressure you mean mere pillaring than framewise Fox is better but Falco can capitalize more out of it and has more hitstun. The point is that shield pressure is somewhat situational. What matters more to me is the psychological side of putting your opponent under pressure. And Fox can do it by simply being close to his opponent (this due to his high speed and amount of possibilities in all situations). Falco on the other hand has lasers to limit his opponent's movements and can still keep up with some mix ups.

Stage control – Falco. You already expressed very well my own feelings about this point.

Comboing – Falco. Falco deals more damage and his comboes last longer. Keep in mind though that his comboes are somewhat harder to execute. And also that Fox's comboes will often end with a finishing blow.

Grabs – Fox. Not much to say here either. Falco only uses grabs because they go along well with his lasers and because they're too important as a mix up in the big rock, paper, scissors game. Fox's grab easily lead both to comboes and finishers and go along very well with the character's speed.

Match ups: Fox. Fox commonly is considered without a counter (Marth in the best case scenario). Falco has arguably 4 possible bad match ups (Peach, Puff, Marth Sheik). Your opinion on those may change but I haven't really heard anyone claim Falco has an advantage in all of them. Moreover, Falco has less ****** potential than Fox when dealing with lower tier characters.

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
falco definetly has the advantage vs marth and sheik, not as much as fox vs sheik but more vs marth. falco has slight advantage vs peach and puff is the only one that might be a "counter" to falco, but i think puff could also be a "counter" to fox, and falco *slight*> fox so that helps his matchups even more

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
im pretty sure its even but if anything i would say peach has the advantage on falco. and falco does **** sheik pretty hard but one grab by sheik dthrow techchase gg.

Top Bottom