• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox on Brinstar.

Se><bot

Smash Apprentice
This thread is being made for two reasons.

.....First, I think Brinstar is a horrible, horrible stage, and should not be legal. Second, since the stage is currently legal I would like to compile some videos of fox players on brinstar, so that we may all be prepared to play on it, if or when the time comes. I couldn't personally find any on youtube, so if anyone has any knowledge of a hidden stash of them, please link! Otherwise, discuss the stage mechanics and strategy/play style that you feel should be encorporated on this stage.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i pretty much auto ban brinstar vs anyone unless they are a known chaingrabber or another spacy player.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think I hate Kongo Jungle more haha ... Brinstar you can break the middle with your fire and shoot lasers at people xD

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
if your opponent has or might have a pocket peach/puff just autoban it. maybe cfal too, although i dont hate that one as much. fox is good enoguh on brinstar to hold his own against most of the other characters.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
i like brinstar its not as bad if u no the lava patterns and how high its goes and what platforms r safe. now would i bring sum1 there no but im comfortable there

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
Since my question is relatively similar to the OP, I'll use the same thread, if he doesn't mind...

I'll attend to a local tournament soon, and I am pretty confident I can beat anybody who will be there, except for one player who mains Samus.

Sure I should auto-ban Brinstar, but the thing is that Mute City is a legal Counter-Pick in these tournaments (The samus player is the TO, which explains why he wants Mute city to be a legal CP, since he wants us to ban Mute City so he still has Brinstar as CP :glare: ).

So I have no choice to ban Mute City, it's even more horrible than Brinstar for Fox on this M-U...

I think I'm gonna win the first match, then he will counter pick Brinstar (it's almost always like this against him lol), I cannot really camp Samus, because Samus will outcamp me easily with Missiles, and the lava limits my movements.

Can anybody help me, so I have a chance to win on this matchup?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Missiles are slow
You have a reflector
Break the middle with Firefox and SHL while reflecting his missiles

Besides, you seem pretty confident you'll win the first game, why would you be uncomfortable beating him on your counterpick xD

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
hah! It's true that I look confident that I'll win the first match, but to be honest my chances are at best 60% of winning the first match, if I don't I'll have to win on my Cp AND Brinstar whcih will be very hard, since this Samus player is very solid IMO.

I agree that the missiles are slow, and that I have a shine to reflect them, but when I reflect missiles, I cannot JC the shine, and on such a small stage, Samus has plenty of time to position herself in order to get the advantage, no?

If I reflect the missiles, sure they will go towards Samus, but I think they'll reach their distance limit before being a threat for my opponent...

Or is there anything I missed that you could explain?

thanks in advance!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well that's why you break the middle so Samus can't reach you with like ... grab or something
It's really easy, one Firefox burns through the weird bubbles

I mean, this is assuming you want to camp. If camping is your general strat vs Samus breaking the middle and shooting Samus with lasers while denying aerial approaches with Bair is how I'd do it

If you want to just be aggro avoid the middle part and the weird tentacle things unless you're comfortable Lcanceling on them haha

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
... and shooting Samus with lasers while denying aerial approaches with Bair is how I'd do it
That's exactly what I do on this match-up usually, but it seems like the weird lay-out of this map is just not helping me hehe

If you want to just be aggro avoid the middle part and the weird tentacle things unless you're comfortable Lcanceling on them haha
I have a very aggressive style in general, until I play on some weird stages like Brinstar because of what you stated, It screws up my shield pressure a lot when I hit these things.

That's mainly why I have trouble on this stage, it seems like my opponent is always near the tentacles or the middle, so I get punished by their OoS options most of the time.

Well, from what you say, it seems like camping is not a bad idea on this stage vs. Samus, this means I only need more knowledge of this match-up! I don't want to be aggro on Brinstar only because there is not enough space between the "weird tentacle things" and the middle for me.

Thanks a lot for helping me out!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well, you might want to keep in mind that I play Samuses like once every 5 tournaments I go to so most of this is what I think I'd do if I played vs a Samus on Brinstar

Just remember to GET TO DA PLATFORMAAAAH when the lava rises (can you break the tentacle holding the platform so you can stand above the lava? I have no idea)

I just booted up this stage, the really high lava rise is ******** -_- good thing it only lasts like 2 seconds...

Freestylin

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHH8XNLtxjs&feature=related

here is an example of a fox doing the work vs jiggs on brinstar, this is zhu vs darc in genesis crews, however notice how the stage pretty much wins the match for darc..

and therefore the reason why I ban it as a fox player vs peach or jiggs or samus pretty much, other characters have better options so banning it its not worthed imo.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Since my question is relatively similar to the OP, I'll use the same thread, if he doesn't mind...

I'll attend to a local tournament soon, and I am pretty confident I can beat anybody who will be there, except for one player who mains Samus.

Sure I should auto-ban Brinstar, but the thing is that Mute City is a legal Counter-Pick in these tournaments (The samus player is the TO, which explains why he wants Mute city to be a legal CP, since he wants us to ban Mute City so he still has Brinstar as CP :glare: ).

So I have no choice to ban Mute City, it's even more horrible than Brinstar for Fox on this M-U...

I think I'm gonna win the first match, then he will counter pick Brinstar (it's almost always like this against him lol), I cannot really camp Samus, because Samus will outcamp me easily with Missiles, and the lava limits my movements.

Can anybody help me, so I have a chance to win on this matchup?

All you have to do is win the first game and the third game (and if its finals, the fift.)

Doser

Smash Ace
I'd love to see more videos on this stage with fox. I wouldn't mind watching some falcos either but I assume that's going to be even more rare than foxes.

Doser

Smash Ace
I've been looking at Brinstar matches on youtube and in fixed camera mode by myself and have been paying attention to the lava pattern.

I don't know if this is common knowledge but it seems like it would be somewhat helpful to be able to predict what movement the lava is going to take next. The time between the movements of the lava is random each cycle but it does appear to be on a fixed cycle, and the times do not deviate all that much between cycles.

Definitions:
1st level: the part of the stage below the three platforms.
2nd level: the part of the stage below the middle platform.
Below the stage: the lava is above lower blast line but below all parts of the stage.
Right below the stage: the lava is almost above the bottom part of the stage, and you can walk off of the stage directly into the lava.

Lava Pattern
The pattern lists levels where the lava is stationary, and the movements of the lava between these stationary moments.

Below blast line (start of the match)
Rises
Still below blast line
Rises
Above blast line, but far below stage
Rises
Below stage
Lowers
Still above blast line, but far below stage
Rises
Covers the first level of the stage
Lowers
Below blast line
Rises
Covers 2nd level of the stage
Lowers
Below the stage
Lowers
Below blast line
Rises
Below stage
Lowers
Below blast line
Rises
Right below stage
Rises slowly (very slightly)

Lava now covers small amounts of the bottom part of the stage, primarily the far left and right of the stage. The lava is not visible on these parts but the player will get burned and launched up in the air if they walk over it. Players can be down-thrown into parts of the stage closest to the lava and then be sent up and burned by the lava.

Lowers
Below blast line
Rises
Covers 1st level
Lowers slowly
Right below stage (lasts only about 1 second or less)
Lowers slowly
Below stage
Lowers
Below blast line (First part of second cycle, cycles take on average 2 minutes and 10 or so seconds)

The lava has different heights below stage that I simply left as "below stage", but I don't know a way of accurately describing them or honestly being able to accurately compare them to see how many different heights of lava there are below the stage. Hopefully it shouldn't be too critical.

If there are any errors or stuff I left out please tell me.

Top Bottom