• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox multishine video

PCHU

Smash Lord
I know that multishining isn't very useful in a normal match (well, unless it's wallshining).
But, I just thought I'd ask you of the Fox boards for your critique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXhtowjWZgE

This is far from Tool-Assisted (unless you count the Mountain Dew I drank shortly before I recorded the video, though I could've done it without the caffeine boost anyways, since I did a good 45 shines this morning, but accidentally deleted the video, so I had to do another take).
I used my right thumb, going from Y to B as fast as I could.
I would have done this with my bare hands, but the left side of my thumb hurt so bad from doing this so much that I had to wrap my thumb with tape.
It was the only thing around at the time XP

Can you count how many shines I did?
Read the video description if you lost count.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I'm not really seeing the point of the thread. Everyone knows how to multi-shine, and the only critique you can possibly give is, "move your thumb from B to Y faster".

It seems like you're just showing off to me.

Cool though.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Eh, now that you put it that way, I don't see the point in this either >_<

Wait!
I've got a question.

Okay, it's plain to see that I'm quick, but...
How come I can't do this on normal ground?
Basically, I was using the tree as a support, as shown in one of my previous videos.
I'm fast, and yet I can't do this on the ground.
The most I've gotten is three on the ground.
Here's another thing.
I saw someone go THE EXACT SAME SPEED (I think it was a bit slower) on the ground.
Why is it that I'm not able to do it on normal ground?

Well, at least I know what I'm capable of.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I didn't even try and count the amount, but thats a cool video. Impressive thumb speed.
^_^ Thanks to you and anyone else who posts.
I'd rather not spam up my own thread with myself thanking everyone, so sorry if I don't reply.
I do keep a close eye on subscribed threads, so I'll see your post.

And I'll probably end up posting after about 3 more.

FastFox

BRoomer
Practice makes perfect.

You're probably used to doubleshining against a tree, so when you try it on flat ground with nothing on either side of you you end up psyching yourself out.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Actually, my thumb speed is the same.
I just don't see why I end up DJing out of it after the second shine.

It was literally just yesterday when I realized I could do this on the tree.
I knew I was fast, but the second I tried it on the tree, I was like "LAWLZ that's quick."
And then, I was like "I wonder long I can keep this up."

I'm quick in all places, but, I'm not as efficient in others.

IrArby

Smash Ace
So is it possible that the tree moving allows him to do it easier? I'll go and test it but its obvious that the tree moves but I don't know whether that effects it or not. Possibly why he can't do it on the ground IDK.

*goes to test*

FastFox

BRoomer
I think I know what it is.

The weight of a character standing on the tree makes the tree sag. When you shine, then jump out of the shine into another one, the weight from the tree is lifted for a split second, and it pops back up while fox is "floating in the shine" or whatever (try running off the edge and shining, holding B. Fox doesn't fall immediately, he floats a bit), placing him back on the tree in the shine position. When the tree pops back up you're JUST hitting B to shine again. The up-down-up-down motion of the tree must make it easier to doubleshine.

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really seeing the point of the thread. Everyone knows how to multi-shine, and the only critique you can possibly give is, "move your thumb from B to Y faster"..
dude I was so going to say this! instead of drinking that mountain dew try a spike shooter. Its a lot better!

IrArby

Smash Ace
I think I know what it is.

The weight of a character standing on the tree makes the tree sag. When you shine, then jump out of the shine into another one, the weight from the tree is lifted for a split second, and it pops back up while fox is "floating in the shine" or whatever (try running off the edge and shining, holding B. Fox doesn't fall immediately, he floats a bit), placing him back on the tree in the shine position. When the tree pops back up you're JUST hitting B to shine again. The up-down-up-down motion of the tree must make it easier to doubleshine.
Yes I agree, since after testing it I found you can time short hops so the tree will actually pop up and you'll barely leave the ground. The shine seems to push the tree down. I did like 12 shines at one point and I can only do 3-4 clawing on the ground (I don't really practice this much though).

PCHU

Smash Lord
you're cheating by using that branch.
I'm aware.
That's why I'm asking how I can shine on the ground.
It's obvious I'm fast enough to do it (I'm not bragging; remember that I'M the one who needed the tree to do it).

But what am I missing?
Why is it that I can't shine on normal ground?

And you know, it takes skill to shine that fast.
I know of a lot of people who can barely do it WITH the branch.

FastFox

BRoomer
I can't answer any of these questions because you use Y to multi-shine. I use the control stick.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
The branch gives you a lot longer to shine before leaving the ground. You just have to do it faster. Practice it on the ground and eventually you'll get it.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I don't think I'm pressing it TOO fast.
I've seen perfect shines, and even with me on the tree, I can't go THAT fast.

No, I think I'm a tad too slow.
But the thing is that I'm going from Y->B, and I'm JUST pushing Y and then B and so on.
And yet Fox DJs out of the shine.
Maybe I'm lingering on Y too long.
>_<
I got 4 grounded shines.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Practice doing three grounded shines consistently, and also do this against someone's shield. That is all you will ever need, because if the shine didn't stab by the third one, you should just jc grab and combo from there anyways.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Practice doing three grounded shines consistently, and also do this against someone's shield. That is all you will ever need, because if the shine didn't stab by the third one, you should just jc grab and combo from there anyways.
I completely understand that all I need is 3 or so.
But the thing is, I can get the kill just fine.
I want to be able to do something after the kill.
Previously, I've been doing SHFFL shines, but that just doesn't cut it.
I'm trying to do something different end more difficult.

And all I do get is three/ four grounded shines.
I go as fast as my hands will let me, and it's just not enough apparently.
Yet when I see other people, they're slower than I am, some WAY slower.
I understand the slow method.
I've gotten 20 shines that way.
But when it's done at my video's speed, I can't see where I'm going wrong.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I don't mod this thread but I fail to see the point in it?
As do I, Kevin, as do I.

Multi-shines are cool. But discussing how you personally show off in between stocks and how we can help you do that... *shrug*

You can do them better than I can. So when you need to, use it on a shield, then pressure from there and stuff.

PCHU

Smash Lord
As do I, Kevin, as do I.

Multi-shines are cool. But discussing how you personally show off in between stocks and how we can help you do that... *shrug*

You can do them better than I can. So when you need to, use it on a shield, then pressure from there and stuff.
Ah, alright.
Go ahead and close this if you feel like it, I don't really mind.
I don't see the point in keeping it up anyways :ohwell:

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
No offense, but there is only so much advice we can give pertaining to multi-shines. I understand that the technique requires you to hit Y+B in succession at ungodly speeds. It also requires the player to have at least a partial grasp of the timing when JCing the shine into another shine. Beyond that, its something along the lines of "mash it quickzor and hope it worksies".

Focus on tournament viable techniques and try working on those instead. While multi-shining is indeed useful when pressuring an opponent's shield, it falls flat on its face when you compare it to Fox's other options. Why not shine->grab? Or waveshine backwards to bait then counter-attack. Once you manage to multishine through their shield, will you really be able to react fast enough and WD out then follow them? Chances are you'll be so amazed at how cool it was, that you'll forget about how punishing your opponent once their defenses have been breached is the next, most crucial step.

While I love how awesome doing it 20 times is, the reality is that it isn't smart to do in REAL smash play. I'm not saying that its wrong that you made this thread to talk about its less serious purposes (i.e. being flashy and ostentatious); but I am saying that having half the boards delve into a discussion about how fast your thumb is...well, you get the point.

What I'd really like to see is some videos of your playing versus some other players. It would be entertaining to see how your fast thumbs aid you when another player is breathing down your neck. ;)

Sorry to have hijacked your thread for this, btw. haha

PB&J

Smash Hero
so much hate in this thread..smashers are pissing me off these days..i thought the vid was good..keep it up..u can try doing this on fox or falco on stadium in the pit it ***** just dont mess up...good stuff again dont listen to the other post

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
hey i enjoyed the vid, and i never knew it was easier to do on the branches, so it's new to me. i almost never play onett but could be fun to show off haha.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
There are alot of pointless things you can do in this game, and i don't see what is so wrong in wanting to learn how to do them.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Thanks guys, but the others DO have a point.
Though, it'd be nice if they could take the video for what it is rather than its function.

I found out I can go even faster now.
At this rate, I'm going to be doing near-perfect shines in a few months.

To RaynEX:

Ok, I understand.
Though I don't really see how it's my fault that "half the boards delved into my thread".
Their fault for clicking :ohwell:

I really, REALLY want to upload videos of fights, but there are not tourneys ANYWHERE within the range that my parents are willing to drive.
And all of my friends suck.
I wish I could say otherwise, but none of them are anywhere near good enough to make a match truly intense.
Well, ANY match with Kirby is going to be dull unless Kirby is pulling off insane combos.

In short, this is what I can do now, I'll upload 'worthy' stuff when my friends get better.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
There are alot of pointless things you can do in this game, and i don't see what is so wrong in wanting to learn how to do them.
I didn't post anywhere that I thought it was wrong. I was simply giving him my opinion. If you want to get better you practice a bunch of different ****. He can make any thread he wants about w/e he wants to talk about.

Thanks guys, but the others DO have a point.
Though, it'd be nice if they could take the video for what it is rather than its function.

I found out I can go even faster now.
At this rate, I'm going to be doing near-perfect shines in a few months.

To RaynEX:

Ok, I understand.
Though I don't really see how it's my fault that "half the boards delved into my thread".
Their fault for clicking :ohwell:
I never said it was your fault. All I meant to say was "cool multi-shines, I can't do them nearly that fast. Seeing as you have some **** good tech skill, you should maybe try to learn some other things to broaden your horizons."

or something like that. It was just some advice.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
It can be - theroretically - useful in a match, considering that (if done frameperfectly) there are only two frames over a 19-frame cycle in which they can escape. At your speed, there are probably two sets of 4 frames in which they can escape, which isn't enough time to bring out most moves. From there you would just shine them, since they would be forced to let go of their sheild, and you would start comboing. However, moving your hands in that way during a match is impractical, and it would be far better to spend time learning how to get grabs instead. It's interesting, but for your own good as a player you should probably forget about it and learn other stuff.

EDIT: Looks like RaynEX basically said what I was going to. Put that tech skill to use and get better at some more applicable techniques, and it'll give you a great head start. The time you spend perfecting this one will only slow you down, ultimately.

On that note, good job. It was interesting.

PCHU

Smash Lord
It can be - theroretically - useful in a match, considering that (if done frameperfectly) there are only two frames over a 19-frame cycle in which they can escape. At your speed, there are probably two sets of 4 frames in which they can escape, which isn't enough time to bring out most moves. From there you would just shine them, since they would be forced to let go of their sheild, and you would start comboing. However, moving your hands in that way during a match is impractical, and it would be far better to spend time learning how to get grabs instead. It's interesting, but for your own good as a player you should probably forget about it and learn other stuff.

EDIT: Looks like RaynEX basically said what I was going to. Put that tech skill to use and get better at some more applicable techniques, and it'll give you a great head start. The time you spend perfecting this one will only slow you down, ultimately.

On that note, good job. It was interesting.
Okay.

Good news, I can actually multishine decently on the ground.

I don't really use multishining in the actual match at all, since I've only fought CPUs.
I freaked out in the previous pages because I was obsessed over the tech and was rather upset that people barely commented on the video in and of itself.
But now, I really don't care, because after looking at other multishines, it kinda puts mine to shame.

I've been working on efficient combos and mindgames (which is difficult to do because CPUs rarely hold their shields), but I've found a way of "practice" in multishining as well, and that's by doing it after a kill.

My record is 15.

Meneks

Smash Lord
Okay.

Good news, I can actually multishine decently on the ground.

I don't really use multishining in the actual match at all, since I've only fought CPUs.
I freaked out in the previous pages because I was obsessed over the tech and was rather upset that people barely commented on the video in and of itself.
But now, I really don't care, because after looking at other multishines, it kinda puts mine to shame.

I've been working on efficient combos and mindgames (which is difficult to do because CPUs rarely hold their shields), but I've found a way of "practice" in multishining as well, and that's by doing it after a kill.

My record is 15.
Honestly you can't really work on mind games on a cpu simply because of the fact that they dont have a mind?

I also think that playing a cpu ****s up your skills.. I remember a while back like last year i played lvl 9 cpus alot and when i went to play against some of my friends i was HORRIBLE...but then i started playing lvl 1's and for some reason that helped with my consistancy.. multishines really ARE cool but you should learn other tech stuff that will help you in the long run (i.e edgecancels edge guard techniques pivot wave shine tactics and shine jc grab and usmash)

PCHU

Smash Lord
Honestly you can't really work on mind games on a cpu simply because of the fact that they dont have a mind?

I also think that playing a cpu ****s up your skills.. I remember a while back like last year i played lvl 9 cpus alot and when i went to play against some of my friends i was HORRIBLE...but then i started playing lvl 1's and for some reason that helped with my consistancy.. multishines really ARE cool but you should learn other tech stuff that will help you in the long run (i.e edgecancels edge guard techniques pivot wave shine tactics and shine jc grab and usmash)
>_>
What am I supposed to do?
My only opponent is a KIRBY.
And I only fight him on Wednesdays.

Lv. 1s freak me out, they just sit there.........staring.....
And then they attack thin air.
They belong in an asylum; I'm serious.

But yeah, I'll take your word and try it out.

Busted my record.
36 in a row.

foxmarth101

Smash Rookie
Actually, my thumb speed is the same.
I just don't see why I end up DJing out of it after the second shine.

It was literally just yesterday when I realized I could do this on the tree.
I knew I was fast, but the second I tried it on the tree, I was like "LAWLZ that's quick."
And then, I was like "I wonder long I can keep this up."

I'm quick in all places, but, I'm not as efficient in others.
why do you write this one every single post
My name is PCHU (Pichu).
I am only a 14-year-old, but I am quite logical and skilled at smash.
I'm trying my best to prove that I am indeed the best Jackson, TN has ever seen.
I'm also a Touhou fan, and my favorite characters are Mokou, Ran, and Yuyuko.

Brawl Mains: Wolf, Marth, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Fox, Olimar

PCHU

Smash Lord
why do you write this one every single post
My name is PCHU (Pichu).
I am only a 14-year-old, but I am quite logical and skilled at smash.
I'm trying my best to prove that I am indeed the best Jackson, TN has ever seen.
I'm also a Touhou fan, and my favorite characters are Mokou, Ran, and Yuyuko.

Brawl Mains: Wolf, Marth, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Fox, Olimar
It's called a signature.
>_>

Top Bottom