• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox is the new Captain Falcon

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
In melee you had Captain Falcon. He was fast, could combo and gimp well, and every time he landed a hit on a fast faller, you would watch and hope for that long tech chase combo that would lead to death. When the CF player lands that first hit, the thought going through his mind isn't "how can I do a lot of damage?", it's "how can I keep this combo going on long enough to kill this ****er?"

I think it's safe to say that a fair amount has changed from Melee to Brawl. There's less hit stun which makes tech chase combos rarely occur. And the air dodge mechanic has been changed which makes wave dashing a little difficult. However, with Brawl's new air dodge mechanic, your fall pattern is much more predictable and it allows a player to read another without tech chasing. It is also drastically harder to get back on the stage when you're hanging from the ledge.

With fox's speed, walk, grab, and usmash, Fox can essentially "air tech chase" many characters repeatedly. And against many characters, we need to stop focusing on, how can we do the most damage from a combo, and start focusing on, how can we get the other character in the air once and kill him from it.

Walking is the new wave dashing. Without walking, it'll be impossible to 0-death anyone without prediction, and the goal here is to set up a plan of how to position and react to each situation in way that leads to death. So as a character board, we need to start coming up with these plans of attack, and start learning how to set ourselves up in situations that allow us to read every option possible. And we need to start getting into the mindset of trying to get that kill from any given combo start up move.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
This isn't a playstyle, so much as a means for following up a hit. If it were a playstyle, it'd have a strategy for landing the first hit, but this doesn't. What this is, is the best way to do the most with each hit.

RPK

Smash Lord
I will say this...Uair, Fair, and Dair are teh secks x3 Uair and Fair are sooo good when it comes to juggling. Then Dair is good for chasing down after then if they air dodge. Mostly because its easy to catch them if they try air dodging through you. Then after that it can easily go into a grab, and then back into the air. Its really nice.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I've said this about the second month playing Brawl when I realized Fox wasn't melee Fox.

I had different reasons why I thought Fox was Falcon, but I just wanted to point out that I thought the same thing.

=3

lulzluzlzluzluzluzluluz!

win_ftw

Smash Cadet
very true, very true. i love walking. except with diddy, but thats aside the point.

ive realized that if you can kinda mindgame the opponent into thinking a u or fair is coming, theyll airdodge, and fox's delightfully fastfastfall is quite condusive to landing that miraculous 'combo' starter, dair.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Lool, Fox dun hav a nee r pawnch.

Nah, I'm trolling. This is an aight idea, too bad walking doesn't look sexy, like most Fox things do.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Obviously someone wanted Captain Falcon's awesomeness out of the picture and replaced him with a silly busboy for Brawl.

Fox may be like the new Captain Falcon, but I say that's compared to the rest of Brawl. Taste the knee in melee. It's different than Fox.

Knuckles_Fan

Smash Rookie
I used Falcon quite regularly in Melee. I use Fox more frequently in Brawl, so there is logic behind what you're saying. Still, Captain Falcon doesn't seem all that different in Brawl from Melee, at least in my opinion.

Top Bottom