• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the Love of Books!: Looking for a good read?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Neil Gaiman did a lot. He wrote Coraline, and American Gods for one. These are really well-received books. He is also famous for The Sandman. Check him out.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Well, if he is as good as everyone is saying then I'll...

vote: Neverwhere

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I haven't checked, but I'm sure you could get it from the library. Don't tell me that there are no libraries in Miami, Zero. :p

EDIT: Just a reminder, this is the last day to vote.

Smash Journeyman
Vote = One More Day by Mitch Albom. Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to post the synopsis of the books on the voting list?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Vote = One More Day by Mitch Albom. Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to post the synopsis of the books on the voting list?
Definitely, I'll do that for next time.

So we should go out and buy the book? ;)
If you want. Of course, if anyone is short on cash, other options are borrowing it from a friend, or getting it from the library. I checked it out at work, and I found a copy of the book for about $10CDN, so it shouldn't break the bank if you wanted to buy your own.

The book for the month of August is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think I'll just pick up 1984 this time around and join September.

Hope it goes well, Lyth.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Yay I have another reason to re-read Neverwhere!
Oh, I do hope my leeched wi-fi is stable through the week and lets me discuss it with you all.

Smash Journeyman
Dang it! This book wasn't available at my library. The only copy was taken and is due by the 13th.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
How long do we have to read this?
You have until the 14th or 15th of the month until discussion begins. If you're a speed reader and you want to start discussing early, you can, but you absolutely must use spoiler tags. Or you're out of the club. :mad:

Happy reading!

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Well no i will actaully be doing the opposite, I will be speed reading. But will be starting late.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I'm not the speediest of readers, but reading this will give me more time to spend to myself (and better yet, off the computer :laugh:).

The only copy I can find (which is at the library) is checked out until tomorrow. Unless the person who checked it out is a lazy ***, I'll get it soon.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Some time down the track, instead of books, we could discuss song lyrics?

Leonard Cohen- Hallelujah is packed with metaphors and what not.

"Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah"

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
well I'm done if anyone wants to start discussing.

I have a question too (spoilers)

Did it ever explain why Hunter couldn't go above ground that one time or did that never come up again in the book?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Some time down the track, instead of books, we could discuss song lyrics?
Probably not, considering that this is a book discussion. Even poetry is stretch for something like this. (Plus, I spent the better part of the previous school year studying Romanticism in poetry, so I'm a little burned out.) But hey, if you wanted to start a thread on song lyrics discussion, that sounds pretty interesting. :)

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
You have until the 14th or 15th of the month until discussion begins. If you're a speed reader and you want to start discussing early, you can, but you absolutely must use spoiler tags. Or you're out of the club. :mad:

Happy reading!
My library is closed till the 10th due to inventory check, I'll be sure to speed read so I can finish before the deadline.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I sincerely hope with all due respect that you were joking here.

Otherwise, no. Please, no.
Probably not, considering that this is a book discussion. Even poetry is stretch for something like this. (Plus, I spent the better part of the previous school year studying Romanticism in poetry, so I'm a little burned out.) But hey, if you wanted to start a thread on song lyrics discussion, that sounds pretty interesting. :)
LOL fair enough, maybe as a separate thread.

Was thinking more poeople may contribute if they didn't have to buy/order the book and the text was in the thread, w/e :laugh:

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Finally got my hands on a copy!

It might take a bit of speed-reading (I am also easily distracted :ohwell:), but I expect to be finished by the deadline. Maybe the 16th, if not. :)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I finished today! I loved the book and I look forward to the discussion! Im starting on the 16th whether you are all done or not!! :D

Top Bottom