For Smash 6, Would You Rather The Roster Focus On...?

For Smash 6, Would You Rather The Roster Focus On...?

• Accurately Representing The Franchises In Smash

Votes: 49 32.9%
  • Diversifying the Characters Represented within franchises

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • A more balanced franchise representation

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • More fun movesets that use Nintendo/3rd Party Characters as a basis

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Adding more fan-requested characters

Votes: 56 37.6%
  • Adding more obscure characters

Votes: 42 28.2%
  • Adding more recent characters

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Adding more legacy characters

Votes: 33 22.1%

• Total voters

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
smash 6 can only defeat smash ultimate if they have a just as big character roster or bigger!
lets be honest..cutting half of the roster or more won't do it when we have a game that has EVERYTHING
and if they decide to cut half..they need to replace all those characters,
i think a smaller smash game won't satisfy anyone from now on :l

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Journeyman
Define "balanced." What roster would be balanced in your opinion? How would you balance the amount of representation in each series? Is there a ratio you would use to determine this? At least provide some sort of a description.
When I describe it as balanced, I'm talking about having equal playable characters, stages, assist trophies, spirits etc.

Oddball

Smash Ace
When I describe it as balanced, I'm talking about having equal playable characters, stages, assist trophies, spirits etc.
That's a horrible idea.

Trying to make a franchise like Mario that has a gazillion games, stages, enemies, characters, and powerups equal with something like Duck Hunt, which literally has two characters at the most in the game would either lead to you seriously holding back the marios or inflating the Duck Hunt representation to absurd levels.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
GRimer
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
NNID
OpossumGuy
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's a horrible idea.

Trying to make a franchise like Mario that has a gazillion games, stages, enemies, characters, and powerups equal with something like Duck Hunt, which literally has two characters at the most in the game would either lead to you seriously holding back the marios or inflating the Duck Hunt representation to absurd levels.
How dare you. The Tree on the Left would be an amazing addition to the roster. :p

LightKnight

Smash Apprentice
Whats most important to me is moveset diversity so I'd be looking at which characters are popular or fan requested and see if they can fulfill that mantra. If I think there is a more obscure character that would have an entirely unique moveset that some people would finally be able to 'express' themselves with then I'd consider that too. Even if they were from a franchise already with a lot of reps.

osby

Smash Legend
I'd rather have the next Smash prioritizing new franchises and games, because Ultimate really did a poor job on that front.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
GRimer
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
NNID
OpossumGuy
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd rather have the next Smash prioritizing new franchises and games, because Ultimate really did a poor job on that front.
I'm not sure if I agree, but I think that depends on what you'd consider new. Personally I like to divide it up by decade.

80s: :ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultken::ultpiranha: plus Erdrick.
90s: :ultrichter::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: plus Solo.
00s: :ultdarksamus: plus Eight.
10s: :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultjoker: plus :ulthero:.

3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Going with:

1. More recent characters being added to the roster... I enjoy legacy characters but... I think it’s better to prioritize newer games getting in to make it feel like this generation of smash represents this era of gaming.

2. More fan requested characters being added in... I know what I said above but people that have been through multiple generations of smash requesting and hoping for their character to get in deserve it. They buy the games, DLC and keep the games alive even decades after it comes out.

3. Diversification of characters already represented. To me at least each character should feel unique and not make you think that you or anyone watching you play think that you’re just playing a re-skin or clone with a 1 or 2 different attributes.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Umm I would make some exceptions, such as the Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt.
Please provide a list of those exceptions. I'd like to know what counts and doesn't count as deserving to be included in this balanced roster of yours and who gets exceptions.

Because if they really, really wanted to stretch it they could make Nana and Popo separate fighters and include the dino-thingy they ride on and up the fighter count to 3.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
GRimer
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
NNID
OpossumGuy
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Please provide a list of those exceptions. I'd like to know what counts and doesn't count as deserving to be included in this balanced roster of yours and who gets exceptions.

Because if they really, really wanted to stretch it they could make Nana and Popo separate fighters and include the dino-thingy they ride on and up the fighter count to 3.
I mean if you REALLY wanted to stretch it...

Popo
Nana
Condor
Polar Bear
Japanese Topi
International Topi
Nitpicker
The Bee that's only in the VS Ice Climber arcade game

There. That's every sentient being in the entire franchise. :p

I'm not sure if I agree, but I think that depends on what you'd consider new. Personally I like to divide it up by decade.

80s: :ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultken::ultpiranha: plus Erdrick.
90s: :ultrichter::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: plus Solo.
00s: :ultdarksamus: plus Eight.
10s: :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultjoker: plus :ulthero:.
Hey, that's pretty neat that Hero covers four whole decades. Leaving aside even Dragon Quests massive popularity in Japan that alone kinda makes it worth it for me.

Personally for newcomers next time round I'd like it to focus on characters that had big roles during the cycle of the Switch....and the Wii U since compared to previous Smashes we did skip that period quite a lot. 4 was Wii stars a plenty and I feel there's plenty of newcomer potential amongst that lot.

Doesn't neccesarily have to be a debut, as I feel Dixie Kong returning in Tropical Freeze is enough to warrant her inclusion for example and Springman should probably make the leap to playable next time too. Feels a bit weird seeing him included as an assist if I'm honest.
Either Elma or Rex/Pyra also feel kind of overlooked especially with Xeno's relative success, Kirby Star Allies gave us a whole heap of revivals for Kirby characters(apart from Prince Fluff and Dark Matter RIP) and as always I am pushing my desire to get a gosh darn honest to goodness genuinely fully playable Toad in this game already and the Captain is a great choice for that.