• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Smash 6, Would You Rather The Roster Focus On...?

For Smash 6, Would You Rather The Roster Focus On...?

• Accurately Representing The Franchises In Smash

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • Diversifying the Characters Represented within franchises

Votes: 55 32.7%
  • A more balanced franchise representation

Votes: 41 24.4%
  • More fun movesets that use Nintendo/3rd Party Characters as a basis

Votes: 42 25.0%
  • Adding more fan-requested characters

Votes: 62 36.9%
  • Adding more obscure characters

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • Adding more recent characters

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Adding more legacy characters

Votes: 38 22.6%

• Total voters

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
smash 6 can only defeat smash ultimate if they have a just as big character roster or bigger!
lets be honest..cutting half of the roster or more won't do it when we have a game that has EVERYTHING
and if they decide to cut half..they need to replace all those characters,
i think a smaller smash game won't satisfy anyone from now on :l

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Define "balanced." What roster would be balanced in your opinion? How would you balance the amount of representation in each series? Is there a ratio you would use to determine this? At least provide some sort of a description.
When I describe it as balanced, I'm talking about having equal playable characters, stages, assist trophies, spirits etc.

Oddball

Smash Lord
When I describe it as balanced, I'm talking about having equal playable characters, stages, assist trophies, spirits etc.
That's a horrible idea.

Trying to make a franchise like Mario that has a gazillion games, stages, enemies, characters, and powerups equal with something like Duck Hunt, which literally has two characters at the most in the game would either lead to you seriously holding back the marios or inflating the Duck Hunt representation to absurd levels.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's a horrible idea.

Trying to make a franchise like Mario that has a gazillion games, stages, enemies, characters, and powerups equal with something like Duck Hunt, which literally has two characters at the most in the game would either lead to you seriously holding back the marios or inflating the Duck Hunt representation to absurd levels.
How dare you. The Tree on the Left would be an amazing addition to the roster. :p

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Whats most important to me is moveset diversity so I'd be looking at which characters are popular or fan requested and see if they can fulfill that mantra. If I think there is a more obscure character that would have an entirely unique moveset that some people would finally be able to 'express' themselves with then I'd consider that too. Even if they were from a franchise already with a lot of reps.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd rather have the next Smash prioritizing new franchises and games, because Ultimate really did a poor job on that front.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd rather have the next Smash prioritizing new franchises and games, because Ultimate really did a poor job on that front.
I'm not sure if I agree, but I think that depends on what you'd consider new. Personally I like to divide it up by decade.

80s: :ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultken::ultpiranha: plus Erdrick.
90s: :ultrichter::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: plus Solo.
00s: :ultdarksamus: plus Eight.
10s: :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultjoker: plus :ulthero:.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Going with:

1. More recent characters being added to the roster... I enjoy legacy characters but... I think it’s better to prioritize newer games getting in to make it feel like this generation of smash represents this era of gaming.

2. More fan requested characters being added in... I know what I said above but people that have been through multiple generations of smash requesting and hoping for their character to get in deserve it. They buy the games, DLC and keep the games alive even decades after it comes out.

3. Diversification of characters already represented. To me at least each character should feel unique and not make you think that you or anyone watching you play think that you’re just playing a re-skin or clone with a 1 or 2 different attributes.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So that means every series has the exact same amount of fighters?

Well, guess everyone only gets one fighter to choose from them due to Ice Climbers.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Umm I would make some exceptions, such as the Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt.
Please provide a list of those exceptions. I'd like to know what counts and doesn't count as deserving to be included in this balanced roster of yours and who gets exceptions.

Because if they really, really wanted to stretch it they could make Nana and Popo separate fighters and include the dino-thingy they ride on and up the fighter count to 3.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Please provide a list of those exceptions. I'd like to know what counts and doesn't count as deserving to be included in this balanced roster of yours and who gets exceptions.

Because if they really, really wanted to stretch it they could make Nana and Popo separate fighters and include the dino-thingy they ride on and up the fighter count to 3.
I mean if you REALLY wanted to stretch it...

Popo
Nana
Condor
Polar Bear
Japanese Topi
International Topi
Nitpicker
The Bee that's only in the VS Ice Climber arcade game

There. That's every sentient being in the entire franchise. :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if I agree, but I think that depends on what you'd consider new. Personally I like to divide it up by decade.

80s: :ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultken::ultpiranha: plus Erdrick.
90s: :ultrichter::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: plus Solo.
00s: :ultdarksamus: plus Eight.
10s: :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultjoker: plus :ulthero:.
Hey, that's pretty neat that Hero covers four whole decades. Leaving aside even Dragon Quests massive popularity in Japan that alone kinda makes it worth it for me.

Personally for newcomers next time round I'd like it to focus on characters that had big roles during the cycle of the Switch....and the Wii U since compared to previous Smashes we did skip that period quite a lot. 4 was Wii stars a plenty and I feel there's plenty of newcomer potential amongst that lot.

Doesn't neccesarily have to be a debut, as I feel Dixie Kong returning in Tropical Freeze is enough to warrant her inclusion for example and Springman should probably make the leap to playable next time too. Feels a bit weird seeing him included as an assist if I'm honest.
Either Elma or Rex/Pyra also feel kind of overlooked especially with Xeno's relative success, Kirby Star Allies gave us a whole heap of revivals for Kirby characters(apart from Prince Fluff and Dark Matter RIP) and as always I am pushing my desire to get a gosh darn honest to goodness genuinely fully playable Toad in this game already and the Captain is a great choice for that.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
For Smash 6 I would love to have more essential characters, such as Waluigi, Geno, Bomberman, Shadow, Tails, etc.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I'm not sure if I agree, but I think that depends on what you'd consider new
if i may, i think Osby meant more that most of the new characters this time around come from previously repped series
if it wasn't for DLC, Ultimate would only have 2 new series with characters, Splatoon and Castlevania

i'm also hoping for more variety in which series comes in, to better illustrate Smash being a giant company museum in fighting game form
of course I still have other characters from series we already have in game, and moveset/gameplay potential should still come equally, but most of my top picks already are mostly from games that have yet to get "bigger" representation beyond a stage or some music, maybe a spirit at best

so tldr i hope the next game after ultimate is more wide sweeping on what games they pull from, rather than just grabbing from the barrels they already have loaded up

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
There haven't been that many blooming new franchises from Nintendo in recent years apart from Splatoon and ARMS which are the only ones I can think off right now, so I don't know what would some of you expect by having better representation. Adding to that, at 75 something characters into the fifth game in the series, it starts becoming increasingly difficult to add more fighters without scratching the bottom of the barrel. We could add someone like Mach Rider or Ballon Fighter to fulfill that quota, but the question would beg if it's worth the effort, which is up to Nintendo and the developers to decide.

DLC definitely counts towards making the game more inclusive of other franchises though. In Smash 4, three characters were veterans and one newcomer was from an existing series, thus leaving only Cloud, Bayonetta and Ryu. But in Ultimate, every DLC is brand new and that makes the purchase more worthwhile.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
41 fighters from Ultimate (plus the 7 Koopalings) are the few I care for or like how they play in Smash. So as long as none of
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultpiranha::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultfalcon::ultness::ultlucas::ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultsimon::ultbanjokazooie:
get downgraded, cut, or have their moveset butchered (improving them is of course another story), they can do whatever they want with the roster and I'll be happy.

I'd prefer future newcomers at least be characters that can bring genuinely new mechanics or movement properties that haven't been explored yet by any of the current characters. I mean more stuff like Ryu facing his opponent in 1v1 and bringing inputs straight from Street Fighter.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
While I absolutely love the third party appreciation with the newcomers and DLC, if the next Smash focused a bit more on first parties I would be happier. Don't get me wrong, I love guest fighters and surprises and I would be head over heels for Crash or Master Chief, there are still many first party characters I'm hoping to see in Smash. There's something about getting a newcomer that's from one of Nintendo's own games that has a different feeling than a third party guest. It's hard to put into words.

It's kind of annoying when people say "There are no more exciting first part characters left to add" or "They're soon going to hit the bottom of the barrel with first parties" since there are easily several dozen major first party characters from across Nintendo's history they could choose. Obviously they might not be exciting or relevant to everyone, but it's pointless to say that Nintendo's first party lineup no longer has much to offer. I highly doubt anyone who has made that argument has played every single first party Nintendo game and come to that conclusion on their own.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
While I absolutely love the third party appreciation with the newcomers and DLC, if the next Smash focused a bit more on first parties I would be happier. Don't get me wrong, I love guest fighters and surprises and I would be head over heels for Crash or Master Chief, there are still many first party characters I'm hoping to see in Smash. There's something about getting a newcomer that's from one of Nintendo's own games that has a different feeling than a third party guest. It's hard to put into words.

It's kind of annoying when people say "There are no more exciting first part characters left to add" or "They're soon going to hit the bottom of the barrel with first parties" since there are easily several dozen major first party characters from across Nintendo's history they could choose. Obviously they might not be exciting or relevant to everyone, but it's pointless to say that Nintendo's first party lineup no longer has much to offer. I highly doubt anyone who has made that argument has played every single first party Nintendo game and come to that conclusion on their own.
I also think we should add both more essential first and third party playable characters, such as Bomberman, Kyo (king of fighters), Reimu (touhou), Bill Rizer, Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins), Sora, Ryu Hayabusa, etc. In addition, we should also start having better assist trophy choices for both 1st and 3rd party.

I would love to keep every playable character, except for Joker/Ren and Piranha Plant, who I want to see demoted to assist trophies in the next smash. And I would also want the protagonist from Persona 6 to be added as an assist trophy in Smash 6. Instead of relegating Joker/Ren to an assist trophy, we could just remove him from the roster, and demote him to a mii costume.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I also think we should add both more essential first and third party playable characters, such as Bomberman, Kyo (king of fighters), Reimu (touhou), Bill Rizer, Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins), Sora, Ryu Hayabusa, etc. In addition, we should also start having better assist trophy choices for both 1st and 3rd party.
Define "essential," because I don't give a rat's flying rump about any of those characters and I'd much rather not see any of them in the game if I had the choice between them and another character like Bandana Dee or Master Chief.
I would love to keep every playable character, except for Joker/Ren and Piranha Plant, who I want to see demoted to assist trophies in the next smash. And I would also want the protagonist from Persona 6 to be added as an assist trophy in Smash 6. Instead of relegating Joker/Ren to an assist trophy, we could just remove him from the roster, and demote him to a mii costume.
You've brought up your bias against Joker a hundred times before and it's completely uncalled for in this thread. You've made a point that you don't like the fact that Persona has content in the game but that is totally unrelated to both what I posted and the topic of this thread--it's completely non sequitur. I think I speak for everyone here: in the words of Jim Carey in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, nobody cares!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Define "essential," because I don't give a rat's flying rump about any of those characters and I'd much rather not see any of them in the game if I had the choice between them and another character like Bandana Dee or Master Chief.
When i say essential, I mean more like more suitable playable characters, such as Waluigi, Geno, Bomberman, Toad, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. I also think Badana Dee would be great too!

You've brought up your bias against Joker a hundred times before and it's completely uncalled for in this thread. You've made a point that you don't like the fact that Persona has content in the game.
I understand, but actually for the last time, I still wanted Persona to be represented, but with only mii costumes, assist trophies, spirits, and no playable characters. That's it. I'm done with this.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
The core gameplay is fine for me, and about the roster, it is pretty easy to not disappoint me. If some characters need to go I'm fine, as long as they keep bringing new cool characters. I'm in a point that more characters will add nothing to the game for me, so I care more about game modes and better online.

What I really want is a focus on online multiplayer, with decent options, ranked system, and dedicated servers, and a proper campaign that must be more than simple quick battles.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
When i say essential, I mean more like more suitable playable characters, such as Waluigi, Geno, Bomberman, Toad, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. I also think Badana Dee would be great too!
That's not essential. And define "suitable". Wait I'll do it for you.

Suitable: According to your wants and needs with no regards of objectivity. Suitable!

And who wants Persona content but not the character? That makes no sense. If they were able to get their hands on Joker, there is no good reason to cut him out and limit the content to costumes and assists.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
That's not essential. And define "suitable". Wait I'll do it for you.

Suitable: According to your wants and needs with no regards of objectivity. Suitable!
Could you please define suitable for me?

And who wants Persona content but not the character? That makes no sense. If they were able to get their hands on Joker, there is no good reason to cut him out and limit the content to costumes and assists.
I've already explained why I want Persona to have content without any playable characters dozens of times. Well, Snake was removed from the roster in Smash 4, and so far Virtura Fighter has only had 2 mii costumes in Smash 4. Akira was later promoted to assist in Ultimate. So I think the same could happen for Persona in Smash 6, all Persona mii costumes return, with the addition of the Persona 6 protagonist as a new assist trophy and a mii costume. But Joker/Ren would be removed, but he gets a mii costume in return.

An analogy is if someone didn't want Daisy to be playable, it would make sense for him or her to want Daisy to be relegated to an assist trophy, mii costume, and a spirit. But I'm glad that Daisy is playable.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Light Flaming Warning
I've already explained why I want Persona to have content without any playable characters dozens of times. Well, Snake was removed from the roster in Smash 4, and so far Virtura Fighter has only had 2 mii costumes in Smash 4. Akira was later promoted to assist in Ultimate.
Uhh, pretty sure Snake was removed from Smash 4 because they didn't have enough time to include him in the game (that or they didn't get permission). That's a completely different reason than what you're suggesting--removing Joker out of your pure personal bias against the character. Not to mention that Persona, Metal Gear, and Virtual Fighter are owned by separate companies and have nothing to do with one another. You haven't actually provided a sensible reason as to why they should remove Joker from the roster, or any reason that would be beneficial to the game.

How about this: If they downgraded Sonic to an assist trophy instead of a fighter, how would you feel? Your argument is that they could remove Joker from the roster, therefore they should. They could also remove Sonic from the roster as well--after all, nowhere is it written that Sonic is either essential nor suitable to be in the playable roster. If they removed both Joker and Sonic from the roster, would that sound logical to you?
An analogy is if someone didn't want Daisy to be playable, it would make sense for him or her to want Daisy to be relegated to an assist trophy, mii costume, and a spirit. But I'm glad that Daisy is playable.
That's a terrible analogy, at least on your part, since it further proves your bias against Joker. Your logic here is that if someone simply doesn't want Daisy to be in the game, it would make sense for them to desire her to be downgraded. And since you clearly want Joker to not be a fighter, without providing any real reason to, your own logic leads me to conclude that the only reason you want Joker out of the game is because of a personal grudge and/or bias against the character.
Let's also bring up your former comparisons of Joker to Bomberman: How you constantly brought up how Bomberman is more "iconic" than Joker is and that Bomberman should have gotten in instead of him. You know what? Here's what I think: You obviously wanted Bomberman, or some other character you keep bringing up like Tails or Knuckles, to be part of the DLC pack, despite Reggie's comments at TGA 2018 about all the newcomers. When Joker was revealed, you were disappointed that it wasn't one of your wanted characters and blamed Joker as the reason they weren't included.

The reason I say this is because I and so many others are guilty of using that logic as well. I remember blaming Corrin for the reason Bandana Dee wasn't in the game and took my frustration out on the fans, the devs, and Fire Emblem itself. It was a period I seriously regret going through, and now that I'm through it it's pretty easy to recognize when someone else is. You brought up characters you feel are "essential newcomers" in the game, then proceeded to once again prosecute Joker as a character that wouldn't belong in the next Smash roster and should be replaced by one of your own most wanteds. You make it sound as if the characters have a right to be in the game over Joker and that it's Joker's fault they aren't in.

But what makes me want to conclude my thesis is that every time someone criticizes you on this and bring up counter arguments that are actually reasonable, you refrain from having an actual discussion and instead circle around the topic. Every time someone accuses you of being biased against Joker you come out saying you used "senses and logic" to determine that Joker doesn't deserve to be in Smash over Bomberman or whoever else you want in the game without actually explaining why or how you came to that conclusion. It's as if every reason you point to as to why Joker should be replaced by your most wanteds is based on a fan rule or nothing at all. You never actually defend yourself and simply defer to circling back to your original stipulation that Joker simply doesn't deserve to be playable, and I'm almost 100% certain this is because there's no argument to defend at all. Each time you bring up your prosecution of Joker it seems more and more like you simply hold a personal grudge or bias against the character.

In this thread and countless more that you've either created or butted in, you've brought up your one-man-campaign to get Joker out of the game and replace him with Bomberman. You've brought up Bomberman being more "iconic" and that somehow Joker didn't "deserve" to be in the game. Instead of being happy for the millions of Persona fans across the world who finally got representation in Smash, you always bring this topic up as if we're supposed to feel sad for you or something. And every time you bring it up the thread either gets warned, closed, or otherwise thrown into a nosedive since the discussion simply gets ruined by your nonsense--which almost makes me feel like you're intentionally trolling. So to keep the discussion healthy and not get off topic, I'm going to put this all this in a spoiler.

Who knows--maybe I'm wrong about all of this and I have no right to accuse you of anything. Maybe you genuinely feel like Bomberman is statistically proven to be more iconic than Joker and therefore that's the only thing that matters, and because of that in the next game Bomberman should replace Joker as a fighter. Or maybe since you obviously don't take what other people say into account and constantly bring this up, you're just trolling, since just about everyone has made it clear they don't care about your grudge against Joker.

Regardless, I think it would be for the betterment of this entire board if you simply kept your anti-Joker bias to yourself and whoever actually cares about it. At this point I can go to at least half a dozen threads and find recent or old posts about you trying to make it sound like Joker should not be playable in the next Smash. It's clear that barely anyone actually cares. Word of advice: If you want people to take you seriously, or if you simply want people to not think you're trolling all the time, drop this Joker nonsense. You've made your point that you don't like Joker's inclusion, now move on. It should be obvious now that you're not going to convince someone that Joker is undeserving of Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know, Nier/Drakengard is becoming a big franchise, maybe they should be one of the new big 3rd party characters who isn't on Nintendo consoles prior.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Drop the discussion regarding Joker or move to PMs. It's getting way too personal. https://smashboards.com/account/ignored

Could you please define suitable for me?
"right or appropriate for a particular person, purpose, or situation."

It's basically another word for "personal opinion." Not unlike how the topic of this thread is "Would you rather...?"

For Smash 7, I think we'll just see a return to how things were with previous games. The main goal of this game was the roster, and while I'm sure Sakurai would love to keep all 82 characters in tact going forward, I think he'll instead focus on something else next time with the intent being to bring back/add who he can within reason + DLC. I doubt any roster will have a specific theme as focusing too much on a certain aspect could end up backfiring. Ex. Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite & the MCU.

64 - Pretty much creating a new genre
Melee - Building upon 64's foundation
Brawl - Single Player
3DS - Smash on-the-go
Wii U - 8 Player Smash, Customization, Amiibo, etc.
Ultimate - Roster
??? - ???

Davidk92

Smash Cadet
I want them to focus less on adding characters to series we already have and third parties, and instead add more of Nintendo's other series that, so far, have only been represented through stages, ATs, Trophies and Spirits.

I voted "A more balanced franchise representation" since that seemed the closest to that.

Top Bottom