• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory mode was not made for the competitive community

Hentai_Kittie

Smash Cadet
Actually, I commend this thread. It was something i didn't think we needed, but we needed, and i think alot of progress was made on the whole. You win my applause Acadian.

That said, i will be playing fur fun and for glory teams. I love teams. May start a small tournament the first hour the game releases.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
And you just missed the point entirely. Let me try to make it more clear.
"Who was For Glory designed for?"
"Sakurai made it a 1v1 only mode, therefore it must have be designed with 1v1 players in mind."
The problem is that the initial premise is untrue, and therefore doesn't lead to the conclusion you say it does.
And by the way, I saw Temple played at a tournament only about a week ago.

I know what you're talking about, man. You bring this up in every single thread. However, I daresay that if the game is balanced around FD, that would be a worse reality than BF being the most neutral but For Glory still being FD only. Platforms are a big part of what separates Smash from other fighting games. Stripping that out will only homogenize it, as well as perpetuate the unfortunate No Items Fox only stereotype.
You're overlooking a huge advantage of balancing around FD: "Our" metagame gets pulled with it. Projectiles and defense will be even weaker with other neutral stages in play.

Last I checked, the stereotype was killed by the Smash direct. Since Sakurai basically came out and said that serious matches don't use items, use neutral stages, and welcomed the idea behind playing seriously, the casual community has been much more civil with us. People are now understanding that we want to test our skill without distractions. Yes, they still think we play FD all the time, but they think of us more as equals now then ever before.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
We know it's not. It's probably gonna be a no stock time match too. If you don't like it don't play it.

As for me, I plan send posts out regarding 1 v 1 matches in Smashboards and Miiverse.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I really hope for humanity's sake that you are just really committed to trying to get me to snap and say something bad.
Because there cannot be a human being so dense, self absorbed, blind, and straight up ignorant as you are acting right now.
I just refuse to believe any human being right in their mind would still be arguing on this subject.
I have even admitted to the denotative meaning of the word "competitive" causing contradiction to my post.
But I cannot continue to try and hammer the notion into your god damn mind that DENOTATIVE and CONNOTATIVE are two completely different ****ing meanings of a word.

You literally have not read anything myself or any others in this thread have said.
You continue to stick to the same stupid argument about the literal meaning of the word "competitive" even when I flat out told you technically you are correct.

You continue to get "offended" by accurate generalizations.
How hell can anyone possibly be offended by my definition of a casual player?
Sure competitive players don't literally play 24/7, but they do play a **** load. How else are they supposed to get good at the ****ing game if they don't play a lot of it?
If you are offended by my generalizations, you really have some pretty thin skin for a guy with such a thick skull.

You are literally adding nothing to the discussion by sticking to your one argument you can come up with.

I'll give you this:
You won. When I say "competitive" and you take it as a denotative meaning of the word, sure it contradicts itself.
But if you can agree that as a connotation, which everyone else on this forum took it as, makes sense, then I will know you are a real genuine human being.
Because right now I can't even fathom how someone like you could exist.

You are the worst person I have ever met on the internet.
Because any other sensible person takes the win when the other flat out says "you were right."
But here you are. Still going on about denotative meanings.

You better get used to For Glory mode, because nobody in their right minds would want to be in the same room with you.

There.
You got your ****ing wish.
I finally broke.
You win.
Yikes.

I was this close to reporting you, but I thought it better to just talk with you. I think you're a reasonable young person. You made a solid point, you communicated it effectively despite not using the best words possible, and you made your case. You helped me, at the very least, to cultivate a more concrete opinion on the For Glory mode, because even I had drank a bit too much kool-aid and had started to wonder if For Glory was a failed attempt to appeal to the tournament scene. A lot of people had that as a knee-jerk reaction, so I think it has stuck. I now do not consider that to be true, thanks to you. So thanks.

But I want to impart a word of wisdom to you; maybe a few. First of all, you do not always have to have the last word. I understand that it's easy for me to say, since I didn't have a guy breathing down my neck and arguing with me, but I have been in your shoes many times. I understand that having the same person come at you over and over is very frustrating, but the answer is not vengeance and personal vindication. Let integrity speak for itself; both your own personal integrity, which I hope you will cultivate, and your intellectual integrity, which I feel you have done an admirable job of laying out for most of us. The wise man knows when to let it go. When you decide to cuss and swear the other guy out, that is the point at which you have decided to concede your victory.

I've been in your shoes many times before. I have a couple people on Smashboards on permanent ignore status because I know that arguing with them will just upset me. Some people just know how to get under your skin and don't play fair. I don't feel like Chimera is as bad as all that, but I'm just explaining my experience.

Chimera has even agreed to stop arguing with you, so I don't see the point in going at him any longer. In fact, there are some things he has said that I agree with, and I think he finally has made his case. He wisely decided to let it go. You would do well to do the same.

I had other things I wanted to say, but I think that about sums it up.

Hope you all have a good day today, and every day. There's a lot to be thankful for!

Edit: One last thing. Technically, For Glory was made for people who play Smash 4. That's it! It is a logical progression, the yin to For Fun's yang; it just makes sense for it to exist.

In other words, of course someone like mang0 can play and enjoy For Glory mode. Nothing's stopping him. He's welcome to play it! The point has been, I hope, that it just isn't a mode that mang0 would take seriously. That's where I and others are agreeing that it was not "made for them." Because, while For Glory is made for everyone to use, not every demographic would typically enjoy it. There are also likely to be a lot of casual players who won't like For Glory mode, as well.

Thought it helpful to clarify that.

Last edited:

Hentai_Kittie

Smash Cadet
Yikes.

I was this close to reporting you, but I thought it better to just talk with you. I think you're a reasonable young person. You made a solid point, you communicated it effectively despite not using the best words possible, and you made your case. You helped me, at the very least, to cultivate a more concrete opinion on the For Glory mode, because even I had drank a bit too much kool-aid and had started to wonder if For Glory was a failed attempt to appeal to the tournament scene. A lot of people had that as a knee-jerk reaction, so I think it has stuck. I now do not consider that to be true, thanks to you. So thanks.

But I want to impart a word of wisdom to you; maybe a few. First of all, you do not always have to have the last word. I understand that it's easy for me to say, since I didn't have a guy breathing down my neck and arguing with me, but I have been in your shoes many times. I understand that having the same person come at you over and over is very frustrating, but the answer is not vengeance and personal vindication. Let integrity speak for itself; both your own personal integrity, which I hope you will cultivate, and your intellectual integrity, which I feel you have done an admirable job of laying out for most of us. The wise man knows when to let it go. When you decide to cuss and swear the other guy out, that is the point at which you have decided to concede your victory.

I've been in your shoes many times before. I have a couple people on Smashboards on permanent ignore status because I know that arguing with them will just upset me. Some people just know how to get under your skin and don't play fair. I don't feel like Chimera is as bad as all that, but I'm just explaining my experience.

Chimera has even agreed to stop arguing with you, so I don't see the point in going at him any longer. In fact, there are some things he has said that I agree with, and I think he finally has made his case. He wisely decided to let it go. You would do well to do the same.

I had other things I wanted to say, but I think that about sums it up.

Hope you all have a good day today, and every day. There's a lot to be thankful for!
To be honest, i don't think that post was necessary, everything was already over and we moved on. We don't need to start anything further

Edit: One last thing. Technically, For Glory was made for people who play Smash 4. That's it! It is a logical progression, the yin to For Fun's yang; it just makes sense for it to exist.

In other words, of course someone like mang0 can play and enjoy For Glory mode. Nothing's stopping him. He's welcome to play it! The point has been, I hope, that it just isn't a mode that mang0 would take seriously. That's where I and others are agreeing that it was not "made for them." Because, while For Glory is made for everyone to use, not every demographic would typically enjoy it. There are also likely to be a lot of casual players who won't like For Glory mode, as well.

Thought it helpful to clarify that.
I also thought that that was the point of this topic? Or are you just trying to re-clarify that?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I also thought that that was the point of this topic? Or are you just trying to re-clarify that?
I think some people got easily offended at "it's not for you," assuming that meant, "you don't belong here." Really, the intent seems to have been, "you were not necessarily the intended demographic." [But by all means, play For Glory if you want to :) ]

So, yes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom