• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory can really be discouraging..

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I forgot I made this thread. I'm a little humiliated by this. :(
Can someone lock this or something?

For glory is incredibly discouraging, but I don't think i should have made a thread about it. sorry...

Sleek Media

Smash Lord

For glory is incredibly discouraging, but I don't think i should have made a thread about it. sorry...
Welcome to the internet, the home of generations of permanent, publicly available regrets. At least you've learned not to get salty on the Internet.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Why be humiliated? This thread turned out to be good for tips. It's also good for knowing you're not alone. I keep coming back to it when losing steaks in for glory leave me depressed. It helps me cope and push onward instead of quitting and giving up. I've felt that way many times. Like yesterday.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

What? Why? :(
Your first idea was that you really didn't understand why you were losing.
This is ultimately the crux of the problem. If one thinks, slowly, rationally, removing his emotions, and watch a lot of tournament matches, he will eventually see the applications of various techniques that his opponent is using, and correct his own! Motivation and understanding are necessary to uproot bad habits and poor observation. No, not even motivation, just understanding will slowly allow change.

Last edited:

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386
I feel like this sometimes... but i remember im playing on a 3ds. I believe the GC controller is going to help everyone a lot. The game is new and fresh. Just give it time, you will get good.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Every good player started off playing poorly. Don't be hard on yourself for not winning all the time.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
my win rate is lacking sometimes i win ten in a row then i have a ten loss streak it kinda makes me upset and i want to improve and get as good as possible. also i use the gamepad because i don't have a mayfash gc adapter of the official one that connects to the console so i have trouble doing all that i am capale of meh....

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
my win rate is lacking sometimes i win ten in a row then i have a ten loss streak it kinda makes me upset and i want to improve and get as good as possible. also i use the gamepad because i don't have a mayfash gc adapter of the official one that connects to the console so i have trouble doing all that i am capale of meh....
They're cheap on eBay. I got a non-official one and it works fine. Get the ones that guarantee refunds if the product is defective

Astellius

Smash Ace
This topic has been heavily responded to, and, to be honest, I did not read most of the replies. I'm offering this as a reply to the original post, without the excess of people talking about tournaments and other meet-ups.

First, Original Poster, Robin is a HARD character to play. She may be ranked high, but she (Robin) is hard to learn. Robin plays differently from EVERY OTHER smash character, and so it takes time to master the tactician. She is incredibly strong ONLY once you have mastered her, but, until then, expect to be destroyed.

This is because she is slow (she has the slowest running speed of all characters), and has a lot of end lag on a ton of moves. However, she more than makes up for these deficiencies with her ability to control the field. This control is different from other characters (it's not zoning per se). Robin is a tactical character through and through. She is hard to master, but once you do, a lot of 1v1 become incredibly easy.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Also, win rates are stupid. Play to have fun. Enjoy what you do. Win rates don't actually mean anything.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I consider myself very skilled and have a high 70% win/rate. I feel like I could beat just about anybody, but just a while ago I just had my first session against the best Dedede player I ever faced who beat me 30 games in a row(most of which he 2-stocked me). It was one of the my most frustrating smash sessions and made me realize the limit of my strengths.

Last edited:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
If you want to get better, I suggest you:

1, Get an ethernet adapter, less likely to lag and have input delays. before I got one, my wifi was killing me. now people from UK, NL, and DE have lag free games. and I'm from New York.

2, Find a controller that fits YOU, don't always go with what people suggest, find something that can fit your hand, and the flexibility on your fingers to the buttons. I personally grew up playing smash on the GameCube controller. so I prefer that. but I have seen people like JuneBug, (very high level lucario player), use the wii remote and do amazing things... just don't pick up the gamepad, since as far as I know, locals ban it.

3, Go on Anther's Ladder / SmashLadder, you get a perfect tournament-like feel at your own home, Striking stages, Counterpicking, Best of 3s/5s, and platform stages, with decent amount of people being skilled, or at least know what they are doing.

4, Learn not to stale your moves, If you keep doing a move over and over your opponent will live up to 170+ damage, and that's not good. mix up your attacks, be creative with them too.

5, Don't always rely on the training room, it's better to practice true combos on cpus on level 7 or so. Why 7? they react more human than level 9s, level 9s insta airdodge everything and react too fast.

6, Watch tutorial videos on your favorite character, and check out the character selection on these forums.

For Glory is fun in a sense that it's fast, convenient, and you get to experiment with different characters.

IMO If there's one thing for glory helps you on in terms of skill, is learning people's bad habits, learning how to read and punish them, and learn certain matchups, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it as a source to get overall better.

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I for one am glad this post exists for the tips. I still, still, STILL never win on For Glory, and with a 20% win rate since launch, tonnes of humiliating replays shared, dittos-to-spite-me-games galore, teabagging and mean name tags building up, it's like the world is telling me to trade in the game and play something more... casual. I really don't want to though. I love the game, and for some reason, I can't stop playing no matter how depressed I get from it.

All the same, with 2500+ games under my belt, most of which are losses, do you think I'm too dumb for this game? For some reason I perform better in Project M than here.

Last edited:

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
For Glory really teaches you nothing about the game. Would recommend going to tournaments or playing friendlies on anther's ladder.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
For Glory is full of ****. It's better to just test your skills with friends or go to Anther's Ladder or whatever.

If it makes anyone feel better, my For Glory win rate between the two versions ranges between 50-55%. xD

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
For Glory is full of ****. It's better to just test your skills with friends or go to Anther's Ladder or whatever.

If it makes anyone feel better, my For Glory win rate between the two versions ranges between 50-55%. xD
This game would be the best if we all lived with smashers...
Hey we should all live in one house...
Or maybe not....but you know what i mean

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@MorbidAltruism heyan were u been..aint seen u since release..
Hey u promised us Ridley....
U was so sure

Ow.man.

I.need.to jump.in epoch and travel back to 1999 the Apocalypse that was Smash4 Roster ESRB leak...day...

PS: dont just like my post....reply to it !

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Phew, this topic is great, thanks to the original poster!

Now that I finally have better internet and I can be more present in FG....i ran into a lot of sorta frustrating encounters and had a huge lose-streak.

It kinda pains me, because when I play against my friend, I usually play very well. reading, reacting, going for the kill etc.
The FG players I encountered yesterday seemed so...absolutely perfect with what they do. shielding inbetween my jab combos, grabbing me outta attacks, it all felt very...competetive.

I don't really know, it's just the feeling i have in my gut that the last guys i fought where miles above me...

didn't help that I am currently learning Shulk, one of the more complex characters. Getting rushed and trying to switch arts while minimum lag gives me smash instead of buster and buster instead of shield at decisive times was no fun at all...

With Lucas, it was all a bit easier to bear, but damn....some of those FG people are brutal...

BundleofNerves

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameGoober
So lately, With most of my free time, I've been playing a lot of 1vs1 for glory, trying to improve and become a better player. Sadly though, I haven't really been able to enjoy the matches I play. When I do get the chance to fight a really skilled player, I get bodied so badly to the point where I literally get depressed and because of that I tend to leave the lobby and stop playing for a while, instead of staying and learning the match-up ETC. I wanna mention that I don't mind losing, I just have trouble understanding why I lose certain matches and the things I did wrong. I also have trouble catching onto my opponents patterns so Its really hard to get a good read on my opponent. What makes it worse is the fact I'm playing as Robin, a character who's been speculated to be one of the best characters in the game, and I feel losing as him just goes to show how bad I really am if I can't even win with a good character. Its just incredibly demoralizing sometimes.

Does anyone have Similar issues, if so how do you cope with them?
I almost exclusively lose and while it does bother me, I don't let it dictate me. Acknowledge that the depression is there, don't ignore or run from it at all costs. Once you feel it in your head that you're depressed and recognize it you can push back. Do something that makes you happy, I like to think up random jokes, sing a fun song like Maria by Ricky Martin, dance in my underwear, (I have no shame) and remember, depression isn't permanent and Smash isn't everything. I've got no one in my life to play with, so FG is the only place I can play. Shoot, my hands still tremble just thinking about clicking that 1v1 button. I found 1 person who liked having fun. Don't remember their Mii name but they copied what I did at the beginning as a way of showing they like fun. First match I walked veeeeeery slowly towards them and they did the same, then we taunted and returned to our corners and started playing. The next match we short hopped off each other's heads for a moment, the next we both dangled on one foot on the edges, the next we kept turning left and right in place, almost like a dance, the next we kept ducking and crawling around, (Hilarious as Wario and Rosalina) then I had to go and they were sad. :( I forgot you could go to your friends list, click people played with and send a friend request to someone you played from there. I don't remember the player's name though. :( Nice to know there are other fun lovers out there though. :)

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Phew, this topic is great, thanks to the original poster!

Now that I finally have better internet and I can be more present in FG....i ran into a lot of sorta frustrating encounters and had a huge lose-streak.

It kinda pains me, because when I play against my friend, I usually play very well. reading, reacting, going for the kill etc.
The FG players I encountered yesterday seemed so...absolutely perfect with what they do. shielding inbetween my jab combos, grabbing me outta attacks, it all felt very...competetive.

I don't really know, it's just the feeling i have in my gut that the last guys i fought where miles above me...

didn't help that I am currently learning Shulk, one of the more complex characters. Getting rushed and trying to switch arts while minimum lag gives me smash instead of buster and buster instead of shield at decisive times was no fun at all...

With Lucas, it was all a bit easier to bear, but damn....some of those FG people are brutal...
I agree. I don't know how all these other people come across such easy opponents. Everyone I meet crushes me and shares a replay of it. My win rate is only 5-10% after 5000 games. :p

Top Bottom