• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool Jump

_clinton

Smash Master
So do you think all the Characters will be able to do it?

Or just Mario Characters? (and Kirby)

Ruffle

Smash Rookie
I think it is everyone, but wouldnt it be too easy to Meteor Smash people? I mean ok ya you just jump on them and voila you just spiked him and get an extra jump.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I think it is everyone, but wouldnt it be too easy to Meteor Smash people? I mean ok ya you just jump on them and voila you just spiked him and get an extra jump.
When you meteor attack someone, it isn't the same as spiking them. Spiking them is slamming an opponent downward with no way of using its jumps to get back unless the hitstun is gone. If you're spiked at mid-high percents off the stage, you're dead. However, meteor attacks can be meteor-cancelled, meaning you can jump out of it so you don't plummet down. In other words, meteor attacks do not equal spikes.

darkshy

Smash Ace
Just to say. I think that the footstool jump may be countered in a way just so if I someone big like bowser I'm not screwed.

_clinton

Smash Master
Well it would be nice if it is everyone... but why not make it like normal wall jumps?

Only a few people could use them...

I've only seen the Mario Ch. and Kirby (unless I missed a few) use this skill so I though that it might be only open to them...

However it could be given to a few other characters...I see no reason why someone like Fox couldn't do this...

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
No worries.

What I'm worried about is the seemingly considerable lag time while getting stepped on. There better be a way to reduce the lag or what's to stop someone or a team from jumping on top of someone repeatedly with no negative consequences?

If there are more crazy new moves like this in brawl, this is going to be one crazy game. Advantages will be gained and lost so much faster within a match than with SSBM.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
No worries.

What I'm worried about is the seemingly considerable lag time while getting stepped on. There better be a way to reduce the lag or what's to stop someone or a team from jumping on top of someone repeatedly with no negative consequences?

If there are more crazy new moves like this in brawl, this is going to be one crazy game. Advantages will be gained and lost so much faster within a match than with SSBM.
I don't worry about that as it seems this can be easily punished and is situational. Attacks could eat through it and it requires perfect timing. Oh, and congratulations on becoming a Smash Journeyman.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
it says its a meteor as well, which means you can meteor cancel it. so if anything, the person that just jumped on you is going to get hit by your up+b...unless you cant meteor cancel. then youre screwed.
Exactly what I'm thinking.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
One thing that would make this addition a lot cooler is if characters like Bowser were immune to it (as long as his spiked shell is facing upward - for instance, if he is ducking).

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
That would be interesting if some characters were immune to it. Good thinking.

What I noticed was that Wario was crouching before yoshi jumped on him. So my question is, does the opponent have to be crouching/crawling?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
One thing that would make this addition a lot cooler is if characters like Bowser were immune to it (as long as his spiked shell is facing upward - for instance, if he is ducking).
There's that, or the developers could make it so they if a character is footstool jumping, their feet can align where the spikes aren't present. From the looks of it, your idea seems like the one they would pick.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
That would be interesting if some characters were immune to it. Good thinking.

What I noticed was that Wario was crouching before yoshi jumped on him. So my question is, does the opponent have to be crouching/crawling?
I think you can do it at any time whether the opponent in the air or on the ground.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
What we saw from the Nintendo World trailer was a, supposedly, new move, crouching. It's not a new move per say, rather a different way of walking, which might be a new move, or it just might have replaced walking slowly.

Either way, I think the opponent does have to be crawling/crouching to do the Jump, for two reasons:
1) The picture shows Wario crouching/crawling before Yoshi lands on him. If you could Jump off of someone standing, they most likely would've shown it.
2) It says, "uses the spine of the person as the springboard. The only way to be standing on a persons spine would be if they were laying down/crouching/crawling.

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
Yay another answer to crouch cancelling

I hope...

A character being used as a stool on stage will probably suffer a lot of lag behind this technique.

Which will probably lead to more shield options...

And I agree this can be dealt with somewhat by attacks

Cuz if someone is close enough to step on ur head, they're close enough to eat ur up+b. It will be an interesting technique to see develop over the years but I don't think it will be game breaking

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
There's that, or the developers could make it so they if a character is footstool jumping, their feet can align where the spikes aren't present. From the looks of it, your idea seems like the one they would pick.
I just think it would be another good character-specific ability, kind of how Link can use his shield to block projectiles. The game needs more of those (still crossing my fingers for Yoshi being able to eat and spit out shells)

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Of my god,I feel so sorry for every character in the game if Giga Bowser can Footstool Jump....

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
What we saw from the Nintendo World trailer was a, supposedly, new move, crouching. It's not a new move per say, rather a different way of walking, which might be a new move, or it just might have replaced walking slowly.

Either way, I think the opponent does have to be crawling/crouching to do the Jump, for two reasons:
1) The picture shows Wario crouching/crawling before Yoshi lands on him. If you could Jump off of someone standing, they most likely would've shown it.
2) It says, "uses the spine of the person as the springboard. The only way to be standing on a persons spine would be if they were laying down/crouching/crawling.
Didn't think of that. Thanks. Kabyk-Greenmyst.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
One thing that no one has mentioned so far is the fact that it specifically says "with perfect timing". I'm imagining it more like the shield reflect currently in SSBM. Unless you can hit it at the absolute perfect time it might not function.

As for having to do it while someone is crouching, I doubt it. Simply the fact that you are capable of doing it while both players are in the air leads me to believe otherwise.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Take the "precise timing" thing with a grain of salt.

"Precise" timing is probably how he'd descrigbe something like teching. So it might not be as precise as you think.

B_Smash07

Smash Apprentice
what if it were to be relative to the characters weight? like kirby would meteor wum1, but bowser would spike? And of course, mario using it would instantly K.O. just cuz he's a h4x0r(lol jk)

Zodiac

Smash Master
Spikes are always perfered over meteors but you can still meteor cancel easily.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
Your statement about the spine is inaccurate. To compress the spine like a spring, it has to be oriented vertically i.e. standing up. Basic anatomy.

Top Bottom