• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Florida Smashfest Alert Service

Two-Ell

Smash Master
The purpose of this thread is address a something presented by a member of the Florida Melee Community(Superwavedash).

I'm sure many of you know by now how smashfests are in this state. They get listed any time of the week. Some even get listed a single day before it's to start. Some of you may not check ATL South often enough to know anything might be happening, others might not see the smashfest listing with the myriad of other threads on the board, and with the very confusing Tournament Listing system it's hard to get the word out or to even find the a thread for something you know is happening.

So by suggestion I'm here to start a service to you guys as manager of the Florida Thread. As someone who's always on the watch for Florida events, current news, and going ons I can alert Melee smashers of a smashfest event the moment a listing for one comes to my attention. I will work with the Smashfest Organizer to send out both an alert for when the event is listed and maybe a reminder alert the day before the event occurs(if the listing was not made the day before the smashfest is to start).

A couple things to be aware of is I will be sending smashfest alerts for all regions, but I will be placing the smashfest's region in the title of the alert so as not to waste your time and/or money reading the message. Alerts will go out at any hour between Noon to Midnight(I am not taking preferred times). Registration for this service will be held up for a week or so. In order to register or opt out of this service after this thread is to expire will need to take place in the Florida Thread. Also please know this service only applies to smashfests only. For state tournament events I encourage you all to make use of the Florida Thread's Tournament Listing section:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=70386 (Third post down)

So to get started please make a post saying would like to take part in this service. I'm hoping this will aid you guys in being able to find and get to more events near you. Enjoy!

~2link
:rosalina:

Pi

Smash Hero
Woot, sounds good to me broski

superwavedash, private message will be fine

So you will hunt for threads about smashfests, then PM everyone who signs up here about that thread/smashfest?

I had a slightly different idea, but this seems like it would work fine granted people actually start making threads about smashfests now

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Everyone in every region of FL is getting smashfests alerts regardless if they posted in that thread or not lol.(or if they live in the region it's taking place, but like I said I'll title the alert with the region and city).

Be sure to tell anyone you know who might like this.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Well that's why I made sure to keep it simple(not letting people give me specific regions, preferred times, or specific smashfests). All I'm doing is sending out mass emails/PM/Texts when I see a smashfest listing pop up and only for Melee things since Brawlers never hold surprise smashfests. It's not really all that hard at all. Plus there's usually only like one or two surprise smashfests per week.

Pi

Smash Hero
Yea
I was thinking more put the responsibility to PM people to those hosting the fest by just making a list of all the smashers who want to be alerted, though it would restrict it just to PM

This way it wouldn't be weighted on you and whether you're online or not, you know?

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Hmm well I suppose I'll follow along with that idea based on that last point you gave. Although I usually am near a computer during the day lol.

Either way you guys haven't been saying whether you want to be notified or not D:

Pi

Smash Hero
yea I would say just put together a public list of everyone who wants to be notified about smashfests
you can divide it into regions, or just 1 big list, doesn't really matter, and then just leave it to those hosting smashfests to PM everyone.

But make it so they only have to copy paste to PM;

superwavedash ; 2link121 ; radiX

etc.

Pi

Smash Hero
Nobody has officially signed up yet except for me

afaik

YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP TO GET NOTIFIED YOU SCRUBS

and you sign up in this thread

just say sign me up, and if you want PM, text, e-mail

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I know I was expecting more enthusiasm for this. So many things pop up last minute and people find out too late about. I think I'm going to go to all the FL socials and make posts about this so it gets their attention.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I'm up for smashing, and am willing to hold a fest at my place if you guys need a place to smash.

Edit: Oh yeah sign me up, lol.

cell/text: 321-230-2739

Top Bottom