• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Float Stall: New Advanced Technique?

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, I tried searching the forum but saw no mention of it.

If Mewtwo briefly enters float (i.e. immediately enters and exits the float after about a quarter of a second) he retains the ability to use his second jump. This gives a brief stall to Mewtwo's decent and can even move him slightly in one of the usual directions before he jumps again.

While I have not looked into its utility, the pause is sufficient for messing up an opponent's timing of aerials and can give that little extra distance when trying to recover with Mewtwo's already fantastic stage-return game.

Please give it a try and post any findings here.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, I do not have recording equipment at the moment and cannot upload a link. If anyone else would be able to do so, please do. In the mean time, try to recreate it in game. The more people who try, the more we can learn to abuse this.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
yeah this has been discovered and honestly its not that useful. i personally think its more a design decision by the PMBR so you dont random hover for a split second and then lose your double jump for silly SDs.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
That was indeed the intention.

Since Peach can do DJ -> Hover it's not really an issue for her, whereas it became a little bit of a problem for Mewtwo testers who liked the Hover but were concerned that public players would be upset if they started SDing by a mechanic that we introduced that the public hadn't even asked for.

It's hard to say how necessary it is or how much of an impact it's had on Hover being received well instead of being a source of frustration.. We may poll the community's feelings on its necessity at some point before our next release.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
If you are careful with your inputs you shouldn't have a problem with losing your double jump. Granted I can see your point about introducing a mechanic and adding a while new fundamental aspect to the character, but that should encourage players to develop technical precision and accuracy. I guess it will become apparent once more tournament videos come out. A poll well likely help as well

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
I find it interesting that the majority of posts i've seen (other than OP), generally refer to the short-hover into DJ to be relatively useless.
I seem to think its pretty fantastic.
1. it cancels tumble, which is useful.
2. it can be used for distance (short, but still useful if you've been put far enough away) smash like any other game is a game of inches.
3. The DELAY. any time you've been juggled and haven't used your hover, you can pause your descent with a nice interruption by a short hover. Just use hover while falling at just above the absolute height that your opponent can reach you at. Then if your opponent follows you into the air he may miss his attack. then you can FF nair or move to the side and bair. If your opponent doesn't bite, you're in the nearly identical situation you were before, and if you do get hit, you still have your double jump. The only possible con is that you don't get to use hover to recover, however, hover is rarely more effective than DJ anyway, so you've only gained the ability to escape a juggle.

4. Edgeguarding, The delay also might help in edge guarding situations. Suppose you commit to an edge guard, opponent manages to slip past you and hug the edge, you can expire some of the invincibility frames by a short hover, then use your DJ with a bair to either snipe them off the ledge for a stage spike, or scare them onstage.
Or, when my friend uses samus' morph ball bombs to bounce around and return to the stage, I use the short hover to get farther out towards him in addition to delaying to when he cannot input because he has used his morph bombs. Then DJ and uair to finish.

I've given some examples but there are lots of situations in which a short hover can be useful.

PMBR- Do not change, it adds depth and keeps the newbies playing mewtwo SD-free. (and its not that useful)

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I can't make promises this early in 3.0's lifetime but I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for speaking up in some time. My intent with the thread was to call attention to the usefulness of this mechanic, as xXSciophobiaXx so graciously expanded upon. I'll second the request that keeping it in the game will prove very interesting. It's use will likely increase and develop further as more people become aware and as Mewtwo's metagame deepens.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I find it interesting that the majority of posts i've seen (other than OP), generally refer to the short-hover into DJ to be relatively useless.
I seem to think its pretty fantastic.
1. it cancels tumble, which is useful.
2. it can be used for distance (short, but still useful if you've been put far enough away) smash like any other game is a game of inches.
3. The DELAY. any time you've been juggled and haven't used your hover, you can pause your descent with a nice interruption by a short hover. Just use hover while falling at just above the absolute height that your opponent can reach you at. Then if your opponent follows you into the air he may miss his attack. then you can FF nair or move to the side and bair. If your opponent doesn't bite, you're in the nearly identical situation you were before, and if you do get hit, you still have your double jump. The only possible con is that you don't get to use hover to recover, however, hover is rarely more effective than DJ anyway, so you've only gained the ability to escape a juggle.

4. Edgeguarding, The delay also might help in edge guarding situations. Suppose you commit to an edge guard, opponent manages to slip past you and hug the edge, you can expire some of the invincibility frames by a short hover, then use your DJ with a bair to either snipe them off the ledge for a stage spike, or scare them onstage.
Or, when my friend uses samus' morph ball bombs to bounce around and return to the stage, I use the short hover to get farther out towards him in addition to delaying to when he cannot input because he has used his morph bombs. Then DJ and uair to finish.

I've given some examples but there are lots of situations in which a short hover can be useful.

PMBR- Do not change, it adds depth and keeps the newbies playing mewtwo SD-free. (and its not that useful)
This. It also lets you add a tiny bit of distance to your second jump during recovery. A very brief hover before you jump.

I've been using this for a while, noticed it my first day with Mewtwo.

Top Bottom