• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flamecaller of Kalos: Delphox for DLC! What future do the flames foretell?

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
It makes sense. And, if you think about it, it IS a very fitting name. how about just "The Coven"?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
We could call ourselves a coven I guess, I mean, it is a gathering of witches, so it sort of fits. Albeit it doesn't sound very cool, but I think it could work. How does "The Delphox Coven" sound?
It makes sense. And, if you think about it, it IS a very fitting name. how about just "The Coven"?
Interesting ideas, but they both have potential issues. The first one's kind of clunky. Doesn't roll off the tongue very well, you know? Meanwhile, the second one on its own isn't very clear in how it ties into Delphox. Someone outside the group who heard of it would just think of witches in general.

Hm...

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Ugh Delzethin, you have me thinking WAAAAAY over my daily summer limit of thinking... at least I'm thinking about something productive, not like girls or what I'm going to eat for lunch. :D Maybe the Fire Foxes?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It could the "The Fire/Psychic Coven".

Of course, you don't add both simultaneously. One or the other.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
You know, i was working on a tier list and I couldn't help but notice that all the mage characters in smash 4 are kinda well... bad
1111 Palutena, Robin, and Zelda. They're all kind of contenders for the worst characters in the game. Do you think Delphox would have any chance at being a good character?

As somebody who is a top level player, I can tell you that the top tiers in this game are top tier because the have these thigns

1. Mobility
2. A grab that can follow up to combo or KO

Shields are strong in this game, like, REALLY strong. To beat a good amount of the cast you simply have to shield and then there is nothing they can do. Of course grabbing beats shields so if you're Ness, Mii Brawler, Sheik, Luigi, ZSS ect. It doesn't matter. So do you guys think that Delphox would have any tools up it's sleeve to counter this shielding strat and not end up being bottom tier like the rest of the mages?
I think that wouldn't be much of a problem because I see Delphox as a character who is great at zoning and spacing with (hopefully) some good mobility. I feel that she would be great at shield pressuring and forcing an approach with some ranged attacks and her projectile game.

I don't know if they're going to make her bad at cqc and make her play like Duck Hunt, but I can see them giving her a great combo game and physical moveset with her projectile game. I have no idea if we'll get a good combo throw but I can see them giving her some powerful kill throws and I bet she'll have a good grab (I'm hoping for a quick grab with good range like Greninja's).

I think we have a good chance for Delphox to have a great anti-shield game. Damn, thinking about all the labing I'll be doing if she was released has got me all excited again. You'd probably be the best Delphox player, so I'd have to study your gameplay and spar in the Skype group to help me become the best in my region with her lmao.

I'd like us to be "The Coven" but I don't know if we should use it if it would cause too much confusion.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I think that wouldn't be much of a problem because I see Delphox as a character who is great at zoning and spacing with (hopefully) some good mobility. I feel that she would be great at shield pressuring and forcing an approach with some ranged attacks and her projectile game.
In fact, one of the key aspects to Shay and I's set was giving Delphox the ability to force opponents' hands. Will-O-Wisp forces them to alter their approaches and take to the air or dodge predictably unless they want to deal with burn damage. Future Sight forces them to keep away from a part of the stage or risk getting hit and being sent into disadvantage against someone with enough mobility to capitalize pretty well. Mystic Fire...well, forces them to approach unless they want to have to worry about a fully charged one getting pulled out later.

Last edited:

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
She seems to be a zoning/spacing type of character, one who forces opponents away from one action and unknowingly for them forces them into another, worse option. Sounds to me that a supposed Delphox player would have to have a lot of skill/knowledge about matchups.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Just asking permission do you mind if I have Delphox up as one of the daily ballot characters for the poll I'm making. Could be interesting.
I'd be up for it in a few days. Anyone else game?

...Though we'd need to make our presence known in the thread when it happens. We could argue our case there, and maybe win over a few more supporters.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I'll help out if I'm available.

Edit: Decided to start working on my moveset. It's going to take awhile to fix my grammar, so don't expect to see it just yet.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Smashboards is a madhouse again, but I have some other news from elsewhere. The winners for this month's Pokémon Art Academy art contest have been announced...and check out who's front and center:

I wonder if there's a way to contact the artist behind that...

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Smashboards is a madhouse again, but I have some other news from elsewhere. The winners for this month's Pokémon Art Academy art contest have been announced...and check out who's front and center:

Yeah, I've seen it.
Looks really great!

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709

The theme of the art contest was "Your Favourite Pokemon", so it looks like she/he's a Delphox Fan.

Hmm... I'll try and see if I could find the artist.

EDIT:
Deviantart:
http://peegeray.deviantart.com

Link to Delphox art:
http://peegeray.deviantart.com/art/delphox-520178309

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So, with the whole kind of pseudo deconformation of K. Rool, that kind of gives me a bit more hope for Delphox's chances.

That's one of the things I like about Sakurai, he doesn't seem to cave into the big demands such as Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, ect. He's always looking beyond that, and while having more votes for Delphox would be nice, it doesn't mean that our chances are impossible just because we don't have everyone on our side. Sakurai could see something in Delphox that most other people don't and put it on the roster.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So, with the whole kind of pseudo deconformation of K. Rool, that kind of gives me a bit more hope for Delphox's chances.

That's one of the things I like about Sakurai, he doesn't seem to cave into the big demands such as Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, ect. He's always looking beyond that, and while having more votes for Delphox would be nice, it doesn't mean that our chances are impossible just because we don't have everyone on our side. Sakurai could see something in Delphox that most other people don't and put it on the roster.
Sorry, but this isn't Sakurai "doing his own stuff"
This is outright ignoring an enormous amount of fan-demand while looking for characters people want through the ballot.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Sorry, but this isn't Sakurai "doing his own stuff"
This is outright ignoring an enormous amount of fan-demand while looking for characters people want through the ballot.
Maybe the fan-demand isn't his main goal. Maybe he's looking for suggestions and ideas of what characters to use. Like somebody mentions a character he never thought about considering and goes "Oh, this guy would make a perfect fit in smash!"

That's my take on it imo, and thats why I feel like the smaller characters such as Delphox have a fighting chance, if it was purely up to Fan-Service and popularity, I'd ask why we're here even trying.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Characters are definitely not being picked solely on popularity. The ballot is just a place where you can send the development team your character suggestions. Popularity obviously still plays a part when it comes to who will be chosen, but in the end it's up to Sakurai to decide if the character is a worthy addition to his roster.

Anyway, I can't wait to see if we're going to get any characters released on the 31st. Crossing my fingers for Delphox but I don't think she'd be among the first characters to be released. Whether we get Delphox or not, I'm sure we're getting something good.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
On one hand, I always figured the Smash Ballot was more of a nomination process than anything. They'd give preferential treatment to characters with more nominations, but they'd still be doing the same or similar things to decide what characters to add that they did with the newcomers we got initially. The strange thing is, K. Rool does have a lot of moveset potential and seems like the kind of character they'd be interested in, which is why this Mii costume has me scratching my head. Perhaps it was planned for the initial game but cut for time or something? I dunno.

If anything, though, I think this Dr. Mario stage helps our chances more than anything. We know such a stage was considered early on but ultimately shelved, and if it was brought back now, what else could come back that way? Remember, if/until we get more significant support going, the best chance Delphox has depends on A) having been one of the Gen 6 mons considered early in development, when they eventually went with Greninja, and B) getting brought back recently because the developers still thought she was interesting.

I think there's a decent chance of a character reveal in the next couple days, though. They already surprised us back in June by having thee ready when we thought we were only getting one, and there're still two placeholders unaccounted for.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who sees the new Lloyd wig as potential earfluff for Delphox?

EDIT: The Flying Man's head looks a little like a Delphox too

Last edited:

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
I'll support it, though I'd rather have Chesnaught.
Hey guys, I'm back....
Though seriously, there's too many Pokémanz I want for Smash.

(And I'd kill myself if a deserving Pokémon got a Mii costume. Bad enough the ones ahead in the ballot are getting just Mii costumes)

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Hey guys, I'm back....
Though seriously, there's too many Pokémanz I want for Smash.

(And I'd kill myself if a deserving Pokémon got a Mii costume. Bad enough the ones ahead in the ballot are getting just Mii costumes)
Welcome back.

Fortunately for us, there aren't very many Pokémon that'd make sense as Mii costumes. Fortunately for K. Rool's gigantic support base, we don't know if his costume rules him out or even if it had anything to do with the Smash Ballot at all. It might've even been planned as early as last winter, for all we know.

For now, I think we should be looking more to see what characters they reveal before the Ballot closes. But considering the only place that's even announcing anything is the Japanese Twitter account and we've seen no word on a trailer or anything, it's making me doubt we'll see one today or tomorrow...

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Welcome back.

Fortunately for us, there aren't very many Pokémon that'd make sense as Mii costumes. Fortunately for K. Rool's gigantic support base, we don't know if his costume rules him out or even if it had anything to do with the Smash Ballot at all. It might've even been planned as early as last winter, for all we know.

For now, I think we should be looking more to see what characters they reveal before the Ballot closes. But considering the only place that's even announcing anything is the Japanese Twitter account and we've seen no word on a trailer or anything, it's making me doubt we'll see one today or tomorrow...
It would have been leaked with the Doctor Mario stage. I don't see it happening tbh, but we shouldn't be worried. These mii fighter outfits have been great for us so far since it's taking competition (as much as I dislike saying that) out of our way and it also opens doors to Delphox possibly getting a Mii outfit, which I mean while I would not prefer, I main the mii fighters so I would enjoy this over nothing.

cool new avatar btw

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Alright then. Anyone up for heading over to the poll thread and putting a few good words in?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Seems like most of the character threads have slowed down over the last day. All the hype from characters getting buffed, lol.

Maybe some day we could be part of it.

Well, technically I'm already part of it myself but you get what I meant, right? >_>

Last edited:

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
I've been watching this thread for awhile now and I finally decided to make an account.
I fully support Delphox for smash (since it is my favourite pokémon and all :p) and hope one day will join smash :)

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I've been watching this thread for awhile now and I finally decided to make an account.
I fully support Delphox for smash (since it is my favourite pokémon and all :p) and hope one day will join smash :)
You signed up for our sake? I'm not sure if I'm more surprised, flattered, or embarrassed. XD

Nonetheless, welcome. Let's see if we can't get some more attention.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
Haha thanks and well, I love Delphox to bits x3 (I have a T-shirt and everything :3) and I really want Delphox to be in smash ever since greninja got revealed.
I have also told most of my friends to vote for Delphox on the ballot, I even shown some of this thread to people who think Delphox have no hopes to get in at all to change their minds.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
A bit disappointed there were more "no" votes, but not surprised. I did my part and voted "yes," though. Other characters have made it in against the odds, so why not Delphox? I'd still rather see it over yet another Gen I Pokémon or clone Pokémon, and I think Pokémon can justify having at least one more character.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
A bit disappointed there were more "no" votes, but not surprised.
I don't think there's too much to worry about. I'm assuming when people said "no" they didn't mean that they didn't want Delphox in smash, but rather they'd prefer another character instead of Delphox. Like had I voted in the other character polls the guy posted, I would've voted "no" for them, not so much that I don't want them in the game, but rather I'd have Delphox.

Welcome man, joining the place just to support Delphox is definitely a good sign on our part. The more the merrier.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Haha thanks and well, I love Delphox to bits x3 (I have a T-shirt and everything :3) and I really want Delphox to be in smash ever since greninja got revealed.
I have also told most of my friends to vote for Delphox on the ballot, I even shown some of this thread to people who think Delphox have no hopes to get in at all to change their minds.
Do your best to rack up more voters! Our voices will be heard.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
Yeah, I'll help spread the word out as much as I can :)
and can I say it feels great to see other Delphox fans <3

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I've just gotten to thinking... Sorry about my absence, Smashboards stopped giving me notifications on the thread. I hate when it does that... Anyways, we need to think of some way to, for lack of a better word, market Delphox in a way that she seems appealing to on-the-fence Smashers. I've been thinking about it for the past couple days, but I've hit a mental roadblock.

Top Bottom