• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flamecaller of Kalos: Delphox for DLC! What future do the flames foretell?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I just refer to them as female out of habit, more than anything. I have a female one in my X file, and it just kind of stuck.

I can see where some don't see them as inherently masculine or feminine, though.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It depends on the way you want to view it really.

The names behind Delphox and Braixen are both feminine in nature. Relating to Delphi (a female only clan of witches) and Vixen (Female Fox). However on the flip side, you've got the 90% male ratio. Which, if they actually cared about Delphox and Braixen being true to their name, they would've done something to make them 100% female or at the very least 50/50.

Then you have the appearance itself. Fennekin looks gender neutral, then you have Braixen who has a fur skirt and Delphox who has a fur dress. Though again, on the flip side, this can be seen as a robe of sorts, much like a mage such as Robin wears. Robin is also seen as both Male and Female in Smash, so I suppose the same could be said for Delphox.

The only two pokemon that are really male and female in smash are Pika and Jiggs respectively. Pikachu is clearly male because of it's tail and it wears all the male trainer hats, while Jigglypuff is generally mostly female and wears all the female trainer hats, implying that Jigglypuff is female in this game. However, with Greninja, Lucario, and Mewtwo, it's pretty hard to tell, same would go for Delphox.

I personally view Delphox as a male because I've got a Delphox character (the dude on my avatar) who is male. So I'm pretty used to using Male Pro-nouns for Delphox and even Braixen.

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I am worried Delphox won't get enough popularity in time before the ballot closes.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
What do we have, until October 3rd yes? That gives us about 3 months to get Delphox's popularity where it needs to be. After the ballot closes, there's not much else we can do but hope.

I just really do wonder how much exactly Sakurai is looking at the ballot characters in terms of "fanservice". Who knows if he's already picking characters from the ballot as we speak or if he's waiting until the very end.

If we end up getting a character or two that isn't amongst the most popular say... King K.Rool, Issac, Kyrstal, Wolf, Snake, Shovel Knight, Shante, ect. Then I think we can say that Delphox has a good chance of making it in. However, if yet another pokemon makes it into the game and it ISN'T Delphox or Chesnaught? Then I think it's time to pack up our bags and call it quits. However, I highly doubt the latter will happen. I can't see any other Pokemon besides Sceptile, Squirtle, and Ivysaur having a better chance.

If we can't get Artist Omny's attention with Delphox, I might end up animating something later on myself. Not right now but, hopefully within the next 3 months or so. I could be the least I could do.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I guess a lot of people can't see Delphox as a male when Braixen is a pre-evo, but it's not that uncommon to see that in Pokemon because we have things like Gallade having Kirlia as a pre-evo.

Yeah, we still have a lot of time. Let's make sure to vote for Delphox in the next smashified. It would be cool if people are still gullible when it comes to leaks because I always wanted to put my video editing and photoshop skills to use and make one for Delphox lol. I hope we can get Artsy Omni to make a Smash render for us but I feel like that'd be just as hard as us winning the ballot.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
...I wouldn't mind Delphox. My starter of choice in XY, and I actually always liked it more than Braixen.
And as a clone of Robin or Zelda would be great to have. An agile version of those characters. Im pretty happy with the idea of easy cool clones like Roy to fill spots between Ballot mayor characters.
Also, Im somewhat a fan of male Delphox. Felt like having Dark Magician from Yugi-oh in my Pokemon game.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
@ nonbinarysmasher nonbinarysmasher and @ Banjo-Kazooie Banjo-Kazooie , welcome. Enjoy your stay. Stick around and lend a hand, perhaps?

What do we have, until October 3rd yes? That gives us about 3 months to get Delphox's popularity where it needs to be. After the ballot closes, there's not much else we can do but hope.
Fortunately, we're looking pretty good around here so far. We're averaging around one new supporter a day! If this keeps up, come October we may overtake the Sceptile thread in support, which would be an impressive feat.

The trick is building support in enough other places to have an actual impact in the ballot. That's more complicated, and it's something I'm still working on figuring out.

Not that I'm not taking steps toward it already!

However, if yet another pokemon makes it into the game and it ISN'T Delphox or Chesnaught? Then I think it's time to pack up our bags and call it quits.
To be honest? I don't think it'd kill our chances entirely. Everything we've seen in previous Smash games and in the initial roster for this one seems to say they won't limit themselves to one DLC character per series if the demand is there and if the other character in question is a compelling one.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Imo, we probably won't have a chance to make it in if a Pokemon other than Delphox wins the ballot. I guess we could still have hope if Chesnaught gets in, but I'd doubt that they would announce him seperately from Delphox. We could also definitely still have a chance if Sceptile gets in because his inclusion would technically represent ORAS, so another highly requested Kalos rep can work (especially if another main series Kalos game is announced).

nonbinarysmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chaosmagic
The german names for the fennekin line are somewhat different to the english ones.
Fynx - Rutena - Fennexis
where imo fynx and fennexis are neutral and rutena sounds a bit feminine.
From what I thought is that the lucario in smash is definately male
based on his voice.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
The german names for the fennekin line are somewhat different to the english ones.
Fynx - Rutena - Fennexis
where imo fynx and fennexis are neutral and rutena sounds a bit feminine.
From what I thought is that the lucario in smash is definately male
based on his voice.
The localized names for the Fennekin line are awesome. For example I like how the english localization gave Delphox a direct reference to Delphi in it's name. The Japanese name is a little boring, iirc it literally translates to Magic Fox. The German names sound pretty badass imo.

I've always wondered how Delphox would sound like in Smash. I don't think they would give it something strikingly feminine because that would just sound a little awkward depending on the type of personality they give it. I personally would like something a little badass like with what they did to Mewtwo. Voice acting like what they did with Lucario could work, but I can't imagine how they would pull that off.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The localized names for the Fennekin line are awesome. For example I like how the english localization gave Delphox a direct reference to Delphi in it's name. The Japanese name is a little boring, iirc it literally translates to Magic Fox. The German names sound pretty badass imo.

I've always wondered how Delphox would sound like in Smash. I don't think they would give it something strikingly feminine because that would just sound a little awkward depending on the type of personality they give it. I personally would like something a little badass like with what they did to Mewtwo. Voice acting like what they did with Lucario could work, but I can't imagine how they would pull that off.
If I had to pick a Delphox voice, I would go with the one from the Diance movie. https://youtu.be/9i51OdaPCe4?t=31m37s

Infact, when listening to Greninja's voice in this movie, it almost sounds like the one in smash.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
If I had to pick a Delphox voice, I would go with the one from the Diance movie. https://youtu.be/9i51OdaPCe4?t=31m37s
To be honest? I'm not much of a fan of how the anime handles Pokémon voices. The whole "saying their species name" thing was original and kind of cute at first, but now it just feels gimmicky and jars with the more all-ages appeal the series has picked up over the years. I heavily prefer the more realistic (if you can call something "realistic" in a setting where the animals have elemental powers and all the humans are beastmasters, lol) cries and noises the games use. Considering most of the Pokémon characters in Smash use anime-based voices...well, I'd rather they didn't for Delphox.

Not that I dislike anyone who

Not out of the question they could pull something like with Charizard, though, and hybridize things. Remember the very beginning of the Greninja trailer? Remember how Charizard's roar sounded like an updated version of its cry from the games?

Or maybe the best option would be full voice acting. I could definitely get behind that, since Delphox does seem like the kind of 'mon that could learn to speak human languages if taught to. It'd be a tougher sell without any precedent, though, since we haven't seen one talk in a canon appearance.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yeah, don't expect Delphox to be speaking languages unless they actually make something like that canon first, thats the only reason why Lucario has anything like that due to the movie he got. If anything, we'd end up getting the same type of treatment that Greninja got, which was well.... greninja shouting out his own name.

Charizard, Diddy, DK, and Bowser are characters in the game that just sound very animalish. I don't think Delphox has anything to fit into this category as well because you know what they say, what does the fox say?

99% sure we'd get the anime voice for Delphox. Besides, its not too bad. Delphox's movie voice is nice and deep (unlike its very feminine voice that it had in the Fennekin vs Delphox episode where the Delphox in question was confirmed to be female). Most pokemon don't even say their full name anymore, they just say parts of it, such as Delphox should out "Del" and "Fox"

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
The anime VA route seems to be the most likely one for them to take. I would want to see some animal sounds, but as @ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster said, what the heck does a fox sound like? lol

It's not like I don't want the anime voice though (it's pretty good iirc). I just really enjoy those realistic animal sfx they make for characters and the idea of voice acting Delphox like with what they did to Lucario would be pretty awesome. There's a lot of potential.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So the recent episode featuring Serena's Braixen came out and it had that one star's Delphox in it watching them from TV. It seems like thats probably going to be Delphox's role in the series, at least its better than nothing. I highly doubt we'll see Serena's Braixen evolve though.

It makes me think of who actually has the better chance between Delphox and Braixen, because they kind of seem to be pushing Braixen alot. It gets on the front cover of Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, and is seen as a playable character in this game (which seems to be based off all the pokemon caught from the Ash and his friends)

I personally don't care too much if we get Delphox or Braixen, but I do lean towards more Delphox. Regardless, its two good candidates for Smash.

One more thing, watching both the movie and the anime, Delphox/Braixen are shown to be very agile looking, making leaps and stuff all over the place, definitely would be suited to be a mobile fighter in smash.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So the recent episode featuring Serena's Braixen came out and it had that one star's Delphox in it watching them from TV. It seems like thats probably going to be Delphox's role in the series, at least its better than nothing. I highly doubt we'll see Serena's Braixen evolve though.

It makes me think of who actually has the better chance between Delphox and Braixen, because they kind of seem to be pushing Braixen alot. It gets on the front cover of Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, and is seen as a playable character in this game (which seems to be based off all the pokemon caught from the Ash and his friends)...
Yet at the same time, Braixen wouldn't be as distinct from the Fennekin summon we already have. The line's powers aren't fully realized at that point, and they don't have that secondary Psychic type yet.

And looking at anime appearances, there've been just as many Delphox appearances as Greninja ones, and the Delphox ones have been more plot-relevant! And personally, I think it's entirely possible Serena's Braixen will evolve again before the Kalos arc is said and done.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
How about another look at that moveset?

So for a while, we'd been trying to find something that'd help Delphox stand out like all the other newcomers we've had so far. While the Chromatic Fire effect would look cool, we needed something more than multicolored flames, you know? And if that tied into the themes and idea we'd already decided on, it'd be even better.

How about this: As Delphox charges her smash attacks, they don't actually gain much as far as damage or knockback goes...but gain significant range instead? A fully charged fsmash could outrange Shulk's, a charged usmash could trap airdodges on its own, and if the player read a roll and got a dsmash ready, their opponent would get hit.

It's something similar to Duck Hunt's smashes in design, but far different in practice. Where Duck Hunt's smashes are powerful but unreliable due to how opponents can escape them, Delphox's would be very reliable...but not all that powerful in comparison.

A (mostly) unique spin that'd help the character stand out more, while tying into overarching themes of being skilled yet showing self-restraint, like how wizards are usually depicted!

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Aww man, I was hoping that Delphox would get revealed in the Pokken Tournament livestream. We still don't have a Kalos rep iirc, so Delphox could definitely make it into the roster if Greninja would stop being such a ****blocker just because he's the most popular.

Oh wow, I like that idea with Delphox's smash attacks. It would really help define her playstyle and keep her spacing/zoning game fresh. Semi-charged smash attacks can be very useful in the neutral depending on their range and safety.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Aww man, I was hoping that Delphox would get revealed in the Pokken Tournament livestream. We still don't have a Kalos rep iirc, so Delphox could definitely make it into the roster if Greninja would stop being such a ****blocker just because he's the most popular.
I think if Greninja wasn't part of Gen 6, Delphox woulda been the one to get into Smash. But before we talk about Greninja being a ****-blocker, lets talk about Charizard. This man has been in enough video games as it is, give other fire starters a chance please thank you.

But seriously though, I will be incredibly salty if Charizard and Greninja get two fighting games while Delphox and Chesnaught get none. We don't have ANY Gen 6 playable rep yet I don't think. But 9/10 its just going to be Greninja again because why not, lets not give the other starters a chance. I think Fennekin's popularity is also to blame, it being an assist for that game and a pokeball for Smash, REALLY doesn't help Delphox.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Aww man, I was hoping that Delphox would get revealed in the Pokken Tournament livestream.
Not gonna lie, I was hoping the same thing.

But seriously though, I will be incredibly salty if Charizard and Greninja get two fighting games while Delphox and Chesnaught get none. We don't have ANY Gen 6 playable rep yet I don't think. But 9/10 its just going to be Greninja again because why not, lets not give the other starters a chance. I think Fennekin's popularity is also to blame, it being an assist for that game and a pokeball for Smash, REALLY doesn't help Delphox.
It does frustrate me a little. On one hand, I can see why they went with the big favorites...but on the other, we end up with the same mons hogging the spotlight in everything, with none of the others really getting a chance to shine. The fact that four of the nine Pokkén characters we know of are from Gen 1 and none are from 5 or 6 makes me worry they're banking too much on nostalgia and not giving the new blood any real opportunity to do anything.

Ignoring so many characters with the same potential solely because others have existed longer? If that ends up happening...it'd be a huge mistake.

That said, I'm not sure Fennekin being a summon hurts Delphox's chances any more than it does for Smash. Delphox has so many new abilities and characteristics compared to its base form that having the two alongside each other wouldn't feel redundant. And besides, if it does mean Delphox can't happen in Pokkén, the same goes for Greninja. Frogadier's also a summon, remember?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
That said, I'm not sure Fennekin being a summon hurts Delphox's chances any more than it does for Smash. Delphox has so many new abilities and characteristics compared to its base form that having the two alongside each other wouldn't feel redundant. And besides, if it does mean Delphox can't happen in Pokkén, the same goes for Greninja. Frogadier's also a summon, remember?
That is true, however this is no assist for the Chespin line yet, so I'd still be kind of upset if only Chesnaught got in, which he seems likely for this kind of game. Tho I'd be equally upset if none of them got in for any gen 6 rep at all.

There's a lot of ways this could go wrong lol, but I'll rank them in order of how much I don't want them to happen from worst to best

The Bad
- Chesnaught and Greninja get in, Delphox doesn't
- Only Chesnaught or Greninja gets in
- None of them get in

The Good
- Delphox gets in
- All 3 of them get in.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Moveset work is well under way...but I'd also like to hear what other ideas everyone else has. Where a potential supporter might not be interested in one idea, a different one could completely sell them!

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I always liked to imagine Delphox with a moveset that uses lot of different elements to give her that wizard-like feel. Grass Knot can be a ranged grab similar to Greninja's whirlpool grab, and some of her other moves like Solarbeam, Shock Wave, Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam, Foul Play, or some of her Status and Psychic type moves would be cool.

The problem with this idea is that Delphox doesn't have a wide elemental movepool. It would be great if they were to give Delphox some elemental moves that it couldn't learn in the game though, because a mage Pokemon like Delphox already should've been able to learn most of them. I feel like giving Delphox a moveset that would allow her to use all these different elemental typings would really set her apart from the other Pokemon.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I always liked to imagine Delphox with a moveset that uses lot of different elements to give her that wizard-like feel. Grass Knot can be a ranged grab similar to Greninja's whirlpool grab, and some of her other moves like Solarbeam, Shock Wave, Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam, Foul Play, or some of her Status and Psychic type moves would be cool.
Then if you think it'd be a great idea for a moveset, then by all means, start putting one on your own together! Having multiple potential movesets will only help us.

The problem with this idea is that Delphox doesn't have a wide elemental movepool. It would be great if they were to give Delphox some elemental moves that it couldn't learn in the game though, because a mage Pokemon like Delphox already should've been able to learn most of them.
That does bug me. Even compared to other starters, the Fennekin line's movepool is really narrow. I mean, gaining Dazzling Gleam in ORAS helped, but still! What about Thunderbolt? Energy Ball? Why does the mon explicitly designed to be a spellcaster have so few spells to cast?

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Ah, another thing! Every DLC character that's been announced has had a trailer to debut them, even if it's something simple and created mostly from ingame footage. What about a theoretical Delphox trailer? How does everyone think it'd play out?

nonbinarysmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chaosmagic
Maybe at first it shows different characters showing their fire based moves and then delphox appears makes fire surround them and then you see the typical showing off of every attack and stuff they have (mainly delphox would attack the other fire users)
ending it with delphox using their final smash.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So something interesting I came across, Pokemon figures. Greninja has the same pose in smash, so who thinks Delphox's smash 4 pose would be the same as this?

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Mystic Fire creates a ring of fire right?

What if Delphox could create figures of fire with her staff, like Greno can make Water Swords?
I'm...not sure what you mean. Could you explain?

So something interesting I came across, Pokemon figures. Greninja has the same pose in smash, so who thinks Delphox's smash 4 pose would be the same as this?

I could actually see that. In fact, I think that might even be the pose from the official art, viewed at a more dynamic angle!

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
When Delphox uses Mystical Fire, she "writes" a circle of fire with her staff.
Maybe in Smash, she could "write" other shapes of fire with her staff.
The idea brings to mind Okami, except that the mores are predefined "drawings".

I like it.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Someone other than me thought of Delphox... I'm truly impressed, I thought I was the only one.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Someone other than me thought of Delphox... I'm truly impressed, I thought I was the only one.
Welcome then~ While you're glad that you're not the only one, we're glad that you've joined us! With the member base growing like this hopefully we can have a chance of some kind of getting Delphox in.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I actually thought up a moveset myself for Delphox a few months ago. If I can get my hands on my old notebook, I may post some of my ideas here. Now that I think of it, Delphox seems to be better suited to Smash than the Greninja we have right now.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I should correct a mistake real fast. Sorry I missed your post for so long, @Reila. Glad to know you're with us.

Also, @Nintendotard, the image link for your alt costume set isn't working any more. Do you have a link to it from outside Smashboards?

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
On the gender debate- I felt like the design was gender-neutral when I first saw it. I tend to associate it with female, but mine was a female.

Top Bottom