• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fixing Pits Horrible Rep.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Ledgecamping isn't a big deal. So long as you're on the same stock you can counter their ledgecamping by not caring. Bide time and rush them near the end of the match. More often then not the opposing player will get sick of his/her own tactic anyway. The only character that can Ledgecamp good enough to avoid this is Metaknight. But this is one of the reasons I feel he will become banned.

Also I believe I mentioned earlier this only really works with characters with Up-Bs like Marth, Samus, Peach, Metaknight, ect...

Coffee™

I need it....
Personally I don't see the big deal with Metaknights ledgecamping is. A lot of characters have fairly reliable ways of dealing with it and as you said it's only really a threat if they gain a stock advantage.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Metaknight is capable of a perfect ledgestall if you know what you're doing. Even imperfect attempts are impossible for some characters to overcome. On the East Coast it has been dubbed "Planking" and is one of the bigger reasons for banning Metaknight.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=5539

My blog of personal experiences which helped me become enlightened.
I think the "horrible Rep" repairing isn't necessary because it is a just or main concept of Pit.
Read the Blog, and post please, list questions or concerns here or there.

But i hope you understand why I think the way i do now.

Coffee™

I need it....
Metaknight is capable of a perfect ledgestall if you know what you're doing. Even imperfect attempts are impossible for some characters to overcome. On the East Coast it has been dubbed "Planking" and is one of the bigger reasons for banning Metaknight.
Yea, I've been following the discussion about it. Someone had posted a thread about it in Tactical Discussion as well. As far as a "perfect ledgestall" is concerned that is still character dependent. Not every character has a reliable way of getting around it but the majority of them do.

All in all ledgecamping or "planking" is just another "way to win" no matter how unfair it may seem. It doesn't directly break any rules set by the SBR and a quite a few characters can utilize it well. Metaknight maybe be able to use it well but its not a fool proof method to beating everyone once utilized by Metaknight as some people are making it seem. :ohwell:

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well the SBR doesn't "set the rules". Just to clarify. We only throw out a suggested rule-set. In the future I predict "Planking" will be against the SBR's suggested rule-set because Metaknight himself will also be against the SBR's suggested rule-set. Truth is, Planking should be illegal. But it can't be regulated and as you said, for a Metaknight player it's just another way to win. You can't take that away from them.

And yeah, there have been instances where people of far lesser skill have won tournaments against top players. Often times they have to go Metaknight to beat Planking Metaknights.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Useless Metaknight. If Planking (is it another term for ledgecamp?) is what they do, I'd simply arrow loop in the direction they're facing, and make the arrow hit them from behind. In addition, I'd be at a safe distance.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Metaknight can obtain a whole lot of invincibility frames while playing on the edge. Pit however is one of the characters that can get around Metaknight's various ledgestalling techniques.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Woah, you responded fast. Were you stalking me? O_O

And about Meta's Ledgestalling, Pit just has to shoot arrows, right, or attempt for Mirror Shielding? I personally would stay at a distance for arrows.

Coffee™

I need it....
Well even if he was banned I don't "Planking" ever will be per say. Other characters can do it as well like, Jigglypuff, Rob and Pit for examples. They can't do it to the same degree as Metaknight, but more or less it can still be done by quite a few characters fairly effectively.

Going Metaknight to beat an opposing "Planking" Metaknight seems uncessary. The only case that should warrant that in my eyes is if your specific character is completely unable to deal with "Planking". This whole thing just seems a bit overexaggerated.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's only because of stupid Metaknight's Cape which gives him more invincibility. Im sure if some1 was to edgehog like super fast, that will cost Meta a stock there.

Coffee™

I need it....
I belive IDC is banned anyway. Metaknight doesn't use the Cape when hes "Planking" though.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
lol Nah the issue with Metaknight is that most characters risk death getting Metaknight off the edge. Metaknight's Up-B against the stage can be an instant kill unless you're insanely confident in your ability to wall tech immediately upon being hit. Jiggs, Pit, R.O.B., none of them can boast that.

Coffee™

I need it....
Well most characters don't actually have to go off the stage to deal with Metaknight risking the stage spike. Just looking through the character list, quite a few of them can stop "Planking" with little to moderate risk to themselves.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm not sure you've seen how Planking works. The best players have issues with it. Heck Chillin lost to it not too long ago. It was ridiculous.

Coffee™

I need it....
I know how it works. I've even tried it for myself a few times.

This vid shows what it is like the last few minutes of the vid.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=awI8Zz1EIE8

It definitely is a good stragety and quite annoying, but i'm still of the belief that most characters have at least some way of dealing with it. Do you know who Chillin played when he lost to it?

edit: On a side note why is your name green?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
^^^^

people that go to the backroom get that name colored green.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
I know how it works. I've even tried it for myself a few times.

This vid shows what it is like the last few minutes of the vid.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=awI8Zz1EIE8

It definitely is a good stragety and quite annoying, but i'm still of the belief that most characters have at least some way of dealing with it. Do you know who Chillin played when he lost to it?

edit: On a side note why is your name green?
You missunderstand, that was not planking, that was just ledgestallin, Plank didn't Plank *wow* once in the video. Idk Why, I'll try to example in details what planking is. Correct me if I'm wrong but......

The Metaknight is on the ledge, immediately while dropping from the ledge, he uses Uair, He still has invincibility frames from being on the ledge so he cannot be touched, Than immediately after the Uair and the move is over, He Up+B, Shuttle Loops back the stage. And repeat.

That is why Undr said you have to trust yourself being able to tech a shuttle loop, because if you try to stop it and you mess up your most likely going to get shuttle loop'd into the stage, and stage spiked. For some characters that's an 0-death. And for pit he makes him really vulnerable because he will most like have to go into Wings, and running from a Metaknight isn't easy, Esp. on a stage like YI.

So unless your like Lucario, and can run off, and Dair and Out-Prioritize the Shuttle Loop there's almost nothing you can do. Your probably thinking you can run up and grab the ledge on his Shuttle Loop and he dies, But the Uair when dropping prevents that and you'll get hit by Shuttle Loop when he grabs the edges.

Also his Name is Green because he's in BR, different from SBR, I guess BR *out-prioritizes* SBR.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure marth can do it, and With a looped arrow, it'd be pretty hard to hit the exact time he's vulnerable. Plus it distracts and if your close to the ledge you could get fair'd

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
You missunderstand, that was not planking, that was just ledgestallin, Plank didn't Plank *wow* once in the video. Idk Why, I'll try to example in details what planking is. Correct me if I'm wrong but......

The Metaknight is on the ledge, immediately while dropping from the ledge, he uses Uair, He still has invincibility frames from being on the ledge so he cannot be touched, Than immediately after the Uair and the move is over, He Up+B, Shuttle Loops back the stage. And repeat.

That is why Undr said you have to trust yourself being able to tech a shuttle loop, because if you try to stop it and you mess up your most likely going to get shuttle loop'd into the stage, and stage spiked. For some characters that's an 0-death. And for pit he makes him really vulnerable because he will most like have to go into Wings, and running from a Metaknight isn't easy, Esp. on a stage like YI.

So unless your like Lucario, and can run off, and Dair and Out-Prioritize the Shuttle Loop there's almost nothing you can do. Your probably thinking you can run up and grab the ledge on his Shuttle Loop and he dies, But the Uair when dropping prevents that and you'll get hit by Shuttle Loop when he grabs the edges.

Also his Name is Green because he's in BR, different from SBR, I guess BR *out-prioritizes* SBR.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure marth can do it, and With a looped arrow, it'd be pretty hard to hit the exact time he's vulnerable. Plus it distracts and if your close to the ledge you could get fair'd
Nice little tid bit on MK, we are talking about banning him for UT so ill let people know what happens.

On Undr's name color, SBR are the people who make the rules and tier list, BR are all buddies BR is the same a making a social group. But you can choose what color comes up on your name I can swap between debater and tourny host at will and Undr can do the same with BR and SBR.

Coffee™

I need it....
I don't see how this is possible. If Meta uses Uair after immediately letting go of the ledge (when he still has his invincibility frames) he cannot Shuttle Loop to get back to the stage as he will not be low enough for the SL to regrab the ledge and he will instead start to glide above the ledge and on to the stage.

I can understand if you said Meta would do falling Uairs trying to stay close to the edge, but even if he does that Shuttle Loop will still on regrab on any ledge aside from probably FD and either way your still pretty close to the edge so there is a chance you can fly over the edge back on to the stage.

On Undr's name color, SBR are the people who make the rules and tier list, BR are all buddies BR is the same a making a social group. But you can choose what color comes up on your name I can swap between debater and tourny host at will and Undr can do the same with BR and SBR.
Oh ok, I just wondered what the color green meant since I know the other colors but I've only recently started seeing people using green.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Yep.

Yellow = Normal - You Lot.
Pink = Debater - Access to the Debate Hall.
Blue = Tournament Organizer - Hosts Tournaments.
Purple = Smash Back Room - Uh, Smash Back Room.
Green = Back Room - People that are better then you.

I switch between Green and Purple on a whim. Though if I had white... /daydream

ANYWAY, when all is said and done this is how it works. Metaknight is either invincible, on the edge, or in the Shuttle Loop. Unfortunately that's all there is to say. lol

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Yep.

Yellow = Normal - You Lot.
Pink = Debater - Access to the Debate Hall.
Blue = Tournament Organizer - Hosts Tournaments.
Purple = Smash Back Room - Uh, Smash Back Room.
Green = Back Room - People that are better then you.

I switch between Green and Purple on a whim. Though if I had white... /daydream

ANYWAY, when all is said and done this is how it works. Metaknight is either invincible, on the edge, or in the Shuttle Loop. Unfortunately that's all there is to say. lol
Hay im Pink and blue not you lot, and MK is a *****.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yes, MK is so annoying and rotton. Down with that broken annoyance!

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Yes, MK is so annoying and rotton. Down with that broken annoyance!
Don't forget Marth. There is a godlike Marth on my wi-fi and I have trouble killing him once in a three-stock match >_<. Pit has no chance vs a good Marth imo.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
They'll complain, and Pits rep is his rep, your arn't going to change him from an ***** archer into somthing he's not. Tell your buddies to get over it and if they can't get past a few easy to block, avoid, shield, spot dodge, attack, or reflect attacks; that they should take a step back and think WWJD.........block, avoid, shield, spot dodge, attack, or reflect!!!!!!!!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Or just say, "You're not ready yet!"
Pit will always have his great controllable arrows, and that's what makes him so unique.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Who cares about what n00bs say? I mean SERIOUSLY, make them join Smashboards; make them check out what good players say about it; then tell them to grow up. There that's all you have to do.

Top Bottom