• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Tourney as GaW

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Well...first tourney period.

Depending on how it works out I will be entering solo and with a D3 as a partner in the 2s bracket.

Not just for me but for any others who will be going to their first tournament. What are some of the things you wish you had known prior to going to your first tournament?

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
D'aw! Good luck!! You probably know more than I did when I first entered. I wasn't even on Smashboards.
But some goods tips are:
Go early and get AS MANY friendlies as possible and ask for help and tips! People will help you!
Money, you want to bring money! We go out for food constantly so money helps. Also, just in case if you want to money match anyone, too!
Make friends!
Uhm, try not to get nervous! You may end up getting nervous during your tournament.. When you play just think about like you are playing a friendlie. THis is another reason why friendlies help.
Have fun and enjoy yourself!

Not much Game and Watch tips but that could probably help! Trust me, people there at the tournament would probably be able to help you, too!

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
pretty much what today said. talk to everyone you can, get friendlies etc. Try not to be nervous if you end up playing a big name, stay in the mind set that you dont care who they are your just going to try your best. You should also change your main on smashboards cuz it says you main gdorf which to me is kinda a joke. Also try not to get nervous, when you get nervous you start doing really bad. oh and take a shower before you go. Theres already gonna be like 10 losers that haven't showered in months might as well not add to it.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
your first tourney as G&W is rough

i remember my first tourney i did so bad that it was just a complete horrible experience lol
try not to take it too seriously/have high expectations x_x

and talk to alot of people :O!!

VaJaJ

Smash Cadet
Don't listen to penta he can't tech lol go in there with the intention of winning and the highest expectation possible.
Play to win and play smart when u get nervous just breathe and plan out ur next move.

I'll be shocked if u win but after losing don't take it too hard cuz it's ur first tourney.

It's also very important to think back and figure out what your mistakes were and think about what u should have done in those scenario's. This is how u will improve and become more experience, it's all about experience. GL

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol highest expectation works too but it depends on how you take a loss in the end .___.

yes,it is VERY important to think back
for me,im always thinking about my tourney matches that entire week after the tourney to see what i can improve on xD,i can remember em all

AND I CAN TECH NOW D:< !!

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
I am one of the ones providing a Wii, and I am going to get the hack that allows me to record replays of any length so I can rewatch my matches, and maybe post them here.

You should also change your main on smashboards cuz it says you main gdorf which to me is kinda a joke.
Play a good GDorf sometime. Hell, even practice as him. I expect to do well as GnW simply because of all the time I played as GDorf. The practice you get at defensive playing, spacing, and patience as GDorf could benefit almost all non-GDorf players if they picked him up for a week.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
My first tournament was very abnormal, I came up, cleared my head and ended up finishing 7th/40, and beating two members of the PR.

It was my second tournament where I didn't make it out of pools that felt more like a first one.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
My first tournament was very abnormal, I came up, cleared my head and ended up finishing 7th/40, and beating two members of the PR.

It was my second tournament where I didn't make it out of pools that felt more like a first one.
how did you place 7th one tourny and not make it out of pools the next one...300th post btw ;)

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
he probably got too confident. or maybe the nines weren't on his side that time.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman

PR? And as for big names, I really do not know many, so I think I am safe there.

EDIT: I need a new sig....****it...

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
I'm strongly considering going to my first tourney ever this Saturday, and I main Mr.GaW too. My problem is that I've been away from Brawl since last summer with few games between now and then, and recently started playing again.
Excuse my newb, but where's the thread with all of the ATs listed? Was it deleted? O_o
There's a lot I don't know and I also don't have too much competitive experience... there's a lot to learn within the next few days!

Also, this tourney is the same one that he's going to:
Good luck and may the nines be with you.
Yes, that tourney.
I don't wanna pay $15 and just get beat, but at the same time I don't wanna miss out on a tourney so close by!

/hi-jacked thread, sorry.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
I'm strongly considering going to my first tourney ever this Saturday, and I main Mr.GaW too. My problem is that I've been away from Brawl since last summer with few games between now and then, and recently started playing again.
Excuse my newb, but where's the thread with all of the ATs listed? Was it deleted? O_o
There's a lot I don't know and I also don't have too much competitive experience... there's a lot to learn within the next few days!

Also, this tourney is the same one that he's going to:

Yes, that tourney.
I don't wanna pay $15 and just get beat, but at the same time I don't wanna miss out on a tourney so close by!

/hi-jacked thread, sorry.
no matter what tourney you go to your gonna get beat by someone unless your like ally or m2k etc. So your pretty much paying 15 bucks for experience, new friends, and youtube videos. You do spend a lot of money on tournaments but if you stick with it you end up making some of it back.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Protip: Go straight G&W for this tournament.

I recommend this over trying out secondaries as you can get the most experience with your main this way, and it's easier to find out your trouble areas. Messing around with secondaries to deal with characters you may or may not have trouble with is just going to mess your game up more.

Now, that said, don't expect to get to a money making spot unless the tournament is small, and/or you have a lot of experience from online or something. Don't let this get you down as you're here to get better and have fun. You don't need to make money straight away.

Anyway, good luck, and rep G&W the best you can mate.

Oh, and TRY to get friendlies in BEFORE the tournament (though after is good too, but warm up is more important). I regretted my first tournament where I got no warmup and performed badly because of it.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Question: Friendlies are fine throughout the tournament but aren't always recommended because you need to be on time for every match, right?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
You should do friendlies before the events, inbetween, and when an event needs less TVs than are available. Don't try and play them right as Singles starts or whatever lol.

But to answer your question, don't try and do friendlies while you are still in an event. You dont want to miss your name being called.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
the only actual AT is like Bucket Break. lol
the rest of the things are pure mindgames/skill/experience.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Kind of, but...

spot dodging, planking, whatever it's called when you quickly turn around and Bair, etc.
At the very least a terms and names guide.
I'm just wondering what happened to the thread that used to be here like that.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
I do not think I will have a problem going all GnW. The only other character I know the ins and outs of solidly is GDorf...ya...I do not think that I am going to pull a win against a marth or a diddy with him. And it is the same tourney Untamed Beast, the Hatian Relief one right?

Really, I am going for the fun, new friends, youtube videos, etc. but also to see just how well I place. I really am curious to see how I stack up to the brawl community hereabouts.

As for warm up, the night before or morning of, play around in training mode on 1.5 speed. Spot dodge whenever you feel as if you should have rolled (shield + down instead of Shield + left or right), planking shouldn't be hard because of how good GnW's Up + B is, and just try new things. It is like lifting weights. Once you are done you will react faster, tech better, and in general play better because you are used to the 1.5 speed.

My friend Bagu (not sure if he is registered on SWF...) and I are going together, so we are going to get a bunch of matches in the night before.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Question: Friendlies are fine throughout the tournament but aren't always recommended because you need to be on time for every match, right?
Before is best. When my pools matches/tournament matches started I never did friendlies. Just because the T.Vs are mostly needed and there are just generally no time for friendlies during the tournament. It's also rude to take a T.V for a friendly when someone can be playing their tourney match there. I suggest watching your pool matches or watch the person you have in brackets to be more prepared. Or use that time to ask other people about the characters you have in your pools. For example, if I know I have a Marth in my pool I will ask a Marth player or a person with general knowledge what I should counterpick and watch out for Marths and what to do. I suggest you do the same!

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
@Magus-Cie: Nope, it's Phase 5 near Dallas (this Saturday!). Out of curiosity though, where's the Haiti Relief tourney going to be at?

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Ah. The Haiti Relief one is up here in the bay area. I would love to go to Phase 5, but just too little in the way of monies right now. And free time.

I do not think the Haitian relief one is going to come through. I hope so, but I do not think it is. Besides, the new Capcom vs game came out and I am looking forward to playing that...

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
DDD. We practiced a little bit the other night. It was...interesting. I will say though that we learned 2 stock tanks is not a good idea.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Well, had some fun and all in all it was an eye opening experience.

Firstly, got in 3 hours of friendlies before the matches started up. Got shown exactly how predictable I was and all the holes in my gameplay, but after those 3 hours of practicing against a larger player pool I became noticeably better while picking up a few tricks.

Long story short, I got some mistakes punished (I no longer roll so often) and learned some cool tricks (recovering onto the stage with aerials instead of GnWs usual ledge options) and lost both my matches 2-1 last hit last stock.

Good learning experience, can't wait until the next one.

Top Bottom