• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Footage of Roy and Ryu Found In Leak!

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Woot! One of my favorite characters in smash, Roy, is coming back!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
More Fire Emblem! More Power!

And Ryu in SSB4 is cool, but unfair. He has so much more fighting game experience.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Ugh, a new update and still no custom moves for Mewtwo or any of the new DLC characters for that matter... I'm really pissed off. I was so sure Mewtwo's custom moves were going to be talked about in the Direct presentation and added in this new update after that Sakurai did once again another interview without mentioning this issue. Guess I just was naive, but as a custom user (not 100% custom user, but still) I feel like Sakurai gave me a middle finger. I originally got over no custom moves for Mewtwo as it seemed stupid for me to just ditch them unless Sakurai's team is somehow too busy to take the time to make them and as such I was so sure they were an originally low priority thing they would add as soon as possible but nooooooo, it looks like they're actually some fully disposable burden they can't even take themselves seriously.

When Mewtwo was released I was super hyped, but my hype deflated to below bottom level when I realized he didn't have custom moves, the one thing I was the most curious to discover about him, something I fully expected for him to have. It's like adding new characters to a game with two main game modes, one with only one default weapon allowed and the other with several alternative choosable weapons, except for the fact that new characters only get default weapons. The worst part is that they don't even bother mention it anywhere else in official material, just like if it was something perfectly normal and that you should expect, or just some bonus and not an integral part of each character's identity. I'm sorry, but when you promote a such gameplay feature in a Smash Direct, on the official website, on pics of the day, on the back of the game's box and even in-game, there's no excuse to just ignore them without explanation. It screams laziness, overall lack of polish (just because you care about polishing everything else doesn't mean it's overall polished), and horrible handling of DLC. After how much this gameplay feature was promoted, seeing DLC characters lacking the ability to benefit from it without any official word anywhere else makes me feel downright scammed, especially as someone who cares about it. If I want to properly enjoy Smash 4 with customs I can't use those characters who because of that become downright irrelevant to an important part of the game. (And no, just equipments are not enough.)

I admit custom moves are not flawlessly handled in Smash 4 and there's valid criticism about them, like not having the possibility to easily and quickly choose them from the CSS is an issue for example, and I admit some of them are kind of poorly designed, but I and many other people enjoy them for what they are and consider them as a fully established part of each character's identity. For people like us, DLC characters lacking custom moves downright removes part of their overall enjoyability compared to characters from the base game. And again, why should we expect a such major gameplay feature to not be a thing for DLC characters without any official word asides from the game itself?

Maybe custom moves for DLC characters weren't made because time constraints, maybe technical issues we don't know about, or maybe they actually see them as a disposable gimmick and just didn't care, but for something that otherwise has no reason to not be in considering the standards set by any promotional material and the base game itself can we at least be informed about that? It's like cutting the Ice Climbers how they did in SSB4, a unique character many people saw as a Smash mainstay, except that Sakurai would remain silent about why they got axed.

At this point I'm borderline fine with DLC characters never getting custom moves. I just want official words from Sakurai or Nintendo, explaining why they'll never be a thing. Of course I'd much rather see DLC characters actually getting the custom moves they deserve, but if Nintendo explicitly tells they're never happening I think I'll eventually accept it, sure reluctantly, but at least I'll stop complaining about that. Whatever the reason is, I think I'm going to accept it, even if it's something I disagree with, but keeping being silent about that is the worst thing they can do. But at least I want them to acknowledge the current situation as something that isn't completely fine and normal.

(Sorry for the salt, btw. I guess I'll still enjoy those new characters for what they are, even without custom moves.)

Last edited:

Frank Ploegmakers

Smash Cadet
I must say, I am happy for the roy and ryu entry in the new smash, but I am a bit dissapointed that there are always leaks in these days.

I saw this leak on fb and would rather see this info hyped in the mini-direct tomorrow.

I just hope that in the future, when I find out about the next dlc on smash, I see it on a nintendo direct. Too bad that's never gonna happen.

Still, I'm glad to hear those two are in the game.

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
yea, i already knew it when it got leaked :3, but i didn't knew that it was leaked by hacking, UN MOMENTO DE FUROR

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
FALCO CONFIRMED TO TURN INTO A DELICIOUS ROAST CHICKEN ON COMMAND
TOO MUCH HYPE

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
also, ryu in smash, quite easy answer, btw he appeared on alot of street fighter games for nintendo, and nintendo got some affiliation with capcom :3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Can all people that leak this stuff please go die now? Thank you.

Seriously we've got 3 Marths now and Capcom has more representatives in 1 iteration of Smash than Sega has had in 2. What the flip has this world come to...

This will be my only post here because I'm not wasting my time about stupid stuff like this. Leaks suck.

Last edited:

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Can all people that leak this stuff please go die now? Thank you.

Seriously we've got 3 Marths now and Capcom has more representatives in 1 iteration of Smash than Sega has had in 2. What the flip has this world come to...
Smash DLC is not finished yet, you know...

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
It's bittersweet that the appearances of Roy :roymelee: and Ryū have been prematurely revealed before their debut, but it'll be interesting to see how the returning Melee veteran and the Capcom newcomer will fare in Sm4sh.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
I've officially gotten both of the characters I wanted, Lucas and Roy. I haven't watched the videos to keep from spoiling myself fully but I can't wait to see how they get announced. My hype can't be contained.

Cr@zy &nger

Smash Rookie
NNID
crazydylan123
3DS FC
1332-8755-9018
I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT RYU IS ACTUALLY IN THIS GAME
I'm not that hype for Roy but i have to admit, it's nice to see him again.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Ryu will SO be my new main!

And while it's awesome to have Roy back, I find it weird that Fire Emblem has 5 reps, and a series like Donkey Kong has 2...
Fire Emblem has like 15 or so games and is a very big franchise in Japan so it is not surprising besides it is 4 reps as Lucina is just a glorified alt.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not sure if anyone has pointed it out here yet, but some of the leaked new songs are from Rhythm Heaven. New stage anyone?

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
It'd be much better if leakers just stuck to leaking mechanic-change details. Learning Zelda's Farore's Wind becomes weaker but faster is not going to rob anyone of anything. New music or stages is iffy territory, so that's up in the air. Learning a new character is being made before it's announced, however, shouldn't be allowed. The leakers stole *the* moment Sakarai/developers would've had if they were the first to announce the surprise reveal. Leaking this kind of stuff extremely rude and robs the developers of the moment they worked for. :T

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Given Daisy was the Smash series' first alternate costume as she appeared in Melee as an alternate costume for Peach that had a lot of subtle differences, I'm just shocked she wasn't made an alternate for Peach or given the Dr. Mario/ Lucina treatment.
Well, I mean, yellow Mario was always a thing.... Daisy color came too late to be first.

WrappedInBlack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PyroJayBlack
3DS FC
1736-3220-0909
To those of you questioning Ryu in smash due to his lack of association with the big N, I'd like to remind you of one thing:

:snake:.

Hardly any association, aside from his older games from the 90's. And before you say "he was in a remake on 3DS!", let's not forget Ryu was in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on Wii. Just about as relevant.

And as for Roy... Sakurai just threw him in for free. Probably won't even change him at all, aside from the visual facelift.

Honestly I have no attachment to either character, but I'm not bothered that they're in. I'm just glad to have more fighters at all.:)
Also street fighter 4 is on 3ds

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
At least, it's fine for Melee fans but I still don't see the point of adding Roy to this roster... We already had 4 FE characters and he won't add any original things to the gameplay.

And Ryu, I'm not hype at all for a character who has so little link to Nintendo and comes from another fighting game. Basically nothing great to expect for his gameplay.

Now, I'm just hoping there won't be only Wolf after that 'cause I want to see an ORIGINAL character :/
Without Street Fighter, there would be no Smash. Sakurai is paying his respect to the first true competitive fighting game.

Gah this community smh

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Is there a comprehensive list of all the new things?
Wii U hack.png

New Songs:

Blue Birds & SaruDokei from Rhythm Heaven (Miiverse?)

3 versions for both Ryu & Ken's themes

A new Ice Cream Island Remix.
Planet Popstar from Kirby 64.
Fountain of Dreams (Melee) - Probably means it won't return as DLC
Dream Land 64's Theme (Gormet Race)
Forest (Kirby's Adventure, is the remix from Air Ride, will be on 3DS)
Green Greens (the version from Melee?)

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
>people who still doubted the dumped 3ds sound files and are buttmad that they actually confirmed the characters months in advance

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Since Capcom is getting another character represented in Smash I wonder if the other 3 companies will.

If Bandai Namco gets another rep I think it would probably be Klonoa or Lloyd.

If Sega gets another rep I don't think it should be another Sonic character (although me being a fan of the series), I think it would be NiGHTS, AiAi or Billy Hatcher.

Last edited:

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
Since Capcom is getting another character represented in Smash I wonder if the other 3 companies will.

If Bandai Namco gets another rep I think it would probably be Klonoa or Lloyd.

If Sega gets another rep I don't think it should be another Sonic character (although me being a fan of the series), I think it would be NiGHTS, AiAi or Billy Hatcher.
Metal Sonic! Please Metal Sonic!
Anyway he would be a Sonic clone, but still would be great

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea why all of you have your panties so far up your butts, this is friggin' awesome. And even better, Ryu's stage isn't some old, retro bulls**t, like I previously theorized.

If anything, this exceeded my expectations. I'm also looking forward to how Roy will fit in the upcoming Awkward Zombie comics. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Top Bottom