• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Ever Mass BiWeekly!!!! May 19th - Also There Will be HALO 3 BETA TESTING!!!

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Game Universe
1251 Worcester Rd
Framingham, MA 01701
(508) 370-4263

Date/Time:

Saturday, May 19th
Singles begins at 2:00 PM
Store opens at 11:00 AM

Rules:

Standard MLG Rules, you know the deal. We'll be running singles and then teams if we have time.

This venue should be pretty sweet. They are going to be having Halo 3 Beta running all day. So you should all come just to check out Halo 3 Beta. They have arcade games, including a few DDR machines. There's no fee to get in the building. This should be a lot of fun.

We are going to need to bring our own setups to this, so anyone who can bring a TV, cube, wii or copy of smash, please let me know. My goal is 10 setups or 1 setup per 3 people.

TVs are definitely the most important thing. If anyone can bring a TV, so long as it's a tube TV, size and age doesn't matter. Please bring a TV if you can. Please, please, please. :p

For all you guys in the Boston Area, who don't have rides. Please post in the thread or send me a PM and I will find you a ride. There should be lots of people who have cars that would be willing to pick you up from a T station or maybe even from your house. So please try to find a ride.

Also you can take the commuter rail to Framingham as well and we can also organize rides from the train station to the venue.

People Looking for Rides:

Anyone who needs a ride should just post in the thread and I'll add you to the list. Hopefully someone could volunteer and we can work out getting rides for people.

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
Definitely going to this, I can supply a cube and game and memory card (As a backup, cards are occasionally overlooked).

I wondered what prompted them to run a 2v2, since they've never run one before. This explains that.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Well it's good that people can bring cubes and smash, but I think TVs are more of the necessity. Especially since they already have a few Wiis that we could probably use.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
I added a section for people looking for rides in the first post. If anyone needs a ride, just post in the thread, and I'll add you and your location to the list and maybe we can get you a ride. :)

peter is cliche

Smash Rookie
mostly storrs with a dash of massachusetts
I'm really hoping I can go to this, I can't commit any set-ups since I'm not a definite. Don't want you guys counting on a cube or game you might not have. I'm really glad to hear this is going to be at least a monthly thing, means I'll get my smash fix once a month haha.

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
uh, I can bring my mini-portable screen, its attached to my gamecube anyways. Nobody likes to play on it anyways though, since the sky in FD gets really bright and it's impossible to see anything (especially shines and marth's fair).

I think I could bring a computer monitor with A/V input, assuming I can get my friend to come (It's his screen).

Also, Halo 3 Beta = win.

Also, Singles and Doubles are $5, right?

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
Hey can someone bring recording instruments. The only vid I have of myself is me losing to kdj in a crew battle and watching yourself lose sucks.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Hey can someone bring recording instruments. The only vid I have of myself is me losing to kdj in a crew battle and watching yourself lose sucks.
I can bring a VCR, but I don't have any sort of cable splitter to get it onto a computer.

Good point. We need to see who out there can record that ****. :p

Driz

Smash Apprentice
I'm definately gonna try making this sounds awsome, Smash and Halo 3 Beta it doesn't get any better. I live in Watertown,Ma and may need a ride but at the moment i'm unsure if it will be needed so put me on the list and I'll update my situation when I know more

kirchinator

Smash Rookie
i believe at the top it said no fee, and im pumped for bubble shields in halo 3 and maybe beating some people in smash. i can't say how tough the competition is going to be, but it would be nice to have other good people to play, because the only person im up to level with is the 1st response to this. this isn't him. this is his friend. see you all on the 19th!

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like fun, I'll see if I can get a ride, great job.

Just a note sorry but I couldn't find anywhere in my town for a biweekly.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
I know for certain there's a fee, but I forgot how much the guy said it was gonna be. I think it was 5 bucks for singles, but I'm sure that no fee was mentioned for doubles. (Though there will be a fee for doubles of course) I'll call him again tomorrow to find out.

I'll try to get him to raise the fee to 10 unless everyone would rather just keep it at 5 bucks. Personally I'd like to see it be only 5 bucks, but that's cause I'm a cheap *******. :p

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
The entry fees have always been $5 since they started having tournaments here (AKA since the store opened), and it's the cost they have on their site.

And yeah, leave it at $5, just so those of us who aren't going to win don't have to blow $10.

AJiggaG

Smash Apprentice
this sounds sweet...too bad i wont be able to go to this. ill go to the next one tho

btw I live in ashland if anyone wants to play sometime

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Hey Everyone!

This is Jamie the Store Manager of Game Universe in Framingham! I just wanted to introduce myself cause this is my first post on Smashboards...

We have had Smash Tournaments at the store before but I wanted to make sure we have all of the "issues" worked out before we started something bigger or posting anything official here.

The main problem people have had about our Tournaments is the lag caused by the Plasma TVs we normally use. By having people bring in CRTs it should completely fix the only negitive thing people have mainly said about our tournaments....

I hope everyone can make it on the 19th!!! I appriciate all of the help we've had from the board members in making this happen!

We will continue to have 1 Smash Melee Tournament a month at our location on Rte 9 in Framingham!!! It's a $5 entrance fee for each Tournament.... Also the Halo 3 Beta Screen rental is $5 per hour. We give out store credit prizes for our tournaments but we carry all systems from NES to PS3 so I'm sure you can find something you'd want.

There is more info on our store page www.myspace.com/gameuniverse

Thanks!

Jamie

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
Sup Jamie.

Also, can I assume this is 2/3 double elim? The past GU tournaments have been 1 round only until the finals, but since this is starting earlier...

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Jinx has a good point. If it is cash = half of store credit like PlayNTrade does, then I'd rather the store credit. >_<

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm.... OK here's the thing with the Cash. I have to have more employees on to cover for having so many people in the store. I have done Cash prizes before for other tounaments but it ends up being WAY less money than if I give out Store Credit...

With Store Credit it assures me that we will be making some profit from hosting a big tournament... We need to keep our store open in order to run cool tournaments. When we do Store Credit I usually give 100% of all entrance fees back out as Store Credit. FYI we carry new games old school stuff... TONS of stuff gamers would want.

That being said...

With Gears of War and Halo we have had a Cash Prize Tournament as a reward for people attending our tournaments regularly... If the Smash Community can prove they want to come out for our Tournaments, in a few months we will have a $10 entry fee Cash prize Tournament.

I hope alot of people make it out on the 19th!!! We will be doing monthly Smash Tournaments under this format if that's what people want!

See you guys soon!

Jamie

Top Bottom