• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Come First Serve Early Pre-Orders

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Spoke to my GameCrazy yesterday. The conversation went as such:

Me: *walks in*
Employee: Hey, how can I help you?
Me: So, you're releasing Smash Bros. at midnight?
Employee: Yes, did you pre-order?
Me: Yes..
Employee: (Worried face)...How long ago?
Me: Um...about three weeks ago I guess.
Employee: So you pre-ordered before February 25th, right?
Me: Yeah I pre-ordered around the 1st of February, why?
Employee: Yeah um so you should be okay, it's just that we don't think we'll have enough the first day..

Ruh-roh Raggy.

Looks like you last minute-pre-orderer-ers might be screwed.

PS: I forgot what else we talked about-

Me: So will you be getting any demos for the game or what?
Employee: We were supposed to, but no, Nintendo is not releasing any demos for us to use. You'll just have to wait until release.

M.K

Level 55
There is no way, why would they promise you a pre-order without first checking to see if you have adequate # of copies.

Either your Gamestop is really lazy/uncaring, or I will eat a pencil.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
That's why I am getting it at midnight from a store that does not give preorders.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I hope things will be okay for everyone who has pre-orders. I know I'd hate to go to the store at midnight and hear ''Your copy has been sold." :(

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
There is no way, why would they promise you a pre-order without first checking to see if you have adequate # of copies.

Well technically "pre-order" just means you're ordering yours in advance, and you get first dibs. But the people who did it before you get first dibs before you I suppose.

I'm just glad I pre-ordered it on time XD

iluvwobbuffet

Smash Cadet
Well, I guess those that pre-ordered at GameCrazy after Feb. 25th are screwed.

I just called my Gamestop to address this whole "shortage of copies for pre-orders" thing, and the employee says that Nintendo guarantees everyone who pre-ordered a copy on the night of the midnight release.

Those who went with Gamestop are safe.

*does a dance* =^_^=

Peaquak

Smash Rookie
Before i changed my major i was a business major and i swore they couldn't deny you a copy on the 9th if they took your money as a pre-order.

There are 3 types of contracts from my understanding
written contracts.... sign this la la la
Verbal contracts which must have a 3rd party witness
and an exchange contract... you do this and ill do this

I would assume pre-ordering would fall under an exchange contract. Once they accept your pre-order $5 or whatever it was they have accepted the contract of issuing a copy of brawl on the 9th.

If they can however my guess is they have a loophole which is probably just that they will give you the copy when they have them and the 9th was no way part of the deal.

JusticePS

Smash Rookie
I've always had excellent luck with getting new releases at Best Buy in the morning, so I almost never preorder anything. I was going to go to a midnight opening at a Best Buy near here, with my closer Best Buy as a fallback in the morning, but I don't have to worry about it anymore since I'm getting it tomorrow.

I've never thought that preordering guaranteed you a copy. Retailers have very little control over how many they receive by the release date, and when I've asked in GameStop about different games before, I've been told that even if I preordered (at the time), I would probably get something by the 3rd or 4th shipment (might have been for the Wii, I don't remember). As opposed to if I didn't preorder, I probably would never get a Wii.

So I just camped out by my grocery store that was doing a midnight opening for the Wii, and got it that way.

D

Deleted member

You obviously aren't very familiar with how pre-ordering works. Things like this have happened many times before. Are you new to gaming or really young?

They specifically say they do not guarantee you a copy at launch if you read the fine print. And you can always get a refund at any time.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Actually, my friend at Gamecrazy explains it. They can't control how many games are sent. What Nintendo does have the stores send in a rough estimate of how many preorders they're getting and Nintendo decides how many they'll send and tells them before shipping. So it's not the stores. It's Nintendo holding back so that they'll have normal sales and not just preorder figures.

Edds

Smash Ace
well i ordered mine from video game plus on the 4th of feb. but i still have to wait another week for it to come here in england

Nowfist

Smash Apprentice
First Come First Serve is a b****, thats why you go in early and just ask them to give you a copy, they won't say no unless they run out, but if you're far ahead in the line, its nearly impossible. An employee is not allowed to not sell you a game.

Thats what I'm doing, I preordered early in February and I expect my copy sitting there even if its not my preordered copy.

kellerdood32

Smash Cadet
well you cant blaim gamestop... if its anyones fault its nintendos, how are they supposed to know that nintendo wont ship enough.

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
I pre-ordered Brawl the first day you could pre-order it at Gamestop. And it was actually just a coincidence, not my rabid fan boyism... for once.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
I don't think Gamecrazy is great on orders.
We have a Gamestop around so it's not a problem for us.

When my cousin preordered his Wii at Gamecrazy, they only had 3 at launch.
My cousin was pissed.

I honestly don't trust Gamecrazy with preorders.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Luckily I pre-ordered the game at Gamecrazy in August 2006. =)

billywill

Smash Journeyman
well I pre-ordered at gamecrazy but i pre-ordered way back in oh say...November so i should be ok right?

mukai013

Smash Rookie
doesnt gamestop guarantee your copy for the first 48 hours?
i preorded in january so i think im fine either way..

J18

Smash Journeyman
i preordered in november from bestbuy, it's payed in full, and it's being delivered to me. i think i'm pretty much gauranteed one of the "first" copies

WoodyDave

Smash Apprentice
Pre-ordered when I picked up my Metroid Prime 3 pre-order when it was released back in...sometime during the summer.

I better be safe

Top Bottom