• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

firebird stall

ryguy_

Smash Rookie
hey guys,

just wondering, what are the benefits/uses of using the firebird stall

would you use it as an edgeguard?

thanks in advance.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
It's a flashy way of renewing invincibility. If you're hanging on the ledge and waiting for someone to recover, you can either drop and jump back up, or be flashy and slightly faster by firebird stalling. It's good if you time it so that when you regrab the ledge, the opponent is recovering toward the ledge so that you don't get hit but they get edgehogged. It works pretty well vs Marth, but over all it isn't that useful IMO. Zhu would probably disagree, but w/e. It looks cool though, so why not use it?

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
Witchking basically answered your question... but this is what i do. i forward smash somebody of the stage--> let's pick fox for example, i run/wavedash 2 the edge of the stage, wait til my invincibilty frames are over with and w8 til fox starts his recovery... when he says.... HI-YAAH... that's when i start fire stalling... i dont know how any body else do it, but that's how i do it... b/c i dont want to mess it up.... it does wonders against zelda/mr. gaw/pikachu/pichu/mewtwo/ fox (occasionally b/c his fire burns) and that's basically the people i play against

if you didn't know this little fun thing... if you ever fight against a yoshi... when he use his second jump... you (only falco) can plink him out of it... well i've tried with fox... it dont work like that... he just eat right through it... or maybe it's a different timing thing... not sure yet... but i mainly plink yoshi with fox b4 he starts his jump

technomancer

Smash Champion
Yeah, falco's shine interrupts Yoshi's second jump no matter what

A perfect firefox stall retains invulnerability and is good for when you get on the ledge too soon or if you are edgeguarding Marth or Sheik or something to make him recover on the stage.

Miharu

Smash Hero
It's a flashy way of renewing invincibility. If you're hanging on the ledge and waiting for someone to recover, you can either drop and jump back up, or be flashy and slightly faster by firebird stalling. It's good if you time it so that when you regrab the ledge, the opponent is recovering toward the ledge so that you don't get hit but they get edgehogged. It works pretty well vs Marth, but over all it isn't that useful IMO. Zhu would probably disagree, but w/e. It looks cool though, so why not use it?
It's harder to time constant ledgehopping to retain full invincibility. However, once you can flame-stall consistently, it becomes a nifty tool indeed.

A nice thing to do is to flame stall until the Marth is getting ready to upB, then you can do a ledgehopped bair right after he uses his 2nd jump. It requires some fast reflexes and good timing on your part, but is well worth it.

You use flame stall to force them to upB through you and onto the stage, where they're easily punishable during their afterlag.

Lorcl678

Smash Apprentice
Wow, if you're too lazy to even search "firebird stall," no one's going to bother helping you. You're pretty much saying "TELL ME HOW TO DO IT PLZ," "I DON'T FEEL LIKE SEARCHING FOR VIDS OR THREADS SO TELL ME NOW PLZ," "WHY IS EVERYONE MAD AT ME WHEN ALL I'M DOING IS BEING LAZY AND COMPLAINING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S ATTITUDE WHEN I COULD JUST DO A SEARCH THAT TAKES ABOUT 5 SECONDS." Seriously, just use some common sense and no one's going to harass you.

lolomgwtfbbq

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't mean you shouldn't explain to me what I don't understand
Just shut up now. You obviously had enough time to make pointless posts like the first one so next time use that time to actually read through the thread.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Firefox stalling is dropping from the ledge then IMMEDIATELY up-bing to regrab the ledge. You won't execute the full up-b (no "Hiyaaaaaaaa!"), but instead you'll just re grab the ledge as fox drops a little during the startup.

Next time use the search function, also flaming is bad kids.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I took a page out of zhu's book, and now Illusion stall. Makes for some pretty sick/lucky spikes every once in a while.

Top Bottom