• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

kr3wman

Smash Master
Ah yes I remember.

Nephenee... Just rolls on the tongue :X

I didn't mean to say that she was bad in RD, just that I heard that she wasn't as good as she was in the first one, comparatively.

But I never played the second, so yeah, I shouldn't really talk :X

Meorksies

Smash Cadet
Trueblade is my favorite class, and I think Edward has the best potential of the class from what I've seen in my plays. Mia's good, I once made Lucia good though it took some work, and I've never been able to make Zihark good in RD no matter how hard I tried, despite the fact I've heard most people say he's the best of the class. He was great in PoR, though.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
I like Edward; he kills.
I always use this guy and he is worth it, but I think Nolan is better <_< give him provoke when you vs the goddess and you only have to heal him every two turns, or just spam fortify with hammerene. Sadly edward does not work to well when you go for a hard mode <_<, when its hard mode dump edward and only focus on Nolan.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Regarding the trueblades of RD, this is my opinion...

1) Edward...

2) Mia...

3) Zihark...

4) Stefan...

5) Lucia...

Meorksies

Smash Cadet
I always use this guy and he is worth it, but I think Nolan is better <_< give him provoke when you vs the goddess and you only have to heal him every two turns, or just spam fortify with hammerene. Sadly edward does not work to well when you go for a hard mode <_<, when its hard mode dump edward and only focus on Nolan.
Nolan annoys me. He was amazing in my first playthrough, but every later one I would try to upgrade him again and he just... wouldn't. I think my main thing is the first time he had great defense, but never again. Though I have to admit I've only played through three times now and am yet to try hard, so I'm not one to talk.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, Boyd >>>>>>>>>>>> Nolan in terms of usefulness. I could never get Nolan very good, even though I tried. Boyd? I turned him into a freaking monster with ease that guy. Meloves Boyd. x3

He's really funny, looks cool, and is just plain awesome.

Also, no one had anything to say about my recolored Ike?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
BOYD! He's so awesome, he's my avatar! One of my best units, too. AWESOME in terms of strength, speed and skill.. at least, mine was. And screw defense. He has tons of HP. Just give him a Dracoshield and it's all gravy.
He was #2 in my party. The only unit that came remotely close to Ike.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
So far I have played RD way to many times, and Nolan and Boyd end up pretty similar. Nolan has a tad more defender but Boyd has a little more attack. So far Nolan can go on a rampage and so far has gotten the most amount of kills in my game everytime.

Boyd and Nolan are pretty equal. Just give Nolan some stength boost and Boyd some defense boost and you should **** with any of these two.

The main reason I use Nolan is because

1: he is one of the few good characters in the begining of the game

2: He takes a good amount of hits while most of the beggining characters can only take two tops.

3: I like his character better for some reason

4: His beard is made of one of chuck's hair and god's tears

Also for those that ended up getting a crappy Nolan, then the game dosen't like you or
Nolan dosen't like you <_<

Here is Nolan stats http://www.serenesforest.net/fe10/average/nolan.html

Here Is Boyds Stats http://www.serenesforest.net/fe10/average/boyd.html

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
I still think Boyd rules. He's hilarious, he's good-looking, and he's just awesome. Oscar is awesome too. Yay for an awesome pair of brothers. XD

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
For those who say Magic characters are weak, take a look at this:

Best magic user ever, hands down in the US version Fire Emblem, IMO. =P

Super Touhey

Smash Cadet
I found that pretty much every character worth using in FE:RD was gonna at least get close to capping each important stat. I also found by looking at endgame stats that pretty much everyone fell in this category. So for me, it all came down to who was useful throughout the whole game and had enough time to level up, while not so high leveled that they sucked up experience. Miciah's team didn't have a whole lot of time to level up, so they weren't quite as useful until the endgame where everyone was 20/20/20.

The laguz were either ridiculously broken (kings) or somewhat of a liability (everyone else). The thing that really bothered me is that they don't gain much exp when transformed, which is the only time to safely fight. The kings however were so good, they made all of the humans look like crap. I ended up deciding to challenge myself and not use any of the kings in the final chapters of the game.

One last thing. In future fire emblems i think enemies should not be allowed to get criticals. Especially when they're as strong as in radiant dawn. I always reset when i lose a character, so this is kind of annoying to me. On hard mode at the end of part 2, I had calill above the stairs fighting off snipers, which worked well until one came along with 40 hit, and 1 crit. Managed to pull of that critical and kill calill at the end of the battle of a stage i had already tried 20 times. I cried. I'm sure some of you have similar stories.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
If you ask me, the enemies in RD weren't nearly as strong as in SD. In RD, its not too hard to go thru it without losing anyone. In SD, I lose somebody every three chapters. On hard, its impossible to go thru a chapter without losing someone...

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely adore Fire Emblem. My experience with it thus far stems from Radiant Dawn. As a strategy game, it fascinates me. The death of characters builds both an emotional connection and great tactical caution. Much of the game hinges on the player making the perfect move; considering deeply every possible angle and statistic, and often taking risks in order to attain victory without casualty. It's an amazing formula, with so much possibility and replayability. The rest of the game also intrigues me, and I see strong potential for further polishing and innovativity throughout - I seriously prefer the game's plot and characters over Final Fantasy, despite having a significantly weaker narrative and lower production values.

but I have a serious love/hate relationship with the fandom. Mostly on the grounds that a lot of hate seems to be directed towards characters that really don't deserve it, and...well, strategy in general.

dragonblooded said:
Ah, Edward! He's easily my favourite character in the entire game. His personality (okay, what little screentime it has) is endearing, and he is the perfect unit to train; tricky-to-average at the start, but stick with him and he becomes an absolute monster. He's I-Wanna-Be-The-Guy incarnate, and boy does he become The Guy. Edward vs. Ike duels at 3-13 are easily one of the highlights of all my playthroughs. I really don't understand why there's so much Edward-hate, even for Hard Mode, as I'm taking him on my second hardmode run presently (I'm at 2-2) and those Begnions absolutely hate the pest.

Micaiah is an interesting case for me - she seemed average at first, but she has only grown on me as time goes on. On my first runthrough, I wasn't overly impressed with her; I didn't hate her or anything (hating units is pitifully petty IMO), but she didn't stand out too badly. Then when I took her on my second playthrough, she tore everything apart. When it came down to my first hard mode run, she wasn't even trying half the time - and when Part IV came in, she was absolutely ridiculous with her power and dodge rate. In my current run (much like with Edward), going through the game again on hard mode, she's not even pretending that it's hard. She's easily my best magic user, and one of the game's finest without question.

I've had a similar case with her character, too. At first I found her void of emotion and given inadequate opinion. Then I ran into the freak occurrence of (gasp) an actually good fanfic, and with that the notions of personality in her suddenly burst through the seams. Seriously, the only bad things I see about her are that she has an awful portrait, and that they could have expanded her relationship/opinion with Ike a lot more. If RD hadn't tried to be so ambitious with its limited budget and development time, I'm confident she'd be getting a lot more praise. They ended up wasting a perfectly good protagonist. :/

Dy17

Smash Apprentice
My favorite characters are Hector and Lyn. Theyre the best characters. Fire Emblem got boring to me once the put it on gamecube and wii.

§leepy God

Smash Master
How can anyone get board out of the Fire Emblem games that was 3D, 3D fighting people. Does that not interest people? -_-;

§leepy God

Smash Master
Um... you can speed up the game when you go to options, you can even skip the 3D fights, lol. I don't use it because I love the 3D fights, but speed up the character movements.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
SD was the only Fire Emblem game were I felt like letting my units die, but I didn't <_<

Nolan> Boyd I have no idea why but I like Nolan more. I try using Boyd a few times and he ended up almost the same. They both **** and I might as well use Nolan as he gets most of exp in the first few chapters with the DB

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I LOVE Fire Emblem; it is my third favorite Nintendo series after Mario himself and Super Smash Brothers. I liked PoR better than RD (the only two that I played) primarily because I liked Ashnard much better than the various villians in RD, the fact that Radiant Dawn had a few pointless chapters that just pointlessly extended the game (only the second and third chapters in PoR really felt pointless when I started a new playthrough), and Radiant Dawn is grossly imbalanced; I will NEVER use Fiona or Makalov since there is not enough time to train them.

Unfortunately, Fire Emblem will NEVER be noticably popular because I can't imagine Nintendo giving Intelligent Systems a large enough budget to greatly increase the production values and the fact that the gaming public is gravitating towards online multiplayer games (if they are something other than Zelda or Mario), something that is simply not naturally applicable to FE, given the current formula.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
My favorite Fe characters are Edward (RD), Mia (RD), Soren (RD), Marth (SD), and Caeda (SD).

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
How can anyone get board out of the Fire Emblem games that was 3D, 3D fighting people. Does that not interest people? -_-;
I know! Fighting in 3D looked way cooler! Especially Boyd's critical hits in RD lol. Those were really cool. Ike's Aether owns too. If he didn't bring Aether with him in Brawl, I wouldn't know what was going on in Sakurai's head when he put Ike in. XD

D

Deleted member

I love Beck from Shadow Dragon. He was one of the last 3 units in SD (I suck I know) and he pretty much single handedly beat the last level (Besides Nagi killing the boss).

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. They were more interesting and cool in 3D, imo. Everything looked better in 3D, imo. They were more in proportion. Castles and buildings weren't as big as your units. >_>

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I loved playing both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I've also played Shadow Dragon, but I don't nearly feel as attached to the characters in that game like the other two. My favorite characters, in order, were:

1.) Brom (Awesome character, like the stats.)
2.) Nephenee
3.) Haar
4.) Black Knight

I could keep going, but I think I should stop at there. The game is incredible, along with the music. Love "Crimean Sortie", and whatever the title is for the intro of PoR.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
WTF Brom?
I didn't even bother with the poor guy. Not once.
Nephenee, though. Good choice. She's mah gurl. One of the three.
Astrid, Nephenee, and Ilyana. I would even name my daughter after Ilyana if I had a daughter. (Her name is actually the first thing I liked about her and the first reason I started training her-- and she just happened to turn out even better than Soren. Barely.)

Top Bottom