• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: Awakening Mafia | GAME OVER: Not Equal To The Challenge

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
These comments are all from the Green Room, so they're all my commentary as I was watching the game (which means I have the "I know the setup" glasses on):

For the record, I don't apologize for trying to shoot you, but I do sympathize that real life interfered with you playing the game as you would've liked to. Sorry to hear you're going through ****, hopefully things improve for you.

Kary's playing pretty well right now, I feel.

I feel like someone in the thread should have enough flavor knowledge to know that only Chrom and Lucina can use Falchion, so there should be no panic about scum having it or not.
Ruy trying to throwwwwww.

Why would you try to shoot Xastrn this early in the day? It pains me when Ruy tries to be "in charge" in games. He doesn't have the clout for it.
I'm astounded that FML is so BLATANTLY playing armchair and with no direction/contribution whatsoever and getting away with it.

I mean, I KNOW it's because I know what the alignments are, but when Zen and FML are literally sitting on their ***** after 3 Town deaths, SOMEONE SHOULD NOTICE. ;_;
Oh god why do they want to shoot Ran? WHAT?
This is why we're dead, Raz. It'll be okay.
I'm dead because they wanted YOU dead. :(

I would've switched you to the front if I knew they were gonna shoot me just to get you in the SAME NIGHT.
Things NOT looking good for FML.

This hydra/private convo business is hella greasy though, I'd have restricted them solely to paraphrasing.
Kantrip has seen the light!

Dabuz not looking good with this recent defense of FML if FML ends up getting shot.
Dabuz's (relative) inexperience is showing a bit here.

His quick flip on stances doesn't look the slightest bit natural. When FML gets shot, that's going to be a huge red flag.

I tend to be of the opinion that (as scum), defending a scummate up to their death is almost always better than a super-late bus once the noose is already around their neck. This assumes that you're able to make the read look sufficiently natural.

Townies are wrong a lot, so I'd rather see them die clinging to a natural-looking read than flip-flop as the Town's direction changes.

ESPECIALLY since Dabuz hasn't produced much content otherwise.

If a hypothetical Karyscum was doing so, his would look a lot more natural given how his read progressed over the course of the day.

Thoughts on this idea, other dead people/mods?

How do you typically approach the impending death of a scummate?
Xastrn is woefully inept at trying to meta the mod. That's such an easy safeclaim to give scum.

He's hell-bent on insisting the role MUST exist therefore Zen is Town, but there's no reason the role has to exist at all.
I wish I had the foresight at the time to warn you about hydra logs/pairing chat after I quoted from my chat with Ryker.

This is rather disappointing to see things go down in this manner.
Isn't Rake their goon?

I'd have cut him loose.
Damn, Scum is going super hard on this AtE.

Jesus.
I don't understand how Red Ruy can possibly be coming to the conclusions he is.

Why is he SO SUSCEPTIBLE TO AtE?
Holy **** I wish I was still alive to shoot somebody. None of the Townies still alive know how to actually reel in the catch.

Rake was super floundering but they held off and now they might not shoot him? I don't even.

If you're a Townie who's alive and you have a gun and a hard scumread, and a Town-read on the guy the OTHER person with a gun wants to shoot, I pull the trigger every time.

I'd rather take the shot myself and be wrong, than let someone else make a shot I thought was wrong.
I can't believe Ran seriously got shot.

Kantrip VISIBLY had wind of Zen going balls-out to defend FML.

I don't even. Like, I could MAYBE understand shooting Kary or RR or like ANYONE ELSE, but how in the name of god do you come to the conclusion to shoot Ran?

More importantly, and also answering that question: WHY WOULD YOU SHOOT WITH THE MAJORITY when like 1/3 of the game is scum?

Like, maybe defer your shot to someone you're town-reading super hard, but not to the majority!

I sure hope Town can still win this.

I have to run out the door now, so I'll provide context and overall comments later, but I'll put this on the table for the moment.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
Oh hey I just realized that I was right about Zen's claim not clearing him.

JUST IN CASE THAT WASN'T PAINFULLY OBVIOUS FROM THE START

GJ though Zen, don't know if that was a safe-claim you had or what
no he basically made it up. We caught the crumbs and zen did the rest after we pointed em out. In fact, my convo with orbo was basically:
"Hey, wtf is all this odd and rhythm stuff going on is xasts posts. I bet you he;s an odd daykiller"
"I'll check it out but mention it in the scum convo"
"well **** your right"

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

What I'm taking away from this game is not to listen to the majority.

I hope Xastrn has learned a humbling and valuable lesson on trying to meta the mod and speculate pointless crap.
I did say actions were more telling than reading :3

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

I want Zen to know I was incredibly close to shooting him. Like, I had a post with the bolded command to shoot him as soon as Kary separated, then faltered and told Sokr to quickshoot him instead if Ran flipped town. I was mostly scared of the chance of being wrong and having town jumping on me for making an individual decision.

I also came incredibly close to shooting FML. Fuuuuuuuuuck this game
Never be scared man. Seriously, sometimes you just have to ironclad your testicles and do something.

I wasn't scum bsing when I said actions were better. Like, look what happened late D2. I got sick, orbo disappeared and instead of just shooting us with that momentum, you waited till I was able to go in and go on a absolute posting rampage.

Raz touched on this too, there was so much FML momentum, I was so scared the entirety of that posting spree that one of you was gonna be like : enough of this BS !! and shoot me

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Red Ryu - played bad.

Anomandaris_Rake FullMetalLynch - :mad:: u dair defy Death Bear! Nah you had this, this is revenge for that game you lost due to afk people.

Honestly it all hinged on the early play, when I came into Walmart Orbo's position was already dicey and the legwork to get it back up, I only managed to get about 2/3's of the way there. I don't think you played bad either, everyone basically thought I was town within two dayphases, which was my plan coming in. I'm really happy with how I played because it's super hard for me to fake all my town jumpiness and reads ideas and all that effectively. Of course it wouldn't be a scum game of mine without me forgetting / messing up my claim or getting caught up in some sort of shenanigans( chat logs this time). Haha

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Oh hey I just realized that I was right about Zen's claim not clearing him.

JUST IN CASE THAT WASN'T PAINFULLY OBVIOUS FROM THE START

GJ though Zen, don't know if that was a safe-claim you had or what
iirc all he had was yarne, not the role info

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
no he basically made it up. We caught the crumbs and zen did the rest after we pointed em out. In fact, my convo with orbo was basically:
"Hey, wtf is all this odd and rhythm stuff going on is xasts posts. I bet you he;s an odd daykiller"
"I'll check it out but mention it in the scum convo"
"well **** your right"
iirc all he had was yarne, not the role info
Circus' list of roles (#2019) begs to differ.

Still, Zen played the role very well. Role? Claim. You know what I mean.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Death Mountain - You were right I was wrong, I'm sorry. I misread intentions majorly here and it screwed us over.something about how you worded yourself made me thing you were scum. But that is all on me, I take 110% fault on you dying.

No worries man. It happens to me too sometimes (like in Walmart, I had pjb as town as you did). I'll just say keep it in mind in the future. I'm not gonna attack some lurker just for lurking, and it wouldn't mean I'm just scum being opportunistic. Unless I'm being like I was in scooter pilgrim or something. I was looking at Dabuz's intentions too. So he was scum, and he must have just been fluffing it up to look good. hehe

You seemed to have a problem with me because scum used that strategy to attack Dabuz in Walmart mafia (where I town read him lol), and that's when I saw that you might be town just having a problem with me. So I was conflicted with shooting, I didn't wanna shoot you and then be quick shot the next day.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

was gonna post me and orbo's talk this game but f that it's way too long, and i'm too lazy.
GG.
Not gonna do shoutouts right now cuz lazy

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
I still stand by still on quoting Hydra logs, there is a very key difference from quoting one person's notes and a chat log.

there is a very huge difference from a person talking with another in a hydra and a single person talking to themselves.

Circus, this should have been a modkill. Hydra's can break a game and confirm their intentions by posting to another person within their own hydra, same **** happened in Bingo mafia, 3 man hydra quoted chat logs and got cleared as a result. I don't get at all why this crap is allowed. Any decent mafia player can see the intentions within a hydra, you can't fake this **** without being a 5 star writer, I instantly went from scum read to town read off this single chat log. That is very damn telling and I'm absolute garbage at mafia.

It's not fair to single players who can''t do this either, a hydra can use these tactics to manipulate or change the game, solo players cannot. That breaks the game in fair play. I don't care what alignment the hydra is, the fact a solo player cannot do this is enough for me to say this should not be allowed.
Agreed. This should be banned from all games from here forward.

We don't like it, but it was allowed so we worked with what was allowed.

I have WAY more to say, but I have to be somewhere. I'll notify Xatres that the game is over and we can post more in our usual accounts.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
Well... that was unexpected...

FML/Zen definitely get the MvP.

@Zen: Freaking ballsy to fake-claim and gamble on whether or not the no-kill ability was true. We didn't breadcrumb that at all, and it could have ended very badly for you if you had guessed wrong. Dastrn and I went into D2 ready to have your head for the Soup mislynch, since your support for our case was just so........ overly enthusiastic. How did you guys even know we didn't have a counterpart out there who could CC you?

@FML: You played town like a fiddle at the end of D2. We had you dead to rights, and you managed to get everyone to second guess our case. You guys are fun to play with (though a little frustrating).

@Soup: The reason we didn't believe your claim was simple: If your claim had been true, we would have expected you to play a completely different game. You said yourself that you chose to hide and avoid giving any firm reads, which while protecting you from likely NKs, also made you look scummy as heck. I feel like being given an unbreakable weapon should have encouraged you to volunteer to hammer at every opportunity, so that town could save weapons. Given that you had basically chosen to do the opposite (and told us we were misguided for even suggesting having a designated hammerer), I couldn't see how you could be telling the truth.

All that being said, you might have lived if you hadn't flipped out and tried to kill Sokr.

@Ran: I don't really like your style of play in general. You've said in the signup thread (and proven both here and in Walmart) that you think tunneling one player relentlessly is a great strategy. Having read Walmart, however, I've seen how that works out when your target is town. I was very disinclined to trust your case against dabuz because of this. I personally had a town-read on you up until you welcomed Rajam into the game and then let him play 10 pages behind the rest of the game. At that point I just thought your play was just ridiculous. Still would easily have preferred FML die rather than you, though.

@Circus: Not terribly thrilled with how the setup shook out. We talked a lot about what we thought would have made the setup balanced and gave you the benefit of the doubt in many areas. Seeing how the game ended after only two mislynches, however, tells me this was still WAAAAY swingy and unbalanced. I loved the ideas you had in place, but I think there could be significant improvements if you ever decide to run a similar setup in the future. Also, sorry about the chatlogs. :c

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
@Zen: Nevermind, just read your safeclaim.

@Circus: So... not only was town not given ANY information roles, but we were set up to have potential misinformation via false pairing as well? Yeesh.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Rake and i were figuratively squealing like little school girls every time someone said fml strongest town read.
Also dabuz pinned the flavor mad hard

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Man, I have a lot of other little thoughts spilling out. Like soup saying 'there's more to it than that' on page 2 being a huge PR signpost.

Stupid question, but why shoot me, scummers?

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Man, I have a lot of other little thoughts spilling out. Like soup saying 'there's more to it than that' on page 2 being a huge PR signpost.

wifom and it was between you and sokr. Took a gamble on you being the other sword dude

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Not so much wifom as eliminating weapons won us the game. If we had shot a lancer then we were giving ryu an extra weapon to use

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Oh prs didnt have **** to do with it. RR we knew couldnt be killed by us. So it was between yo and sokr and we figured you would be more likelyy to qs us before ryu did

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

Basically to get rid of the last sword user. You were shot over Sokr because you were more of a threat.

Out of the remaining town

Ryu (Lances)
Pot (No weapon, tomes)
Xast (No weapon, beaststones)
Kary (???, either swords or lances)
Sokr (???, either swords or lances)

Assuming the worst case scenario FML shoots Kary and Kary is Cynthia (lances). toMorrow Ryu kills FML and picks up the lance, Zen NKs Sokr.

Ryu (Lances)
Pot (No weapon, tomes)

Ryu kills Zen, picks up a bow, sword, and tome. I can't NK because i'm behind Ryu. Ryu gives Tome to Pot.
Ryu (No weapons, Lances)
Pot (Tomes)

I have 1 attack BP so Pot uses Tome and it breaks, GG.

Also, if Kary uses Swords, it goes like this. During the Day, town has:

Ryu (Lances)
Pot (No weapon, tomes)
Sokr (Inigo, swords)

Ryu or Sokr kill FML, either way kill Sokr so he an't use Falchion.

Ryu (Lances)
Pot (No weapon, tomes)

I separate and pair with Zen telling Ryu I want to get a read, Ryu kills Zen, picks up Lance, 1 tome. I NK Pot.

Ryu (Lances)

Ryu attacks me, lance breaks, GG. This is assuming worst case scenario where both FML and Zen are killed in a row.

I don't know how I did this game. I don't think I did that badly, but I was way out of my comfort zone from the moment D1 ended.

My reads didn't really settle D2, and I had doubts about both you and FML basically because you were pushing me :/
Yeah, you seemed aimless this entire game. Despite that you played well, only major thing to work on is push slots you dislike a bit harder, you definitely could have impacted the game a lot by doing so.

dabuz - You played me here, I was trying to figure out if how you were playing was a result of skill, school and other factors. I misread it here, this will not happen again, but you for a victory off it. You played your part well. I wanna ask how you went about trying to manipulate me, you did it very well and I wanna learn from it.

Side note, your Dragon Knight advice helped me ****s ton in Dota2, I've been winning a lot more in Dota2 with it.
I wouldn't even say I manipulated you until we were paired up, where I just threw out a few vague reads and acted like I was thinking about the game. (Even then it amounted to nothing because we didn't play D3.) This quote is applicable to your play.

I'm enthusiastic of shooting the guy that's already paired up and hugging someone and is loved and is protected forever and ever.

Thing is, you fell into the same trap I occasionally see you falling into. You like to whiteknight people hard and when it's a scum (like I was), it's very easy for scum to sit on their butt and let you keep them from death. Literally all I had to do was nod my head to your meta counter-argument and Ran/ DM didn't have anywhere to go on pressuring me + it made you look bad. Even if I were killed, you would have been red flagged due to your defense. BTW, you based my play too hard on older meta, as town i'm a lot more confident in my direction now and if you read Walmart D1 that's clear. In all honesty I just didn't know how to approach this game as scum and decided to twiddle my thumbs and stay under the radar knowing that a 1 shot BP with (presumably) only 1 player capable of killing me would be enough to clear myself as town or at least buy time for scum NKs.
As a sidenote, glad to hear that. Feel free to ask me if you need to know anything else about Dota2, I have a pretty good grasp of most heroes in that game.
  1. Scum couldn't attack during the Day. In the original setup, this was made abundantly clear in the OP. Marshy suggested leaving it ambiguous instead. In light of the way the game played out, not sure that was best. Part of me still likes that idea that players who Daykill get cleared, but (in most cases) lose their weapon. Would love to hear thoughts on that.
The game naturally led to players figuring out scum can't attack during the day anyway, so I don't think that needs to be clarified in the OP unless this setup is used as a newbie game.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I'm taking away from this game is not to listen to the majority.

I hope Xastrn has learned a humbling and valuable lesson on trying to meta the mod and speculate pointless crap.
Noted.

I hope you don't ignore a confirmed scum and make a speculative shot again to win the game for scum.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Noted.

I hope you don't ignore a confirmed scum and make a speculative shot again to win the game for scum.
He wasn't CONFIRMED, just very very damned.

I don't think Potassium/Kantrip deserves blame for losing this game. For that matter, I don't think ANY one person deserves blame for it.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Rake be spiteful. God we bicker like a married couple lol
Raz be right. Nothing confirmed us scum and scum won moreso than town.lost

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Xastrn: You'll get a lot of heat for your playstyle this game, and although I think some stuff is justified, I think some other things aren't. For example I don't care the mechanical approach, neither the pressure you put on inactives, and in some way, I think you did a good job on getting the game moving. My critique would go by the focus on some surface level analysis you did on some players, and your 100% rely on your guess on game design (clearing Zen). Try to be more adaptable, and read more intention behind what people is doing (or not doing) more than the content of posts themselves.
Here's the thing. We focused on intention, and everyone tried to hush us the entire time. We talked about WHY certain players would have been killed N1, and NO ONE wanted to explore it.

Imagine being a real cop in a real town trying to solve a murder. You would look into motivation, opportunity, and things like that. NO ONE seems to like to do that in mafia games here anymore, and it makes us frustrated.

I think Zen's safeclaim was a horrible decision by Circus, to be honest, and with respect. I was going to the bank with that check because it's such a clearly poor design to give us the even day thing, and to focus our role PM on our relationship with Nowi as opposites, and then to not have that opposite be town, or even exist at all, for that matter.
THEN to put it in a safeclaim is doubly damning for town.

Just the pure fact that we were in MyLo day 2 suggests that this setup was completely broken in scum's favor. There were NO PRs of note. No cop. No doc. No information roles is just BRUTAL. Allowing scum to kill 2 people in 1 night (even once) is brutal. Most BiM games have 2 cops, and we had 0 ( negative 1, in fact, if you consider the Zen factor ). Circus, love you man but this game fell apart when you designed it. I tip my hat to you for trying something new, and I wish I could say it was good design, but it was flat out bad. I'm sorry. I wish town hadn't played like ****, because then maybe we could have salvaged it.

The Zen safeclaim is just one piece of that, but let's be fair: town SUCKED this game. Soup exploding RUINED day 1. Potassium and Kary refusing to shoot FML RUINED day 2. Kary and RR tunneling me with their fingers in their ears WASTED half of Day 2, and had we not done what was allowed by ultimately shouldn't have been (chatlog), we would have been killed simply because town played horribly.

I'm glad scum won because town did not deserve to win. People didn't communicate with any sort of rationality. AtE and OMGUS were the rules of the game for town. FML was able to stir up enough **** trigger more and more trouble. I wish I could give a MVP vote to someone, but honestly, FML did not play well, and was obvscum. It's only because town sucked that he got away with it. The best thing he did was to flip out and stir up controversy and post a million times there when he was at risk, and get the more emotionally driven players (RR, Kary, Potassium) to start second guessing everything and make a stupid lynch instead of an obvious one.

Rough game. To be honest, Xatres and I couldn't wait for it to end by mid-day 2. I wish I had more positive things to say, but I just don't.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Dude Zen wasn't even Nowi and you read way too far into your role PM. You focused too much on speculation and got burned for it.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
We played well enough to not get shot and presumably influenced the ran shot and i personally helped win the game NA wise so dont say we sucked lol. You even called us strong town early on.
Plus
We killed all the right people at the right time. Scum outplayed town and zen and FML led that.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Dude Zen wasn't even Nowi and you read way too far into your role PM. You focused too much on speculation and got burned for it.
+1

Also, Xast, you act like you were perfect this game. IIRC your reads weren't correct until that case on FML (agree that your case should have been an open and shut on FML.) You had both Zen and me as town reads. You were also the only one to clear Zen based on the safeclaim, it's faulty logic because well, safelclaims exist for a reason.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Red Ryu, I cannot promise you that I will not get angry. You need to stop looking at my anger as some sort of tell and take it at face-value instead of postulating on theories as to why I'm angry. It's why you scum-read my anger because you instantly assume that I'm trying to appeal, when in reality I'm just ****ing pissed and I feel the need to blow some steam off in the fashion of censored words and caps-lock. I will be angry as town. I will be angry as scum.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

. It's only because town sucked that he got away with it. The best thing he did was to flip out and stir up controversy and post a million times there when he was at risk, and get the more emotionally driven players (RR, Kary, Potassium) to start second guessing everything and make a stupid lynch instead of an obvious one.

Rough game. To be honest, Xatres and I couldn't wait for it to end by mid-day 2. I wish I had more positive things to say, but I just don't.
Nah, we got away with it because we were damn townie till seperation, and even in all of that, your case was: He doesn't think we're town because we showed him fb logs. Not in it's entirety, but this is where you put the emphasis when I read what you were posting.

Yes, you had logs, and yes reading them it was clear you were likely town or just very dedicated scum, BUT you used them in a scummy fashion IMO, you said, and this is basically a quote "It should be obvious from those logs that we are town", basically / essentially "We should be obvtown cuz chat logs", or something to that effect, and you kept acting and posting that those logs affirmed your townieness, and while I admit I didn't think you faked them, if I was legit town, and saw you posting about how those logs absolved all evil, I'd feel very dicey on you, because that is scummy play even if it's true, because your abusing a rule not in place to better your own position and MAKE people read you as townie, which because it looks like your concerned with thread positon / opinion on you(things scum worries about), makes it look scummy arguably from my POV. And yes i "flipped out", but the entirety of it was faked and mostly ad-libbed planning / counter pointing you as best I could, which ended up working. We were too townie D1 for the type of pressure you were putting on us. Plus, my million posts, all were still nota entirely terrible defense, yes they had AtE and such, but that was because that's what they needed to have.

You needed to focus more on how our waffling was scummy especially with you and our Kary reads, and how opportunistic our read on you had been, especially because we essentially dropped you right at the precipice of towns displeasure for your slot.

RR's conflicted attitude when you take D1 into play is completely understandable, we were just strong enough early to allow a bit of derpy play to make it a toss up. I wouldn't contribute towns loss to any player sect in perticular, I think Orbo and Raz hit it on the head, scum was simply better prepared than town was.

We made the right plays at the right times and were rewarded for it.

I think your hydra did well, but you need to try to be more friendly an open feeling to people, even if your style is mechanical, you have to make people like you in a sense first, so that they get your angles.

A very true fact is that town will always be the faction that is town, is willing to butt heads with itself and argue in circles needlessly, and waste time that way, while scum wants to waste time setting things up and getting Ml's going and the rest. Personally I've found that, if someone is willing to clog the thread buttign headds with you and get in your face, its' TvT between the two of you, but of course neither person doing so wants to give up ground, so they never become self aware to that fact

Top Bottom