• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Breath.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Once again Liquid Gen here to spark life in here.

"Hey, that's Liquid Gen, the only guy that does anything on the Bowser Boards!" - Pervatasaurus (lulz)

Anyway, here: Foire Breath discussion go. to start, here:

Fire Breath:

I. Damage Racking
-1. Constant Fire
--a. DI'ing problems
--b. Counters to DI
-2. Fire "Spurts"

II. Spacing Techniques
-1. B reversal
-2. Wavebounce

III. Application
-1. Full Hop
--a. Full hop B-reversed
--b. Full hop wavebounced
-2. Short hop
--a. Short hop B-reversed
--b. Short hop wavebounced
-3. Fire Wall
-4. Koopahopping

IV. Offstage
-1. Ledge Dropped
-2. Gimping/Fire combas

V. Videos
-1. Contant Fire
-2. DI'ing the fire and counters
-3. B-reversal and wavebouncing, full hops and short hops
-4. Firewall, koopahopping
-5. Ledge dropped, and fire combas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Damage Racking

Fire breath is commonly noted by less experienced players as "cheap" or something to that effect due to its damage potential (around 27 damage per 3 seconds). This is not untrue.

-1. Constant Fire

Fire breath can cause massive damage just by holding down the b button as the enemy is inside of it. However, the enemy can easily DI out of fire breath greatly decreasing the overall damage.

--a. DI'ing problems

Many characters can simply DI out away from you while inside the fire. This is generally safe for you, and them as well.

However, many characters can DI in towards you and use and attack while you're breathing fire. This is why constant firing isn't that great.

--b. DI Counters

Many characters, as stated previously, can DI in and punish fire breath with an attack. To counter this, see how they prefer to DI first. If they DI inwards and attack, end the fire breath early, and punish their attack (EX: Snake's bair from DIing in). This will make them think twice about DIing that way again.

If they DI away from the fire, they will not be able to punish you if you end it immediately after that. You are both set back to neutral positions.

If they DI inside and pop up behind you, you can end it early as well, though you may still be punished (only a few characters can do this, I believe).

-2. Fire Spurts

Fire spurts are similar to that of ending fire early. You basically just poke the enemy with the tip of the fire with a tap of the B button; do not hold it down. It will mess them up and their spacing.

II. Spacing Techniques

-1. B-reversal

B reversal is the process of doing your neutral b move the opposite direction that you are facing. It is performed by pressing the control stick opposite of the direction you are facing and pressing b (be careful, let the stick return to neutral before pressing b). You keep the momentum you have while you are in the air.

-2. Wavebounced

Wavebouncing is similar to that of b-reversal, except that:

-Your momentum is switched to the direction you input.
-you press the b button first, and then push the stick backwards.

III. Application

-1. Full Hop

These fire options can be mixed with koopahopping, explored later.

--a. Full hop B-reversed

The name is in the title. Simply do a full hop, and buffer a b-reversed fire. This is great for catching people off guard, and setting up for a fire wall.

--b. Full hop Wavebounced

This is good for mixing it up; you run away, and start flying towards them with 1000 degrees Fahrenheit of pure awesome.

-2. Short hop

--a. Short hop B reversed
This, along with short hop fire breath, is more effective against grounded people (like Snake). It makes contact with them faster and gives them little room to maneuver.

--b. Short hop wavebounced

Amazing for messing up with offensive characters, best used out of a retreat.

-3. Fire Wall

This is named by Vex, theorized by us both. This is basically a full hop fire breath, but aimed to shut down air and ground approaches.

-Full hop.
-Start fire.
-While rising, aim the fire up.
-Right before you hit the ground, press down on the control stick.

(video)
-4. Koopahopping

This should be obvious; using the full hop techniques out of koopa hops to keep yourself unpredictable and such.

IV. Offstage (the main reason I started this)

-a. Ledge drop fire

Used to return to the stage from hanging on the ledge with fire breath. I believe this is also called "return fire".

-Press down.
-Quickly jump forward and press B.
-You should land near the edge breathing foire.

-2. Fire gimping/Combos

This is mah favorite thing ever. I prefer the combo aspect more, but the gimping can be useful as well.

I won't write to describe these... The videos Ill make will explain it all. =]

This is obviously a WIP.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I try using all of these (minus return fire which was a bad idea when DiasFlac suggested it and still is) except I do a pretty bad job of it, lol.

You're missing the ground B-reversal on there, which allows you to dash away from your adversay -> firebreath in his direction, you do it by tapping the direction immediately after pressing B.

Edit: Nevermind, you called that wavebouncing. I usually associate wavebouncing with B-stick'ing a reversal side-B which makes your character short hop.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Firebreath is more than cheap. It's *really* cheap.
Needs more BUI and pictures.

Pictures only because I want to see Bowser spewing fire even when im not actually playing the game.

Sliq

Smash Master
I wish Bowser shot those slow moving fireballs from SMB3 instead of firebreath. Then you could do awesome tricks and stuff, like Venom from Guilty Gear. It would be awesome, since then Bowser would have a projectile and an awesome setup and shield pressure tool.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I wish Bowser shot those slow moving fireballs from SMB3 instead of firebreath. Then you could do awesome tricks and stuff, like Venom from Guilty Gear. It would be awesome, since then Bowser would have a projectile and an awesome setup and shield pressure tool.
HELL YEAH.

Just imagine sending like two and then rushing in with a lagless fair or grabbing.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
Homing fireballs from mario64 would be a nice touch. Blue fire would be total win. Ganondorf has purple flames, charisard has classic red fire, seriously bowzer needs his own legit fire hue and it should be blue if not pink for lulz

Sliq

Smash Master
I think Charizard should have just had Fireblast. Big ol' weird fire symbol flying at your head.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
I love Gimping Fire. Especially against Snake, although it's probably smarter just to grab him as he's using cipher.

JOE!

Smash Hero
i usualy use fire to edgegaurd...as in just space it off an opponent on the ledge.

to get up they have to get hit by fire.

shenannigans then ensue :cool:

Top Bottom