• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finding a good Venue in Austin, TX to host the next tournament!

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
Hey, whats up.

I know we got an Austin scene here on people who play Brawl and other fighters, however it such a shame to see Austin not have many (for that matter, any) tournaments on any games in the longest time.

Last time's tournament I can think of that was well advertise was at a place known as Tek Republik (on late February). However, the venue was not big enough to hold the amount of people who joined up for each fighting game, and it can no longer be seen as a very good venue.

So lately, I've been out and about searching for a new venue, but any offers that have been shown don't see to have the ability to hold as many people as I expected.
With that said, wondering if anyone out there have any info or any ideas on good venues around Austin. Once a venue is found, I should be able to work something out and start hosting up some tournaments once again.

But until then, I have no idea where to continue my search.
This will really help out the Austin scene ;o

So with that said, post up your thoughts and ideas on trying to find a new venue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I will look around some of the suburbs and north austin for a venue.

DaJib

Smash Rookie
Maybe somewhere in UT?

I'm out of town right now so I cant check.

gab3

Smash Rookie
this is highly relevant to my interests, I don't fancy driving out of town. I think finding a venue in central Austin will be pretty tough which is a shame. There should definitely be an Austin tourney before summer ends though, that would be awesome.

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully I should have a tourny before summer ends.

Until then, I won't start finding a venue until late June.

So with that said, if you guys have any kind of hints or info on a available venue, post.

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
if any of yall go to UT, I've seen people rent out rooms in the UTC (University Teaching Center) for GH tournies ive been in. But they were school organizations/clubs so i dunno how well it would work for other people.

Besides, how many brawlers are there here anyway? I rarely find a good match.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Ok, I don't know of any venues in Austin, but I would definitely be down for some friendlies with people.
I live in Austin, guys!

Pneuma

Smash Ace
EDIT: Disregard this post, didn't notice you had already tried Tek Republic.
Also hello again SmashBoards.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
It's like you guys think we didn't try for the last two years or something...

Here's the problem with tournaments at colleges: 1) the rooms really aren't good for it, and 2) if you don't have a fixed sum cash payout, they'll drop you as a risk for gambling. It's *not* gambling, because it doesn't rely on chance and is actually a sport, but all the same, they'll shut you down. We tried that, too.

Just remember that it's not (only) laziness which prevented Austin tournaments.

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
Have you already tried the colleges? There's UT, Concordia, ACC, St. Edwards, etc. I'm sure one would have a gym or something big for a tourney.
Not just yet.

More or less, I'm thinking of checking random hotels that have some sort of "party room" I can rent for tournaments and see if thats possible.

But again, I won't be doing much of this until the end of this month once I get my stuff organized (personal problems).

In general, its alway good to keep an eye open and to see who out there has some sort of hint or info on up coming venues.

Now, there was this one smash player I was talking to about a venue at some church.
I'll get more info on that once I get a chance.

Please continue to post feedback if you'll can ;o

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
YMCA? I'll see what they can do, then.

Otherwise, haven't really looked hard just yet.
I've notified for a new job recently so my search should be begin sometime in July.

On other news with up coming venues, there is going to be a new arcade opening in Austin in late July.

If anyone is interested, I will post with more info on the place once the opening is a little closer.

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
There is always the D-Pad, which is like 30 min south of Austin.

And everyone loves the D-Pad.
Of course, but this time around I'm looking for something more convenient.

Suck of sucks, for a city like Austin you would think that finding a venue wouldn't be too difficult, heh.

Still, I finally got my lazy *** working again and with that said more money to come.
I'm willing to spend quiet a bit on a venue, but of course the cheaper the better.

With that said, I'll start searching around Austin to see if I can find a venue.

BTW, Lee.
At the tournament Final Smash, you told me a website that could make things easier to find venues. I forget the website, do you still remember what the site was?

Kal

Smash Champion
Lee, would D-Pad still host Melee tournaments?

TonyDpad

Smash Rookie
I'm sure we could talk about doing a melee tournament. If you think you can get a good amount of people to come, then I would just have to talk it over with my business partner.

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
Ah, its too bad we dont got a place like the D-Pad in Austin ;(

Oh well...
I suppose I can keep updates on anything I do find.

So far I got an idea on where to search on some venues, but nothing 100% just yet.
Might take me about a week or 2 until I find out something official.

Until then.......

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I think a pizza place like Mr Gatti's or Peter Piper Pizza, ones that have lots of open space, would be ideal. Dunno what they might charge (birthday prices lolz) but the long tables would be nice, no one has to leave to get food obviously, and they have other games to play when people want a break.

Only downer would be a complete lack of base setups, and there may be an issue with plugs.

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
Indie food places would work as long as its mainly one game so it doesnt require a massive amount of setups. I had recommended pizza places in the Waco thread and now they've got a venue (for free) at some restaurant.

That is one thing Austin has a lot of are non-chain eateries.

TonyDpad

Smash Rookie
Ah, its too bad we dont got a place like the D-Pad in Austin ;(

Oh well...
I suppose I can keep updates on anything I do find.

So far I got an idea on where to search on some venues, but nothing 100% just yet.
Might take me about a week or 2 until I find out something official.

Until then.......
Austin is kinda scary right now, but I have been thinking about opening one up over there.

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
Not too sure how many people are interested but check this out:
Arcade UFO in Austin is having trial runs to make sure all the equipment is working before grand opening.

So far they already had one, and there going to have one more a week before grand opening.
For more info, check out my current sig (the Snake pic leads to the Arcade UFO blog).

But here is the current info on the 2nd Trial.
Next Trial Opening - Details

When: Saturday, August 23rd
1:00PM-2:00AM

Where: Arcade UFO, 3101 Speedway, Austin TX 78701

Directions:

From I-35: Exit 32nd Street (lower part of I-35 split). Take 32nd Westbound until you hit dead end at Duval. Left on Duval, right on 31st. Arcade will be at the corner on your right.

From Mopac: Exit 35th street. Take 35th/38th Eastbound until you hit Speedway (you'll pass Guadalupe). Take a right on Speedway and follow it until you hit 31st, arcade will be at the corner on your left.

Parking: There are about 5 spaces available in our lot, and free parallel parking all around the neighborhood after 7pm (check the signs). Don't park at the other businesses or in any apartment complexes--you'll get towed!

There actually is a small Street Fighter 4 will be there ;o

Top Bottom