• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smash Activation...(Should they change it?)

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Okay first off, for clarity, i'm going to state how I think the controller for Smash 5 should work. I think L should be shield, R should be grab, Left button (Y in standard, B in split con) should be special attacks, Bottom Button (B in standard, A in split con) should be regular attacks, and Right button (A in standard X in split con) should be jump. Top button (X in standard, Y in split con) is up in the air depending on how development goes.

Now here's the idea. I'm a fan of Overwatch (like 35 million other people) and I was just wondering, while playing it the other day, whether Smash Bros. should alter the way characters get their Final Smash from hitting the flying smash ball, which is an item you can turn on and off, to simply having your final smash build up with time and damage given and possibly even damage received. Basically how Little Mac already gets his Neutral Special attack charged.

Of course I think it should be an option, whether you want the Final Smash to be the item or whether you want it to build up with action. And there should also be the option of whether being KO'd penalizes your ultimate attack meter, like with ultimate attack meters in Splatoon. And you should be able to turn it on or off either way.

What do you think? Would you like to have Final Smashes build up like ultimate attacks in Overwatch (or Splatoon where you get a reduction of your meter for dying) even with all the items turned off? I think it would be a good option to add.

I'm also considering another thing about Final Smashes. What if they made them activated not by pressing simply Y/Left Button (or B in previous generations) when you're glowing, but by pressing a different input, like both attack buttons (B and Y / Bottom and Left), or maybe a Smash Y, or possibly even the X/Top button. But with the X/Top button setup it would take up too many inputs for the split Joy-con.

Because how I figure joy-con control will/should work is A is physical attacks, B is special attacks, X is jump and Y is taunt, while L is shield and R is grab. Of course to solve this you could switch taunting to holding the shield button and pressing the B button and a direction, sort of like how you can access grabs with Shield+A (or in previous generations Shield+A) or, for another comparison, how you access grab moves in SoulCalibur.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't want them to spend time balancing moves that are deliberately super powerful. I also don't want players getting essentially an auto-kill just for living a certain length of time.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I don't want them to spend time balancing moves that are deliberately super powerful. I also don't want players getting essentially an auto-kill just for living a certain length of time.
Well, if you don't want the imbalance, just turn the option off. Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean it wouldn't be good for other people who would prefer the game work ultimate attacks a different way. So, the developers wouldn't have to worry about balancing Final Smashes because playing with Final Smashes on is more of a 'just for fun' feature like Lightning Melee and Tiny Melee. And if EVERYONE got their final smashes this way it would be its own sort of balance.

It wouldn't detract at all from tournament mode, and just to be nice, how about they make it so it's turned off by default. And if you want time/action based ultimates you have to go through the menu and turn it on.

Now everyone's happy.

Last edited:

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
See the "Final Smashes" column in the first picture.
https://smashboards.com/threads/wis...h-bros-for-switch.446712/page-3#post-22038808

summary:
-final smashes part of default combat
-final smashes are toned down while still "super" in spectacle
-smash ball can be summoned once smash gauge is at 100%
-smash ball will take 0% damage by summoner's attacks while the smash gauge is less than 100%, though it will float on screen for as long as the gauge is above some %
-smash ball can be destroyed for use of super move ONLY by its summoner, though opponents can pressure to keep the summoner from reaching green light for activation

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I've edited the top post because my description of controller functions was erroneous. I've now made it much clearer how I think the controls should work and how the ultimate attack could be re-assigned to both attack buttons or the top (traditionally X) button.

Khao

Smash Lord
I would love to have this. I like Final Smashes in theory, but I don't really like Smash Balls themselves. It'd be great to have them available in item-less matches. They could do something like having Final Smashes be rather difficult to get normally, but still having Smash Balls as a way to do one instantly for free. And of course, it needs to be an option, wouldn't even mind it being off by default, or even just limited to a side mode, like Stamina.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
After playing Super Smash Bros. Crusade and the countless Smash copycats, they all have one thing in common: the Final Smash is in the form of a meter in the fighter's HUD (very similar to traditional fighters). The meter increases when you hit an opponent and in some games they hit you. Once the meter is full you can release the Final Smash. I've been wanting something like this over the Smash Ball for the longest time.

And another change I'd make is to activate by pressing A+B together so you can still use the neutral B.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't see much point in changing it. I mean, it's really unique, getting your Final Smash with breaking a flying ball. Smash is so fun because how out of the box it is. I can't see how doing it like every other fighting game super is an improvement.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You're not the first to think of this. You're one of the very few people who think this is a good idea. If a final smash could be activated after taking enough damage, the special would have to be heavily watered down, and that doesn't seem like it would be any different from your typical specials. Something tells me Little Mac and Cloud were two characters with a miniature final smash to see how players would feel about being instantly killed. How would this benefit characters who aren't that heavy? They'd end up getting the short end of the stick.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I agree with this change because certain characters like Little-Mac / Cloud already have this type of mechanic.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
After playing Super Smash Bros. Crusade and the countless Smash copycats, they all have one thing in common: the Final Smash is in the form of a meter in the fighter's HUD (very similar to traditional fighters). The meter increases when you hit an opponent and in some games they hit you. Once the meter is full you can release the Final Smash. I've been wanting something like this over the Smash Ball for the longest time.

And another change I'd make is to activate by pressing A+B together so you can still use the neutral B.

I always hated that fighters lose their Neutral B when they get the Final Smash, it definitely needs it's own button/ button combo. I'd set it to the top-left trigger, personally. Custom controls will most likely be in the game, I just hope that Final Smash is treated separately from the Special move button, and can be assigned to a different button.
I really want Final Smash's to be more ingrained into the base game, they just need to be heavily nerfed. If a meter of some sort was introduced, I would hope that it only fills up by dealing damage, not taking damage like Little Mac and Cloud.
Honestly most of the Final Smash's are fine and easily dodge-able, just make them block-able and lower the damage to like 33%. I think they shouldn't kill until like 67%.

Last edited:

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
I don't see much point in changing it. I mean, it's really unique, getting your Final Smash with breaking a flying ball. Smash is so fun because how out of the box it is. I can't see how doing it like every other fighting game super is an improvement.
I "liked" your post because I agree that the "Smash" flavor of Super should stay intact, or at least as much as possible while removing the random element of it and adhering to some accepted norms. I believe my idea of it would achieve this in a cool way.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Nope, the Smash Ball gotta appear. I don't want Final Smashes to seem random. If transformations come back and Samus's Final Smash triggers her changing suits, I would want to stick with Zero Suit Samus. Imagine spamming the neutral B and the Final Smash gauge filled up while you weren't paying attention.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
The Smash Ball should return but the way to activate your final smash should be different from before. Instead of using standard B like for standard attacks, they should be able to do this: pressing both L and R or both ZL and ZR at about the same time while not moving (in the air or on the ground) would do the FS trick. In case you're confused, a sign will appear near your gauge emblem telling you.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Okay, i'm stupid for not thinking of this earlier. To solve the problem of limited buttons on the split joy-con you'd just assign taunts and final smashes to the same button. So you'd lose the ability to taunt when you're glowing with your final, but once you use the ultimate attack the top button goes back to functioning as the taunt button.

Boom problem solved. X (Top) Button is now context sensitive and everyone's happy that they can use all their standard special moves even when they have their glow from the smash ball.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Or if you don't want to use the Smash Ball, maybe it could be tossed away like the other items with the Shield button.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Leave it how it is...that is all

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Also, it may not be a popular opinion but if a fighter is possessing the ability to perform a Final Smash, the regular music pauses and gets replaced by an intense short music loop until the fighter activates their Final Smash or loses their Smash Ball.

It's similar to how the music changes whenever a Pokemon in Pokken Tournament goes into Synergy Burst mode.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Also, it may not be a popular opinion but if a fighter is possessing the ability to perform a Final Smash, the regular music pauses and gets replaced by an intense short music loop until the fighter activates their Final Smash or loses their Smash Ball.

It's similar to how the music changes whenever a Pokemon in Pokken Tournament goes into Synergy Burst mode.
I guess that would be awesome. I might even grab the Smash Ball and avoid pressing B to hear that awesome music!

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I guess that would be awesome. I might even grab the Smash Ball and avoid pressing B to hear that awesome music!
Yeah! In case you're confused, the FS music stops when the final smash is over not right when it's activated.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Okay first off, for clarity, i'm going to state how I think the controller for Smash 5 should work. I think L should be shield, R should be grab, Left button (Y in standard, B in split con) should be special attacks, Bottom Button (B in standard, A in split con) should be regular attacks, and Right button (A in standard X in split con) should be jump. Top button (X in standard, Y in split con) is up in the air depending on how development goes.

Now here's the idea. I'm a fan of Overwatch (like 35 million other people) and I was just wondering, while playing it the other day, whether Smash Bros. should alter the way characters get their Final Smash from hitting the flying smash ball, which is an item you can turn on and off, to simply having your final smash build up with time and damage given and possibly even damage received. Basically how Little Mac already gets his Neutral Special attack charged.

Of course I think it should be an option, whether you want the Final Smash to be the item or whether you want it to build up with action. And there should also be the option of whether being KO'd penalizes your ultimate attack meter, like with ultimate attack meters in Splatoon. And you should be able to turn it on or off either way.

What do you think? Would you like to have Final Smashes build up like ultimate attacks in Overwatch (or Splatoon where you get a reduction of your meter for dying) even with all the items turned off? I think it would be a good option to add.

I'm also considering another thing about Final Smashes. What if they made them activated not by pressing simply Y/Left Button (or B in previous generations) when you're glowing, but by pressing a different input, like both attack buttons (B and Y / Bottom and Left), or maybe a Smash Y, or possibly even the X/Top button. But with the X/Top button setup it would take up too many inputs for the split Joy-con.

Because how I figure joy-con control will/should work is A is physical attacks, B is special attacks, X is jump and Y is taunt, while L is shield and R is grab. Of course to solve this you could switch taunting to holding the shield button and pressing the B button and a direction, sort of like how you can access grabs with Shield+A (or in previous generations Shield+A) or, for another comparison, how you access grab moves in SoulCalibur.
I've had the idea of Final Smashes building up over time and with damage dealt and taken (among other things) ever since Brawl came out. It became hilarious in hindsight once PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale came out and basically ripped off my idea.

That was also part of my implementation.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
E3 had just shown how Final Smashes work in the new game right? The Smash Ball still appears as normal. Sometimes there's a Fake Smash Ball with a thicker line that just launches you away.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
E3 had just shown how Final Smashes work in the new game right? The Smash Ball still appears as normal. Sometimes there's a Fake Smash Ball with a thicker line that just launches you away.
Yeah, there's really not much hope for it now, but it is still possible that the options screen will have a final smash option for "Item Based", "Action Based", and "Item & Action Based".

Top Bottom