• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Destination

Thethirdbrother

Smash Rookie
As we all know, it is the most fair stage. But there is a slight problem with it. Look at the pic below and discuss!

It's the BANE of smashers everywhere! The infernal ledge! How has it maimed you?

godofrock72

Smash Cadet
I've never had any real problems with it, though I rarely play there, as my friends and I usually just set the stage selection to "Random" and turn off all of the stages we don't like. But when we do end up playing there, it usually doesn't really get in our way.

What characters are you playing as? I usually play as Luigi, maybe your main is different.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Final Destination? Fairest stage? :laugh:

I'm just going to ignore that, and continue. I don't know why people get so cranky about the ledge. Seriously, it's your own fault if you can't recover. And I know this because I play Sheik, Zelda and Lucas. Actually, I believe there was another member who summed this up quite nicely:

Ken Neth said:
If you get caught under the edges of FD you deserve it. It really is not that hard to avoid it with any character. You just have to actually think when recovering.. Wait, no one's wanted to do that since Brawl came out. :laugh:
In short, the ledge sucks, but learn to recover.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The best part is that Meta Knight can Shuttle Loop into that lip and will slide up to the ledge. Likewise, everyone who can wall jump except Wolf, Captain Falcon, Lucario, and Sonic can wall jump right around that lip and will be perfectly be in position to grab the ledge (Wolf and Sonic fall a bit short, Captain Falcon is too far out, and Lucario ends up standing on the stage).

Battlefield in Melee had this same style of ledge, and assorted other stages in Brawl require you to navigate such a ledge; avoiding it is just a basic skill of the smash series. At tournament level, people suicide into it extremely seldom to say the least. (though I won't say never; everyone makes mistakes sometimes).

bobson

Smash Lord
Actually, if you side-B into the ledge with Captain Falcon you can instantly grab it after a walljump.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I sometimes have to recover from the inside of the ledge and it either results in my death or a hilarious recovery.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Actually, if you side-B into the ledge with Captain Falcon you can instantly grab it after a walljump.
When I said except those four, I meant they just grab the ledge without doing anything (that's Mario, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Fox, Falco, Pikachu, and Squirtle). Wolf is in prime position to just double jump to it as well, and I think Sonic could too if you were really careful.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
No way, is this the fairest stage....gives advantages to players like Wario (his bike) or Sonic

EDIT: Though it is one of the more neutral stages

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As we all know, it is the most fair stage.
Just because it's the only completely flat stage doesn't mean it's the fairest stage. Characters that are fast & have projectiles can easily camp out slower projectileless characters. Thus flat does not equal=fair. Actually, the concept of a "perfect stage" is an impossible concept to fulfill (except in dittos, where all stages are "perfect"), just like the concept of a "perfectly balanced character" is a impossible concept fulfill.

The fairest stage is definitely either Smashville or [in my opinion] Battlefield.

Oh, & the only way you fail at the edges is if you let them beat you. It's happened to all of us, & it definitely makes the stage "less balanced" [at least I think it does], but not a significant enough amount to really impact much...

*ends boring rant & goes to another thread tell a story about how purple slurpees are taking over the world*

:psycho: :psycho: :psycho: :psycho:

Thethirdbrother

Smash Rookie
Final Destination? Fairest stage? :laugh:

I'm just going to ignore that, and continue. I don't know why people get so cranky about the ledge. Seriously, it's your own fault if you can't recover. And I know this because I play Sheik, Zelda and Lucas. Actually, I believe there was another member who summed this up quite nicely:

In short, the ledge sucks, but learn to recover.
Thats the thing though. only certain characters can recover it. Skill plays little role. Combatants such as Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Ike have a hard time overcoming said obsticle.

Meese

Smash Cadet
GAAAH!
No more assumptions that FD is fairest please!
a fairest stage can't be determined!

as for the lip on the edge
learn to get around it.
you must recover

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Thats the thing though. only certain characters can recover it. Skill plays little role. Combatants such as Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Ike have a hard time overcoming said obsticle.
seriously that ledge is only a little problem, Ike just has to move right and Aether. fox wolf and falco do have a bit more trouble but not exactly match changing >_> seriously if you still get regularly gimped by that part of the ledge your still in the first plateau. I second Falco and the ledge never gives me trouble.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Thats the thing though. only certain characters can recover it.
No. Every character has the ability to recover on FD. I will concede that some characters have more difficulty recovering, but every character is able to recover.

Thethirdbrother said:
Skill plays little role.
Skill plays a big role in recovering. Have you ever played Ness or Lucas? You can't recover with them unless you have the skill to properly execute a PK Thunder.

Thethirdbrother said:
Combatants such as Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Ike have a hard time overcoming said obsticle.
I've never had a hard time recovering with Fox on FD. But perhaps that's just me. :ohwell: However, I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times that I've done a Vanish or Farore's Wind into the ledge. But that's my fault, not the fault of the stage. I'm not going to blame the stage for performing a poor recovery.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
fox doesn't have a very hard time recovering even from right under FD with a well place firefox it's easy... the only problem is that when we have to recover at hard angles a curved firefox can get caught (not in the usual spot) but actually right on the ledge and our sweetspot isn't big enough to hit it other than that... it works to our advantage

Koala

Smash Cadet
I will have to admit when the game first came out that I had a couple issues with it as Toon Link, but it really isn't that hard to get around anymore, you just have to pay attention to where you are and what kind of recovery your character has.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
i once missed the ledge. maybe they can thicken that out a little bit. for me the most fair stage is yoshis island only thing unfair is the lucky chance of you getting an easier recovery and the shy guys and their food. other than that its perfect

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The best part is that Meta Knight can Shuttle Loop into that lip and will slide up to the ledge. Likewise, everyone who can wall jump except Wolf, Captain Falcon, Lucario, and Sonic can wall jump right around that lip and will be perfectly be in position to grab the ledge (Wolf and Sonic fall a bit short, Captain Falcon is too far out, and Lucario ends up standing on the stage).

Battlefield in Melee had this same style of ledge, and assorted other stages in Brawl require you to navigate such a ledge; avoiding it is just a basic skill of the smash series. At tournament level, people suicide into it extremely seldom to say the least. (though I won't say never; everyone makes mistakes sometimes).
Sonic grabs the ledge easily with a half-witted attempt to DI.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
haven't been killed because of it... yet

but when i play as peach on there, i usually mess up recovery and end up going underneath the stage. somehow

Volkner582

Smash Journeyman
I never play on Final Destination if I can help it, just because it's so boring. No platforms, no hazards, and if items are turned off, NO FUN.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Final destination is only bad on WiFi. When you are playing with a character like Didy Kong or something that you have to "angle" like that, it gets really frustrating.

Chuz

Smash Cadet
Fighting Snake is **** on FD! No hazards? The entire floor is one big death trap. You either land on a mine or you lands near grenade. Only safe spot is where snake is standing... until you remember you're CF and tilts > everything you have. Then you go Snake dittos, and boy is that a blast! Only time I see someone get stuck below FD is when my 7 year old cousin plays, or online.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Fighting Snake on Battlefield is worse.

Also, this is in no way the fairest stage, as everyone here has said.

Falco for example, can laser camp there with no platforms for the opponent to escape to.

@Ampharos: Lucario ledge clings, but if you press away from the wall once you're clinging, you jump right to the ledge, which I'm sure you know, just pointing it out.

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
If you're playing as Ganondorf, that thing is the bane of your existence.

Oh it happened to me, since I play as Ganondorf a lot. I'd rather play on Battlefield, it's actually a completely fair stage, unlike FD...

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
The lip isn't a large problem if you're recovering correctly. Of course if you're getting gimped you probably wouldn't fare any better on other 'fair' stages than you would on FD, regardless of the lip. The only time you get caught under the lip is if you use your third jump incorrectly which entirely your fault, not the stage's. You should know by now when your third jump will get you stuck under that lip if you're complaining about it. So fix it. Practice recovering on your own in training mode a few times, figure out the areas you need to use your third jump so that it sweetspots the ledge. It doesn't take long, and a little practice goes a long way.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
It's not much of a problem for me because I use jigglypuff and well.... (do the math)

I still hate the way they made it. Characters like Wolf and Yoshi fall to thair doom on FD. Melee's Final Destination had the best ledges ever. <3

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
I play a good yoshi main all the time, and he has absolutely no problems getting stuck under that lip unless he botches his quick second jump ledgehog.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Brawl has been out for how long now? If you people STILL get gimped by the stage then you have no common sense as to think, "Oh, Marth's Up B got caught in the lip, maybe next time I should use it a little earlier so that it doesn't get caught!" Learn people, it's not that hard! Just tilt Diddy's Up B as well as the spacies; that or fall and align yourself a little so you can make it. If you can't play Smash without worrying about the stage gimping you, you're not playing Smash correctly (or well). If your main gets gimped by the lip I'm sorry to tell you but you probably suck with your main.

/thread

Tin Man

Smash Hero
i still hate the lip of the stage, but my main characters have no problem with that. I main characters that either don't need the ledge, or have tether recovery.

Top Bottom