• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Ice Climbers

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I know you're not supposed to let yourself get grabed, so when I fight them I usually use moves that keep me out of their grab range, but the Ice Climber person I normally fight with her (Hylian) is extremely good at getting grabs off. I can usually start off ok and rack up some dammage while keeping spacing in mind, but as soon as I get grabbed I'm as good as dead, and with all those desynced blizzards it's easy to get trapped. Usually I try to use a needle to re-sync them, but he counters the needles with an Ice Block while the other still blizzards.

Does anyone have any tips for fighting them with sheik? I refuse to turn into zelda against them for certain reasons, so I'm not going to do that. Maybe the fact that it's Hylian that I've had sheik vs. IC matches against is the reason why I've been loosing these matchups (not many people can beat his Ice Climbers) but I know I'll end up in this matchup quite a bit soon. Noob Ice Climber users aren't a problem because all you have to do is pressure them and they die, against good Ice Climber users it's hard to get them desynced enough to use that strategy.

ADHD

Smash Hero
DSMASH FRIEND. The chain stops ice block spam, and believe it or not, can screw up some of their desync plans and cause difficulty getting grabs. Do NOT underestimate popo's dthrow chain. You want to wait for openings to get a dash attack in and go for nana. The whole masterplan is using sheik's agility to separate them and keep it that way. Blizzards, I have no idea about that, I'm stumped on what to do there.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
DSMASH FRIEND. The chain stops ice block spam, and believe it or not, can screw up some of their desync plans and cause difficulty getting grabs. Do NOT underestimate popo's dthrow chain. You want to wait for openings to get a dash attack in and go for nana. The whole masterplan is using sheik's agility to separate them and keep it that way. Blizzards, I have no idea about that, I'm stumped on what to do there.
yeah, I did use down smash every chance I got when I was behind them and that worked well, but it's so hard not to make a mistake that will get you punnished by a 0 death grab xD. forward smash can be used if they're facing the wrong way, dash attacks I'm afraid to try xD.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Yeah, whoever mentioned the chain, that's actually some good advice. It does stop blocks and gives them SOME trouble getting grabs. Don't hold it out for too long, though.

Basically you keep yourself distanced from them. The reason this is a horrible matchup is because Sheik really fights most characters by being close by. It's not very advantageous to be far away from them, but it's better than always risking a shield grab by fighting close. Use needles, chains, and even running VANISHES to keep yourself from getting grabbed. If you get close, cover yourself with a dsmash, it's rare for that move to get shield grabbed (but it's easily possible.)

Don't bother tilt locking one of them, way too risky to be close. But if you do happen to tilt lock Nana, fair/nair/usmash her right away before Popo gets close.

It's tough, but Sheik can pull off some nice edgeguarding against them if you use vanishes and chains well off the side. Simply falling and bairing to separate them usually confuses the player's options to recover (I should know, Ice Climbers is one of my best secondaries.) Throw needles at them as they're falling to confuse their recovery also.

Also... even if you don't want to... transforming into Zelda really is in your best interest.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
If i'm wasn't going to transform into zelda against IC, then what I usually do is dodge their attacks and throw small attacks that don't put any risk of being punished for a little. Then when I see an opening, I make a quick attack. When I do this, IC is forced to make a quick shield, and nana's shield is pulled out slower than popo's, so I'll be able to hit nana. After I hit nana, I make sure to land behind popo (or somewhere not in front of him), then I keep chasing nana until I kill her. Then once popo is alone, it should be an easy fight :).

ADHD

Smash Hero
If i'm wasn't going to transform into zelda against IC, then what I usually do is dodge their attacks and throw small attacks that don't put any risk of being punished for a little. Then when I see an opening, I make a quick attack. When I do this, IC is forced to make a quick shield, and nana's shield is pulled out slower than popo's, so I'll be able to hit nana. After I hit nana, I make sure to land behind popo (or somewhere not in front of him), then I keep chasing nana until I kill her. Then once popo is alone, it should be an easy fight :).
Against someone like hylian, zelda is the only option, especially since sheik just doesn't do well against the icys.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm gonna steal someone's words and say that since you won't transform, you're gimping yourself.

Miller

Smash Lord
Its a really hard match up. Ive played a few Shieks and the one thing they do wrong is play offensive. Keep your defensive game up, let them get close, predict their movement. When you dash attack, make sure it goes behind them, the risks almost go down to 0. Just play safe, and don't get to hasty. Even if you need a way out, just jump over them, they cant grab you in the air.

EDIT : Ohh wow so many IC mains posted in this thread

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
Against Ice Climbers, I just try to keep my distance with Needles and occasionally let them TRY to grab you, just do that uhhm... Oh wow, I forgot what it's called :embarrass... Oh! Just Shield and press down. Yeah, I don't know the name. :mad: Anyways, after that, follow up with a D-Smash. And never Dash Attack Ice Climbers. I always use Short-Hop > Strong N-Air. I hope this all helps, if not, sorry.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Against Ice Climbers, I just try to keep my distance with Needles and occasionally let them TRY to grab you, just do that uhhm... Oh wow, I forgot what it's called :embarrass... Oh! Just Shield and press down. Yeah, I don't know the name. :mad: Anyways, after that, follow up with a D-Smash. And never Dash Attack Ice Climbers. I always use Short-Hop > Strong N-Air. I hope this all helps, if not, sorry.
Lol just so you know, one grab=death with the iceclimbers. They have rediculous chaingrabs just so you know :(

When they're slightly desynced and but maybe about 1-2 feet of eachother, that is probably your best opportunity to attack. Nana will be on the ground and popo will try and get you away, then use your dsmash and play really defensive once they are trying to get resynced and you are in between them.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Lol just so you know, one grab=death with the iceclimbers. They have rediculous chaingrabs just so you know :(

When they're slightly desynced and but maybe about 1-2 feet of eachother, that is probably your best opportunity to attack. Nana will be on the ground and popo will try and get you away, then use your dsmash and play really defensive once they are trying to get resynced and you are in between them.
You're thinking of them being separated, not desynced :p
Synced: They are together and do everything together.
Desynced: They do different things at different times and are both controlled by the player
Separated: Only popo is controlled by the player and nana does whatever she feels like doing.

Anyways, you never want them to be desynced when you're sheik because that means big trouble, the easiest ways to fight them when they're together is when they're synced, but even then I still have major problems...

Top Bottom