• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fierce Diety Link For SSBB

D

Deleted member

^ That's a shame. Some of the most creative characters were from earlier games.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Duopierce said:
I trust that if HAL decided to include him, they would balance him out effectively and give him a unique and fun move set that would make him fit in very well with the rest of the cast.

However, I'm positive Brawl is only going to include newer Zelda character incarnations, being that of Minish Cap and Twilight Princess.
I don't know. Remember how reluctant they were about Diddy Kong, who, if I'm correct, was Rare's creation.

Do you think they'd be any more eager to use characters made-up by Flagship [Capcom Jr.] just because it's under the Zelda Liscence. Smash is about Nintendo culture [primarily]. And FD Link has the honor of being an insider creation, not an outsider creation.

Duopierce

Smash Rookie
True, but FD Link isn't some major huge icon or part of the story. He's a side quest extra. All of the characters in Melee were very well known (though only in Japan for some...) but FD Link isn't plastered all over Zelda game covers and the star of a half dozen games. Casual Zelda fans probably wouldn't have a clue who he is, anyway.

That's just my perception of things.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
No...actually there are 2 topics like that. And IGN cared about the Ice Climbers.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers were the main characters of their own game. Therefore, they represented it (as well as the old-school era in general. Game & Watch represented the even older dinosaur era or something)

Fierce Diety Link was NOT the main character of his own game (heck, he wasn't even a major character! Heck, he wasn't even MANDATORY). He furthermore represents nothing that Zelda, Ganon, and that guy with the green hat represents already.

Sakurai has yet to include any character that was one-shot or not the star of a game (besides Shiek who really doesn't count because she was used more more as an extension of Zelda). I don't see why he would since there are so many other franchises and recurring non-one shot characters yet to be represented, but even if he did start including one-shot non-representative minor characters, he'd probably choose someone who wasn't just another version of Link.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Hyper-Link said:
Fierce Deity is more popular than Ices, GW, and the old school era combined
wow...has anyone else realized that he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about?

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Hyper-Link said:
he said he's stressing popularity over everything right now.
Er, perhaps I'm remembering things wrong, but didn't he say he WASN'T stressing popularity over everything right now?

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
I don't mean in terms of being a better character.

I mean if you go to some guy in the street and ask in 2000

hey do you know who Ice Climbers are?

What about Game and Watch?

How about Mike Jones from Star Tropics?

And they'll say WTF YOU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS!?

No matter how cool an NES character can be (Like Pit)

More people know and care about Link

So how can you deny that?

And he said the popular characters in japan have more chance of making it than ANYONE

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Hyper-Link said:
More people know and care about Link
I love how you say "people know and care about Link" instead of "people know and care about Fierce Diety Link"

I know for sure that I heard about IC, Game & Watch, and Mike Jones before Melee but never ever heard about FD Link myself until I saw people yammering about how he should be in Brawl. And I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy! (which is how I knew about IC, G&W, and Mike Jones in the first place before Melee came along)

To give an idea of how many people know or care about him, Fierce Diety Link doesn't even show up on Wikipedia, for crying out loud.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Hyper-Link said:
Um, yes he does.
He's a footnote. Oooooooo.

Hyper-Link said:
And if you were a true fanboy, you'd have unlocked Fierce Deity in majora's Mask like lots of other people
Even true fanboys don't necessarily PLAY every single Nintendo game in existance 100% Not that my fanboy status has anything to do with the argument at hand enough to be addressed directly. Of course, trying to derail an argument is a common strategy of someone who doesn't have an actual argument to stand on.

Hyper-Link said:
And there is NO way you could've heard about Mike Jones....
Proof?

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
About that whole mewtwo thing...

Did anyone watch the 2nd or 3rd Pokémon movie?

ASH SAVED MEWTWO'S LIFE!

The team rockets or something was tryin to kill him, Jessy an James turned good for
a couple of minutes, Mewtwo saved a bunch a people from being died at the beginning
of the movie oir somethin stupid and sissy like that.

Another good reason why games don't take from the storylines of TV/movies.

I got bored of Majora's Mask after I got turned into a f*ckin deku scrub.

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
Well true Nintendo fanboys play there KEy franchises, like Mario, zelda, Metroid, Star Fox

If you haven't played Sunshine, Adventures, Wind Waker, majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, or the Metroid Primes, then I'm even more of a nintendo fan than you

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
No, your lack of mention of any old games shows that you're a Nintendo bandwagoner, not a Nintendo fan.

See? I can throw out pointless arbitrary judgements that mean NOTHING as opposed to giving logical rational reasonable arguments that require a modicrum of intelligence to create, too!

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
Um, let's put it like this. If you don't play Nintendo's most in depth games fgrom past to future then you aren't.

I played every from mario bros. to Sunshine, from Star fox to Adventures, from Super Metroid to Prime, and every non gameboy zelda game ever.

So it doesn't matter if you play one hit wonders, if you haven't played more than one Zelda, you got some playing to do

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
But do you drink sprite for the image and not for the thirst? I think drinking sprite while playing Smash Bros. is very good. And has about as much to do with Fierce Diety Link as this argument about what constitutes a Nintendo fan does.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Hyper-Link said:
If you haven't played Sunshine, Adventures, Wind Waker, majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, or the Metroid Primes, then I'm even more of a nintendo fan than you
lmfao, you probably only named the game you've played. The first 4 games were seen as a let-down compared to the others.

Why has this topic turned into a debate on whether Tiamat is a Nintendo fanboy or not?

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Because arguing about the actual topic at hand would require him arguing for a character who appeared in one game out of many many MANY games in the franchise that isn't even anywhere near the most recent game in the franchise where the franchise already has several characters representing it and has several other more recurring candidates to choose from if it wanted more representation, and that character was hidden, optional, minor (if even that), only legitly playable against bosses, only playalbe AFTER you had already beaten the game, technically not even a whole separate character so much as a different form accessible via an item, and is yet another clone of a character who ALREADY had a clone in Smash Bros?

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
I have no idea. Probably his claim on being a Nintendo fanboy

What the hell does sprite have to do with anything. Supporting no name 80's NES games, but not Nintendo's most famous broundbreaking games does not make you a Nintendo fan

It makes you a Nostalgia addict

And plus even if you never owned Majora's Mask, you'd know that you CAN use him outside of bosses via a glitch, and I beat MM for the first time 2 weeks ago, and I turned into fierce Deity.

Wanna know how?

By getting all the weak masks in the game, then a skull kid gives it to you.

And yet you are saying Mike Jones deserves a spot over him becaus "No One represents Star tropics"?

And plus Y. Link might not even make it, and we already discussed movesets and transformations that can make it all worth it, so we won't get into that again

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Sprite is what you drink when you're thirsty. People get thirsty over time. Time is what passes when you play Nintendo games. I can't believe you haven't figured that out!

I also can't believe you haven't figured out why I brought it up in the first place, but then, you wouldn't be continuing this hilariously irrelevant argument if you had the type of logical reasoning to figure out why I'm posting about sprite in regards to Nintendo.

Rain makes plants grow, but it also knocks out power. This makes you unable to play Nintendo games. Did you know that rain comes down when Citan Uzuki casts one of his spells? I think Citan Uzuki is opposed to Nintendo. This is what makes a true Nintendo fan really wonder about things! Chewbacca on a planet of ewoks makes no sense! And because it doesn't make any sense, Fierce Diety Link should be in Brawl. Here I have this monkey.

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
Um People gettin thirsty over time relating to time passing while playing Nintendo Games makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Time passes when you do anything. The argument is being a Nintendo fanboy while not playing Nintendo's greatest franchise of all in all it's glory

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Time passes when you do anything. Playing Nintendo counts as anything. Anything goes, so nobody knows. I wonder why that might happen. Is that true? I tell you it is not. And that is why Fierce Diety Link should be in Brawl! He'd be fantastic next to Zelos!

huaiphen

Smash Rookie
wow, go tiamat...! yea, fierce deity would be v v good... or perhaps they could include some other characters from MM, such as odolwa or even a GORON!!!!!!!

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
They should totally include Anju's grandmother. She'd make a fantastic rival to Link's uncle and Zelos.

(It should be noted that all of these characters had a bigger role in MM than Fierce Diety Link. ...well, besides Zelos)

kaid

Smash Master
FD link has a minor role in 1 game which wasn't as popular as the one before it.

Consider Pit, who hasn't been seen since the NES, and how many people cheered when they saw him in the trailer.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Now consider what peoples' reactions would have been if FD Link were in the trailor instead of Pit.

huaiphen

Smash Rookie
tbh, i think they would have reacted less than if they saw pit, since pit was in a game that didnt really have any sequels, but MM was the sequel to the best game ever on the N64 (imo) and FD link was the real highlight. They needed to introduce Pit, or Kid icarus would have died

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Goron would rock, but not as much as Zelos.

huaiphen said:
tbh, i think they would have reacted less than if they saw pit,
If by "less" you mean hacking up mucus and spitting it on Sakurai, you are correct!

FD link was the real highlight [of Majora's Mask]
Oh definately. That's why he's in no advertisements for the game and why he's hidden where you can't even play as him until after you've already beaten the game and even when you can, you can't LEGITLY play as him except for boss battles! The best way to highlight a character is to keep him in the shadows only to see the light of day in a very few select circumstances after the show is already finished, after all!

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Pichu and Mr. G&W didn't appear in a trailer did they? I can agree with what you say about Pichu, but he was just a last-minute attempt to add more characters.

Don't diss Mr. G&W, because he was one of Nintendo's first characters, bringing the nostalgia.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
Oh definately. That's why he's in no advertisements for the game and why he's hidden where you can't even play as him until after you've already beaten the game and even when you can, you can't LEGITLY play as him except for boss battles! The best way to highlight a character is to keep him in the shadows only to see the light of day in a very few select circumstances after the show is already finished, after all!
Not that I agree with the post you're responding to, but your logic is completely misguided (bull****): The climax of a book is usually its highlight. You could say that Link transforming into the Fierce Diety to confront the final boss is the climax of Majora's Mask. Now, ask yourself, genius: Do advertised books and movies often give away the climax? No! That's called a "Spoiler". And actually, highlighting characters by keeping them in the shadows is a very good way to make them seem special and make them more mysterious.

You lose! Good day sir!

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
And like I said before you get Fierce Deity BEFORE you beat the game.

That's like saying Biggoron sword shouldn't be in Soul calibur II becase Link didn't get it AFTER he beat ganondorf

Which is ignorance. Both are ultimate weapons for use in bosses, and you get BOTH before you beat MM/Ganon , unless you really really suck at Zelda games and did it a year after you beat the game

Also Biggoron's sword was the highlight of Oot too. that wasn't advertised was it?

It still was a whole lot better than the Master Sword

Top Bottom