• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGCU VGC Presents: The Spring Smash - 2/26/11 - Fort Myers, Florida

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

and​

There is a possibility that we will be having a Marvel vs Capcom 3 setup for those who are willing to give it a try.

*Possible livestream for this event. Will be updated later on confirmation*

Florida Gulf Coast University, Student Union
10501 FGCU Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33965
Sudgen Hall Room 114

As this is a business sponsored tournament, there are NO door or registration fees!

Prizes:
1st: $60
2nd: $30
3rd: $10
(credit to the Play-N-Trade by Cape Coral)

Schedule:
Registration at 1pm-3pm (friendlies/money matches will be done here)
Singles begins right at 3pm

General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide claw or Ganondorf doing his suicide grab, the two opponents will play in a one stock sudden death match at the same map with the same characters. Doing it again will result in an automatic loss for that game.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties. If you are using a Wiimote or anything with batteries, be sure that they are taken out when you are not playing. This will help resolve any confusion etc.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

The definition is stalling is making the game unplayable in any way. When a player is avoiding contact but is hittable, then it is considered "timing out" which is legal. Stalling by planking (edge hogging with Pit, Meta Knight's edge hog shuttle loop is also illegal) This will be countered by an edgehog limit of 35 grabs. If anyone passes that limit, they will be counted with a loss.

*Legal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp5c7ZaTcM (Starts at 7:01)
*Illegal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAKj8wKH0qQ

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Complaints about stalling should be dealt with as follows:
*Pause the game and contact a TO.
*The TO will monitor the rest of the match.
*At the conclusion of the match the game will be saved and the TO will watch the replay to make a decision.
*Should a replay be unavailable, the TO will make a decision based on all available knowledge of the incident.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. A Random neutral is chosen for the first match, unless opponents either agree on a neutral or decide to use stage striking.
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Issues or disputes which arise that are not covered by the rules and procedures already posted should be brought to the TOs for arbitration. The TOs joint decisions are final.

Neturals:

Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi Island

Counters:

Final Destination
Smashville
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Brinstar
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise​

Segendo

Smash Cadet
how are we going to have time to do mvc and brawl?
MVC3 is just going to be set up for fun for people to play. The main focus of this event is the Brawl Tournament.

Also Prize announcements should be coming tomorrow.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
x-23,wesker,sentinel...i auto win?
Spencer, Joe and Skrull. I believe I win.

btw, do you play Tatsunoko vs Capcom as well? If so, i'll show you why Yatterman-1 is considered the best damn character ever.

-!-

Smash Lord
I will Definitely try to make this :D

Not well balanced Neutrals list but mehh it's w/e. Good enough time to practice and get back into shape, I'm so pumped to play for reals realzzz :awesome:

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I will Definitely try to make this :D

Not well balanced Neutrals list but mehh it's w/e. Good enough time to practice and get back into shape, I'm so pumped to play for reals realzzz :awesome:
Good! I want you to get alot of practice in so we can have an epic match!!!!
Go to Game 3. Distant Planet :reverse:

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Is there any chance this can be on march 5th? If so you guys have your chance to play me ;)

edit* hmm business sponsored, so that probably means no then. sigh, fgcu tourneys are never convenient for me.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Is there any chance this can be on march 5th? If so you guys have your chance to play me ;)

edit* hmm business sponsored, so that probably means no then. sigh, fgcu tourneys are never convenient for me.
The date is determined when the school allows us to use the facility. They have opened the hall up for us on this specific date and it can't be moved. Sorry. I should have gotten some friendlies with you in back at Ryo's last Saturday.

Segendo

Smash Cadet
PRIZE ANNOUNCEMENT

Gift Cards to Play N Trade Cape Coral
1st: $60
2nd: $30
3rd: $10

Contestants get a $5 dollar gift Card to Play N Trade Cape Coral
*First come first serve bases*

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Does anyone know how to set up a livestream for this event? If so, could they please PM me?

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
MVC3 is just going to be set up for fun for people to play. The main focus of this event is the Brawl Tournament.

Also Prize announcements should be coming tomorrow.
then dont advertise this as a ssbb and mvc3 tourney if you are going to have one mvc3 setup in the corner for basers to play on

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
lol i thought it was pretty random that the reporter had the exact name as sheik, for a second I thought my cousin was the reporter XD

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Masky, last year M2K entered and came and won under the name Dolphin chief. Though, we quickly discovered it was him, bcause... well..

We know who M2K is lmao.

Also he beat almost everyone with one hand.

Segendo

Smash Cadet
Gift cards suck. Give away cash prizes instead.
Our school does not allow us to charge for on campus locations for events.

finding a sponsor and having them provide Gift cards are the only way for us to make the tournament worthwhile and have a multiplier for ranking online

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Our school does not allow us to charge for on campus locations for events.

finding a sponsor and having them provide Gift cards are the only way for us to make the tournament worthwhile and have a multiplier for ranking online
there should be an alternate prize for first place to go along with the gift card.

what good is getting something that someone from orlando or tampa cannot use.

-!-

Smash Lord
all I know is that it's free, and you actually get a $5 card for showing up :) don't come if it's not appealing, this isn't a major tournament... just for funss :awesome:

Toneh

Smash Lord
there should be an alternate prize for first place to go along with the gift card.

what good is getting something that someone from orlando or tampa cannot use.
Gift cards are ok but only if they work everywhere. Its hard to get other regions to go if it only works at 1 specific store. Can that be looked into? Not just 1st place but 1st-3rd.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
This tourney is for the FGCU students. although the school will allow anyone who wants to come and play a chance to play no matter age or residence.

going back a few years this was a FFA single elim tourney with no cash value prizes. the winner got a shirt or a hat or tickets to something go on around town. our VGC prez has been working with me and many of the other smashers at this school to make this have a more SWF feel to it. He has go out of his way to get a local sponsorship and to toss his old format out and adopt the BBR rule set.

If you dont like the prises dont come. Its for our school to come and play games and you are welcome to join.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Gift cards are ok but only if they work everywhere. Its hard to get other regions to go if it only works at 1 specific store. Can that be looked into? Not just 1st place but 1st-3rd.
That was a big issue last year but another thing to realize is that the majority of the players playing in this are going to be those who are students at FGCU.

On that note, is it possible to have an amateur bracket for those who didn't get past the first match? It would keep more hype going on throughout the day.

Top Bottom