• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Female Smashers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Serious contribution time!

Most of my family play/ have played games, and I play Smash most with my sister.
She's not good like :laugh:, but still.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Wow, theres another thread? ^_^;

I started playing games when I was seven because my mother and father enjoyed games very much, so it rubbed off on me. I'm also friends with two other girls in my gaming group that's very good in Smash.
I'm sure this is an old one that's been bumped :laugh:.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I think Im one of these girls that highly dislike typical "girly" stuff, like the color pink or something. :laugh: I always stay away from pink costumes on characters.
You seem quite similar to me when it comes to interests too because I also HATE "girly" girl stuff as well! =D Also, my most hated colour is pink as well! IMO, red is an AWESOME colour! ;) You seem to like blue and dark colours which is cool too. I stay away from the colour pink as well, like as if it were a disease to me or something to that liking. I mostly choose the colour red for my characters, but sometimes I choose other colours which I think suit them as well. ;) Also, I hate "girly" girl stuff too like make-up, taking GREAT care in my appearance, skirts, fashion and all that other c*** which follow those lines. My mum disliked it though and she used to try and force it on me, but she has learned to accept the fact that I don't like that sort of thing now which is good! =D

Only? I use male characters fo' sho'. :)
Oh, I don't just main human male characters. I just selected the characters from games I liked the most + was able to use well. The human males I main/use are Ike, Marth, Pit and Olimar. (Olimar is human...?) However, I also main/use characters that probably either gender would use. These ones I use are Meta Knight, Lucario, Kirby, P.T., ROB and G&W because I can use them well + they are in games I like too. (Never played ROB's game though.) I also like the Mario, Zelda and Starfox series games, but I can't use those characters effectively.

I don't hate the female characters though. Although I don't use them because again, I can't use them well/effectively. Although, Peach is probably the only female character I don't like. She's like the polar opposite to me. Probably the only 1 thing I like about her, is that she is good at heart (Like I am.) and she does the right thing which is good and all (From her respective games of course + mario games.) but overall, I can't stop thinking that she might be the type of character who is ditzy. Plus, I think she's like one of those "girly" girl types of people too. No hatred towards the Peach mains out there however. :) I just dislike her personality...>_>

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
Ahh, another 'female gamer' thread..

*slowly raises her hand* I am female, although my friends say I am a dude trapped in a girl's body.

I play loads of video games, and I like to draw and program. I also used to frequently go to Melee tournaments, and now Brawl tournaments =). I stay away from girly stuff, and I don't think I have a single 'girl' friend. Oh, and I run Brawl Club at my school, composed of all guys and me. ;D

Greetings other girls!

Atria

Smash Journeyman
*slowly raises her hand* I am female, although my friends say I am a dude trapped in a girl's body.
That's awful! Someone told me that once before when I was younger... Next time someone says that to you and if they are a girl, say that back to them! If boys are saying that to you, tell them they are a women trapped in a man's body! ;)

I stay away from girly stuff, and I don't think I have a single 'girl' friend.
Yay! Another person who hates "girly" girl stuff! Awesome! =D I feel your pain. I do have friends, but they all like a mix of things. (Don't like "girly' girl stuff BTW.) Sad thing is, they're more into computer games, not Nintendo games...:(

I play loads of video games, and I like to draw and program. I also used to frequently go to Melee tournaments, and now Brawl tournaments =).
Lucky you! I'm still yet to go to a tournament that's actually close to where I live...:( Stupid Mackay being a desert wasteland for competitive players...

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
But girly stuff can be funny and refreshing! It can create a distinction between girls and guys while keeping the idea that girls are capable of doing what guys can.

Hmmm, for example: A girl who loves plushies and cute things, and likes to watch chic flicks. When she goes home, she plays Brawl and mains Link or something, and can beat her boyfriend at a serious game. Wouldn't that be interesting?

Nicole

Smash Champion
Ahh, another 'female gamer' thread..

I play loads of video games, and I like to draw and program. I also used to frequently go to Melee tournaments, and now Brawl tournaments =). I stay away from girly stuff, and I don't think I have a single 'girl' friend. Oh, and I run Brawl Club at my school, composed of all guys and me. ;D

Greetings other girls!
I run a brawl club at my school too! It is comprised of all guys, and me. It's pretty awesome, but I'm also sure it confuses at least half of them that a girl is running a video game group.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
But girly stuff can be funny and refreshing! It can create a distinction between girls and guys while keeping the idea that girls are capable of doing what guys can.

Hmmm, for example: A girl who loves plushies and cute things, and likes to watch chic flicks. When she goes home, she plays Brawl and mains Link or something, and can beat her boyfriend at a serious game. Wouldn't that be interesting?
Actually TBH I don't mind plush toys I think they're cool. Chick flicks, I think they are BOOOOORRRRING! I prefer shows like Family Guy, The Simpsons etc. Anime IMO is also cool too. However, when it comes to my appearance that's a different story. I just want to 'keep myself real' and avoid 'what's in' and all of those other fads which I think are stupid. I also don't want to be stereotypically thought of as 'dumb', 'weak' or someone who is scared of filthy things so I avoid 'girly' girl stuff like as if it were a disease to me. Also because I have encountered these kind of people at my school, I think these kind of people are ******* because they dislike intellectual people like me and my group of friends and make fun of us for not being interested in what they do. But the scarier thing is, they're able to control the guys like puppets which I think is just wrong on their part. That's IMO anyway. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but that's how I feel.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Very true. Power to those who can break the stereotypical molds. I just do what I like to do, like what I want to like, and tell people who bug me about it to stop being stupid.

Heck, I'm a guy and I like plushes. I'm also the only guy I know who will openly say that I like Azumanga Daioh and that I'm an absolute Pokemon nut. On the other hand, I eat 90% of my food raw (yes, including meats unless I HAVE to cook them thoroughly), I love camping (a week without showering FTW!), hunting, and practicing martial arts. Horror movies are great. Blood is one of the tastiest foods ever.

But some of my other friends are like wtf you keep dolls in your car? I proceed to tell then that only the manliest of men don't care what other people say, and they laugh. Then I destroy them in Brawl XD

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I just would like to say, female smashers are my idols. And to have a female smasher as a girlfriend would be so much win. it's too good. Female smashers are awsome.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Well you could say my girlfriend is a smasher, but she's not very good at the game, although she enjoys it. I should make her practice lol

It is a fact that female smahers are awesome. It's not that male smashers aren't, most smashers are cool (unless they're douchey, show-offy ***s), but it is indeed rare to see a female smasher. I know like.....4. But then I know literally over 50 male smashers.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Very true. Power to those who can break the stereotypical molds. I just do what I like to do, like what I want to like, and tell people who bug me about it to stop being stupid.

Heck, I'm a guy and I like plushes. I'm also the only guy I know who will openly say that I like Azumanga Daioh and that I'm an absolute Pokemon nut. On the other hand, I eat 90% of my food raw (yes, including meats unless I HAVE to cook them thoroughly), I love camping (a week without showering FTW!), hunting, and practicing martial arts. Horror movies are great. Blood is one of the tastiest foods ever.

But some of my other friends are like wtf you keep dolls in your car? I proceed to tell then that only the manliest of men don't care what other people say, and they laugh. Then I destroy them in Brawl XD
We all have our problems. Everyone at home thinks I'm an uber nerd for joining these forums because I got sick of fighting random people online. Anime is awesome and I'm a Pokemon nut too. Actually TBH, I'm a nut with ALL Nintendo games except for the Metroid series however because I don't like 1st person shooters much. I like being able to see ALL of my surroundings at once, not just have a 1/4 view. My family thinks it's not normal for a female like me to be a hardcore video game player. They think I should be going out and doing what other normal girls do, but I don't care because I love video games a LOT! Don't know what I'd do without them! I wouldn't mind doing martial arts too seemingly as though I like to protect myself and I like Japanese culture. (I know it's not just Japanese people that do it.) However, I've been having an urge lately to want to practice sword play because I think being able to wield and use a sword properly would be awesome! But I don't think it'll ever happen to me. Here's a tip for you: use your martial arts skills on the people that harass you. Now let's see how much they question about your manliness now!

It is a fact that female smahers are awesome. It's not that male smashers aren't, most smashers are cool (unless they're douchey, show-offy ***s), but it is indeed rare to see a female smasher. I know like.....4. But then I know literally over 50 male smashers.
Don't worry. I know like 0% of smashers who are good. Both Female AND Male smashers.

I just would like to say, female smashers are my idols. And to have a female smasher as a girlfriend would be so much win. it's too good. Female smashers are awsome.
You are full of win. 10wins for Dark.Pch!

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Well, I have learned swordplay, but I won't use a blade on my friends LOL
I'm less hesitant to use less lethal weapons, like back slaps and stomach pokes XD

I know they're just messing. Every guy has a girly side and every girl has a manly side XD

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Well, I have learned swordplay, but I won't use a blade on my friends LOL
I'm less hesitant to use less lethal weapons, like back slaps and stomach pokes XD

I know they're just messing. Every guy has a girly side and every girl has a manly side XD
That must have been awesome! Yeah I definitely wouldn't use a leathal weapon on my friends, but I'm still not hesitant to hurt them with my own 2 hands if I can't think of something witty to call them. I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE has to show their feminine or manly side eventually. It's not something that anyone can escape from. Especially like my older brother...

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Swords are fun, but too many people use them. Plus, they are quite dangerous if you mess up. I used to practice in one of my friends' back yard. He has a few gargantuan grapefruit trees (for some reason he never harvested them) and I'd practice accuracy and speed by cutting thrown grapefruits. He had an orange tree too. Oranges were tougher to slice though, especially when he decided to throw them directly at me and pelt me with fruit. XD

Fun times...I don't use the sword much anymore. I train with tonfas now (and even then, not much anymore, since I'm busy with college school stuff). And I can't use my sword....I left it in my friend's garage and his entire house burned down, so it's really damaged. I salvaged it and managed to get a new scabbard, but it's kind of loose. And it costs a lot to repair a Japanese sword so it's not fixed yet >_>

It's good the house is almost done rebuilding though.

True, tournies are fun (unless you meet arrogant **gs, but they costs MONEY D=
I have friends who are pretty good and play tournies so I can just play against them.

Go to tournies OR play against tourney-quality players.

Sajun88

Smash Apprentice
This is definitely an important thread.

I don't like to risk sounding like one of those super geeks who's never even made eye contact with a girl, but the female gamer population definitely needs to be more open.

In my psych class the other day the girl in front of me had written the word "woot" on her paper, and she had a backpack in the chair beside her shaped like Yoda, so when she wore it the Yoda was hanging on her back like in the movie lol. Those two things told me she was a gamer of some sort, mostly from the word.

Needless to say I fell OUT of my chair ONTO the floor and /drool.

No jk.

As much as people think that female gamers are scarce they really aren't, they just aren't as open about it as guys are. That sounds bad when you say it, sounds like gaming is a drug or some other kind of bad habit you have to keep hidden ... :(

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Well depends on who we're talking about. Some girls pretend to be guys or pretend to not play (for some unknown reason)...maybe they just don't want to be discovered. My girlfriend pretended to be a guy online when we'd play Diablo II together like 2 years ago because it 'felt awkward being the only girl'. Usually it's guys who pretend to be girls, but the other way around is possible too. Perhaps some feel uncomfortable being the 'only girls' playing because they don't see others.

Others are like: "Oh, screw it. I'll play what I want and I don't care what other people think about me." Those are the ones that are primarily heard. In effect, since we don't see any other female gamers, we think they're more rare than they really are. But still, even counting the ones that aren't blatant about it, it's obvious more guys play games than girls.

Our society influences girls in bad ways =(

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Swords are fun, but too many people use them. Plus, they are quite dangerous if you mess up. I don't use the sword much anymore. I train with tonfas now. And I can't use my sword....I left it in my friend's garage and his entire house burned down, so it's really damaged. I salvaged it and managed to get a new scabbard, but it's kind of loose. And it costs a lot to repair a Japanese sword >_>

It's good the house is almost done rebuilding though.

True, tournies are fun (unless you meet arrogant **gs, but they costs MONEY D=
I have friends who are pretty good and play tournies so I can just play against them.

Go to tournies OR play against tourney-quality players.
Yeah I had a feeling that a sword + equipment would be expensive. I don't really plan to get one yet until I have lots of money and also finish University.

I wish I could go to a tourney. Except I live in a desert wasteland. To get to one, I need to learn how to actually drive to get to one. So technically, I'm stuck with Wi-Fi for now...

Yeah, sometimes I feel desperate too due to the lack of gamers in my area. (I already told you that I lived in a desert wasteland...>_>) So Sajun88, I know where you're coming from. Problem too is that a lot of people in my area are immature too which I also dislike. If only I had my driver's license, I should be fine.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Basic protective gear isn't that expensive (unless you're thinking about actual sets of armor, which is insane), but a real battle-ready cutting katana of decent quality is a few hundred dollars. Mine was around $350 since I got it through my dojo. Its listed price was around $500 though 0_0" The best swords these days are over a thousand. I saw a nice katana in the catalog. It's forgers create the swords with traditional methods, and they are among the best ones available. Price? $1,500 for the long sword. And those swords also require high maintenance. You have to polish them and coat them with blade oil every time you remove them from the scabbard to ward off rust. The blades are so keen they will part the top layer of your skin when you just BARELY touch the edges with your finger. You can't even touch the blade with your skin too much because the oils on your skin can build up and mess it up the metal. After each cutting it's also recommended to get it examined and resharpened if necessary. They are also completely silent when you swing them because they divide the air so there's almost no air resistance. Frankly, it's sort of frightening to imagine making a mistake with a weapon that's so deadly and sharp.

And you'd have to buy a wooden one to practice with before handling a real one anyway. My good bokken only cost me around $30. It's made from a stave of heavy red oak and it's very sturdy. Other than the real cutting blade, things aren't too pricey.

Oh yeah, did you know more people have died in bokken duels than fights with real blades?

Well anyway, don't game shops sometimes hold tournies? I know a lot of gaming stores near my area host tournaments quite often. $5 entrance fee, but if you win, you get $120 in store credit for that store. I haven't had the time to attend one yet. If a local game store holds tournaments, all you need to do is find out when.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Still, I think it'll be hard for me to actually get my hands on a sword because I don't think my parents would allow me to have one because of obvious reasons. Even though if they allow me to, I still need to earn the money to get one.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
lol well I'm not telling you to buy a sword, I'm telling you to find out more about local tournies at a nearby game store in your area =P

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I know, I'm just saying it'll be hard for me to get one. Oh in answer to your question: No they never do. (Again, my area=desert wasteland.) Actually, all game stores are located in shopping centres so I don't see how it could be possible. Still, I guess it couldn't hurt for me to ask. Still, IDK if I'll look silly doing so because:
1. My family will make fun of me for taking this game seriously.
2. Likely the person will say something along these lines: "What's a tourney?" This reply would be likely as the gaming community in Mackay is like dead.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Atria:
Fly/roadtrip to Brisbane n_n

Or hound Kaydash to start up a tournament scene and we all might come for a tournament. I've never been to Cairns/North Queensland. King Kong was up there not long ago. :p

Flying couldn't be very expensive atm. People are coming up from Sydney for less than $100 return for SummerSmash.

I know there were a few players from the North Queensland area that sorta came in and out of our regional discussion thread, if they ever make a reappearance I'll put them in touch with you.

Otherwise gogo Wifi.
If we run another GotGames wifi ladder you should compete.

Actually, now that I think about it, I do remember a fairly active player by the name 'Smoking Puppy' who I think was from around your area.

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
My sister is a female smasher.. =D
Oh wait the conversation has moved on...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
@Atria:
Fly/roadtrip to Brisbane n_n

Or hound Kaydash to start up a tournament scene and we all might come for a tournament. I've never been to Cairns/North Queensland. King Kong was up there not long ago. :p

Flying couldn't be very expensive atm. People are coming up from Sydney for less than $100 return for SummerSmash.

I know there were a few players from the North Queensland area that sorta came in and out of our regional discussion thread, if they ever make a reappearance I'll put them in touch with you.

Otherwise gogo Wifi.
If we run another GotGames wifi ladder you should compete.

Actually, now that I think about it, I do remember a fairly active player by the name 'Smoking Puppy' who I think was from around your area.

*strokes chin thoughtfully*
Yeah like I said, I wouldn't mind a road trip, but my family will think: "What's the point?" Therefore, I'll have to get a license in order to actually get to one. Also, flying down to Brisbane is also out of the option too. :( Although apparently my older brother will be moving down to Brisbane half-way through out the year for Uni. Maybe something good can come out of that for me?

Hmm... I can't remember the last time Kaydash was on these boards. The last thing I asked was his FC, but he mentioned something about testing out his connection, but that's the last time I heard from him. Never heard a person called King Kong before, did he use to be an active member on these boards or something like that? That would be handy if 'Smoking Puppy' was in my area.

Yeah like I mentioned before, I guess I'm stuck with Wi-Fi for the time being. Until I get my license, I guess everything is out of my power for now.

Thanks for trying to help me out, I'll keep all of these options in mind. Also, school starts for me in 2 days so I'll have to juggle more things than usual, but hopefully I can prevail. Also, I could try to convince my parents, but it'll be hard... Luckily I've got a good internet connection though.

Oh, happy Australia Day BTW!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Happy Australia Day to you too. Go check in on the thread I made about it in the pool room.

Anyway, King Kong is still active. He lives here in Brisbane, and he held a meet at his a couple of weeks ago. lol. I'm sure Kaydash will be back soon enough too. I went hunting for Puppy, but I don't know that I'll be able to contact him again :(

I know there's a lot of wifi-ers in QLD who mostly lurk. They're out there, so if you hang about for long enough I'm sure someone will still be around.

lol, I would have never tried convincing my parents to let me travel anywhere while I was still in school. Now I'm jet setting all over the place :p

Also, to expand on the whole 'girl gamer' thing, I tend to look at things a lot more objectively since studying feminism and gender theory in advanced literature in my final year of high school. The whole industry tends to alienate the female gender as a whole since traditionally it has been a very 'male' oriented past time. Even back to nintendo's earliest commercials with 1980's stylin' teenage boys with impossibly dorky hair cuts.

If you look at the gaming market, a lot of the competitive gaming genres are geared towards adolescent males. If you look at MLG's lineup for the year, they're using games like Madden and Halo both of which promote a kind of male dominance.

The idea of competitive gaming revolving around defeating another person in a virtual contest which often depicts things like fighting or war tends to lend itself to a male discourse not only within the games, but to the communities that drive them. Also these types of games tend to drive the phenomenon that is competitive gaming, it's not as though there's large cash tournaments for Animal Crossing Hide and Seek contests.

So it should come as no suprise that female gamers aren't that obvious (I refrain from saying few because they are out there in many forms, from casual to hardcore) as it's not that different from Judith Butler's vein of 'Queer Theory'. The most important thing to understand about her theory is that 'Gender is fluid' or that a person's gender will bend and change to suit different social climates. By Gender I mean persona. Many times a man who is gay will not openly share that fact. Same goes for being a girl gamer.

That's not to say that this homosexual man (or female gamer) is ashamed of what they are, it's that they have merely adjusted themselves to a different social situations. Obviously I can't sit down at the dinner table and start talking about Smash because my parents have almost zero knowledge of smash discourse.

It can also simply be chalked up to female gamers challenging the female teenager/young adult stereotype. In the end, because western society has yet to accept any young female adult archetype outside of those seen in Mean Girls the vast majority that is the male gaming population will continue to be intrigued by the existence of it's opposite in a male dominated culture.

Bibliography:

Mean Girls. (2009, January 24). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 11:09, January 26, 2009, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mean_Girls&oldid=266190420

Gender Trouble. (2009, January 20). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 11:10, January 26, 2009, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gender_Trouble&oldid=265274293

The Orange Username told me to write it.
:(

EDIT:
400 words? It felt like it took longer to write that.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Yeah, your parents need to be the coolest of the cool if they support your smash tournament ambitions. Few parents are like that. :(

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
But the scarier thing is, they're able to control the guys like puppets which I think is just wrong on their part. That's IMO anyway. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but that's how I feel.
Manipulation is far from a talent unique to the Barbie Dolls. All members of the Oestrogen race recieve this special talent from birth. And you are missing out...

Well depends on who we're talking about. Some girls pretend to be guys or pretend to not play (for some unknown reason)...maybe they just don't want to be discovered. My girlfriend pretended to be a guy online when we'd play Diablo II together like 2 years ago because it 'felt awkward being the only girl'. Usually it's guys who pretend to be girls, but the other way around is possible too. Perhaps some feel uncomfortable being the 'only girls' playing because they don't see others.
From experience? They are generally one of three.

/A/ Young and Naive brainwashed by parents into the belief that as soon as your reveal your first name and country on the internet you will instantly have 17 different paedophiles in varying states of grizzledness and disarray kicking down your door and forcing you into submission. Before brutally fisting and spit-roasting your innocence away in ways that would give even the most twisted tentacle Doujin artist nightmares.

/B/ Girls who've been around a lot of interweb and are simply bored/not bothered with the whole irdeal. The reactions and special treatment get old fast and they simply can't be bothered to go through it every time they meet someone online. These will usually say "Yes" if they are directly asked "Are you a Girl?" but simply give no hints or signs on purpose and not bring up the issue of Gender at all to make their time in the community less draining.

/C/ Girls who feel uncomfortable being among the few Girls and are shy/insecure about it (Not to large amounts only the slightest amount of discomfort is required) and simply hide it to blend into the crowd more and not be singled out. (Both positively and negatively)

I have been a /B/ before. but that was a long time ago. I'll do myself a favour and not say anything about Wapanese culture. One large lampoon per thread is more then enough.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I have been a /B/ before. but that was a long time ago. I'll do myself a favour and not say anything about Wapanese culture. One large lampoon per thread is more then enough.
For some reason the word "Wapanese" made me chuckle. Good on ya, Xia. Now I just need a time and a place to use it in.

Smooth Criminal

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
For some reason the word "Wapanese" made me chuckle. Good on ya, Xia. Now I just need a time and a place to use it in.

Smooth Criminal
If you live in America and have frequent contact with those between the ages of 12 and 20 you'll find you practically trip over chances on the way out of your front door everyday once you start looking...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
If you live in American and have frequent contact with those between the ages of 12 and 20 you'll find you practically trip over chances on the way out of your front door everyday once you start looking...
>___>

Now that's a scary psuedo-statistic. I mean, those are the same odds as running into a Scientology-owned institution here in Clearwater.

Smooth Criminal

kuenzel

Smash Ace
I main ZSS. Is that close enough? *Scratches genitalia*
Seriously though, Koka is a (fairly) regular ZSS boards member, and when she showed up to Only In Niagara 2, I'm not gonna lie, I was like "ZOMG A GURLL!!!11"

And, well, I'm honestly not sure what gender Cake is... I think he/she wants it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom