• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FB3: The Shocker//April 11th-12th PDX

Balloon

Smash Lord
head out friday at 7, get here at 9 :)
QUOTED
FOR
MOTHER
****ING
TRUTH

I don't want to not be there on friday.

Tell Shin (and this is also directed at anyone else going from Eugene) no johns. We NEED to leave friday.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
there's a reason Flare Blade is banned.
Good Roy players can pull it off in a pinch and it's a gamebreaker.
Much like Fox's shine it does pretty much kill with ease except for the fact that Fox's shine can be dodged a majority of the time.
9 time out of 10 if you are grabbed with Roy a good Roy player can pull it off even in a running grab. And don't even test a Roy that shieldgrabs you cause thats gg.
I main Roy and I don't even approve of Flare Blade.
0 to death super cheap

joshisrad

Smash Lord
there's a reason Sheik is banned.
Good Sheik players can pull it off in a pinch and it's a gamebreaker.
Much like Fox's shine it does pretty much kill with ease except for the fact that Fox's shine can be dodged a majority of the time.
9 time out of 10 if you are grabbed with Sheik a good Sheik player can pull it off even in a running grab. And don't even test a Sheik that shieldgrabs you cause thats gg.
I main Sheik and I don't even approve of Sheik.
sheek lol

aaman4567

Smash Rookie
wow I just realized how close i am to the tourney.

Total Est. Time: 12 minutes Total Est. Distance: 6.21 miles

(Map-quest lol)

oh yea and how long does the thing go for? and whats the average age of people showing up? just wondering.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
And yeah I might come. And if I do I'm going all Mewtwo.
Will you be available to travel Friday?

aaman4567 - yeah, definatly come, everyones welcome, and if you suck you suck. I suck :) I'll money match sucky people. but yeah, you and everyone else should bring all the game cubes, tv's, and recording stuff they have. My laptop sucks so hopefully someone else can bring theirs.
Money Match me. Kirby sucks. Ha ha. I can bring my laptop if I have to.

I'll likely be doing Early Bird Dittos, as will t0mmy. Here's my input on the rules:
1st Match - Random Character/Random Stage
2nd Match - Losers Character/Winners Stage
If 3rd Match - Losers Character/Winners Stage
If 4th Match - Underdogs Stage & Character
If 5th Match - Opposite Players Stage & Character​

I understand the 1st match character/stage selection is random but does that mean random dittos? As in: one person randoms a character and then the other person has to ditto from there? If so, might I suggest that the player doing the random select is a mutual agreement or in case of both players wanting to do the random select, it is determined by rock-scissors-paper.

After round 1 the wording is a bit hazey. For instance, in round 2 does "Loser's Character" mean "Loser's Choice of Dittos" ? Would it be better to say "Round 1: Player 1's choice of ditto" and then "Round 2: Player 2's choice of ditto" and then "if Round 3: Random Ditto"? That way each player is guaranteed at least one say in the choice of characters.

Why does winner get to select stage? It should either be random or picked by the loser. Since these are all ditto matches, then there really isn't any "unfair advantage" in stage selection (such as Fox on Temple vs. Bowser). So you could simplify stage select in one of two ways. First being flat-out random for each match. Second is the usual tournament way of deciding with the first stage random and the ensuing stages picked by the loser of the previous round.

I don't recognize "underdog's stage & character", explain?

1. There will be no stage bans. Instead you get one character ban in it's place.
I don't think there should be character bans.

2. No character repeates per round. Although I believe in finals, since there is the possibility of 5 matches/2 picks per person, the alternate player may pick a character chossen by his opponet, or either may pick characters played in the 1st match during the 4th or 5th matches.
Since there're 25+1 characters, don't you think that's plenty to shorten this rule to simply "No character repeat per round" without additional rules for finals? The point of this tournament is to show the player with the best versatility.

3. Zelda, Sheik, & Zelda/Sheik are a fickle situation
Just clarify that she is either considered one character or two. I believe the consensus would be that Zelda should count as one character and Sheik as another, and neither are allowed to use their Transform. In this instance, if "Zelda" comes up during a random character select, you should then do a second random select for Zelda/Sheik. This could be a coin toss or whatever.

Eggz

Smash Hero
When we did a ditto tourney, we just chose only characters who have fun dittos, then made each level of the bracket a different ditto. Just sayin'.
Can someone explain to me the rules of the early bird thing?

DMStudios

Smash Journeyman
Bart, call Shin today and talk to him about the leaving on Friday thing. I am supposed to go with everybody that I work with at Gamestop to go see Cloverfield on Friday night. My manager said that he already bought tickets for everyone. If Shin wants to go and spend the night (which I'm sure he doesn't), I could possibly weasel my way out of the movie. Check your PMs for Shin's number. Don't call him til after 12 noon. He's still sleeping.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Eggz said:
When we did a ditto tourney, we just chose only characters who have fun dittos, then made each level of the bracket a different ditto. Just sayin'.
Can someone explain to me the rules of the early bird thing?
^Wow, that is exactly what I tried to say when I suggested ditto tournament for SF:E and everyone hated it^

I think Jigglypuff, Peach and Samus dittos should be banned for sure, a long with others, maybe. Those are so boring and they can't combo themselves.

Climax11

Smash Ace
T!mmy -

Thanks for the imput...I think you're right about Match 1 & 2 being player specified. I had initially written up as that, but my mind got focused on eliminating the need for a coin toss/rock paper scissors and I restructered it without giving it much thought.

Underdog just implied the Player that was behind, it was just getting pretty late and I couldn't think of a better word.

As for the Sheik/Zelda thing, I thought there might be a player or two whom consideres them one character, I personally have no problem sticking to one, so I suppose if no one has any objections we'll consider them two different characters. And as for character bans, I have no issue removing this rule if no ones fond of it.

So that said...
--------------------------------
Early Bird Dittos 1V1:
A chance to show your versitility as well as knowledge and mastery of varried stages & characters.

1st Match - Coin Toss Determined (Player 1) Character & Stage Pick.
2nd Match - Player 2 Character & Stage Pick.
If 3rd Match - Random Character & Stage Pick. (If issues arise, coin toss to determine who clicks random.)
If 4th Match - Underdogs Stage & Character
If 5th Match - Opposite Players Stage & Character

(alternative option - if agreed upon, all characters may be picked at random/by observers.)​

1. There will be no stage knockouts.

2. No character repeates per round.

3. Zeld & Sheik will be considered seperate characters.

Outside of all these rules, the regular singles tournament rules are in effect.

Better?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Haha I smell a bias opinion here.
Someone won't know what to do when Kirby gets banned =).
Sure I do... play a better character. Lol. But what I was really thinking was everyone was just going to ban Fox and Peach. Fox if they know the other guy plays him better, or Peach ... because she's Peach.

Hm... that got me thinking how everyone is obviously going to just pick their main when it's their chance to choose a ditto. This is hardly a show of versatility, plus I doubt anyone would enjoy Kirby dittos anymore than I would enjoy a Peach ditto with a Peach main. Maybe all matches are random choices, no repeats? You could then say "Round 1: Player A chooses a character at random for the ditto", then "Round 2: Player B chooses a character randomly for the ditto", and then if there's a round 3 either Player A or Player B can choose the random ditto or they can flip a coin/rock-scissors-paper/whatever for it.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I think you are wrong, Timmy. I won't be choosing Marth or Sheik for a ditto match, I suck at those dittos (well, I suck at this game in general) but I have other characters in mind to choose than my mains.

Did I forget to mention that Kirby dittos should definitely be banned. They would be sooo boring. When Washington did this tournament they only included about 15 characters since the rest just suck at comboing themself.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I think all this debate on character dittos could be solved with one, simple statement. Show me your mother****in' moves.
Captain Falcon dittos are the only good dittos out there.
Why try to hide from it?

Climax11

Smash Ace
I'm going to keep the rules as are...all randoms is still up as a chooseable option. As for people only picking there set character or lame character bans, well...I dunno. I'm up for clever ideas around it, though.

Also, if anyone has set ups (tv's, gamecube/wii's, recording stuff) that'd be awesome, even if it's just a random game cube or tv, we might be able to figure out some pairing stuff. Also, power stirps and chairs would be cool too. I looked for some cheap folding style chairs at good will today with no luck. I was thinking about buying a vcr as a recording device, but I don't know how well those work out...they're only like 10 bucks at goodwill...thoughts?

Climax11

Smash Ace
This demands a double post...

22 unconfirmed people

40 CONFIRMED PEOPLE!!!

My house is going to be crammed. See you saturday :)

Eggz

Smash Hero
Yeah, i like the rules as is. I think if both players agree to not do a really gay matchup, like ICs, then it shouldn't be done. But ONLY if both agree. Word?

keeper

Smash Champion
I'm going to keep the rules as are...all randoms is still up as a chooseable option. As for people only picking there set character or lame character bans, well...I dunno. I'm up for clever ideas around it, though.

Also, if anyone has set ups (tv's, gamecube/wii's, recording stuff) that'd be awesome, even if it's just a random game cube or tv, we might be able to figure out some pairing stuff. Also, power stirps and chairs would be cool too. I looked for some cheap folding style chairs at good will today with no luck. I was thinking about buying a vcr as a recording device, but I don't know how well those work out...they're only like 10 bucks at goodwill...thoughts?
I'll just bring that little TV then.

Do you consider iMovie+Mactop recording equipment? I'm a little wary of it getting taken/stepped on, that and it'd get in the way of the TV...

Balloon

Smash Lord
Timmy, pretty sure it doesn't matter whether player A or player B hits the random button for the character... Your suggestion is just way redundant xD.

IMO stick with the rules as is. You are able to ban a character, and so is the other player. All stages random, all neutrals.

Simple.

Climax11

Smash Ace
So...you're not coming mr. jem?

And bart, you're saying all random stages, and characters bans should be allowed?

And Keeper, we had lap tops at the last one, I think everyone would be pretty respectful, if not I'm glad to kick them out, or if anything got stolen I'd help you prosecute in any way I could. Say "no" to theft. So yeah, bring your **** :)

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
The first match should be random (Or agreed upon), with random stage.
--I think we can all agree that is fair.

The second match, the loser of the first match choses, then to give the winner some say in it (like in a normal tournament when the winner gets to change his character) he should be able to pick the stage, of course only neutral stages can be chosen.
--I think we can all agree that is fair, otherwise the loser of the first game gets too much say in the next match in choosing the next ditto and stage.

Third match, rinse and repeat, loser of the last game choses character, winner choses stage.

Wiki's stupid rule -- I think that if someone really wants to choose the stage, that they can choose the stage but the character has to be random. Neither person chooses it.

Banned Characters, honestly, we have to ban some -- Peach, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, Samus, Bowser, Yoshi, Ness, Zelda, Mewtwo and Game n Watch.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
got my tv back from binx, so ill bring that. would rather not lug around my wii, but i can if needed. recording stuff is a for sure.

Climax11

Smash Ace
See, I get what you're saying about banning some characters, but there are people out there who main face, oh, i dunno, eggz or bart. Now if I'm a game n watch player, and I just spent five dollars, I'm going to want to atleast be able to try and show these beezies up with my bread and butter. Ha, ok not the best reason why not to ban, but there are others.

I agree with the whole one person picks the characters, the other picks the stage, but I just really didn't care since theres no advantage, so I'm just going to leave that unless I hear more desire to switch it your way.

Really the only things I think would change at this point is possibly the stage rules as just mentioned, and establishing a character knock out rule, but I don't know if thers enough of a want for that.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I'm telling you, you don't want to be playing a 7 minute game n watch ditto match, especially if it is the first game he is randomly chosen and neither player have ever played him.

Eggz

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter, its not for pure competitiveness, its for fun.

Game and watch dittos are aight. Just cuz its not combo oriented doesn't make it a bad ditto.

Guy, should I bring my laptop?

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
How did you guys do it, Eggz? If I remember correctly you guys only made it so you could pick 10 characters, in fact, you guys were arguing whether link could combo himself better than roy.

Top Bottom