• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Book

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking for some new things to read, and I need some ideas. My favorites are:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salenger

and

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Pit 42

Smash Lord
'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' by Douglas Adams (if you don't like this book, I can't be your friend anymore)

I also liked 'The Firm' by John Grisham. The movie sucked, though.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I'm looking for some new things to read, and I need some ideas. My favorites are:

and

So how good is the catcher in the rye? I picked it up for english, but i'm not sure if it will intrest me.

Fav. book- Pet sematary by stephen king.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
catcher in the rye is deep. it's a classic, and some may call it good for its quality and literary finesse....

but i hated the protagonist, lol. :'C

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
My Bible.

I also like The Complete Series of Sherlock Holmes and Of Mice and Men because it's good while being short. The Grapes of Wrath wasn't quite as good as I'd of liked it to have been.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
catcher in the rye is deep. it's a classic, and some may call it good for its quality and literary finesse....

but i hated the protagonist, lol. :'C
Alright, just curious. Got to chapter 2 today, and I am not sure if I should change books. I can read any book, and I have several I haven't read yet. Fire Starter, Grendal, and a few others I have lying around.

Sandy

Smash Champion
The Prestige by Christopher Priest

Harry Potter(series) by J.K. Rowling

Nature Cures They Don't Want to Know About by Kevin Trudeau

I

i8waffles612

To Kill a Mocking Bird

<3

Ewww... i was supposed to read part one (112) pages over spring break... I didnt... lol....

Well my favorite book is

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton (also a GREAT movie)

and i Am also reading The Man who Was Poe I like this book too

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
i8waffles612 said:
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton (also a GREAT movie)
Oh yeah! I remember that book. That is one of my favorite books.

I also like Silver of the Tree which is the last book in the Dark is Rising Series, The Indian in the Cupboard and Hatchet.

Wuss

Smash Champion
Although it is slightly childish The Phantom Tollbooth is one of my favorite books ever. So creative and a good story.
I read To Kill a Mockingbird in seventh grade, and I liked it. I don't know how people don't, its a classic, and a good story.

I

i8waffles612

Oh yeah! I remember that book. That is one of my favorite books.

I also like Silver of the Tree which is the last book in the Dark is Rising Series, The Indian in the Cupboard and Hatchet.
Oh yea, i also enjoyed Hatchet

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Battle Royale.

It might be lame to most of you, but it's like-- the most gory and amazingly horrific book ever.

They even made a movie about it. (Japanese).

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I'm more of a fan of a series. I love Piers Anthony's Xanth series, as well as his Incarnations of Immortality, and his Phaze series. Could you guess he is my favorite author? haha.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
I'm to see To Kill a Mockingbird fans, love that book and its my all-time favorite movie,too. Anyway, I'd have to say my favorite book is "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells. I'm not sure why,I just love it!

Rickety

Peace and Love
Richard Bach's "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" and "Illusions" are two favorites of mine.

I really enjoyed the books I got to read when I was a Junior and Senior in High School, as well.

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
East of Eden, John Steinbeck
The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger.
The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

Books are fun :]

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
easy to me. the whole redwall series. its the only book i could get into, n i don't read for nothing, but i made an exception for this

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
My favorite book from Freshman year was the Count of Monte Cristo. Alot of people get confused if you don't pay attention to detail, but I loved it. I jsut read two pretty good philosophy/spiritual books, Siddhartha , and The Way of the Peaceful Warrior (which actually is coming to a theater near you relatively soon)

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
As I already said, Catcher was my favorite because i love books about social commentary. I also love characters that are desperate, but find a little hope.

My favorite book from Freshman year was the Count of Monte Cristo. Alot of people get confused if you don't pay attention to detail, but I loved it
I watched the anime that was based on The Count of Monte Cristo, and it's one of my favorites. I bet the story is just as good if not better.

Books on my "To Read" list are:

The Great Gatsby

and Brave New World

len1

Smash Journeyman
anything by Mathew Reily
and i want to read "arabian nights" after playing Sonic and the Secret Rings

Mariam

Smash Rookie
I would advise to read Perfume by Patrick Suskind and then to watch a movie. I completely agree with CHOKNATER, it's really PERFECT!

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Please tell me the hitchhiker books are better than the movie. The movie was probably in the top 5 worst movies I've ever seen.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman

and

I like your tastes.

Along the lines of The Catcher in the Rye there is The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Similar style of book but WAY different characters.

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury is a great book, and if you like him you'll like that book. If you like the whole "social commentary through sci-fi" thing I would suggest Kurt Vonnegut books such as Slaughterhouse-five or my personal favorite book Cat's Cradle. I think pretty much everything Kurt Vonnegut writes is great so you really can't go wrong with anything he writes.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I hate picking Favorite Anythings

except for songs

But, for serious works, I'd probably have to go with Lord of the Flies, or maybe 1984.

Light reading I'd have to go with Bernard Cornwell's trilogy Warlords Chronicles, which includes The Winter King, Enemy of God, and Excalibur. They're basically one very long book, broken into three parts. I'd suggest those to everyone, especially Uncle Kenny, as I have a feeling he'd really enjoy them.

Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said was also amazing.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
I'm a pretty big dork so I love reading biography's. Probably the most interesting one Ive run across is the Biography of Nicholi Tesla. Other than biography's (because I usually have to right a paper on them) I really don't have much time for books other than text.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I'm more of a fan of a series. I love Piers Anthony's Xanth series, as well as his Incarnations of Immortality, and his Phaze series. Could you guess he is my favorite author? haha.
I have one problem with his books. They should all be trilogies. After book #3 they start going down hill in my opinion.

Anyway I like the sword of truth seires by Terry Goodkind.

Top Bottom