• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastest edge guarding tactic in the game. (actually useful: post 112)

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Mr. C: I know Nihonjin uses the walk-off turn around edgehog, except he runs, then uses a WD so he cancels the run without slowing down, then turnaround. I'm not sure but tommy also tested it with an AR and said it is the fastest method of edgehogging. It's in the sheik boards in a thread entitled "needle charge edgehog" or something like that.

Here's Tommy's post:

"The people getting the turnabout-needle-cancel-edgehog so easily are probably doing it in Corneria on the Great Fox fin. It's easier to do there because the momentum of going upwards carries you high enough that you can cancel the needle easier to an edge-hog. Try practicing on Hyrule Temple instead, it's a level platform.

My advice: Crouch right before running off, then you go from down to backwards easier.

Just to note: It is faster to walkoff-turnabout-edgehog, I tested it in AR. Try what I usually do and Dash to Slide (you'll technically be in a Standing position prior to falling off) to turnabout-walkoff."
It's fast, it's easy, what more do you need?

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
As odd as this might sound to some people, I can guarantee you it will work. Wes here beat me in his very first tournament before he knew any advanced tactics simply because of his good spacing and timing. As hard as it is to admit, he is still capable of beating me with this simple style at times, and it's very frustrating. I recommend people of all levels from newbies to veterans (I dislike the word "pro") should try this if you want to improve your spacing, timing or just your game in general.
omg spacing! something i need to work on sigh. everything else is good but my spacing.:urg:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Wow, I guess it could work for newbies, but I have pretty darn good spacing and I improved it playing with all the L cancels and whatnot. I use wavedashing to space a bit too, but not as much as I used to. I think I have a pretty good spacing game but maybe ill point out this thread to smash nubs who ask me how to get better.

red stone

Smash Ace
The thing I saw he was dashdancing around and dashed twoards someone but the dash got really really slow all of a sudden and he grabbed and it looked really werid lol.

Hylian, i think you saw the extremely rare "sticky walk". no one thinks to use it in a high tension match, but it's actually quite fun to see

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I'd say the fastest edgehog method is edge-jump-canceling a turn-around shine with Fox. Shining out of your dash keeps most of your horizontal momentum and you can turn around during that slide. Jumping alone is certainly faster than wavedashing and almost as fast as pivoting, and by sliding off you cancel the animation, which cuts down the time more.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Wow, I guess it could work for newbies, but I have pretty darn good spacing and I improved it playing with all the L cancels and whatnot. I use wavedashing to space a bit too, but not as much as I used to. I think I have a pretty good spacing game but maybe ill point out this thread to smash nubs who ask me how to get better.
how do you know your spacing is well?:confused:

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
The yellow rats hate u too!!

Long live the yellow rats!

I find this funny...

When I first discovered pivoting, a lot of people told me it's useless

Look at it now...

MuhahahahahahahaACK!!

*chokes on oatmeal cookie*
nope i will kill the rats no joke die rats

Top Bottom