• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastest edge guarding tactic in the game. (actually useful: post 112)

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Mr. C - So you run towards the edge, and then do a crouch a distance from the edge that allows you to pivot around and still have enough momentum to carry you off the edge?

Mr.C

Smash Master
Mr. C - So you run towards the edge, and then do a crouch a distance from the edge that allows you to pivot around and still have enough momentum to carry you off the edge?
while your running you cc close to the edge and instantly flick the stick the opposite direction of the edge as though you are pivoting. Your momentum will slide you off the level and you will hang on to the edge.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
actually i have a much faster edge guarding tactic

all you do run - cc - then pivot onto the edge.

heres an example of what it looks like although my version is faster because you automatically fall to the edge from a running animation. This can also be used to fair instantly the opposite direction if needed or bair a fast spike etcetc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UclyPgLKkhY

note: you dont have to be positioned to do the pivot edge hog. You can be running, dashing etc as long as you can get off a quick cc your fine.

here is another example except it is a little bit different (edgeguard pc uses)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g6DI-Ldj1DI

note: all you need is enough distance to start your walk animation then you can turn around and slide onto the edge.

there is also a very weird edgehog that is done by air dodging as though you are about to die because you air dodge facing outwards

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9g8s8aai2rs

Another fast edge guard is called sing canceling

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dl1aiC84lGk

EDIT: that is not me in either video

Were was this when I asked how pc chris does that like 5months ago? I knew about all except the pc chris one and that iceclimber one... you can do the sing one with yoshi btw.

Mr.C

Smash Master
well yoshi's is weird its just canceling his jumps

its pretty simple to do the pc one lols

just walk towards the edge and turn around =P

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
well yoshi's is weird its just canceling his jumps

its pretty simple to do the pc one lols

just walk towards the edge and turn around =P
you got any vidz of you playin mr.c? youtube? any real videos of you actually tryin....

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
fast like tree is sooo cool i like doing the tree grabe with dk lol it's fun thanks for the tech i would of never tried it on my own.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Treegrab with DK? You've got serious mindgames, son!

I've been able to use this with a certain amount of success. I love it especially on Fairing marths.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I've also experienced quite a bit of success treegrabbing during matches; it took a while to incorporate it into my mind games, but it can work very well.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Treegrab with DK? You've got serious mindgames, son!

I've been able to use this with a certain amount of success. I love it especially on Fairing marths.
you know its alot better to just run - cc - turn and shield instantly

it gives the same affects as if you were to run - cc - pivot but you shield'd

which means you can still grab, you can also aerial, wavedash away, block etcetc the only thing it takes away is being able to attack with jabs, fsmashs, and ftilts if you wanted to....but then again that would just be a regular pivot.

used for the same thing just easier....it also gives you alot more options then treegrabbing.

there is also a way to jc grab with your shield out so its the non lag grab with your shield out so your capable of power shielding/shield grabbing...very good vs falco and his lasers

Mr.C

Smash Master
pivoting on the edge is the same thing yoshi does except all characters can do it

G@BE

Smash Lord
My advice? Don't pivot.
Then die

@ Pimp

Practice moving your character back and forth. Kinda like dash dancing but more like just making him turn...

After that

Try dashing one way really quickly but as soon as you start your dash flick the control stick the other way so Flick it one way flick it back....

dont you use DK?
Cuz if you do forget about pivoting...

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Then die

@ Pimp

Practice moving your character back and forth. Kinda like dash dancing but more like just making him turn...

After that

Try dashing one way really quickly but as soon as you start your dash flick the control stick the other way so Flick it one way flick it back....

dont you use DK?
Cuz if you do forget about pivoting...
dk is for fun:)
and on a side note i hate the **** yellow rats!:pikachu::pikachu:

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
People often ask me, "Do you have any advice? What can I do to become better?" My response is always the same: you need better spacing. Since spacing is not always the easiest aspect of the game to practice, I want to tell you what I did to achieve good spacing.

1. Find a friend with about the same skill level.
2. Play thousands of matches using only A, c-stick, and jump. Do not use L/R at all.
3. Use all of the characters moves during the matches. Get a feel for what each one can do in every situation.

Over time one player will begin to dominate. The weaker player should then realize where and when his spacing is taken advantage of, because it is much easier to realize your mistakes and attempt to fix them when the game is not moving at the pace it does when L and R are allowed.

If you practice this way I guarantee your spacing will improve, and with it, your timing.
that´s why there exists wavedashing

Mr.C

Smash Master
that´s why there exists wavedashing
You're post made no sense, the whole point was to practice spacing to make you an overall better player. But you did not understand this...... maybe that's why FLT is one of the best players in the nation and you're not? yea....probably.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
For the longest time, my friend has played marth, without knowledge of ATs. After telling him that fox was the best, he decided to play him (I know -_-)... Well, his spacing was FAIL. Every attack he did fell short. He has a decent marth, for someone who can't L cancel ect. But his fox is horrid, to the point i can just jab him to death because he can't land a hit.

This change was recent, so he was very used to marth, he had been playing him after he found out you could earn him on CCC.com.. another noob moment, I know -_-;; His spacing was off, and it made all the difference.

Anyways, just trying to give an example, spacing is very important, all the ATs are just ways to make your hits better, so make sure you can land them first =P

Top Bottom