• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Farmer Pitches in! (Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons Farmer for Super Smash Bros Ultimate)

Would you like to see the Harvest Moon Farmer in Smash?

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
I saw it has a release date for Europe and Australia, I wonder when North America will get it?
Still no news from XSeed. I imagine it'll be around the same time though, as one wouldn't think it would take too long to remove the "u"s from neighbour, colour, and the like...

Ornl

Smash Ace
Top 3 Most wanted games according to Nintendo DREAM readers - May 2020
#1 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
#2 Rune Factory 5 !
#3 any Story of Seasons (fan wish) !

Congratulation !

Edit :

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Edit :
Interesting moveset ideas there! I do like the idea of a magic-focused farmer for a RE rep, if we get one of those. Hopefully we get more RE5 news soon...

In other news, Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is now being listed as coming out on July 28th on various US retailers. We'll see if that release turns out to be true (thus far it's just been said it'll be in July, so this may have been a placeholder by picking the last Tuesday in July). We'll also see if the release ends up being delayed due to the ongoing pandemic. I wouldn't be too surprised if they just let it release digitally, as a localization won't have the same "How do we ensure everyone gets the game at once!" problem as... Well... We already won't have everyone having the game at once, as it's been out in Japan for like half a year.

As for Farmer's odds in Smash... uh... I do not know what ARMS means for it's odds? We can say that Daemon X Machina is on PC now, so it's kind of odd Marvelous' only representation is via spirits for a not-especially-successful multiplatform game, but also Warframe has spirits now so I'm starting to think they don't mean much of anything.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I don't know how I would rate Farmer's chances at this point either. But I will say I am still confident that IF Marvelous does get a character in Smash it will be a Story of Seasons or Rune Factory character. I just don't know if that's going to happen at this point. Not that I ever was, but pre-Byleth, I got a little too confident. -_-

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I don't know how I would rate Farmer's chances at this point either. But I will say I am still confident that IF Marvelous does get a character in Smash it will be a Story of Seasons or Rune Factory character. I just don't know if that's going to happen at this point. Not that I ever was, but pre-Byleth, I got a little too confident. -_-
Yeah, that's very fair. I do feel like Senran Kagura presents some competition, but that's definitely a matter of legacy vs more current-feeling franchise and Smash tends to prioritize legacy.

I agree about the earlier confidence. Back when the DLC was just collecting third-parties, I definitely feel like Marvelous was a logical expectation. Koei Tecmo, Level-5, and Marvelous are the three biggest Japanese companies without playable characters in Smash Bros (ignoring Sony). With so many third-parties in Smash, they start to feel like almost noticeable absences at this point; however, with first-parties on the table, possible spirit upgrades, companies already in Smash Bros still not having had DLC characters (ex/ Capcom, Bandai Namco, and such), and only 5 slots left... The odds definitely feel lower...

I am glad first-parties are back and am super hyped for the ARMS character, but it definitely does make Farmer feel more like a pipe-dream and less of a dark horse.

amageish

Smash Master
Fantastic set-up! I like the choice of classic mode especially. Also great music selection! The two RF songs are nice touches.

Also, now that I can post without double-posting, I can say the franchise that has stolen Bokujo Monogatari's skin and now wears it as a mask is getting a new entry this year...

The fact Nintendo UK both tweeted this and publishes Story of Seasons titles feels... weird to me? Here's hoping it's good though.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Fantastic set-up! I like the choice of classic mode especially. Also great music selection! The two RF songs are nice touches.

Also, now that I can post without double-posting, I can say the franchise that has stolen Bokujo Monogatari's skin and now wears it as a mask is getting a new entry this year...

The fact Nintendo UK both tweeted this and publishes Story of Seasons titles feels... weird to me? Here's hoping it's good though.
dbe.jpg

Yeah part of me hopes if we get some Story of Seasons content in Smash, it would shine the light on the whole naming situation for the general public.

amageish

Smash Master
So... Image Frame Investment, a subsidarary of Tencent, is now the majority owner of Marvelous. This is apparently due to Marvelous realizing they need more funds to function in the modern world, especially due to the ongoing pandemic.

I'm not sure how to feel about this personally, but I doubt Story of Seasons will be affected much. We may get localizations a bit faster with one of the largest tech companies in the world supporting them. I know people are concerned about Tencent having a political influence on games companies, but it's not like Story of Seasons is political. The closest thing it has is same-sex relationships, but even those only exist in certain localizations and are called "friends" or "roommates" in other languages.

So... Yeah. Definitely a surprising announcement to wake up to.

As for Smash, I doubt this will matter, especially given how the deal has apparently only been brokered now. I know some people use Tencent's role as Nintendo's distributor in China to argue that other partially-Tencent-owned companies, such as Epic Games or Riot Games, have increased odds of Smash representation, but that doesn't seem likely to apply here.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Got the remake pre loaded and just waiting until Tuesday to play, really excited to hop back into one of my favorite entries. Hoping we can get something to represent the series in smash, preferably a character.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Dang... Feel like I neglected this place lol

For all intents and purposes, I entered this year planning to put most of my focus on this thread in particular, given out of all my threads, it seemed the most likely to have a fair shot. Then the ARMS announcement happened and my Min Min thread went for an unexpected 3 month wild ride up until ultimately getting the one million dollar jackpot and morphing into the Min Min Social it is today. Didn't expect that in a million years, especially not in 2020, lol.

now with Min Min pretty much all said and done, I do again intend to put a good amount of TLC in this thread in particular (I'm absolutely confident Meowstic and Daytona USA Hornet don't stand a chance whatsoever lol). Probably update it a bit, and course, actually keep track of everyone who ended up voting in the poll up top (in retrospect, that poll was a really bad idea and I sorta wish I didn't make it lol).

Thanks once again for sticking with, and please, if y'all have any thoughts on ways to potentially improve this thread, please lemme know.

I still think think we're a bit of a longshot, but hey that's what I initially said regarding Min Min, and Smash sure loves them dark horses

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
This character, Farmer Pete. Is the only character I want anymore. Honestly. Yeah, him. Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons was my addiction as a child, I remember at 10 years old and seeing the SNES game in Nintendo Power for the first time, and it really intrigued me... a game about... Farming? Totally mind blowing in its day, pretty much revolutionized the industry, revolutionized the life sim genre.

Started on Nintendo, and remained Nintendo faithful for generations. Now over 25 games later, it's an important an influential piece of gaming history. A fun creative moveset could be made around growing vegetables to use as attacks, and partnering with farm animals for even more fun gimmicky gameplay.

and if not a playable character, a Mii Fighter costume would do just fine. The toy-like face of the original Farmer Pete in Harvest Moon 64 has a simple Mii-like face anyhow. Just anything Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons would be appreciated. The series has earned its place in the halls of gaming history, influencing later game series like Animal Crossing, the Sims, Farmville, Minecraft, Stardew Valley, etc etc. A whole new genre, and a series that should get the highest honors of being included in Smash Bros..

Ornl

Smash Ace
Nintendo DREAM most wanted Sept. 2020
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 – 25.5%
  2. Rune Factory 5 – 13.7%
  3. Bayonetta 3 – 11.6%
  4. Story of Seasons Series (New Work) – 11.5%
  5. Bravely Default II – 6.8%
  6. Momotaro Dentetsu ~Showa Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!~ – 6.5%
  7. Shin Megami Tensei V – 6.7%
  8. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition – 5.8%
  9. Famicom Tantei Club Kieta Koukeisha – 5.4%

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So this is only somewhat tangentially related to Story of Seasons/Farmer, but the Eiyuden Chronicle kickstarter just ended today (Suikoden spiritual successor) and their final stretch goal revealed during a live stream was a companion game (app?) to be released ahead of the game which they specifically compared to Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons.

The official description they gave later on was as follows:

Information about Companion Game:

It will release before the main game, which will hopefully hold you over during the excruciatingly long 2 and a half year wait.
It will feature a variety of different “lifestyle” mini-games that will allow you to gather a wide variety of different materials to build up your town/farm/house.
The goal is to allow these materials to transfer over to Eiyuden Chronicle allowing you a head-start at crafting some of the different items/armor/etc in the game.
You will get to meet a few of the characters that appear in Eiyuden Chronicle and get to know them a bit earlier.
There may be some kind of battle mechanic, but we are still talking it over.

So they only referenced Harvest Moon when they initially revealed it, but even so I thought this was really cool. One of the things that I think gives Farmer a bit of an edge is just how notable and influential Story of Seasons has been as a series. That it comes up as a point of inspiration even now in places like this I think is a testament to that. And I don't think that the broader gaming public, or specifically the Smash community, really gives the series credit for that.

It's not the biggest series ever, and it might not be hype in the same way that say Kingdom Hearts content might be for the average gamer, but it is a series with a strong legacy legacy and influence. And honestly if you look at the 3rd parties that are already in Smash, most of them are not just iconic, but trailblazers for their genre. Dragon Quest, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Fatal Fury, Castlevania, Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man. Not all of them, since we have characters like Bayonetta and Joker who are much more recent, but it certainly seems to be a nonzero factor.

Also, hilariously, the company they are using for the companion game is Natsume-Atari which actually resulted in them having to push out this clarification:

To clarify for everyone: Natsume-Atari is not the Harvest Moon dev team. They previously worked on Wild Guns and The Ninja Saviors remakes, which are known for having high quality pixel-based graphics. Adding 700 yen to your pledge will net you this companion game, the goal has been met.

Since you know, Natsume/Marvelous drama, some people got, understandably, concerned.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
So they only referenced Harvest Moon when they initially revealed it, but even so I thought this was really cool. One of the things that I think gives Farmer a bit of an edge is just how notable and influential Story of Seasons has been as a series. That it comes up as a point of inspiration even now in places like this I think is a testament to that. And I don't think that the broader gaming public, or specifically the Smash community, really gives the series credit for that.

It's not the biggest series ever, and it might not be hype in the same way that say Kingdom Hearts content might be for the average gamer, but it is a series with a strong legacy legacy and influence. And honestly if you look at the 3rd parties that are already in Smash, most of them are not just iconic, but trailblazers for their genre. Dragon Quest, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Fatal Fury, Castlevania, Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man. Not all of them, since we have characters like Bayonetta and Joker who are much more recent, but it certainly seems to be a nonzero factor.
I agree. By elimination, I think Farmer is a logical choice. Even if some choices don't make sense (Bayonetta), the question I keep repeating to myself is: Which third-party fighters make more sense than the characters refused below?

In my opinion...

Bamco
☒ Base game: Pac-Man only.
☐ DLC: none.
• Refused: Gil, Heihachi, The Prince.
• Improbable: Agumon, KOS-MOS, Mametchi.

• Probable: Tales rep.

Tales because : JRPG rep
☐ Base game: none.
Sm4sh DLC: Cloud.
Ultimate DLC: Hero, Joker.

• Refused: Mana rep, Octopath Traveler rep.
• Improbables: 2B, Crono, Disgaea rep, KOS-MOS, Mystery Dungeon rep, Phantasy Star rep, Suikoden rep, Ys rep.
• Probable: Tales rep.

Capcom
☒ Base game: Mega Man.
Sm4sh DLC: Ryu.
Ultimate DLC: none.
• Refused: Monster Hunter, Resident Evil rep.
• Improbable: Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright.

• Probable: Dante.

Sega
☒ Base game: Sonic
Sm4sh DLC: more or less Bayonetta.
Ultimate DLC: Joker (Atlus).
• Refused: Akira Yuki.
• Probable: none (Arle Nadja, Sakura Shinguji, SMT rep...).

Project X Zone 2 rep
project_x_zone_2_characters.jpg

☒ Base game: "Mega Man".
Sm4sh DLC: Ryu.
• Refused: Akira Yuki, Heihachi, Resident Evil rep.
• Improbable: KOS-MOS, Phoenix Wright, Sakura Shinguji.

• Probable: Dante, Tales rep.

Konami
☒ Base game: Belmont, Snake (Kojima).
• Refused: Bomberman, Goemon.
• Propable: none (Frogger, Suikoden rep).

Squenix
☒ Square DLC: Cloud.
☒ Enix DLC: Hero.
• Refused: Mana rep, Octopath Traveler rep.
• Improbable: 2B, Bub & Bob, Crono, Geno (fan wish only influenced and conditioned because Sakurai has named him several times), Sora...

• Probable: Eidos DLC (Lara Croft), Taito DLC (Space Invaders).

Playstation All-Stars killers
* and
Totaku figure killers (for Amiibo)
(strategy: kill the Sony competitor before he appear)
☒ Base game: Mega Man, Pac-Man, Snake, Sonic*.
☒ Sm4sh DLC: All! (Bayonetta, Cloud, Ryu*)
☒ Ultimate DLC: Joker, Banjo-Kazooie*, Terry.
• Refused: Heihachi*, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil rep, Ryu Hayabusa, Ubisoft rep.
• Improbable : Agent 47*, Amaterasu, Bloodborne Hunter*, Joanna Dark*, Kratos*, Lemming*, SMT rep, Spyro*, Sol Badguy, Viewtiful Joe*, WipEout rep*...

• Probable: Crash Bandicoot, Dante, Lara Croft, Space Invaders*, Tales rep.

Microsoft
☒ DLC: Banjo-Kazooie.
• Improbable: Master Chief.
• Probable: Steve.

Steve because : (ex) Indie rep

• Refused: Cuphead, Sans, Shovel Knight.
• Improbables: Doomguy, Reimu Hakurei.

• Probable: Steve.

Other Western
• Refused: Dr Wright, Tetromino, Ubisoft rep (Altaïr/Rabbid/Rayman), Vault Boy (and Doomguy/Dovahkiin), Warframe rep.
• Probable: Crash Bandicoot.

PlatinumGames
Sm4sh DLC: Bayonetta.
• Refused: Astral Chain rep, Wonder Red.
• Probable: none.

SNK
☒ DLC: Terry.
• Refused: Nakoruru.
• Probable: none (Metal Slug vehicle).

So, Fihting Game rep
☒ Sm4sh DLC: Ryu.
☒ Ultimate DLC: Terry.

• Refused: Heihachi!
• Probable: none (Sol Badguy)!

M-rated
☒ Base game: Konami rep
☒ DLC: Gunner (Bayonetta, Joker)
• Refused: Solaire, Yuri Kozukata.
• Improbable: Bethesda rep, Ryu Hayabusa, Travis Touchdown.

• Probable: Dante.

Toon female rep
☐ DLC: None.
• Refused: Frisk.
• Improbables: Amaterasu, Arle Nadja, Katriel, Reimu Hakurei.

• Probable: Shantae.

Non-toon female rep
☒ Sm4sh DLC: Bayonetta.
☐ Ultimate DLC: none.
• Refused: Akira Yuki, Jill Valentine, Nakoruru.
• Probable: Lara croft.

Toon male rep
☒ Base game: Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic
☐ Sm4sh DLC: None.
☒ Ultimate DLC: Banjo-Kazooie.
• Refused: Bomberman, Cuphead, Dr Wright, Goemon, The Prince, Rabbid, Rayman, Sans, Shovel Knight, Vault Boy, Wonder Red.
• Improbables: Agumon, Bub & Bob, Frogger, Geno, Level-5 rep, Mametchi, Metal Slug.

• Probable: Crash Bandicoot, Farmer, Steve.

Final review: about Heihachi, Tales of, Dante and Crash Bandicoot
  • Heihachi was the logical character that's missing alongside Ryu and Terry.
  • Tales is to JRPGs what Tekken is to fighting games. Tales rep has no more reason than Heihachi to be chosen.
  • Dante is another "demon" hunter with guns like Bayonetta and Joker. He's Bayonetta's "father", but Smash Bros has already chosen the "daughter".
  • Crash Bandicoot is to platform games what Tekken is to fighting games. Tales rep has no more reason than Heihachi to be chosen.
Ultimate doesn't need more Playstation All-Star killer Ultimate. Proof : none of this 4 is in FP1!
My forecasts would therefore be:
  • Ultimate mascot for cash: Aliens (Space Invaders) / Lara Croft / Steve.
  • Ultimate "good boys and girls" rep: Farmer.
  • other promotion series.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Nintendo DREAM most wanted Oct. 2020
momotetsu.png

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 – 29.2%
  2. New Pokémon Snap – 28%
  3. Rune Factory 5 – 13.7%
  4. Momotaro Dentetsu~Showa Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!~ – 9.7%
  5. Story of Seasons (New Work) – 9.3%
  6. Shin Megami Tensei V – 8.5%
  7. Pokémon UNITE – 7.8%
  8. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) – 7.7%
  9. Bayonetta 3 – 7.4%
  10. Bravely Default II – 6.2%

amageish

Smash Master

Also, hilariously, the company they are using for the companion game is Natsume-Atari which actually resulted in them having to push out this clarification:

To clarify for everyone: Natsume-Atari is not the Harvest Moon dev team. They previously worked on Wild Guns and The Ninja Saviors remakes, which are known for having high quality pixel-based graphics. Adding 700 yen to your pledge will net you this companion game, the goal has been met.

Since you know, Natsume/Marvelous drama, some people got, understandably, concerned.
Super cool to hear! I don't know if they purposefully pick franchises for Smash that have the legacy/influence to be (lovingly) ripped off by others, or if the types of third party franchises they pick just happen to have such legacy/influence, but it is a pattern nonetheless. I'd say Bayo and Joker don't buck that trend either, honestly, as the former did definitely make some waves in the hack-and-slash subgenre and the latter's visual design philosophy has influneced a tonne of games including Smash Ultimate itself.

That Natsume-Atari company name is very funny. That drama just wasn't confusing enough already!

Story of Seasons (New Work) – 9.3%
I'm impressed by the amount of hype people have for SoS for it continue to chart amongst Dream readers when we don't even know what's coming up next yet...

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I'd say Bayo and Joker don't buck that trend either, honestly, as the former did definitely make some waves in the hack-and-slash subgenre and the latter's visual design philosophy has influneced a tonne of games including Smash Ultimate itself.
When I mentioned them specifically it was more because they are still relatively new compared to what I would consider as having a legacy. Though Persona has definitely been around for a while so I could be totally off there. And even then you’re not wrong they are both influential despite that.

amageish

Smash Master
When I mentioned them specifically it was more because they are still relatively new compared to what I would consider as having a legacy. Though Persona has definitely been around for a while so I could be totally off there. And even then you’re not wrong they are both influential despite that.
Yeah, that's valid. I think you can say their impact is large enough that it'd be weird for them to not end up having a legacy, but I know what you mean - it's weird to discuss the legacy of games from the current generation. MegaTen as a whole does have a decent legacy, though I think a lot of it is kind of more trivia then publicly-known influences (ex/ UNDERTALE was in part inspired by demon negotiation, which is a feature that returned to the Persona franchise in P5)...

Farmer and Villager interacting would be a uniquely fun thing to see though... It's weird to discuss Animal Crossing as the newer franchise, but it is in this context haha.

amageish

Smash Master

Woo! RF5 trailer. I honestly hadn't realized that it was once supposed to be a 2020 game... Oops...

It looks super good though. It's interesting to see reaction videos and who does/doesn't realize that this is a JRPG take on Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon. Some people instantly start talking about SoS; some people go "Wait, why is there farming and JRPG here at once" haha...

Ornl

Smash Ace
rf1.jpg
rf2.jpg
rf3.jpg
rf4.jpg

It's incredibly ugly, I don't understand, what a shame!
This game shouldn't be released in 2021, but in 2006.
This trailer killed the requirement. It just help to better
appreciate the beauty of Monster Hunter Stories 2. :/

amageish

Smash Master
It's incredibly ugly, I don't understand, what a shame!
This game shouldn't be released in 2021, but in 2006.
This trailer killed the requirement. It just help to better
appreciate the beauty of Monster Hunter Stories 2. :/
It's definitely not as pretty/stylish as Monster Hunter Stories 2, but I don't think it looks bad personally. Definitely a bit generic in parts, but the English trailer not showing any dialogue boxes with the prettier 2D sprites kind of makes the genericness stand out.

It would be fantastic to get a stylish SoS game one day, but that just doesn't seem to be Marvelous' strong suit...

Ornl

Smash Ace
The night has passed and things are much better. Now my brain sees the positive because I had hidden at me all the beautiful shots, sorry for that ^^' The Japanese trailer is even better! The texts give a better overview, and the animation of the landscape where the hero gets up has true charm! The extract with "Persona" style (American version), the house and monsters artowrks (teaser) give a more global vision.
rf5.jpg
rf7.jpg

Ornl

Smash Ace
My forecasts would therefore be:
  • Ultimate mascot for cash: Aliens (Space Invaders) / Lara Croft / Steve.
  • Ultimate "good boys and girls" rep: Farmer.
  • other promotion series.
Oh... Nintendo therefore needed the Bill Gates company to find new toony characters and thus ensure a profit. So, Steve is the Indie rep ahead of Shovel Knight, Sans, Cuphead and Doomguy, and the FPS rep ahead of Master Chief, Doomguy, Dovahkiin and Vault Boy. Smash Bros is right.
But Smash Bros is definitely no longer a 'Nintendo museum'. Minor series of the Nintendo family aren't among the priorities of Smash Bros. What future for Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Puyo Puyo, Tamagotchi... and especially Story of Seasons? Should we turn the page?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Smash Bros is definitely no longer a 'Nintendo museum'. Minor series of the Nintendo family aren't among the priorities of Smash Bros. What future for Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Puyo Puyo, Tamagotchi... and especially Story of Seasons? Should we turn the page?
I kind of doubt Steve signals any massive shifts in terms of character selection processes, as Minecraft is another iconic franchise with Nintendo history, but we are at the point in the DLC cycle where there are far more characters who feel likely then there are characters who will get in. Farmer has a lot going for them, but it's possible they just won't be a priority.

Steve does at least destroy the "Farmer is for casual gamers who wouldn't buy Smash DLC" argument though, so that's nice.

That said, I also do think it's plausible we (and/or Rune Factory) get a Mii Costume tomorrow though, if they "theme" the costumes around the characters. Story of Seasons definitely had an impact on Minecraft mechanically, so it'd be a nice nod...

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
If all levels are now remade to work with blocks, they could as well work with Bokujou's blocky crop tiles system :p

Maybe reaching a bit :laugh:

But you know what I find odd? That despite all the close connections between Nintendo and Story of Seasons, including crossover content during the 3DS era, we haven't had a spirit event yet. I just find it odd, which obviously means we are 100% getting in no question :^)

A bit delusional but I will embrace this delusion lol. The series previously named Harvest Moon was what drove me to buy 100% of my Nintendo consoles. Farmer is my most wanted since DQ got it and the last character I truly WANT in Smash. Sure I'd be happy if Crash got in, or Spyro, those are games that defined my childhood, but they aren't what I think of when I think Nintendo, on the contray. Same thing with Reimu and what not. Mr and Ms Farmer however? Its the perfect mix of nostalgia, love and being very, very much Nintendo relevant.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Another very slight positive: Steve 'kills' Doomguy, because Microsoft (which owns DOOM) has already 2 DLC + 1 fully Costume (Vault Boy).
From a certain point of view, this can be a very slightly favorable for Story of Seasons, here is how.

Now, Farmer is the best to represent the SNES again
  • The generation of Game Boy & N64 has 1 third-party rep,
  • The generation of the NES has 6 third-party rep,
  • In the middle, the generation of the Game Boy and the SNES have 2 third-party rep. Is that all Smash Bros can offer?
2columns with farmer.jpg

With 43 different games in its history (spin-off included), Story of Seasons would be the best series that is still active. I think it can be ''ultimate'. Its only rivals were Tales and DOOM. But Tales seems like a dead end since Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (more important JRPG) are in Ultimate. If Tales were to come into game after being a Mii Costume, the series would have arrived in the base game, not in DLC. Mm... Geno ? Geno is popularity only because Sakurai has named him before ; he can't be 'ultimate'. By now, Story of Season seems to become the likely best choice to represent the Game Boy / SNES generation.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Another very slight positive: Steve 'kills' Doomguy, because Microsoft (which owns DOOM) has already 2 DLC + 1 fully Costume (Vault Boy).
Honestly, it doesn't

The characters in the pass were probably decided on way ahead of time before the Bethesda acquisition was even a thing. And the acquisition isn't supposed to take shape til like sometime next year

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
The characters in the pass were probably decided on way ahead of time before the Bethesda acquisition was even a thing. And the acquisition isn't supposed to take shape til like sometime next year
It doesn't change much. Vault Boy was already the first major clue that canceled Bethesda, and Steve just represented (ex) Indie games and first-person games, just like DOOM.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I mean, technically Travis was never a Marvelous rep as Grasshopper Studios actually owns the IP...
That never stopped people from saying they were in competition though. Or that Farmer was unlikely due to Travis.

Ornl

Smash Ace
If Travis was from Marvelous, that would have been a very very bad omen for Farmer in my opinion. The Costumes aren't teasers for other Characters from same companies ; and I guess the marketing team is consciously maintaining this false trail. In order to offer unexpected Characters, I think Nintendo made some completely voluntary omissions (Geno, Monster Hunter, Tales, Porky...).

• The Heihachi and Gil Costumes aren't going to help any Tales or Bamco rep. There has been no Bamco rep since the appearance of Bamco Costumes in Sm4sh. Tales has no reason to arrive in DLC when it would have made sense for him to appear in the base game (like Chrom), and an 'utimate' DLC Character is "never seen in Smash, whatever the form" (Reggie's words).
• The Costumes of Goemon and Bomberman aren't going to help Momotetsu / Frogger.
• The Costumes of Rabbitz and Altaïr aren't going to help Rayman.
• The Vault Boy Costume isn't going to help Doomguy / Dovahkiin.
• If Travis belonged to Marvelous, I would have done my mourning about Farmer today.

Ornl

Smash Ace
You don't feel like reading this :/
My opinion is that each detail can provide clues.

Steve is a farmer
After analysis, It seems that Steve's mechanics are based on "farming". I mean, for sure Farmer really doesn't need any "farming" gameplay, I'm saying "farming" is called "farming". Steve's a miner/lumberjack ant not a breeder/agricultural farmer, but he farms resources. So in a way, Steve is a farmer.

Steve is a fisherman
2 new characters in Ultimate now use a fishing rod. Isabelle then Steve appeared in Ultimate and use a fishing rod. I don't think Smash Bros is still "promoting fishing" thanks to Farmer. I know that the fishing rod is first and foremost a visual choice and not a real game mechanic. No one will say “another fisherman!”, but I no longer see a new character who can fish coming in DLC.

Steve is a summoner
Steve
uses summons from the blocks and a mine cart to control the field and climb high. That's what I imagine Farmer would do: summon animals and plants, and use a mount to control the field and climb high. Visually, Steve and Farmer would be very different, of course, and Story of Seasons has iconic, identity and emblematic elements (as non-anthropomorphic animals!), but the overall concept could have important similarities.

How then could Farmer be well received after Steve? I'm afraid Nintendo hasn't planned a 2nd farmer/fisherman/summoner – less important than Steve – to present in this Fighter Pass to customers playing Ultimate. However, Story of Seasons could now have a nice collection of Esprit, featuring Olimar, Duck Hunt, Villager, Isabelle, Steve... to represent the series.

amageish

Smash Master

Well, this happened.

I'll need to see a bit more to form an opinion, but, hey. It's a new Story of Seasons title! Looks like there is a lot of freedom involved in terms of farm layout. Hopefully we get some character trailers soon!

Also Story of Seasons has goten some surprisingly fancy-seeming merch if you live in the UK...

Ornl

Smash Ace
Pioneers of Olive Town doesn't seem to be pioneering in something. It's impossible not to think of Animal Crossing, the second best-selling Nintendo Switch game, with 22.4 million units. Such sales have probably steered the scope statements to replicate the formula that works. Despite its invitation to nature, this Story of Seasons has an aftertaste of pre-made industrial. Looks like a transitional episode to fill up the cash till, while waiting for the promise of a new experience.
Creative crafts
(social) – Thrive in choosing a craft and artistic specialization, then become a member of the "Joyous Volunteer Association".
(graphic design) – Dress up a gray world with new sculpts, colors or greenery. Stop traditional "catholic weddings" (white dress and church), and find a real identity (blue clothes like the iconic feather, or costume design workshop).
SeasonsExamples of needs
- SpringCreate gifts for lovers.
- SummerSummery creations.
- AutumnEnlightenment creations.
- WintersWarm creations.

Life in community
(social) – Live in a community of 4 farmers (you + 3 NPC with different strong ego) who can each accommodate 1 "spouse" and 1 child (except the gay), then face social tensions and heal soul wounds to find harmony.
SeasonsPersonality traits
(choose 2 or the same 2 times)
Events
- Springsubtlety/falsityEveryone prepares the summer as they want.
- Summeringenuity/impetuosityThe best memories can be created with all the "family".
- Autumnfirmness/superiorityEveryone prepares the winter as they want.
- Wintersadaptability/contrarietyTensions tend to explode, and some NPC want to leave.

Host welcome (social/farm) – In spring and fall, manage the reception of visitors and woofers with meeting new people and discovering new intrigues.

Permaculturie and ecological degrowth (farm) – Use natural combinations to find the optimal solutions: make a plant grow better next to another species, attract pollinator insects, repel a type of insect, create a phyto-purification system, accumulate / direct rainwater, freeing yourself from the electricity supplie, etc. Find the best cycle and recycling systems, find the best sustainable solution. "Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed" — Lavoisier

Insects !
(universe) – Give more importance to insects.
Create important NPCs based on insects: predator, scavenger, symbiote, parasite, builder, member of a destructive swarm, lonely, beehive worker.
SeasonsInsects & symbols examples
- SpringButterfly: rebirth.
- SummerFirefly: sharing.
- AutumnSpider: cleaning.
- WintersBee: learning.

Animalism
(farm) – Save animals from intensive animal farming, then ruin intensive farming thanks to your activism.
(graphic design) – Humans are animals. Why would humans have more detailed manga eyes? These eyes could be closer to those of animals, similar to the graphic style from the Layton series.

#7 (Bonus) – These 6 points in one social-farming game.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm so happy to see them continue the more classic N64/PS1/GBC art style with Pioneers of Olive Town. Something we haven't seen since Magical Melody or so. I'm sure remaking Mineral Town taught the team the values of going back to the roots of the series, to then carry them forward with future games. And I like what I'm seeing here. I just hope there's clothing options to where we can get the classic Pete outfit and hat.

Speaking of clothing, I'd still be down for a Farmer Pete Mii fighter costume, the dude already looks like a Mii anyway.
unnamed.png

amageish

Smash Master
The game definitely feels like a modernized version of the original SNES games, without major overhauls to mechanics, but I am not opposed to a QoL/customization-improved version of the core SoS formula.

I doubt it could be that influenced by New Horizons given the development timelines, but I definitely do see Stardew having an impact on it...

Also RF5 boxart is very pretty! Yay!

Anyway, as for Smash Bros, at this point, I'm definitely setting my expectations at Mii Costume or Spirit Event. One could argue Steve is good for Farmer because casual gaming + aspects of the mining mechanics could be reused if they felt like it, but there's a lot of competition and Marvelous not having a rep in Smash Bros isn't as strong of a point when the number of companies that collab with Nintendo regularly greatly outnumber the amount of remaining DLC spots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom