• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Famicom Tantei Detective Ayumi Tachibana Thread (There Was Almost an Ayumi Costume in Bayonetta)

Do you support Ayumi Tachibana and the detective?

• Total voters

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It's kinda a Captain Falcon case. Sure, he was already known as a bounty hunter since the first F-zero game, and he his seen delivering some punches in the comic, in the F-Zero manual, but he is just sitting in his Blue Falcon in games.

Yet, his appearance and background alone makes him a unique fighter in SSB64.

The only thing to avoid for characters like Ayumi is to simply be a human Game&Watch that uses various items, without any special gimmick.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Assuming this individual must have been a fan of the game, he came up with some "confidence" gimmick that reflects her emotional state from both games (Working a bit like Lucario's Aura Gimmick, but on a more statistical scale that affects the way she attacks). I've got to say that it at least looks much better than AngstyGuy's moveset (Who probably didn't play the game that much) and actually suits her timid nature.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69783997

Edit: I have to stop it with the damn errors

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This thread is apparently still open.. so I'm just here to post some major news:

Thanks to Nobie for this, I'm surprised she was actually being considered for Melee.
It's nice to know.
Now I think the only problem she has currently is getting a new game, which probably won't happen anytime soon.
No way! Ayumi was actually considered for Melee?! This just blew my mind:surprised:......and REALLY made my day. Today's my birthday, so learning about this really is quite a little birthday present! Especially considering Ayumi was another retro I supported for Smash 4!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This thread is apparently still open.. so I'm just here to post some major news:

Thanks to Nobie for this, I'm surprised she was actually being considered for Melee.
It's nice to know.
Now I think the only problem she has currently is getting a new game, which probably won't happen anytime soon.
No way! Ayumi was actually considered for Melee?! This just blew my mind:surprised:......and REALLY made my day. Today's my birthday, so learning about this really is quite a little birthday present! Especially considering Ayumi was another retro I supported for Smash 4!

D

Deleted member

Yet, his appearance and background alone makes him a unique fighter in SSB64.
His appearance maybe, since he's inspired by the Tokusatsu masked hero genre, but nothing about his background as a bounty hunter screams "FALCON PUNCH!" (c wut I did dere) and the like.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Assuming this individual must have been a fan of the game, he came up with some "confidence" gimmick that reflects her emotional state from both games (Working a bit like Lucario's Aura Gimmick, but on a more statistical scale that affects the way she attacks). I've got to say that it at least looks much better than AngstyGuy's moveset (Who probably didn't play the game that much) and actually suits her timid nature.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69783997

Edit: I have to stop it with the damn errors
The problem with this, while great, is that limiting a major part of the character's gimmick to a Final Smash is obviously very damning for her in any match with no items.
Instead, Confrontation should replace her standard special like Little Mac's KO Uppercut.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The problem with this, while great, is that limiting a major part of the character's gimmick to a Final Smash is obviously very damning for her in any match with no items.
Instead, Confrontation should replace her standard special like Little Mac's KO Uppercut.
That last one is something I can agree on, limiting an integral part of your moveset to power up your Final Smash (Something that won't be really used in competitive matches) isn't the way to go.

Confrontation would be a perfect neutral special and she at least needs one that can be used for violence. While I get the idea of dodging from the foreground to the background (That guy's idea for a neutral special), I fell that it is a move that doesn't need to be there. All the other specials are fine as they are, except the down special affecting the new neutral special.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
His appearance maybe, since he's inspired by the Tokusatsu masked hero genre, but nothing about his background as a bounty hunter screams "FALCON PUNCH!" (c wut I did dere) and the like.
By background I meant "He is a racer" (basically). This alone is quite unique among the Smash characters.

Well, we have all the Mario characters who enjoy karting, but it's different.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Having a school girl fighting alongside Mario, Link and Pikachu is too weird now? Really? She easily stands out as unique just with her appearance alone. Being a detective easily makes her full of so much room for moveset potential. Look at Phoenix Wright in MvC3.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Having a school girl fighting alongside Mario, Link and Pikachu is too weird now? Really? She easily stands out as unique just with her appearance alone. Being a detective easily makes her full of so much room for moveset potential. Look at Phoenix Wright in MvC3.
THANK YOU!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Phoenix Wright's main thing in MvC3 was poking people with his pointing finger while yelling "Objection". He also had paperwork and his assistant to give his moveset that extra oomph. What's Ayumi's main thing?

This is why I supported Duck Hunt Dog and not her... the dog's main thing was the fourth wall breaking NES Zapper because that's exactly what you do in the NES Zapper games, you use the light gun to shoot from the fourth wall... and he had stuff from NES Zapper games like ducks, clay pigeons, cans, and gunmen to give his moveset that extra oomph.

This is also why Wii Fit Trainer got in and she didn't... her main thing was yoga poses because that's exactly what you do in Wii Fit games, you make yoga poses on the Balance Board... and she had stuff from Wii Fit games like hula hoops, soccer balls, and deep breathing to give her moveset that extra oomph.

What's Ayumi's main thing? You guys say she is a detective. Okay, so she is a detective... what did her detective work involve in her game? What did she do in the game? What do I (the player) do in the game?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Well, this made my day. It just shows that Sakurai can't avoid the "pls include my favorite character" conversations even when among Japanese super-celebrities.

Reminds me of Sailor Moon... but she doesn't have powers like Sailor Moon... I guess I don't really support a powerless Sailor Moon lookalike. :ohwell:
Going by that logic, DHD is a powerless Looney Tunes lookalike, Captain Falcon is a powerless tokusatsu hero lookalike and Wii Fit Trainer is a powerless... person.
You don't see people hating on Captain Falcon because he doesn't have big guns and giant robots. That's because he's not a tokusatsu hero, he just looks like one.

I know. But she is no Sailor Moon...

What can Ayumi bring to Smash from her games? Take Duck Hunt Dog for example, he had ducks, clay pigeons, and the off-screen hunter with the NES Zapper - all of them are part of DHD's moveset like I always suggested. So what are in Ayumi's games that she could use in her moveset and would they make Ayumi an interesting fighter?
Just to give an example, she comes from a text game where you must interrogate people. So, she could have a special attack based on "making people talk". It could stun the enemy for a while, or force them to taunt, giving you an opening to attack.
And, tbh, most movesets I've seen to Duck Hunt before its reveal revolved around laughing. "He can laugh in his taunt, and laughs forward for his fsmash, and for his up-b he laughs so hard it launches him up." (Mind you, I'm not talking about the movesets you've made.) Sakurai managed to make Duck Hunt a fun, unique character that really brings a lot to the roster. We should just leave it to Sakurai.
Notice that Sakurai didn't say he didn't include Ayumi because she didn't have moveset potencial, like he said about Bubbles and Chrom. He said he didn't include her because she wasn't known overseas. Inclunding three Japanese-exclusive characters in Melee would probably be too much, specially since Sakurai expected such characters to be cut in the Western release.

I vote for summoning "The Girl Who Stands In the Back" for her Final Smash. It would scare the other fighters, leaving them paralyzed or forcing them to run away. Maybe add some "Negative Zone" effects into the mix.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm honestly mixed on this one.

On the one hand, schoolgirls are great, and she is very pleasing on the eye. Having a traditional Japanese student running around scoping out her enemies with a magnifying glass and whacking them with a briefcase would be pretty cool.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what she does to distinguish herself from other potential characters. I'm not going to play the "she has no moveset potential" card, because we all know Sakurai can make anything work - he made a yoga instructor and a dog / duck duo work, for crying out loud! But I don't think "she's a detective" is enough to warrant her inclusion alone. There are plenty of other potential characters that, quite bluntly, have a more interesting motif than solving mysteries.

I mean, if were going solely by "puzzle-solving detective genius", my vote will always go to Professor Layton (and before the inevitable third-party argument is brought up, it's a hypothetical scenario based solely on that singular element: to wit, that they are both detectives). So I don't think that's really a sufficient argument to validate her as a separate character.

She's also incredibly obscure (I doubt most of us would have heard of her were it not for her Melee trophy), but I'll let that slide. Considering Sakurai specifically expressed interest in her, that's a pretty huge point in her favour. That, and considering the characters I support, it'd be hypocritical of me to suggest that obscurity should be a damning factor.

I don't know. I want to support her, because she does sound interesting, but unless somebody is willing to specifically vindicate her merits to me, I'm going to have to remain neutral.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
What's Ayumi's main thing? You guys say she is a detective. Okay, so she is a detective... what did her detective work involve in her game? What did she do in the game? What do I (the player) do in the game?
Isn't that kind of similar to what you're doing in Ace Attorney (you know, the whole discovery thing).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I certainly do like her design, cliché it may be.

Though being a detective, Prof. Layton is a far more well-known detective who is also Nintendo-exclusive, albeit 3rd party.

:231:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Lately, I've actually been wondering if Ayumi was possibly taken into consideration for Smash 4, but just like Takamaru, was cut due to fans outside of Japan being unfamiliar with her. Really makes you wonder...:ohwell:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Lately, I've actually been wondering if Ayumi was possibly taken into consideration for Smash 4, but just like Takamaru, was cut due to fans outside of Japan being unfamiliar with her. Really makes you wonder...:ohwell:
Maybe Sakurai didn't think about her for Smash 4 since her series barely had anything since Melee's release (except for having the second game's title theme in Brawl's Famicom Medley). Perhaps he felt that Wii Fit Trainer was enough for a shocking female character since she was a bit more known, similarly to how Duck Hunt having priority over Takamaru since his game is more iconic to the NES (Plus uniqueness).

I'm sure that she might have a better future if Nintendo plans on making another Nintendo Detective Club with the developers of Professir Layton (Assuming one day that they would want to bring back their thriller mystery IP).

D

Deleted member

I doubt she was taken into consideration after Melee's release.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
She needs a new internationally released game at least to be considered for the next Smash really.
That would solve Ayumi's major problem in getting in at this point.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Hey, however still supports Ayumi flood the character polls on smashbros.com. Watch the 01/04/2015 Nintendo Direct for reference.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This may sound crazy, but one of the fans of a Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Bros. page wants to start a fan art contest later this month in an attempt to make her more widespread and help her chances in the Ballot. This goes to show how far somebody is willing to go for the sake of making an obscure character more known to the Smash community.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Really? Where is he? Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit?
Facebook, for some reason I can't really screecap all of of messages. But I'll let you in on several of them.

So this might be what she needs to be more known if what this guy said was true.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey, I have been in that site before.
So you are a fan of that Facebook page? Well that's quite the shock since I doubt that a few people of Smashboards would actually like the page.

Well, at least you know how Ayumi is going to get that popularity boost in the near future. She really is going to need this if Sakurai is ever going to think about giving her a role in a future Smash game (Assist Trophy or character).

D

Deleted member

Assist at most but she'll be interesting. I hope she gets a little recognition

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is there a fan translation of Famicom Tantei Club (or NES Detective Club)? *looks*

Here we go: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/850/

Go spread this to increase recognition of the game first!
Since I wouldn't mind making more support posters, I can easily make one that advertises this very ROM since many people had used it before.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
If not a playable character, at least she may end up as assist trophy in the next smash bros game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, time to share this all over Tumblr and Twitter so that this girl can get more support in addition to that one guy who wanted to do a fan art contest for her. Wii Fit Trainer x Ayumi Tachibana Ayumi Tachibana in Smash should be a thing at all costs! :awesome:

I'm also to going to start replaying the first game all over again in preparation for the end of my semester. I guess I'm in a mood for playing more retro Nintendo classics on my free time.

And if this is true, that Melee trophy she had could have been what we had if we won Classic Mode with her. Damn it Sakurai!

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Well, time to share this all over Tumblr and Twitter so that this girl can get more support in addition to that one guy who wanted to do a fan art contest for her. Wii Fit Trainer x Ayumi Tachibana Ayumi Tachibana in Smash should be a thing at all costs! :awesome:

I'm also to going to start replaying the first game all over again in preparation for the end of my semester. I guess I'm in a mood for playing more retro Nintendo classics on my free time.

And if this is true, that Melee trophy she had could have been what we had if we won Classic Mode with her. Damn it Sakurai!

This hipocrisy of unfamiliarity is hypocrite. What about Mars, Roy, Lucas and all the damn trophies in Melee? I agree with you, Wii Fit Trainer and Ayumi should be a team, and Sakurai still has the ideas from 2001! Make it happen Samurai, unfamiliarity my snout.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This hipocrisy of unfamiliarity is hypocrite. What about Mars, Roy, Lucas and all the damn trophies in Melee? If people vote for her, they should call out this hipocrisy.
Maybe because there were few requests for a Famicom Tantei Club character at the time while Marth was heavily popular along with the Fire Emblem franchise in Japan. Lucas is arguably under the same boat since Mother actually has a bigger fandom in Japan than the West.

Who knows, maybe some requests would be enough to let Sakurai know that we wouldn't mind her in Smash despite being a Japan-only character. Takamaru at least had hella plenty of cameos in the recent years and was left out before his game even came to the West (It still hurts to this very day Sakurai :crying:)

If only Level-5 can just give Yokai Watch a break and team up with Nintendo for a Famicom Detective Club game on the 3DS. If Phoenix Wright or Proffesor Layton games are anything to go by, point and click visual novel games are decently popular titles these days. Just imagine seeing something akin to this on the 3DS.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Maybe because there were few requests for a Famicom Tantei Club character at the time while Marth was heavily popular along with the Fire Emblem franchise in Japan. Lucas is arguably under the same boat since Mother actually has a bigger fandom in Japan than the West.

Who knows, maybe some requests would be enough to let Sakurai know that we wouldn't mind her in Smash despite being a Japan-only character. Takamaru at least had hella plenty of cameos in the recent years and was left out before his game even came to the West (It still hurts to this very day Sakurai :crying:)

If only Level-5 can just give Yokai Watch a break and team up with Nintendo for a Famicom Detective Club game on the 3DS. If Phoenix Wright or Proffesor Layton games are anything to go by, point and click visual novel games are decently popular titles these days. Just imagine seeing something akin to this on the 3DS.

Even if I like RPGs more I would play that hipothetical game.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Mind blown here.

I think Ayumi being even considered this far is quite a feat, really! The closer to hit this "status" is Takamaru, who's even more well-known - and this even dates back to times of Melee, no less! And it's more given out than say, what Lip had regarding potential, yet vague things pointing at her being considered (which might all just be throwbacks at best, frankly).

(And now I have determined who's the "Godfather" to all Assist Trophies)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

You know, I posted that. No lie.

Top Bottom