• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's chain grab!

supercow247

Smash Rookie
:mad: my freind plays as falco and he grabs me and then down throws me and repeats this process!!! This is so annoying!:grrr: For the love of god someone tell me how to stop this so i can kick his ***!:smiliegor

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
Bad News: You can't.

Good News: Ness isn't one of those characters that Falco can camp n' grab. Due to Ness's down B, Ness can absorb lazers forcing Falco to stop his camping game and come to you. This allows you to pick the area in which Falco must use his chaingrab.

Play near the edge when your under 50% that way if Falco get the chaingrab it won't go very far before it ends. After 50% or so Falco can no longer chaingrab you in any circumstance.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Get grabbed, and you will be CG'd. The only hope you have of getting out early is to either be grabbed near the edge (Falco will run out of room) or for the Falco to trip (I believe he can only use a running CG on Ness). Really, just don't get grabbed - that'll solve all your problems.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Everyone's on the right track, but if Falco grabs you near the edge he's gonna spike you :/

"Don't get grabbed" is where it's at. If you wanna learn how, just check some of our guides. I'm sure most, if not all, have information on avoiding grabs.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Everyone's on the right track, but if Falco grabs you near the edge he's gonna spike you :/
If your percent is still low, then the spike shouldn't kill you outright. You could also try DI'ing into the stage if his last grab isn't as close to the edge as it could be..

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Don't get grabbed until after 40... Or maybe higher... You can attempt to buffer in a nair (which won't work sometimes) but DONT mash jump to get out... You will kill yourself by allowing a simple spike and easy ledgehog for the falco... Basically take any attack but a grab or something that leads to a grab... It may sound crazy, but falco can't kill well in mid high percents unless he gets lucky.. And with the cg out of the way there is little he can do to rack up damage.

Don't get grabbed, keep far enough away, get to around 50% to be safe, etc. That's what I do... But then again I'm no pro and I'm one of the weirdest ness players (I spam psimag).

Uffe

Smash Hero
Space better. That's all I can really say about this. If you put up your PSI Magnet, then Falco could just fly at you with his Phantasm. I'm not sure how much lag is in that attack after it's done, though, so that might not be as useful for him. When his Lasers hit your PSI Magnet, you can lag cancel out of it. In other words, you can jump out, roll, attack or spot dodge out of your PSI Magnet when absorb-able projectile hits your PSIM.

I think you'd be better off taking the hit from a Phantasm than getting Chain grabbed. You can either duck under Falco's Lasers, use your PSI Magnet until Falco gets close with his Lasers and lag cancel your PSI Magnet or something you haven't already tried. If you don't want to get grabbed, you'll have to space yourself better. Try to retreat your aerial attacks. After you get up to at least 40%, the CG doesn't work.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
learn to meteor cancel.

the chain grab isn't so bad, although it is basically like a 60% handicap if the falco knows what he's doing... i have a lot of experience with my friend's falco. the matchup isn't impossible. good luck with everything

:)

btw, just confirming uffe's post, after 40% falco can no longer chain grab you
@Funen1: falco can perform a walking cg on ness

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
@Funen1: falco can perform a walking cg on ness
My bad. I checked the Falco boards' CG thread back when I made that first post, and for some reason I only saw Ness under "running CG". Though they only recommend the buffered walking CG if you're already close to the edge - the running one is probably meant to get Ness closer to being offstage.

Uffe

Smash Hero
the chain grab isn't so bad
You're right. Out of all CG's, I'd rather have it be done to me by a Falco since he's got a limit on it. And you've got to admit, 40% is still enough time to get some damage back on him.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
If your percent is still low, then the spike shouldn't kill you outright. You could also try DI'ing into the stage if his last grab isn't as close to the edge as it could be..
Looking back I guess I was bein' pretty vague...sorry.

What I'm worried about isn't the spike itself, but the possible edgeguard that could follow.

Sorry if I'm not making sense. I'm a bit tired, lol

smash64

Smash Champion
the way i beat falcos i take them to smashville,Battlefield best stage vs falcos if you ask me and i stay on top of the platforms and i spam pk fire or pk thunder untill falco lazers or hits me till i get to 40% then after that i can do anything i want, you always wanna keep doing that for every stock well thats just me

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Scrub, sorry...

I'm sure that Falco would just do a double boost grab unless you're a single step from falling off the edge. Good luck with that type of consistency.

Consider jumping, reasonable jumping.:)

Edit: Try counterpicking to Brinstar and Delfino Plaza.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Scrub, sorry...

I'm sure that Falco would just do a double boost grab unless you're a single step from falling off the edge. Good luck with that type of consistency.

Consider jumping, reasonable jumping.:)

Edit: Try counterpicking to Brinstar and Delfino Plaza.
LOL He's no scrub, quit life...let's see your placings and I'll tell you about the best Ness in the Midwest son

You can't double boost grab to get someone off an edge, wtf? You'd just be CG'ing them on the same ****ing platform. Do you mean grab -> dair -> grab again? I'm not too sure if he has enough hitstun to do a regrab 100% unless he's on the lower platforms of BF but that's why Ness just camps the upper platform >_>; Getting a grab on Ness is dumb hard on SV so long as the Ness drops through the platform when the Falco jumps up by doing Isai drop (aka dropping through platform while holding shield...it's possible, hold R + down, w/ down @ around 1/3 force that you do spotdodge with iirc) or just jumps around and fastfall airdodges away from the Falco through the platform or many other different things...Falco v. Ness is still in Falco's favor, just harder w/out CG for Falco.

If Ness didn't auto-lose game 1 once he gets grabbed each stock then this wouldn't be an issue, which is why you should probably focus on game 1. Game 3 it doesn't matter if he wins game 1 since, if he's not a derp-a-derp the Falco will just go FD or PS1, shoot one laser at you at the beginning and sit in shield, shoot one or two more and wait, rinse and repeat until 20% where he has to approach for grab.

NessBrawler

Smash Cadet
I would say make good spacing. if he spams you can easily use psi magnet. That's the safest approach to the sistuation since falcos chaingrab is unavoidable.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Smash64 hit the nail on the head... he can't chain-spike you if you're on a platform, and once you get to like 40% he can't chain-grab you at all. He'll try to bair you a lot when you're on platforms...and at low %'s you might as well let him because you're actually safest in this match when you're between 40% and around 100% damage, but you can counter the bair spam with nair out of shield if you need to.

If you're going to use PSI Magnet, only use it to get yourself back down to about 40%.

Always ban FD against Falco. Ness actually does pretty well on Japes, and does much better against Falco on Japes than he does on FD.

Top Bottom