• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon shows his moves, The Guide. *Added Info: Extended Fsmash* 3/25

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Don't worry, the loss of regaining second jumps after down-b is not that bad. Falcon has probably one of the better recoveries in the game. If you're hit high enough to use the down-b in the first place with out killing yourself, you'll most likely will be able to make it back. Besides, you can still up-B afterwards, and the up-B has been buffed awesomely as a recovery move.

By the way, if you guys haven't already noticed, I'm working on adding a General How to Play section and a video section. I'm still open to any suggestions/videos/info/needs that should be in the guide.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Wow wow at those Nico videos. Likely the best Falcon play I've seen. I guess he CAN string together a few combos here and there. Also the Falcon Punch recovery is really awesome. Helps you cover some horizontal distance AND acts as a sort of anti-edge guard. Cool.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
People of the Falcon forums. There is now a video section. Bring me videos and I will add them.

And I am working on that How to Play section.

SparkElectro

Smash Rookie
Bless you Reaver.

Also, holy **** at that nico video. That forward smash at the end had literally no arc to it, and it wasn't even charged. Very nice.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Loving the new guide's look man.

That jab combo sounds really useful-- I will try it out once I get my grubby hands on the game. =3

EDIT: I also just had a quick idea.. I'll test it myself once I get the game, but I was just looking for confirmation/deconfirmation. Since the raptor boost no longer is combo-able, what about a short hopped raptor boost? At any percentage does the spike send them up enough,but too far away, to combo?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Unforunately, you have way too much lag time after doing an aerial hit with the raptor boost to allow you to combo. At lower percentages, the opponent might even recover from it before you do. Doing an aerial raptor boost is not really recommended, unless you want to try to meteor a reckless edgeguarder.

Also, I tried the jab combo thing on other characters (Toon Link and Zero Suit Samus to be precise) and it was not a guaranteed against them. They could shield after the jabs before I could tilt. Which either leads me to believe that there are only a couple of characters that it might be guaranteed against or that the Zelda that I had tried it against wasn't trying her hardest to shield/dodge things. I'll have to test more. However, the combo is still there if you manage to hit them with the tilt, but it seems that it's more tenuous to pull of on the likes of Toon Link and Zero Samus.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Unforunately, you have way too much lag time after doing an aerial hit with the raptor boost to allow you to combo. At lower percentages, the opponent might even recover from it before you do. Doing an aerial raptor boost is not really recommended, unless you want to try to meteor a reckless edgeguarder.

Also, I tried the jab combo thing on other characters (Toon Link and Zero Suit Samus to be precise) and it was not a guaranteed against them. They could shield after the jabs before I could tilt. Which either leads me to believe that there are only a couple of characters that it might be guaranteed against or that the Zelda that I had tried it against wasn't trying her hardest to shield/dodge things. I'll have to test more. However, the combo is still there if you manage to hit them with the tilt, but it seems that it's more tenuous to pull of on the likes of Toon Link and Zero Samus.
As I suspected, though I thought I'd ask.

Hmm, so it doesn't work on faster characters.. Mind checking the sword users like Marth? I'll probably be fighting him alot, my bro mains him.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
I've played a lot CF vs Zamus, some impressions from my part:

I discovered that double jab to tilt doesn't work against Zamus either, she can just Dtilt you back before you do (hello no hit stun).

Also something to watch out for in that partciular matchup is her down+b. It's hard to explain but my opponent found a way to use it off the stage. It's really easy to get hit by it because of it's insane hitbox and priority, and if you do, you get spiked real FAST.

Dthrow to Uair or Nair doesn't work 100% of the time because Zamus can just nair (I think it's Nair) you right as you jump after her, which most of the time (if she performs it correctly) will outprioritize you. So I started to use other throws with various results because I believe you have to be more "below" her to use Uair consistently. Uthrow sends too much up at higher % though so she can just Dair your approach.

If she gets sent off the stage, try to get above her for a meteor kill. Zamus vertical movement is horrible beacuse she doesn't have a moving up+b so it's harder for her to avoid it. If you approach from below she can downB and take you down with her. You can hog the edge but you have to do it in such a way that you get invincibility frames before she Up+bs. If you don't, the whip will spike you, taking you down with her. Zamus Up+B has surprisingly long range so it's really hard to edge hog because she can just wait the invincibility out before UP+bing.

This particular matchup is very opportunistic.. punish her slow moves (side+b, grab) and don't try to knee her in the air because it doesn't work. Falcon kick when she projectile camps and raptor boost when she doesn't suspect it. Your grab game owns her so get in lots of grabs although they are hard to follow up (for reasons I already mentioned).

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Ah yes, sounds very much like how I play against a Zamus.

For a Dthrow, I've just come to expect that, especially against Zamus, you can't really follow up with it at all until higher damages where they gain just enough hitstun to be hit.

But yes, I also must add about her Down-B sex kick thing, because that move is so freaking ridiculous with it's priority, plus not to mention it has huge knockback if you're hit by the outside of it (a.k.a. her butt) and is a meteor when hit by her feet. I've gotten hit myself by it trying to utilt her, hitting her with my foot, then promptly being blasted away just because my model touched hers.

I also have to add more about her bair, because it makes it just impossible to approach her in the air when she's facing away from you. Bair seems to outrange all of Falcon's aerials.

The scary thing about Zamus is that she's so floaty when she jumps, that if she tries to uair combo you, and you airdodge one of her aerials, she floats so much that she pretty can wait in the air until you come out of your airdodge and hit you anyway.

Chro

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has been asked, but does the fsmash range extension work with the Shake Smash?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Alright, I'd like to announce a new trick you can do with Falcon. Essentially, if you play as Falcon, you'll realize that when Falcon does his initial dash, there is a minimum distance he travels (unless you jump or dash attack). For dash upsmashing, you'd do your upsmash, but always travel and slide along that distance, not really allowing you to really hit anything within that distance. This made dash -> upsmash kind of awkward for Falcon, because you had to be a certain distance away from the opponent in order for it to work.

However, we found out a way to dash upsmash within that initial dashing range. What you do is begin to dash away from your opponent, then you very quickly turn back and dash towards your opponent (essentially doing a dash dance) and then hitting very quickly up on the c-stick. Depending on how quickly you hit up on the c-stick after dashing back towards the opponent will determine how short you slide. This is a great way to hit people within your minimum dash distance, and will also cover up for the start up animation well because you'll be dashing away from your opponent at first.

Could be very good way to help hit people with your upsmash as they're landing on the stage as well.

Edit: Yes, the "shake smash" does help increase Falcon's fsmash range.

And the combos in Chillin's video are very much escapable. I don't know whether to actually label that section as "combo" videos because against any decent opponent, you can't really get combos. You can try to punish airdodging though.

2nd Edit: Added a video demonstrating the short dash upsmash.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I currently have the North American version of Brawl in my hands and will comb over it to see if there are any differences or tweaks from the Japanese version, however I strongly suspect that there aren't any since the Japanese version can play online with the American version.

And sorry for the General How to Play section is taking so long to come to any sort of fruition. It just seems that I can't find any specific general way you always want to play Falcon regardless of what opponent you face. You really have to modify your style a lot to face the different characters.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Just added 3 new techniques to the Technique section. They are the Lag-Free Shorthop Dair and Fair, and autodashing.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
I think you should add that the Falcon Kick has amazing priority now, and it's beastly quick. As I noted in another thread, I Falcon Kicked and canceled out a fully charged samus f-smash. It's an awesome approach now, I find myself using it far more than the now unreliable raptor boost.

Spamming it gets problematic though, as it's knockback then decreases and they'll be able to eventually hit you during the small lag time at the end, though I never really did get nailed (I was able to sidestep) I could see that it could become a problem.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
The Falcon Kick doesn't have amazing priority, but it definitely got buffed. It seems that it mostly ignores or clanks with a lot of projectiles, though there are a few that will get you still. I think that it also ties with most non-disjointed hitbox ground moves, since they're all technically equal priority. However, disjointed hitboxes can knock you out of it.

I find it best for approaching projectile users, and occasionally when I'm falling through the air and someone is coming up to hit me. Otherwise, I would be on the more cautionary side with using the Falcon Kick. However, there's no denying its increased usefulness now.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much what Reaver says on falcon kick.

It's not a good approach because the lag time after it is higher than the stun time should you hit (depending on circumstances).

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much what Reaver says on falcon kick.

It's not a good approach because the lag time after it is higher than the stun time should you hit (depending on circumstances).
Yeah I realize that, said it in the other thread just forgot to transcribe it haha. It's definitely not a spammable move (you'll run into said knockback problem with the lag) but it's a good appraoch in my opinion, great to throw out there, especially when they don't expect it. (I almost never kicked in melee so it's weird when i throw it at my brother and he's like 'wtf?')

When it's not spammed so it's at fresh damage and knockback, at mid percentages I can usually follow with a uair.

And yeah "amazing" priority might be an exageration, but it is definitely better. XP

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
those new "lag free" moves are just auto cancelled that's the name of them and it's an implied move in every characters moves.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Nice guide. Will keep up with it. :p

I've tried creating a Nicovideo account, but it doesn't let me. I dont know what I'm doing wrong at the registration page, and since everyone's saying that it's a epic Falcon vid, I need to see it ;)

Can someone tell me what each space is asking for?

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
You should add the Lucky (falcon) vs. Gimpy (Ganon) moneymatches to the videos section :bee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shfk871riNM&feature=related

Also, you should mention that a flubbed knee is one of those rare moves with a 50% trip rate! Woohoo! It can trip from 0-36% vs. Bowser (for lighter characters, it will be lower).
Falcon's dair can trip from 13-37%, though it only trips about 10% of the time.
His uair, bair, ftilt, and the 2nd hit of his down smash can all trip as well, though only over a small range of damages. :bee:

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
A little something I have to add to Falcon's game: a lot of characters are doing this already, and Falcon is one of the ones who can.

When you stand right up close to an opponent and double-jump as fast as you can while holding towards them on the control stick, you can footstool-jump off your opponent at very close range from the ground.

From here, you can use a Falcon Kick just while your opponent is still suffering from the slight stun of the footstool jump for a quick unblockable hit.

The good thing about this is that it goes through shields just like a grab. Ganondorf can do this as well, but since Falcon Kick is faster, it should be even easier for Falcon players to make use of this move.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
A little something I have to add to Falcon's game: a lot of characters are doing this already, and Falcon is one of the ones who can.

When you stand right up close to an opponent and double-jump as fast as you can while holding towards them on the control stick, you can footstool-jump off your opponent at very close range from the ground.

From here, you can use a Falcon Kick just while your opponent is still suffering from the slight stun of the footstool jump for a quick unblockable hit.

The good thing about this is that it goes through shields just like a grab. Ganondorf can do this as well, but since Falcon Kick is faster, it should be even easier for Falcon players to make use of this move.
Wow, it really is unblockable. 24 damage if both parts of the kick connect! :bee:

Toadstool jumps don't drop shields though, dunno where you got that. :bee:

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Hmm, thanks for the info. I'll add those videos, and I'll mess around with that Toadstool jump. If it can drop shields, then it could prove to be useful to learn, if it doesn't, I don't know if it'll really be much more than just the odd hit you can get in every now and then.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
fsj's do drop shields.

Since your opponent needs go go into the "ow, you jumped on meh!" animation when an fsj connects. And it will connect as long as your opponent isn't invisible/invincable.

It works sort of like an aerial grab.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
One question. How the hell can you get close enough to do that? The only time I can think is if your opponent is suffering from some kind of lag or if you're both in shields after rolling around a lot, thinking the other is going to attack.

*Edit* Oh yeah, and the increase f-smash needs to be updated with all three techniques.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I tried footstool jumping on a shielding opponent, and found that I would do the noticeably much higher leap from a footstool jump, but the opponent remained in his shield.

I could always try again with larger characters, I was trying it on a Lucas, and see if I was only glancingly getting a footstool jump or something (if something like that is possible).

By the way, domiNate, what techniques are you referring to?

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Below is Twinkletoes' post from a discussion of ours in another thread. I also posted a thread in here about my discovery of how to further increase Captain Falcon's f-smash, which twinkletoes lists as (c) . He also talks about the other two methods. I really only find the (c) technique useful because it goes farther than the others.

My thread in the falcon forum. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152326

My thread in the tactics forum.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4110066#post4110066

Twinkletoes's post found on the third page of the tactics forum thread that discusses all three ways to increase the f-smash.

There are two kinds of "stutter step" and this is neither. I think you should name this a sliding smash or something since the mechanic that makes it work is much different and the result is different as well.

The two kinds of stutter step smashing are
a)left on the control, right on the c-stick (which you named)
b)right on the control stick, right on the c-stick (discovered by yours truly)

and then we have your discovery (I'll credit it to you because you put me on the track of finding it)
c) lightly tap the control stick right, smash the control stick left, and smash the c-stick right-- all in immediate succession. (smashing the control stick in the first step will result in a dash attack or a stutter step)

To give you an idea on distance between the three things we have here I went to Final destination and used the dark green arrows on the stage that point outward as a guide. I put Sonic's toe to one tip and measured how many times I would have to do a technique to get his body entirely on the other side of the arrow.

a) Takes 3 stutter steps no matter how you do it
b) Takes 2 if you time it right
c) Takes 1

So in other words, your method yields 3xs the distance of what most people on the Sonic forum have been using, and 2xs what I've been using. Of course, the need for each will probably be situational but it's good to add as much to the ol' technique arsenal as possible.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason why it is different can be seen in the tapping of the control stick. If you smash the control stick as you do in a stutter step you will see your character dash. If you tap and then smash in the opposite direction you will see your character move forward ever so slightly and then quickly run in the opposite direction. To distill that even further, if you just do the tap you will notice that instead of going into the dash animation, the character just takes a short shuffle forward. I tested what would happen if you just did the tap and the smash and instead of sliding the initial short move forward is the only distance added to the smash.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Hmm...ok.

So, that's something I guess. You can slowly walk forward to extend the range of the stutter step fsmash even further. Seems more situational, because it takes a bit more time and gives the opponent a chance of reacting to it. Could be nice to punish characters as they land though, just slowly walk towards their intended landing area, then hit them with an fsmash from further away than they would normally expect.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I suppose we could set up a Falcon finder. The list might be a little on the sparse side, however.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...ok.

So, that's something I guess. You can slowly walk forward to extend the range of the stutter step fsmash even further. Seems more situational, because it takes a bit more time and gives the opponent a chance of reacting to it. Could be nice to punish characters as they land though, just slowly walk towards their intended landing area, then hit them with an fsmash from further away than they would normally expect.
Yeah I don't find that walking thing too useful, I was mostly referring to the

right on analog stick, left on analog stick, right on c-stick. It's barely slower than the other stutter step f-smash methods and you go farther, that's the only one I use.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I should update some of those character match-ups. Kind of out of date, heh.

And make that General How To, section that I said would be up, like, a month ago.

Top Bottom