• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Patch! 1.0.4

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Have you found anything different since the update?:4falcon:

Edit: Removing the placebo effect changes that were listed and listing our confirmed changes here

Buffs: NONE (Captain Falcon needs no buffs!)
Nerfs: NONE (Captain Falcon told Sakurai no thanks!)

The only changes that we can see are the following:
-Moving D tilt and U tilt (some say you moved with U tilt in 1.0.3)

…That's seriously it. So Falcon on :4falcon:

Last edited:

jay-tee

Smash Cadet
Following silently this thread from work. I hope they didn't nerf the captain.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Might just be the "new patch goggles" where we're trying to analyze everything, but the only possible change I'm noticing is maybe the dash attack doesn't go as far… Otherwise, he seems unchanged to me.

Edit: Tested the damage for all moves in training mode and compared them to our move set guide thread and it's the same. I'm not noticing any other changes.

Last edited:

jay-tee

Smash Cadet
This was said in the other thread:

used both versions on falcon's dtilt, it now moves falcon forward by a little bit, means that crazy good move has even more range now
I really hope this is legit.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
After playing Falcon much today with the new patch i have noticed 2 things:

* It's no longer possible to run and the and do a Upsmash causing you to slide forward while doing the Upsmash (It's just called slide smash right?). Now if you do the Upsmash while running, you will completely lose your momentum and do the Upsmash standing still.

Edit: Just got in informed that the sliding Upsmash doesn't work on any characters anymore so it seems to be a universal change.

* I Think his Dashgrab doesn't go as far anymore either, and you don't slide past the opponent like you could sometimes before when trying to dashgrab.

I would consider these nerfs to Falcon, but im not sure if the Grab have been changed so someone else test this too.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Yeah that's what i meant. The range is the same but he doesn't slide as far if im correct.

Last edited:

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
This was said in the other thread:
it was tested by a friend, he used 2 3ds, i just posted for him since he doesn't have an account, he said that its faster and moves falcon forward by an inch. easy to test if u just see if falcon moves forward by repeatedly doing dtilt. just need one more player to confirm this.

I really hope this is legit.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I just tested and this is correct! Falcon moves forward slightly when doing the Utilt but the distance is very small.

jay-tee

Smash Cadet
Oh, man. That's terrible for me at least. That slide was a really useful technique in general but mostly against Rosalina players since you could slide-grab and immediately d-thrown to follow up out of Luma's range.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
so overall no real changes we're noticing except to maybe some properties for his dash attack / grab?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Slide grab always messed me up personally. If you d-throw fast enough RosaLuma can't do much anyways, slide throw just always took me to the edge of a stage and made me lose my double jump a lot LOL

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yesssss the u-tilt walk returns!

I'm also always spiking aerial opponents with it, and never spiking grounded opponents.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
u mean dtilt?
Oops i missread your post and thought it said Utilt! He doesn't move forward when using Dtilt no, he does with Utilt though but im not sure if it was like that before.

Last edited:

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
nice! thank you for testing! my friend probably thought i said utilt too, weird. ppl r talking about raptor boost that comes into my concern, is the kb decreased? it was hell of a great finisher and a game turner. able to finish light weight char at 75-90% when falcon's at 150%+ with rage effect, can u test this? thx lots mate

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
After playing Falcon much today with the new patch i have noticed 2 things:

* It's no longer possible to run and the and do a Upsmash causing you to slide forward while doing the Upsmash (It's just called slide smash right?). Now if you do the Upsmash while running, you will completely lose your momentum and do the Upsmash standing still.

Edit: Just got in informed that the sliding Upsmash doesn't work on any characters anymore so it seems to be a universal change.

* I Think his Dashgrab doesn't go as far anymore either, and you don't slide past the opponent like you could sometimes before when trying to dashgrab.

I would consider these nerfs to Falcon, but im not sure if the Grab have been changed so someone else test this too.
Falcon can still do sliding upsmash. You have to jump cancel it now though, so either have tap jump on or press jump + A at the same time.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
edit: double post. Smashboards seems kinda laggy right now?

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
nice! thank you for testing! my friend probably thought i said utilt too, weird. ppl r talking about raptor boost that comes into my concern, is the kb decreased? it was hell of a great finisher and a game turner. able to finish light way char at 75-90% when falcon's at 150%+ with rage effect, can u test this? thx lots mate
It does indeed seem to be nerfed and KO's characters at a higher percent. Im not entirely sure of the percentages it KOd at before though so im gonna look into it more.

Falcon can still do sliding upsmash. You have to jump cancel it now though, so either have tap jump on or press jump + A at the same time.
Nice, that's really useful! It's hard to do on the 3DS though but will be much easier to do on the Wii U version.

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Side B seems about the same in kill power to me. If it is nerfed then it's only by a few percent.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Side B seems about the same in kill power to me. If it is nerfed then it's only by a few percent.
Agreed.

What does everyone think about the dash attack? Is it just me that thinks it might have less range now?

Edit: added a summary of what we're noticing in the OP. Feel free to comment and confirm / deny anything

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Seems... fine? If this counts as less range than it was ridiculous before :p
Anyways it seems Falcon is pretty much unchanged which is good because Falcon is already perfect :4falcon:

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Seems... fine? If this counts as less range than it was ridiculous before :p
Anyways it seems Falcon is pretty much unchanged which is good because Falcon is already perfect :4falcon:
Yeah you're probably right. I'm probably just overanalyzing and looking for changes since it's that "omg new patch" feeling

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Oh yeah the walking utilt is legit though, so I guess there are some changes.

TheBlueFalcon

Smash Cadet
Good work here. However, I've noticed one small mistake.

Captain Falcon does not undergo balance changes.

He simply grants his opponents more or less mercy as he sees fit.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
Everything looks the same to me. Just the direction of the raptor boost without di changes a bit and a camera shift. Raptor boost still kills sheik at 116%.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
After playing more, I think it's safe to say that Captain Falcon is almost completely the same. The only confirmed thing I can see now is the tilt walking.

One more thing to look at if any of you want to: Captain falcon has a lot of momentum when he dash grabs someone and this used to carry you and your opponent over the edge if you dash grabbed close enough to it. It doesn't look like you can do that anymore.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Oops i missread your post and thought it said Utilt! He doesn't move forward when using Dtilt no, he does with Utilt though but im not sure if it was like that before.
Utilt caused you to move slightly forward in 1.0.3.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Dtilt definitely moves you forward now. It's hard to notice, but use it 10 times in a row and you can see it.

Falcon grab slip off the ledge trick still works fine.

Last edited:

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Dtilt definitely moves you forward now. It's hard to notice, but use it 10 times in a row and you can see it.

Falcon grab slip off the ledge trick still works fine.
He still slides with the dash grab, yes. You can get him to slide over the edge with the opponent?

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Yes. It might be character specific but it 100% works on Sheik.
Grr… guess I'm just having trouble with it today.

So it looks like our walking tilts are the only confirmed changes, which is fine with me. :grin:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Especially since it give us more ways to show our "moves":awesome:

texh

Smash Cadet
he had walking uptilt before the patch, wonder about dtilit though

may be the only actual change

edit: dash attack may have smaller hitbox???

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I'm so glad they didn't touch the Falcon... He felt so great to play as before, and not OP at all. Yay, balanced character! :D

As for dtilt and utilt... they were two of the best changes they made from Brawl to Sm4sh, if they're slightly buffed then that's a YAY from me!

jay-tee

Smash Cadet
I still have the 1.0.3 version of the game and the Captain had a walking down tilt and up tilt. I can try more stuff for you guys when I come back after class.

Top Bottom